Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

LightningKimba posted:

Another part of the game will also explain how Aigis from Persona 3 arrives in Inaba

Unless there's plot stuff in the latter half of The Answer that would kill her or something, couldn't she just take the train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Not sure what the big deal with Chie's new VA. She sounds fine to me. :confused:

We were cringing pretty bad when Chie first showed up in story mode. It was kind of terrible. Then she started talking like a normal person though and she sounds perfectly fine so I guess she was only really ear-splitting for those first two lines.

Teddie's taking some getting used to, too.

Labrys I can't get enough of. She's got that accent and I love listening to it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

So far I've been having a good time with Yukiko, she's nice and straightforward and combos easily. Her W-Persona moves seem to invoke Lambda-11/Nu-13 from BlazBlue, and I always hated that character...

I can't seem to figure out jump-cancelling, though. One of Yukiko's challenges requires it and I got stuck there.

I'm looking at delving further into Naoto. I was disappointed when I found out that her traps disappear when I get hit. I mean, of course they do, I don't know why I was expecting otherwise because that would be completely broken.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

poo poo, for real? Crap, then I really need to learn when to shoot it. I seem to gently caress up trying to cast Bufula and cast Marin Karin and then get bashed in the face instead :downs:

I'm not sure if this is a continuation of the joke or if he confused you, but just in case, it's a reference to her default AI in persona 3. It was bad.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Finally got a chance to cut my teeth online.

Man, I have no idea how to fight Artemisia, and it feels like her Bufudyne does something like twice as much damage as anyone other character's supers. Mitsuru is pretty good too but it's her persona that's really bringing the pain from anywhere and everywhere.

The online's fun, though. I jumped into just ranked matches with a Mitsuru-colored Yukiko and I feel like it matched me with people around my skill level pretty well. Yukiko's fun to play - she's got great long rang and short range options, and if you give me any room I'm going to take it and probably Fire Boost. I ended up using Fire Boost a lot. Sometimes all the way to +8 if I'm playing against somebody really passive.

Her awakening super is the poo poo, especially after a bunch of fire boosts. Just get all up in people's faces and give 'em the old push-pull - that is, use the C version to push them out with deadly fire columns, then the D version to pull them back in with more. If they block the push, it still gives me plenty of room (and time) to use Fire Break before they can even get up, and people generally try to block the pull anyway only to eat a face full of fire (makes sense, the automatic reaction to a super animation is to block it). I squeaked out lots of wins that way.

I need to use Maragi more. I fought another Yukiko who out-fanned me pretty good and fired off Maragis that I took like a punk every time.

PS3 version here, I'd love to play against other scrubs like myself. PSN is the same as my AIM, and I'm on skype too as SA_Spiffo

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I'm told that Yukiko's Dia absorbs projectiles - how well? Does it work against the beam? Other Yukiko fans? Gunshots? This could be a game-changer when fighting Naoto (right now I rely on fan-throw > fire boost until they decide that fire boost is a problem and close the distance themselves)

edit: nice, that's awesome. Is there a writeup about what it does and does not soak up? I mean if it works against Maziodyne, it should work against just about anything.

What about projectile supers? (example: Yu's Ziodyne, other Yukiko Maragidynes, Naoto's shooty super)

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 10, 2012

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

There's probably another way to unlock Navigators, probably via Arcade or something. I did a run through Aracde as Yosuke, and afterwards unlocked Yosuke as a Navigator. There's a variety of reasons why that might have triggered (cleared on Normal, never lost a match, cleared as an investigation team member...), but outright purchasing them aside there seems to be more than one way to unlock them.

At the very least, I know I haven't done one thousand Instant Kills.

Did you unlock him as a navigator or as the announcer voice?

In the options you can unlock announcer voices by beating arcade with that character. They'll read out the "ROUND ONE!" kind of stuff in a match. The navigator is something else entirely.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Terper posted:

Ugh, another loving robot? God, this is gonna be awfu-

"SORRY AIN'T GONNA CUT IT. WHAT WERE YOU GONNA DO IF YOU HURT ONE OF THE STUDENTS HERE UH?! :rant:"

:swoon:

I was also dreading it, like "Ugh, just wait for her to start calling Aigis loving SISTER!! goddamn"

Then she started actually talking and it's great

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

LibbyM posted:

*Alternatively, accept the match and play the most lame annoying way possible trying to bait them into rage quitting yet again.

If it's anything like how they track DCs in BlazBlue, won't that also mark YOU with a disconnect as well? I'd rather just reject the match in the first place to keep my own record clean.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

LibbyM posted:

Does it really work that way? That's awful. Someone could potentially get a red name if they were just pretty good early and happened to get matched up against a bunch of rage quitters. That person would then have a hard time finding matches for ages until they could improve their record.

I could be mistaken and thinking of a different fighting game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Hyun. posted:

There is no 'rematch' option. You have to go back to character select every single time. This means three load screens between matches. This is dumb as hell.

Oh yeah, I guess you're right. At least they load really quickly, quickly enough that I never even noticed.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Watch as a DLC character pack comes out and it's nothing but Metis and Ken.

Metis is about as likely as the P3 protagonist.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I've only gone through a few of the true endings but: (spoilers for any persona game)

The dude at the end isn't named, but I agree with you guys that it's probably Nyarlathotep. Who else could it be, though? Izanami, who was more involved specifically with Shadows and the midnight channel itself? After all, the midnight channel disappeared when she was defeated - if she's still around she could bring it back. The fact that it was a man's voice means nothing.

Then again, whoever it is knows about the Kirijo group. Izanami and Nyarlathotep both weren't really involved with any of that stuff. They could have learned about this stuff through Labrys, although the being also seemed to know about Nyx, which Labrys wouldn't know about.

There were also some suggestions about a person involved who is a human and can't enter the TV world. I'm not so sure about "Can't". Given what we know so far, and what we know about how Arcsys makes their poo poo, Takaya seems like a good candidate to team up with one of these godly beings. He knows about Nyx, he's been through a lot of this poo poo already, and his plot thread was never resolved since everyone forgot about him for a while when the dark hour disappeared. It's implied that he didn't have long to live anyway, but a godly being could easily help him out with that. He'd also be the kind of character arcsys would love to include in the sequel, since he has a persona already and a style way different from everybody else.

Basically, none of the villain candidates I know about would know about Nyx and how they "repelled a god" so they could pretty easily bring in Takaya to resolve that discrepancy.

gently caress I'd love Takaya in a sequel even if only for the special interactions vs. Akihiko alone.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 14, 2012

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

How do we know that the human doesn't have a persona? Did the investigation team / SEES assume so, or was it explicitly said by big bad spirit?

Also, Takaya's plot thread is never resolved. The SEES team purposely leaves him alive. What happens to him is never addressed. It's assumed he died because of the whole "has to take persona suppressant drugs" thing, but there are ways around that (either master your own persona, or intervention from a powerful being (the latter is how Yu got his, after all)

Cityinthesea posted:

Also the Eerie Voice doesn't talk about past stuff the investigation team or S.E.E.S. has done, does it?

In Akihiko's story, he says that his skills are impressive, and no wonder he was able to repel a god. This is pretty explicitly referring to their fight against Nyx. The pool of people / beings who are aware of the Dark Hour and the fight against Nyx is probably pretty small, meaning the being is either connected to it, or knows someone who was.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 14, 2012

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

In at least one of the endings it says something along the lines of "I do not have a Persona and cannot enter the TV."

Oh, well if that's a quote from the mystery human dude then that narrows it down to pretty much just Kurosawa or someone we've never heard of, doesn't it?

Also, how many people have joke endings? I've heard people talking about joke endings but I haven't encountered any so far.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Cityinthesea posted:

the Eerie Voice is different than the Malevolent Entity, I don't think the Eerie Voice is even in Aki's story. He's only in the Investigation team's stories (minus naoto).

The eerie voice is the one that controls labrys, right? I got confused about who you were referring to each time (since neither of them are named)

I just theorized it because there aren't any known candidates for the Malevolent Entity that would know about Nyx and S.E.E.S. However, there is a small pool of people from P3 who are aware of the events (Kurosawa and Takaya could have told him, and if it's true that Takaya is ruled out by virtue of his persona, then...)

I still want to see Takaya in a sequel though.

edit: wait, though. you need a persona to push someone into the TV in the first place. That would rule out Kurosawa, if anything.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 14, 2012

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

The Dirtyness posted:

I've been playing through Persona 4 again for the past few months and unless something has changed in Arena I don't think this is the case. Namatame doesn't have a persona - he doesn't face his other self after you defeat his shadow.

He was given the potential by Izanami, though, and had he been more aware of what he was doing he totally could have used a persona. Probably. Yu and Adachi could without a fuss. Everyone else only got that ability when they got personas, and they were pretty explicit about the whole "now that I have a persona, I can go in like you can" thing.

The whole Namatame thing was handled pretty sloppy, frankly. It would have been cool if he summoned a persona in order to "save Nanako" rather than that fakeout last boss fight. All the themes and concepts they left half-explored is a discussion for another thread though. Point is he was going crazy so he never got the chance to summon one, otherwise his situation was the same as Yu's and Adachi's - they never faced their other selves either.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

posting up a storm here but I just wanted to add:

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

As for Labrys being put in the TV, she herself has a Persona so I'd imagine she could literally be tossed in regardless of who's tossing her.
poo poo I never thought of this

edit: and in fact your post completely disassembles the logic behind my theory

edit2: my online title is Furious Action After Midnight AWWWW YEEAAAAH!!

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 14, 2012

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Well, at least we know Trinity Soul isn't canon since the games already contradict it. If it was Akihiko couldn't be part of the Shadow Ops, not to mention we've seen adults summon personas. (Yes, adults not being able to use personas was a thing in Trinity Soul. It was kind of pretty terrible aside from the kickin' rad soundtrack from the Gurren Lagann/Soul Eater guy)

You need to re-check Akihiko's true ending. He goes back to college to become a cop, even hoping to work his way up the ranks

Although it is true that Mitsuru wants him to keep in contact with both so they can pull him into missions. If he loses the ability to summon his persona though she can't really help that, can she?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

randombattle posted:

Eh I have my doubts about these things... I think everyone is forgetting that the mysterious people did all of this to get at the Investigation Team and not at the ex-SEES people. I mean Laybris' shadow was doing everything they wanted in drawing the Investigation Team into the TV world and everything got screwed up because no one intended for the Shadow Ops guys to come to Inaba and figure out the TV world.

Seems way more likely that it was another Adachi style of cases where the bad guy is going after personal objectives. It just doesn't seem Nyarlathotep's style given his plans in the other games. It's always been larger and more about society as a whole. This time it seems to be entirely personal against the Investigation Team and guiding Laybris' shadow into a situation where it could do the most damage to them and only them just seems unlike other Persona bad guys.

Fair point about him, however, I disagree that it had to be personal. If the motivation was to draw out powerful shadows by reverting personas, the investigation team would be targeted because of their personas, not because of anything personal like revenge.

The reason it had to be cruel fighting and suffering for the sake of suffering was because of Shadow Labrys - that was her MO (and one perfectly suited for the real villain). It makes sense to target a group of kids with powerful personas than to target the former S.E.E.S members and risk any further fuckery that comes from the name Kirijo.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

As someone who likes to play Yukiko, I loving love fighting Kanji players because most of them aren't that good.

If he shocks me, either nail him on the approach or dash if he gets too close. People are learning not to try to grab every time, though.

If they back up, start using Fire Boost and then just loving duck when they jump into the air because they're going to try the dive grab every single time. This leaves them standing in front of Yuki (or anyone really) waiting to eat a combo like a punk. If I'm in awakening this is the time for the ol' push-pull.

that said, someone who knows what they're doing can still wreck my poo poo

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

SA_Spiffo (plays Yukiko)

That's my skype, if you want to add me on PSN it's going to be adamkirby1. If you have voice that's cool, otherwise feel free to skype me. I'll probably be free tomorrow or maybe tonight.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I added everyone on this list, except for SA_Spiffo, because my PS3 insists no one with that name exists.

That's because it's my skype.

I'm usually not playing matches online, and when I am I usually seek out voice chats anyway.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

With me, it's basically, "block whenever you're not attacking or moving". Low block pretty much all the time, stand-block if the enemy is in the air. From there you have to figure out attack strings and poo poo and know when the enemy is going to switch it up, but keeping defense up should be the default state, I think (i am bad at fighting games so what do i know?)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Waterbed posted:

Press any variation of D.

Yeah, as Yukiko, Artimisia is a pain in the rear end from anything less than a full screen away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Fumaofthelake (plays Elizabeth)
RevolverChicken7 (plays Yosuke)
Static_Rook (plays Kanji)
cveachmartin (plays Yukiko?)
Cake__Attack (plays Labrys/Yu)
Drinkmorewater (plays Random)
FreyaXI (hasn't unwrapped game yet)
purgatos (plays Elizabeth/Labrys)
Dezinus (plays jobs)
LawnGnomeAttack (plays Kanji/Chie)
MangaCarta (plays one (1) Labrys combo)
SA_Pause (plays Yukiko)
DarkHamsterlord (plays Smash Bros)
sidereal89 (plays Mitsuru)
Zexerous (plays Chie)
SA_DIZZ (Plays Teddie)
NeoDrazko (Plays Yukiko/Naoto)
MrAristocrates (Plays Kanji)
jmcrofts (plays Kanji)
Antignition (Plays Akihiko)
MotivatedSlacker (plays Mitsuru/Labrys)

Subtracted mine, I'm into other games at the moment and it was just my skype address and not my PSN anyway

• Locked thread