Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I found this live performance of the Brubeck tune "Forty Days" and am currently completely obsessed with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PQBYEkHHg

Absolutely destroys the version on 'Time In' imo. Paul Desmond's solo is amazing as usual, but Dave just gets insanely delicate in the middle, it's beautiful.

The main reason I wanted to post it though is cause it's such a harmonically simple, very non-jazz progression, and it occured to me you really don't hear this kind of simple tonality in a jazz context too often. Could anyone suggest some other stuff like this, that is jazz but built around more traditional harmony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

There's a group I really love that came out of the modern swing revival that I love to death too that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned here: Squirrel Nut Zippers. It's great when I want to listen to something upbeat and fun, but they've got some good slower songs too.

The only album I have is 'Hot' but I love it so much. It's been in the cd changer of my car for like 2 years, I refuse to take it out. 'Bad Businessman' owns so hard.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Orthogonalus posted:

Jonathan Kreisberg plays a gorgeous version of Autumn in New York

This Ahmad Jamal version is awesome also yet totally different stylistically (I'm somewhat obsessed with his piano playing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgMLkvkqK1o

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9W9rc-P9UQ
Is 'eargasm' a real thing? Because I think I just had one.
I'm such a sucker for bass.

That's a good track but it's post-Stuart Zender who is an amazing bassist. They were just a much better band when he was on bass imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im30j3Z2B54

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Azure_Horizon posted:

Anyone else excited for Esperanza Spalding's next album, Radio Music Society? Chamber Music Society was interesting, but I want to see that blended with her initial pop jazz style.

She is amazing in general, so I am excited by default. Her first album is still probably the best imo, although I'm really liking a lot of her live covers. This one is great, it's an MJ cover so I guess it's funk but with jazz rhodes and the playing is incredible. She's great at playing and singing at the same time and makes it look effortless. The drummer is so insanely in the pocket too, he's one of those players who makes me want to quit. Sound quality kind of lovely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioAdm1fbZbw

Her Stevie Wonder covers are always so good (no offense ghost MJ).

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DownItGoes posted:

I'm looking for some really fast and energetic/explosive swing jazz big band music. Sort of like Mingus, posted above, and Sing Sing Sing (With A Swing).

I'd absolutely love some recommendations for this sort of stuff, I've already checked out the examples in the OP.

Have you ever checked out Squirrel Nut Zippers? I think they were mentioned in this thread, but they aren't in the OP. This track in particular comes to mind when I think "explosive swing":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoGSJd5d7kA

They're a modern swing band, but you really can't tell by listening to this stuff that it wasn't recorded in the 30's or 40's. They're really an awesome band that I wasn't capable of appreciating in 7th grade when the video for 'Hell' was super trendy or whenever that was.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

theradiostillsucks posted:

Is it just me or does this stuff fall more neatly under the chiptune umbrella? Don't get me wrong, dude is talented, but it took less than a year after YouTube's rise for me to get tired of nostalgia milkers covering old video game tunes. Maybe it makes me a dick or an elitist of some sort, but whenever I see people doing video game covers, I almost immediately write them off as a novelty, regardless of their underlying talent.

Sorry to quote such an old post, but why is this the case? Sure some guy playing the Zelda theme on guitar in his bedroom is cliche as poo poo at this point, but plenty of videogame soundtracks, especially from the 8 and 16 bit eras, are very well composed pieces of music. All of those classic soundtracks people love to cover were written by professional composers. I like videogame cover bands (if they are good players at least) because they make some of that legitimately good music more accessible and listenable, especially for those older games that had nothing but square and triangle waves for instruments.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

theradiostillsucks posted:

It just feels like the musical form of fanfiction. The whole retro nostalgia thing has always struck me as kind of silly, at least as far as trying to sell or market it. If you're legitimately into it, fine, but I feel like a lot of video game cover bands are just neckbeards pandering to fellow neckbeards; in effect, no more culturally relevant than the hordes of Hot Topic-purchased, faded, XXL Nintendo tshirts that will be cluttering the aisles of your local thrift store for years to come.

If you're trying to sell or market it, definitely. I think if you're trying to sell covers in general then you're kind of missing the point. But as far as "videogame bands", I think it really just boils down to what tunes you choose to cover. Like if you're playing anything from a Castlevania title, then you're playing some pretty sophisticated modern Baroque music, so it's hard for me to deny somebody doing that as long as they are executing it well, it's just good.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

LordPants posted:

Detail Brubeck's contributions other than doing a gimmick album which contained an unexpected hit.

Because that's all I know of him.

He wrote an incredible amount of original music but I really like the whole Time series, I personally think Time Further Out is as good as Time Out. Time In is full of really good composition although I thought the renditions they recorded for it were weak compared to a lot of live performances. His improvisation is still some of the most original I've ever heard too, when he gets weird its something special. I mean I'm not sure how you personally measure 'contributions' here but make no mistake the guy was stupidly talented with a decades-long career.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Romantic Warrior

I was obsessed with that record as a teenager, specifically the title track which has some of DiMeola's best acoustic playing. Stanley Clarke kills it on every track too. I still love it but in retrospect the entire album is just absurd, which I guess should be expected of scientology-fusion. In high school though I just couldn't fathom how anyone could not like it.. I mean the cover is literally a knight in full medieval armor riding a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, listening to Getz/Gilberto now. Actually, finished while I was typing it, listening to Stone Flower now.

Hope you enjoy Stone Flower, it really is an incredible collection of songs. I'll often hear people dismiss it as "elevator music" and I get really irrationally upset and angry about it. :mad:

• Locked thread