Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Crossing my fingers for Maya, Tatsuya, and Yukari to be added as additional characters. poo poo, add in Maki Sonomura too. There's a lot of potential for P1/P2/P3 characters to be added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

So we have confirmation as to why Mitsuru and Akihiko are in the game now. Did we ever hear why Aigis is hanging around? I'm sure there's tons of speculation, but I don't remember hearing an official reason.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Please, please be Yukari. An archer would be awesome, and I really want to see what her costume would be. Very... pink, I imagine.

Even if she's just DLC, it only makes sense to have her. Come on Atlusss :negative:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Well, Aigis isn't the only Anti-Shadow robot created. Could be another one managed to escape the rubble.

Or maybe some crazy scientist on Persona Hill decided to get fancy and make another robot. I don't care what the backstory is, I'd just like to see a picture. Also still crossing fingers for Yukari.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

She would just end up being another announcer like Rise.

From P3, all you have are the Protags, Shinji, Yukari, Ken, Koromaru, and Junpei. The Protags and Shinji can't be in it for plot reasons, unless they want to have Shinji wake up and mysteriously have his powers back, and Minato/Minako have some sort of double appear in the TV world. I already mentioned Ken/Koromaru, and Junpei would be pretty cool as a slower Hakumen-style sword wielder, but Yukari fits the exact same battle stereotype as Yukiko, only with a different element. Sure, they could mix it up, but really, she has no reason to be there. At least Junpei would want to feel like a hero again and Ken would want to fight along side Akihiko.

Yukari could have plenty of motivation to be there, after the Answer. Whether it be to help Aigis with whatever she's doing, or to (P3 end spoilers) search for other ways to bring back P3MC. I've actually been wondering if that's what Aigis's role in P4Arena will be. And besides all this, I think having a character use archery would be a neat idea if executed properly.

Junpei/Koromaru doing double attack poo poo would be awesome.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I'd expect both Aigis and Elizabeth to be there for the one reason, so those spoilers wouldn't really surprise me.

Now come on, ArcSYS/Atlus. Yukari. Complete the trifecta.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Kuai posted:

I wouldn't mind if they would revive Minato :unsmith:.

Althought I never did finish FES, anyone care to spoil me as to why it would ruin P3 if he got revived?

P3's MC willingly sacrificed their very essence in order to seal away Erebus, the world's collective malice, to prevent Nyx's arrival. That said, there could be other ways of reviving him without undoing the seal. I have heard there are Japanese books based on Aigis and Elizabeth searching for ways to bring him back. Popular speculation for Aigis's role in P4A is that she's searching for another way to revive the MC.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Dastardly posted:

"Aha, is this my chance?" Said Erin Fitzgerald as she proceeded to not read some of her lines weirdly.
Erin voices Erika and Trisha in Catherine right? Should mean she's capable of doing a decent tomboyish voice.

She did a good job as the tomboyish Alkaid in the .hack//GU games, and I liked her as Erica in Catherine. Looking at her IMDB shows that she's done a few roles similar in style. I think she'll do fine, though I do love Chie's original voice.

The Teddie voice, though... :smith: I need Dave Wittenberg. I see him as the only person who can do Kefka and Teddie.

edit: This is as good a place as any to post this... P4: The Golden officially headed to US Vitas this Fall.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 2, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Too bad about all of the voice changes so far. Honestly, I'm more worried about Michelle Ruff voicing Naoto because that makes things seem even more unlikely to me that Yukari will be added. :negative: Here's crossing my fingers for DLC.

Looking forward to kicking some asses as Yosuke, in any case.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Considering the insane popularity of this game, you can rest assured that an expansion is in the works already. Who will make it in is anyone's guess at this point though. I suspect we won't start to get details until at least after SBO is done, at the earliest.

I'm holding out hope that Arcsys will manage to convince Atlus to let them put Dojima in the game. Kuromaru actually seems pretty likely since that would bring another very unique playstyle to the game.

Honestly, I'm relieved to hear you say that. There are so many characters that would be a great fit for the game, and that's before even getting into P1 and P2.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Radish posted:

Adachi would fit the game a lot better than Dojima. I'm still hoping he gets in as a DLC character or something along with some of the cast of P1 and P2 (I know it won't happen shutup :()

I wouldn't count anything out as DLC at this point. It will probably evolve if the game does very well... which I can only imagine it doing.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Looks like it's part of a cutscene.

Linking because while I don't know the context, this might be spoiler-y

Looks like Junpei in the hat to the right of Mitsuru, same general silhouette and pose. Some of the others look like they should be recognizable, but not by me.

Third from the left almost looks like Ulala to me. Same sort of hair and clothing, unless I'm skipping something here. Fuuka's posture and hairstyle seem to fit the figure on the far left. The largest silhouette on the right looks very much like Yukino to me, but she hasn't used such restrained fashion for a number of years. Besides those, the only ones that seem easy to pick out are Junpei and Yukari.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Dogbutt posted:

I doubt it could be her because the fact she gave her Persona away to Jun. So she can't even use a Persona

Yeah, but that whole plotline goes kaput when Innocent Sin starts. I assume she would regain control of her powers under the changed plot, since Jun, Eikichi, and Lisa remembering their powers could trigger their memories of each other and start the apocalypse again. It's kind of up in the air in my head.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I think they purposely used silhouettes of established characters and characters with interesting hairstyles and clothing in order to get people talking on who they could be for future DLC.

And I think it worked.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Axle_Stukov posted:

Her new lines in P3P were pretty good, she just had terrible directing in the initial PS2 version it seems. Also a clearer and full image of her new look - http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/018/215/l_5006b641ec95c.jpg

This is awesome. Now do Junpei and Yukari, Soejima! :neckbeard:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Aigis definitely becomes the main "heroine" in P3 in that she's widely popular and takes center stage in the plot near the end, but I think that Yukari is definitely her equal in development. Especially when it comes to The Answer, where she goes through a real transformation as the course of the story goes through. Her actions are incredibly believable and reminiscent of the stages of grief, and so she's definitely my favorite part of the Answer. Not counting that, her evolution as a character in the core game is also something I really enjoy. So yeah, Yukari is my biggest hope at this point.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Colonel Campbell: Seriously though, you really have been playing the game a long time. Don't you have anything else to do with your time?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, I'm seriously jealous of all you kids who have the game early. I think I'll have to avoid the thread until Tuesday because I'm so envious. :arghfist::saddowns:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Cityinthesea posted:

Oh my god Labrys's story mode made me cry like a little girl when I realized why she said she kept saying that she was the student council president.

Came here JUST to post about this. Holy poo poo. This marks yet another Persona game where I cried like a little girl. The whole plotline with #024 was predictable, but it was so difficult to sit through because I knew it was coming. I don't care what anyone says, Atlus are masters at expressing what "life" is and why it's so beautiful.

Also, I am loving terrible at fighting in this game. :smith:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I really like Labrys's voice. I think it's a cute accent, something I don't usually say about accents in video games.

The controls are a bit better after switching the facepad buttons a little bit... that was probably my biggest problem when fighting. Naoto is pretty fun to play as too, so that might help.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Chie's new voice actor Erin Fitzgerald does a really good job. Yeah, her first two lines are a bit weird, but she's also supposed to be overjoyed and screaming with enthusiasm. You can't really get a good gauge on someone's vocal skills with that in mind.

Sam Riegel as Teddie, I imagined would be grating at first. I mean, I love Dave Wittenberg's portrayal of him in the original Persona 4. He's still very bubbly and silly though, so it's not too hard to get used to the differences.

As for Naoto, she did get changed, right? To Michelle Ruff? If you'd not have told me that, I wouldn't even know. She does a very good job at playing the part.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

I love this game very much but I'm pretty sure I'm a horrible person for liking Aigis :ohdear:

Aigis is awesome. Don't feel bad, bro.

evilalien posted:

As far as I know there was no change in VA from P4. People keep thinking that the VA was changed because somebody else was used for P4 the animation.

Oh, is that it? Okay, got it, that makes sense of a few things. I couldn't find anything on IMDB, so I was unsure of any changes to Naoto in specific.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I love all of the silly wordplay with Elizabeth and Teddie. Some might consider them "cheap laughs," but that sort of humor is my favorite.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Aw, man. Looks like Fuuka doesn't have the same voice. She doesn't seem to have a lot of scenes so it's understandable that they wouldn't shill out the money, but it still depresses me.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Spikey posted:

One of the Atlus people said that everybody except Chie and Teddie is the same.

Huh, really? She sounds much more outgoing than in Persona 3. Maybe my ears are just busted, or maybe she just has different direction, or something.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

This game's plot is like one gigantic carrot dangling on a stick to get people interested in Persona 5. So many drat cliffhangers and additional points that are not solved in the narrative but will be added onto, eventually. I can't complain though, because it's really enjoyable and gets my hopes up. :unsmith: I can't wait to see what they have in store.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I only have Mitsuru, Akihiko, Chie, and Yukiko left to do in the story mode. After that, I plan to start honing my skills so I can play online without looking like a gigantic dufus with every attack. I guess so far that Naoto and Yosuke are some of my "best" in terms of playstyle, but I also really like playing as Elizabeth because all of her animations are so chill.

Ending Spoiler poo poo Talk:

So, that voice introduced at the end of Labrys's story, the one that sounds like Crispin Freeman. Think that may have been Philemon/Nyarlathotep? He often lends his voice to Philemon in the Persona series. My other guess is that it was solely the work of the Mysterious Perpetrator of the whole plot.

Regardless, I'm thrilled to see the team back together! :dance:

Elizabeth Spoilers: Oh my god. That whole story was like a love letter to Persona 3. Can't wait to see where things go from there. Go, Liz!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm terrible at fighters and it's keeping me from buying this game but man now I'm curious to know what you mean with Liz :negative:

If you really want to know but don't currently have the money to spend on the game, I can sum up the basis of what happens in Elizabeth's plotline.

Her story starts off with her battling Erebus, trying to find a way to destroy it for eternity. Since the events of P3, she has decided to end her employment as an attendant of the Velvet Room and live and experience life for herself, thanks to the influence of the Main Character. After taking down Erebus, she notices an extremely large disturbance from the location of the P-1 Grand Prix and recognizes how many of the inhabitants are Persona users, some even being owners of the Wild Card. She runs into Aigis and they have a silly little reunion/skirmish before she goes to the Announcement Room to confront Labrys, the cause of the situation. Yu Narukami is also there, and after she dispatches Labrys's Shadow, she asks to fight Yu so that she might understand the power of the Wild Card better. She believes that the key to gaining the strength to destroy Erebus lies within the Wild Card. After she defeats Yu, his friends run behind him and, spurred on by their support, he asks Elizabeth to fight him again. It is at that point that Elizabeth realizes that those who hold the Wild Card aren't strong because of the power they are given, but also because of the bonds they have formed through their journey. Taking this knowledge, she returns to the depths of the soul and happens in front of the Door to Erebus that P3MC sealed. She intends to continue finding a way to release him from his bonds, and when she finds this resolution, she is presented with a tarot card of the Fool, signifying that she has gained the Wild Card. She then walks off to begin her adventure. After that, a lot of the still-images during the credits scene are taken directly from P3, including the main character as he uses the power of the Universe to perform the Great Seal. It's a great sign of things to come.

Sorry for the huge wall of black spoiler text, but I really want to talk about this with people. The biggest reason I've been waiting for this game's release isn't for the gameplay, but for the story aspect. I just gush a lot over this series. That said, I do want to encourage as many people as possible to buy this game. It's quality all around.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Labrys is a kick rear end new character. I think most of us agree on that, in any case. :unsmith: I wish I could tell who does her voice. Shadow Labrys sounds like Wendee Lee, but I can't be 100% sure about anything these days. Whoever does it, the accent is well-done. It's quirky and something I actually love hearing, for a change of pace.

I plan to crank out Mitsuru's story later tonight and then begin focusing on Arcade and Online using my PS3. I don't have much faith in myself yet, so I'm going to hold off on challenging anyone here. :shobon:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are there any tips for playing as Naoto? She seems decent enough to control- I like her speed, and her ranged attacks are nice, but I'm terrible at landing Hamaon and Mudoon, so those are pretty much a waste of SP for me.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Anyway, I just did Elizabeth's story and holy poo poo, Elizabeth is still the best Persona character ever. gently caress Persona 5, now I just want Persona Adventures: Elizabeth's Quest.

Have you done her Instant Kill yet? It's pretty much the coolest thing ever. :allears:

I think my biggest problem is that the Command List is confusing me to hell. I changed my Strong/Weak attack buttons around, but I think the Com. List is still listing their original button combinations and colors. I associate those colors with the buttons on the controller (green is triangle, blue is cross, etc.) and so I'm just getting really confused with how to pull off the more intricate moves. I'm basically casting Tentafaroo on myself by playing this way, but I just don't like the original button combinations.

Is there anywhere online offering the sprites for each character? I'd like to do some fan stuff, but I'd really like to copy the color schemes to the mark.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Thank you!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Every time I pop it, even against the AI, they immediately stop hitting me.

I think it does involve a little bit of foresight, trying to predict when your enemy will attack or at the very moment when they begin their combo.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 13, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

WOW. I've been playing the game in Story and Arcade mode on Easy to get the hang of things, and I'm only just now actually starting to do well on that difficulty setting- but then I went to try Score Attack, which apparently isn't linked to the difficulty setting. I can barely even get one hit in on the enemy. :negative: There goes all of that self confidence I built up.

Is Spectate on network mode a pretty good way to see how other people measure up? I'm confident I'm better than a total newbie because I try to integrate furious actions, throws, and the other gameplay tactics, but I still don't feel like I could hold my own against an expert.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Oh, thank god for explaining that about Score Attack. :shobon: I've been trying really hard with the Challenges to step up my game, but I'm still having a lot of trouble. Still, I hope to get a lot better at the game. It's a blast, as long as I'm not playing against an opponent that can read my every move like in Score Attack.

SA Forum Goons posted:

Spoiler Ending Stuff

The worst part about all this is we have no idea how long we have to wait until a new game will come along and we can find out the answers. God, I'm too excited already.

As for Nyarlathotep, that's my first guess as well- but some things don't add up with him being the Mysterious Voice. I don't think he would have much of an issue working directly with a "human" to reach his own ends. He has done it plenty of times before, and will continue doing it for eternity. Unless he is specifically controlling the human who dumped Labrys into the TV- but we also know that Mysterious Voice is incapable of using a Persona. He may not be able to use a Persona, but either he or his human partner have mind manipulation powers. This could imply that his human friend has a Persona, but then why wouldn't he just send him to enter the television for this experiment? There are just so many ways that this could go that it feels like there's no way to solve this right now.

I guess to sum things up...
1. Can't use Persona
2. Is not "human."
3. Is collaborating with a human who may or may not be able to use a Persona
4. Knows secret information about both the Midnight Channel and Nyx Event
5. He (or the human) possess mind control prowess.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I'm definitely going to bed now. My left thumb is raw from repeatedly failing Elizabeth challenges, haha. #23 has me stuck... I eventually skipped it and did #24, but wow, you've really gotta train to be precise with movements to perfect all of these. It's a fun challenge- but honestly, if you show me someone who has everything at 100%, my mouth would go agape. That's dedication.

They really do help with training for the game itself though, I feel. I've learned a few combos that I would not have expected, had I not done some of the Challenges.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

:psyboom: Holy Christ. So I finally "graduated" from Easy mode and started playing on Normal and playing Online a little bit. I can usually hold my own against players and atleast take them down to their Awakened form, but I am absolutely terrible at fighting Yu. I main Elizabeth, and it seems like every one of his attacks is made to break through my defenses. If they're not spamming Zio, they're spamming the Electric Slide. If they're not using the Electric Slide, they're doing a 5A Combo. It would help if I wasn't so bad at blocking, but there's no hope when they use attacks like Maziodyne. Any tips for this fool of a goon?

In my experience, it seems like a lot of Elizabeth's attacks have a long charge-up time. Maragidyne takes forever to actually commence, but I often find myself accidently using it a lot when I'm too slow using Ghastly Wail. I have terrible luck pulling off Mamudoon and Mahamaon, so I tend not to use them. I tend to rely on a few different combos and her other SP attacks to get through matches, but I make a lot of mistakes when I tense up.

Also, I play online on PSN sometimes, but I lack confidence in my abilities. If you see KnifingGrimace online, that's me.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 18, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Spiffo posted:

With me, it's basically, "block whenever you're not attacking or moving". Low block pretty much all the time, stand-block if the enemy is in the air. From there you have to figure out attack strings and poo poo and know when the enemy is going to switch it up, but keeping defense up should be the default state, I think (i am bad at fighting games so what do i know?)

Yeah... this is kind of how I do things. Unfortunately, I don't usually take time to stand around and just block. If I'm not attacking, I'm running to or away from the enemy. If I'm not running, I'm attacking. Unfortunately, that often leaves me wide open to my opponents' attacks. I'm not a very patient person, and with fighting games, I prefer melee battles to ranged attacks. So when I go to run towards the enemy, I'm open for them to attack me long-range.

I think that's one reason I have such trouble fighting Yu- his electric slide allows him to do a steady flow of damage over a large area, and I prefer to focus on evasion rather than blocking and I just make trouble for myself. It's kind of like fighting Scorpion in Mortal Kombat. I try to stay airborne when fighting Yu because he has so many attacks that flourish on the ground, but it's tough to stay afloat when you're also trying to reliably deal damage.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Static Rook posted:

I haven't played much Liz, but isn't she more of a zoning character? Most of the posts I've read about her on dustloop mention zoning out until you build up enough SP to set up fear+ Memento Mori for 6K damage. I don't know anything specific about the Yukiko matchup. Most of the successful Liz players I've seen on streams so far have played keepaway and frustration games until going in for one big shot, then backing away again and waiting for more SP. Keeping the other player at almost full screen seems to be her preferred range.

I'll definitely keep that in mind while practicing. I'm not very good at playing keep-away. Dashing backwards takes a lot more effort than dashing forward, and I'm not really good with the whole zoning thing. I'll have to practice with that.

The only difficulty I see in that is that, in my eyes, Elizabeth doesn't seem to have a tremendous amount of ranged attacks. There's Maziodyne, which is a long-range hadouken. There's maragidyne, which can strike the ground at varying ranges and probably has a pretty good chance of defense if you're far enough away when you use it. Attack C and D can send out her persona at varying lengths, as long as the opponent doesn't smash it into oblivion. I'm very hesitant to use these attacks on Elizabeth when I'm not working on a combo because her Persona is so important.

Ultimately, I'm playing her far too offensively when she's really more meant to be a 'wait and counter' sort of player? I can totally understand that... but learning how to be that sort of player is a much different story, haha.

edit: Oh, wow, I didn't realize her defense was so low compared to everyone else. That's a huge shame. :smith: It would definitely explain some of the problems I have had though.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

darealkooky posted:

Elizabeth Tips Part 2

Thanks so much for these tips, guys. It re-affirms some of the current strategies I hold, yet also gives me a lot of ideas on how to step up my game. You're awesome!

• Locked thread