Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
That's a really fantastic OP. I met my wife because she was directing a jazz choir I was singing in. She's taught me a lot about jazz singers I didn't know about, and jazz singers in general. I still prefer instrumental jazz in general, but it's definitely broadened my horizons. Ella Fitzgerald is honestly my favorite vocalist in any style. She had style, class, and amazing skill.

Another great popular jazz singer is Kurt Elling. He's still active today. He sings standards and his own compositions/arrangements, but his big claim to fame is writing vocaleses for popular jazz songs from many influences. His most famous is "Resolution", from Coltrane's Love Supreme. I highly recommend listening to it:

Kurt Elling - Resolution

As a singer, I'm seriously jealous of Elling's intonation and tone.

Most of the instrumental guys are people everyone's heard of - Coltrane, Monk, Dizzy, Charlie Parker, etc., but I thought there might be a good chance someone might be interested in Kurt Elling. I'm really not a huge fan of vocal jazz but jesus christ this guy hits it out of the park. I saw him do Resolution live in concert and he just nails it.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread