Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Revitalized posted:

So my friend told me that the true ending to persona 4 was in March 2012 so thus the timing of the release to this game (Summer 2012) coincides with the story as well :monocle:

Not to mention the last episode of the anime is on the exact day the game ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Apparently she's the student council president at Yasogami High and is trying to get Teddie to stop the tournament. Also, in one of the Persona 3 dramas that was about Aigis, apparently Labrys/Labrith was mentioned as one of the other anti-shadow robots.

Or so I hear, at least

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's been said in several interviews and articles that the usual Persona team is doing the story, non-sprite art, and characters. So yeah, Hashino, Soejima, and Meguro.

EDIT: The Heartful Cry remix in that video is awesome.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

LightningKimba posted:

And this site collects win quotes if you're into that, I can't translate it myself off hand, though.

Ha, Yosuke's win quote against Elizabeth asks for her number.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looking through the win quotes again, there's some funny stuff there. Some choice ones:

Aigis compares Yosuke to Koromaru because of his speed and light weight, then says it would be perfect if he barked after.

After beating Akihiko, Yukiko throws a giggle-fit because of his "naked with a cape" look.

Kanji wants to touch Mitsuru's coat's fur.

Akihiko wonders why Teddie keeps saying "kumakuma" when he doesn't even seem to be a bear.

Elizabeth encourages Chie to eat a more balanced diet and not just meat.

She also wonders how Kanji's jacket can stay on just his shoulders. Does it stick there...?

After beating Mitsuru she asks if wearing bear fur is fashionable this year.

Other interesting stuff:

Naoto seems to have heard rumors about an anti-shadow weapon (Aigis) but says the specs are higher than the rumors.

Yu recognizes that Aigis has the wild card. Likewise, Aigis says he's like the P3 MC.

Aigis says that Teddie also knows the joy of gaining "life" just like she did.

Akihiko has been training since the time he fought Aigis 2 years ago.

Elizabeth says it's been a while since she last saw Aigis and comments on her new arsenal, mentioning that she's expecting fireworks.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hah, Meat Dimension and You Should Leave Him Be are pretty clever.
Almost clever enough to make me forget that they're releasing a novel where future-Naoto is partnered with a dude that transforms into a motorcycle.
Almost.

gently caress

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

zarron posted:

I thought Atlus had control over the persona series?

I don't think Atlus would argue with more money.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The other voices are paid DLC :(

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Killbot posted:

I hope we see more of Junpei. I think he's part of Mitsuru's "Shadow Worker" group now, along with Yukari and Aigis

As well as a bunch of other silhouettes... One of which looks to me like Nanjou/Nate's. I wonder...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Finally unlocked Elizabeth's story mode tonight. Labrys is loving long for the amount of actual fights it has, but was interesting enough to hold my attention. I am also super loving excited for Persona 5 now if it picks up right where this game leaves off...

Well, in the past Hashino (I think it was him at least. Could have been Meguro.) has said that if they made a Persona 5 it would be very different from the current games. I'm assuming the next one will be "re-invented" kind of like the transition from P2 to P3, but with social links and such being kept and expanded on.

The hook at the end of most of the characters' stories seemed to me to be leading to another Arena game. The Guilty Gear XX to this one's X, or something like that. With the research the investigation team is doing into Kirijo group and the Moonlight Bridge at the end of the game and Labrys joining the Shadow Ops as they presumably return to Tatsumi Port Island I'm betting the next game is gonna be more P3-themed. Persona 3 Arena? That would be a confusing title for a sequel though.

Also I'm guessing the entity that shows Labrys Yasogami High and pretends to be a shadow at the end is Nyarlathotep. He mentions that he won't be defeated "again," for one thing. Not sure who the human who's working with him is though. It was hinted at that they lived in Inaba though.

As for Elizabeth's ending, I assume it's going to be something that's either continued in the next fighting game or happens off screen.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

To make Persona 5 different from the previous games you have it be the Investigation Team and Shadow Operatives teaming up and globe trotting to stop whoever the mastermind behind this game was and the human culprit he was teamed up with, and find out who Labrys' mysterious voice was. If all the set up was just for another fighting game, and not Persona 5, then this is me making fart noises and going right back to not giving a gently caress about Persona 5.

A mainline persona game with a plot directly relying on that of a previous game/spin off game wouldn't make that much sense. The numbered entries of all the SMT games (barring DDS) all work as stand alone titles. Persona 5: Persona 4 Arena 2 would alienate a lot of people no matter how awesome it would be.

Commence with the fart noises.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Spiffo posted:

The eerie voice is the one that controls labrys, right? I got confused about who you were referring to each time (since neither of them are named)

I just theorized it because there aren't any known candidates for the Malevolent Entity that would know about Nyx and S.E.E.S. However, there is a small pool of people from P3 who are aware of the events (Kurosawa and Takaya could have told him, and if it's true that Takaya is ruled out by virtue of his persona, then...)

I still want to see Takaya in a sequel though.

edit: wait, though. you need a persona to push someone into the TV in the first place. That would rule out Kurosawa, if anything.

Well, Nyarlathotep would know all about SEES and the investigation team since he's half of the collective unconscious. Like Philemon, he's always watching. He may have been defeated in Persona 2 and is likely weaker because of it, but he can never be destroyed. If Erebus can regenerate in a single year, then Nyarlathotep probably can as well to an extent.

Also, it's probably not canon but in the Persona 3 novel it's implied he was the one that told Mitsuru's grandfather about the shadows and guided him to instigate the Fall.

As for Labrys being put in the TV, she herself has a Persona so I'd imagine she could literally be tossed in regardless of who's tossing her.

So how do you unlock more title options? I barely have any more than I started with. Ham Ham Ham will have to do for now.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gearhead posted:

The damndest things can be canon, Labrys herself has a stray mention in a single track of a drama CD before this game.

Well, at least we know Trinity Soul isn't canon since the games already contradict it. If it was Akihiko couldn't be part of the Shadow Ops, not to mention we've seen adults summon personas. (Yes, adults not being able to use personas was a thing in Trinity Soul. It was kind of pretty terrible aside from the kickin' rad soundtrack from the Gurren Lagann/Soul Eater guy)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Spiffo posted:

You need to re-check Akihiko's true ending. He goes back to college to become a cop, even hoping to work his way up the ranks

Although it is true that Mitsuru wants him to keep in contact with both so they can pull him into missions. If he loses the ability to summon his persona though she can't really help that, can she?

Well, he said cop or politician. Cop is much more likely. However, Trinity Soul specifically has him mention that in the same year as the incident with Nyx (which is never explicitly mentioned aside from saying Personas have been useful in the past) he formed a team with the main character's brother and the guy that was sort of implied to be Ken that was meant to cover up and prevent Personas.

Then there's also the fact that Atlus themselves said it wasn't canon in the P3P artbook, so yeah.
While we're on the subject, the new Naoto spinoff novel with the robot guy who turns into her motorcycle was almost immediately rendered non canon. P4G spoilers: There's an epilogue that takes place one year after the game's end (same timeframe as the book) and Naoto looks nothing like the design used in the book.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FSLink posted:

Wasn't Nyarlathotep involved with the Nanjo group? Which pretty much turned into the Kirijo group later on? Also the person at the end of P4A apparently has the same voice actor as his Persona 2 version in both Japanese and English, kind of much for just a coincidence.

The Kirijo group broke off from the Nanjou group and seems to have become more popular and influential. I don't think Nyarlathotep was specifically involved in the Nanjou group. He manipulated Kandori, the head of SEBEC, but the stuff Kandori did was mostly of his own volition. Nyarly just gave him a helping hand IIRC.

Also you might wanna fix those spoiler tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Persona 4 ends in March 2012, but in Golden if you get the Good Ending or better you actually have the period from December-March playable to max out S.Links/grind for more levels/go on a new Ski Trip/etc. Then 2 months later in May Arena happens, and then 4-6 months after that (maybe longer, I haven't played it myself yet) there's a new non-playable epilogue in Golden if you got the True Ending.

Then a few years later there's that poo poo with Naoto and the robot motorcycle but nobody wants to talk about that (see also: Trinity Soul).

Nah, the Naoto book is supposed to take place the same year as the epilogue, which is one year after P4. Trinity Soul is 10 years after P3 so... 8 years after P4? Regardless it was pretty much officially disowned by Atlus.

• Locked thread