Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Videos! :swoon:

Holy hot loving drat, Kanji looks great. That midair lunge command throw looks great, and gives some awesome damage. And it's pretty fast, and covers a good deal of ground, too.

Between this and SG, I'm looking forward to next year's grappler superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Undead Unicorn posted:

EDIT I really hope this gets released here, I loved Guilty Gear and this just might be the game that gets me back into fighters.

If you liked GG, you probably won't like this. GG fans who went into BB hated it, and this game is pretty much just running on the BBCS engine with a couple minor tweaks, retaining even Fatals and the same number of throw frames.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Truspeaker posted:

I loved GG and I loved BB, no idea why you would say that. They are different games for sure, but not in a bad way. That being said, I would love a GG on a modern system with online and redrawn sprites and everything, but BB is a lot of fun on its own merits, and this persona game looks like it will be pretty cool too.

Like GB said, a huge percentage of GG players absolutely despised BB, from the whole two-button throw thing, to throw leniency, and so on. I still personally like both, even if BB has pretty much ruined my ability to do proper Clean Hit loops, FRC combos, and stuff like that.

Though I myself would also like a current-gen HD GG, with proper netcode and all. They'd probably have to make some roster cuts, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

- Kanji's described as "Tager without magnetism" or "Birdie with a Stand".

See, knowing how Arcsys has been treating Tager lately, this would worry me, but the fact that Kanji has a much better ability to control the screen and get in. Hopefully there won't be any matchups as painful as vs Lambda/Rachel.

Akihiko looks very interesting, I have to say. The orb move might be good to keep pressure/blockstrings going, but I've yet to actually see it in action, so it may not be as useful as I'm thinking.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Waterbed posted:

Haha this is the most low tier sounding phrasing ever.

The fate of all grapplers in this type of game, I'm afraid. :smith:

LightningKimba posted:

Margaret can be used as an announcer in-game, as well.

Yessssss. Much better choice than Fuuka. Especially if they bring back her old VA.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well... Potemkin was drat good in AC and pretty solid in many of the other GG games. Mr. Heart was very solid, if extremely difficult to use.

I feel like they just had a lot of hatred for Tager or something because everything about him is bad, and they even made some stuff worse over the iterations.

I don't think Kanji looks like his moveset is that bad so far, but that really was the worst phrase they could possibly use to describe him.

Tager was the character who got me started on grapplers, so I'm not too familiar with Potemkin, and as such I can't hate him. But really, the biggest issues with Tager tend to involve his rear end mobility, and from what I've seen in gameplay, Kanji at least has the ability to get around the room without too much trouble. With what I've seen of his damage, it seems like they've got themselves a decent midpoint with Kanji.

Of course, you still get cases like the people I play BB with, who are dead set on the idea that Tager is broken as poo poo. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I kind of like the new character :goleft:

Looks like she will be a heavy hitter style character as well so double bonus for me I guess.

:respek:

Hell yeah, giant fuckoff axe and what looks to be nice, big, meaty normals. I can be very happy with this. But I'd need some gameplay footage to be really sold on the character.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you can handle a little grappler action in your life, I'd love to see a writeup on Kanji. I think I can get the jist of his stuff by watching streams, but a writeup is always appreciated.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The game's been out for about two days now, and I'm already sick of people whining about how Naoto is broken as poo poo. Even as someone who's notorious for having little patience for putting up with zoning, I've yet to see anything worrysome from her that can't be avoided by just paying a modicum of attention.

Apparently IKs have gone from 'impractical nonsense' to 'overpowered horseshit' in a surprisingly short amount of time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Eeevil posted:

Is the entire point of green and blue exclamation points to tell people they weren't blocking at the right height, or do they mean something else?

Pretty much. They exist to tell you that you did something wrong, tried to break a throw too early, that you are being thrown, etc.

You know, since it's still the early days of the game, I would think that there'd be a bit more variety in who's getting played, but it all seems to be Mitsuru, Naoto, Kanji, and Chie. I want to see some Yosuke and Akihiko action.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was watching some uploaded stuff, and there's been a surprising surge of Yosuke stuff. I gotta say, his buff super looks loving amazing, holy poo poo. I don't know exactly how it works, or what it affects, but it seems to replace the normal dash with a teleport, maybe one that tracks? I dunno, but the buffs seem to be quite significant, and he looks to be pretty drat hard to block in that mode.

So long as it isn't FRKZ all over again, I'm happy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If they did Demifiend, I could see them doing something along the lines of Young Joseph. That being, instead of having a persona, he'd have other spells/abilities bound to his 'persona' buttons.

I doubt they'd throw him in, though. (Though I would very much like it.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Some Labrys stuff got uploaded recently, which I'm plenty happy to see, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VFoMbq5sfs

Goddamn is the damage calculation wonky as gently caress. I don't know if there are hidden things like Guts or whatnot outside of Awakening, but I tend to see so much damage variation in similar combos. I really need to see some full system mechanics for this, because it's just odd to see in videos without proper documentation.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, of course I know about that, I'm talking something more along the lines of guts modifiers at different health ranges, stuff like that. I may be seeing it where it's not there, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

- Labrys in specific has an additional form of scaling. Her 'Axe Level' effects how much damage she does, as well as hitstun caused and some other stuff. She has five levels, Grey, Blue, Green, Yellow, Red, in order of weakest to strongest. She builds it up by simply swinging her axe (hit/wiff/block doesn't matter). If you are at Yellow or Red, it will rapidly drain back down to Green.

When you are at Red level, you can 'bank' in on it by doing her Rush super. This does a completely stupid amount of damage (see 0:45 in that video), but resets her Axe level back to Grey.

A-ha! That explains it. Most of the stuff I've seen that bothered me resulted from said Labrys videos. Everything else seemed normal, which was just more confusing.

Still, I like that subsystem she has going. I dunno, I may end up running her after all. A good damage buff is nice to have.

Edit: Reading through the other stuff, it does seem like they're mostly running with the same basic mechanics as BB, which is to be expected. I think there's some stuff with forcing FC, too, but I couldn't really say too much about that with the videos that are out.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm sure I'm having a brain fart, but what's FC?

Fatal counter.

Anyways, yeah, after looking at stuff, it seems that all out rushes force FC, even on non-CH combos. Or at least Akihiko's does.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Naoto, this is something interesting I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWkXlc5scc
(Specifically, 8 minutes, 21 seconds in)

Look at the damage off of that loving kick. I guess she certainly earned that Hazama color.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, when I first saw that super that drained her life down to Awakening, I thought it was the dumbest thing, but in thinking about it, it could be really good, assuming you can stay alive long enough to let the blue health regenerate. You'll get both the defense and meter buffs, and all your life back, assuming you don't get wrecked after the activation.

Goddamn, this loving game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm looking at Kanji, Labrys, and maybe Elizabeth. There may be a theme involved here.

Also, after watching streams of this for too long, Chie has started to fill me with an inexplicable rage. I think it might have to do with the hailstorm of pain.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RedBoot posted:

True, but if you know your playstyle you can kinda guess. I play Axl in GG, so right now I figure I'll adapt best to Naoto or Mitsuru (she's got to have an Axl color scheme for a reason, right?).

Of course, I play Ragna in BB so I guess it's not really an accurate guess.

Yeah, and with Kanji being Tager with Mobility, it's pretty easy for me to tell that I'm gonna like him. Decent enough knowledge of character traits goes a bit further in this game than most, what with the extremely simplified basic mechanics that the game sports.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Just so my curiosity wanes, what ArcSys archetype is this game missing at this point? Is there a type of character that this game doesn't cover? I know Shadow Labrys' well, Shadow, Yosuke's Ninja, such like that... But is there anything else not covered?

Hm, let's see... We've got shoto, grappler, speedy dude, lame chick(s), ranged physical character, kung-fu lady, boxer man, oversized weapon character, trap character, random item user, copycat character (Elizabeth), and an 'unusual' character (S. Labrys). I dunno, I can't think of much else that's missing. Labrys and Akihiko both have elements of the Order Sol charge level thing, so that's kinda covered.

I dunno, I can't think of anything. All that's left is to get hype for the console release and pray it happens quickly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

We're missing any sort of overly complicated ranged projectile user, ala Venom or Mu.

Really the only big question is when Marie is going to show up. I'm assuming probably console only because they don't want her in the fighting game before she's out in the RPG.

I dunno, I think that kinda describes Yukiko/Aigis. Certainly, Aigis is considered more of an effort character than most, which is more or less why she gets played a lot less than others. But that's more or less hearsay from people who play the game in arcades.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Spiking posted:

Bad Labrys and Elizabeth news

*Sigh* Of course. :negative:

It never fails, any character I show interest in ends up being awful. Well, maybe there'll be a way to be scrubbily effective with Elizabeth and Labrys. That sucks, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:neckbeard:

Now I'm really curious what the minimum damage on a red axe super is, because goddamn, does that just pile on the damage. Maybe they'll give her some new tools in the patch, too.

Also, in regards to Aigis, I think the reason most people have been straying away from her is that she's a bit too much of an effort character for most people, short of some of the top players, like Kaqn. But those who do play her run some seriously amazing matches with her, with a nice balance of hit and run.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBmDDonynw

Mother of shiiiiiiiiit.

Good to see you can double up on status effects.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:siren: Patch notes for the P4A update are up! :siren:

There seems to be a fair number of buffs, but one thing in particular could be scary, and that's the no throwbreaking during Fear. It seems like a very good way for Elizabeth to start stacking status effects on someone, especially if that includes purple throws (or the in-game equivalent).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Fear already does that now actually. And there are no purple throws or anything like that in this game.

(I can't see the page because I'm at work right now :( )

The page lists it as being a change, so I dunno. Anyways, you can have this then:

System changes
after the round ends, you won't get burst meter after 3-hits in a combo
when using SB aka EX moves, you will gain SP meter on top of your SP gain being limited?
fear status: you are no longer able to break throws
max burst: only takes 67% of your burst gauge instead of 68% now
all skills that use SP: your SP gain will now continue even if you use SP moves in a combo
minijump: can no longer cancel the startup into specials

Narukami Yuu
j.2A now combos into j.D
j.D falls faster
2B hitbox has been adjusted
D ziodyne blackout timing (the stage?) is now the same as C's

Satonaka Chie
5B is no longer a fatal counter
SB nouten otoshi (236AorB): knockback on second hit has increased
all specials and SP specials: when charged up, they are all fatal counter
hyper counter (B+D): damage increases if charged up now
god hand (236236CorD): starting proration has been strengthened...?
is now ch state for the entirety of the move

Amagi Yukiko
2B: move is faster overall, duration of the entire move has been decreased
5AA: startup decreased, is faster
SB maharagi: attack startup and persona recovery time is now the same as the D version

Tatsumi Kanji
5B hitback on ground hit and guard is now 0
5B now vacuums on ground ch
j.A hitbox buffed
Ground throw: dash momentum increased, damage up
Uzatte! (B+D) follow up window has decreased, recovery increased
Tsukame! (236+CorD) c ver: if input when crossed up, it'll face the opponent now
Tsukame d ver: when you are on standby the persona is invincible
236236AorB: regarding the chair swing after the attack, the SP gain has been increased on hit and block

Kuma
Dr. Pepper NEO: (soft drink) SP gain has been doubled (20 instead of 10)
Denden Taiko: (thunderbolt atk after landing, causes paralysis) now generates SP on hit or block
Object X: (mudoon curry, causes poison) SP gain is now 0

Shirogane Naoto
03:53 dakanya: fate counter: recovers faster starting from the beginning of the round
03:54 dakanya: seigi no tate, the shield of justice: can only use specials during the hitstop
when the opponent gets caught?

i dont really know naoto at all so i got confused by the next thing and skipped to labrys per request

Kirijou Mitsuru
2B invulernability vs jumping attacks is earlier now
2D has a better hitbox
j.A has a bigger hurtbox and the untech time on ch has been decreased
236236B startup is faster
{4}6+A: for the entirety of the move she is in ch state
Bufudyne: hitbox has been adjusted
Mabufudyne: when her persona is off-screen, the delayed startup has been decreased
Mabufudyne: the range where her persona won't warp has been widened

Elizabeth
C and D Agidyne recovery decreased
Memento Mori now does at least 50% damage minimum?

Sanada Akihiko
5B, J.B: repeat proration... has been strengthened?
J.C recovery increased, increased landing recovery as well
launch? amount has been greatly increased
all D attacks: vacuum effect on airborne opponents has been adjusted
weaving (C ver): lv 0 corkscrew etc followups are no longer possible
specials followed up after sweep: startups are a little faster, startup is now low profile
thunder fist: now paralyzes on block
earth breaker: vacuum effect on airborne opponents has been adjusted

Hanamura Yousuke
no changes

Aigis
Mode Change (B ver): When cancelling Orgia mode, you will gain a little Orgia meter.
Giant Shield of the Goddess 236236(C ver):
Instant Kill:

Labrys
Axe Level: Can no longer generate axe meter via opponent's corpse
Fifth Style, Slash Axe: mashing B+D before the attack will let you charge it
forces counterhit and wallbounces when fully charged
Guillotine Axe: no longer counterhit during recovery?
Stringer "Sword" B,C,D: recovery on all moves has been changed to match the A version's
Stringer "Chariot Punishment" ??? starts up faster

Shadow Labrys
Guillotine Axe: no longer counterhit during recovery?
Fifth Style, Slash Axe: starts up faster
Brutal Impact (A ver.): starts up faster, recovery decreased

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is this coming from a loke test or is it an official list? If it was a loke test, that would make a lot more sense. Arcsys has a tenancy to throw a lot of random changes in those.

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/p4u/topics/update.html

Official list, by the looks of it. I can't read Japanese, so I couldn't say poo poo about the translation quality.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And Rise/Chie's JP VAs are even worse.

Really, so long as they keep Kanji and Naoto's VAs, I'll be happy. Right now though, I'm wondering who they've got lined up to play Labrys.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Par for the course, every character I'm interested in sits at the bottom of the list. :negative:

(Thank goodness this is an ASW game, and the tiers are usually rather close together, so it doesn't really matter that much.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Hah, Meat Dimension and You Should Leave Him Be are pretty clever.
Almost clever enough to make me forget that they're releasing a novel where future-Naoto is partnered with a dude that transforms into a motorcycle.
Almost.

gently caress

You're, uh, gonna have to explain that one. Because all I can think of is Kino's Journey, which fits that description pretty drat well, but is otherwise irrelevant.

Edit: A little bit of research later and OH MY CHRIST WHAT.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

darealkooky posted:

Was this saved anywhere? Failing that anyone have some gameplay you seriously recommend? I haven't been keeping up with this game at all, and aside from an elizabeth video where she did a fullscreen combo into a reset into death from about 80% everything I've seen has been pretty mediocre.

The whole thing wasn't saved, but there is Jiyuna, who always does livestreams of people playing the game, and doing match analysis. He did stuff of the matches surrounding that stream, found here and here.

He's a bit crazy, but he has good insight into the game. He's planning on doing some big character analysis stuff this Friday on his Twitch, but keep in mind he's based out of Japan, so it'll probably start at a weird time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Elec posted:

That's interesting, the few times I've played I get destroyed by Kanjis, or baaaarely eked out a win. That's just off of a few plays at a game center, however. I am also really bad at everything though.

That's the magic of Early Game Grappler Syndrome, especially in airdash fighters. By the time players get acquainted with all of the associated tools, there's this sudden dropoff of victories, and a bunch of people move on to other characters. This leaves only the diehards sticking with them, and leading to some retardedly bad matchups. (Hello CT Tager.)

Won't stop me from riding that train all the way down, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There isn't a problem really, just kind of disappointing that no Kanji's have qualified so far. I honestly don't know where they consider him strength/tier wise right now.

According to the JP BBSes, Kanji is rated down at the bottom, right with Elizabeth and Labrys. The reasons vary, but it generally seems to be that their mixup potential just isn't good enough to get them good confirms, and they pretty much have to rely on the enemy letting them connect. That just comes to me by word of mouth from people who can read those boards, so I couldn't say anything more than that, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That stream I was talking about is live at the moment, if you want to see a player answer questions about characters and analyze matches. There's also archives if you happen to miss it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, somebody found A Thing with Naoto. It's not practical in any sense of the word, but goddamn is it funny. I wonder if they'll patch that out before console?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, apparently, there are people who want to boycott the game because they don't understand the reasoning behind the region-locking. To them, Atlus had this to say:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/06/atlus-persona-4-arena-region-locking-not-a-slippery-slope/

I would recommend against reading the comments, as they are filled with the most horrific Japanophile elitism. I'm just more shocked that this is A Thing that needs to be bitched about.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, I just had the JP/US markets in mind, and wasn't considering the EU perspective. I forgot you guys had to deal with Zen's bullshit. In that case, yeah, it does really suck for you.

From a business standpoint, I can understand it, but the player-side issue also makes sense. You don't want the home company to take a big profit hit, but on the other hand the EU players won't get the game for quite a while, history shows. That really has to suck. :(

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Labrys, look at dat fuckin' armor.

That's the first time I've ever seen that move used. Cue thousands of scrubs whining about it having armor and being unblockable being 'totally unfair' and 'OP'. (This has already started.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Can I get a recommendation of offensive-based characters with no gimmicks? I've been looking, but I don't think I can find a good idea of who I'd like to use with good speed and simplicity. I think Akihiko or Chie, but I can't be certain if those two are good choices for what I'm looking for.

Akihiko has a dash cancel gimmick that powers up his moves in a combo, so he probably isn't for you. Yu is probably your best bet. And he's stupidly offensive. As opposed to offensively stupid. (Get hosed, Mitsuru.)

Really, though, if you want to go with an offense character, Mitsuru is probably your best bet. Very long pokes, stupid high damage, and really easy confirms. And a DP hitbox roughly the size of a city block. The only character who ranks above her consistently is Aigis, but she's much harder to play, even if she has better tools. (Unreactable mixups, for example.)

• Locked thread