Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Mightaswell posted:

Guys, let's stop this nonsense about drivetrain handling dynamics, and go back to arguing about how an LS swap will ruin the car, while simultaneously jerking off over youtubes of Ryan Tuerck' 2JZ swapped 86, LIKE NORMAL GT86 communities.

I thought we were all suppose to mess are paints over the idea that Subaru might put the 300GT engine in a production car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

This is correct: and "that when not moving (zero velocity) the coefficient of friction of an interface is higher than when moving"
Not moving for the tire-road interface is when the tire is rolling.
Moving is when the tire has broken loose and is sliding/slipping past the ground. The coefficient varies with the relative tire-ground speed. If it didn't, drifting wouldn't work.
The transition from rolling to sliding is fairly abrupt, with the kind of understeer I was talking about, verging on sliding, being really really ugly.

The understeer where the tire is rolling exists for both FWD and RWD cars. It's down to the tires and not the drive: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/09/in-search-of-understeer/

The friction circle keeps getting brought up because it's a reminder that you once you get front tires sliding, which is easier in a powerful enough FWD car, you lose a major lateral force for turning.

That link filled my phone screen with popups and activated the ringer. What the gently caress. How's that even allowed

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What causes that torque dip these cars have? Is it something all the cars that use that engine have?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

SperginMcBadposter posted:

What causes that torque dip these cars have? Is it something all the cars that use that engine have?

Bad tuning, no. It can be fixed with an aftermarket tune toot sweet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sigma X posted:

Bad tuning, no. It can be fixed with an aftermarket tune toot sweet.

I wouldn't call it bad, its more about a manufacturing trying to balance MPG, HP, Torque and Emissions.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Calidus posted:

I wouldn't call it bad, its more about a manufacturing trying to balance MPG, HP, Torque and Emissions.

No, it's bad tuning. If it was good tuning, they would have accomplished that balance of MPG, HP, Torque, and Emissions without a huge torque dip.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sigma X posted:

No, it's bad tuning. If it was good tuning, they would have accomplished that balance of MPG, HP, Torque, and Emissions without a huge torque dip.

So the aftermarket tunes available don't result in any negative emission changes whatsoever?

I find that very hard to believe

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
In that dip is the only time real-world emissions will match stated emissions amounts anyway. The only thing a basic tune does is eliminate that dip so the power curve is actually a curve (like you would expect for an engine).

The dip only exists at all because that is the specific RPM range that the emissions testing uses.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Emissions tests follow set test cycles but you don't really get to higher RPM during them. They could have gotten things to work without the bump and passed emissions I'd think, every other manufacturer is able to. :v: IMO it's a lovely job calibrating but there must have been a reason to do so that made it the better of the two trade offs.

I wonder if it's something to do with their wonky PFI and DI injectors but I thought they only used PFI for cold starting and then it was DI the whole way? :tinfoil:

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Larrymer posted:

I wonder if it's something to do with their wonky PFI and DI injectors but I thought they only used PFI for cold starting and then it was DI the whole way? :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8aUxBZlsU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

This car was basically put together by a small team of engineers on a tiny budget, so surprise: It's not very well refined.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yep, it must be the transition of the injectors (both to DI only) is my guess, then. Seems dumb since you can get away with one or the other just fine and still meet emissions.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Larrymer posted:

Yep, it must be the transition of the injectors (both to DI only) is my guess, then. Seems dumb since you can get away with one or the other just fine and still meet emissions.

Isn't this slightly better though, in that you get the benefits of direct injection without the coking of the valves/intake from EGR crud?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Alright which one of you fuckers is this?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

stevobob posted:

Isn't this slightly better though, in that you get the benefits of direct injection without the coking of the valves/intake from EGR crud?

Slight correction, but it's probably coking from PCV. I have no idea honestly if this engine has EGR, it just seems less common these days. In theory, yes. Having port fuel injectors should help the valves stay cleaner. It's a controls headache though, controlling two sets of injectors simultaneously ramping one down and one up and having it be smooth during the transition at all loads.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth. Eventually we're going to hit the cap of how much fuel can be injected directly (more likely limited by the pressure from the HPFP) into the cylinders for higher horsepower stuff, so split systems like this will probably become more common.

My derail and theory posting ends here. :)

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Larrymer posted:

I have no idea honestly if this engine has EGR

modern cars use valvetrain control for EGR, delaying exhaust valve closing to let a bit back in if necessary

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So this has showed up on CL and is pretty near me:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5317009327.html

the seller posted:

Amazing car set up how it should have rolled out of the factory. Adult owned. Proper break-in and always let it completely warm up before getting into boost or rpms.

Purchased brand new. Clean title in hand. 0 accidents and only 5,000 miles (going up slowly). 1 track day on it when it was completely stock. I then spent a lot of time and money (over $10k) getting it to where it is now so it would be a perfect street car that would be trackable without issues or concern but way faster than stock. Biggest upgrade is the JR supercharger which is SMOG legal, super dependable (in research couldn't find any issues with it even when tracked) and totally transforms the car. Unfortunately, I did not make it back to track post mods but the car is a blast on the streets.

Manual 6speed transmission.

Highest trim level- Limited- which includes alcantra seats, keyless entry/start, dual climate control etc.

Jackson Racing Supercharger kit with Oil Cooler Kit ~$6,000
Enkei RPF1 Wheels (17x9", 35mm, 5x100, Set/4) Gunmetal
wrapped in 245/40ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL ~$2,000
RCE Tarmac II Coilovers ~$2,400
Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit ~$170
Feredo DS2500 Brakes Pads $300

Just looked on CL to gauge pricing. Looks like stock cars with more miles are asking around $26k. I'll take $28k for this including all parts listed above as well as all stock parts.

Serious buyers only.

On the one hand, $28k seems a little rich for a BRZ with a voided (i assume) warranty. On the other, I can't really say that there's any aftermarket stuff here that I don't want. I don't know anything about the coilovers, but I think they might be made by KW for Racecomp? Car seems a bit too low, but hopefully the coilovers can get to a reasonable height. Well, and that black fender trim piece looks a little stupid.

So uh, bad idea or worst idea?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Hog Obituary posted:

So this has showed up on CL and is pretty near me:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5317009327.html

On the one hand, $28k seems a little rich for a BRZ with a voided (i assume) warranty. On the other, I can't really say that there's any aftermarket stuff here that I don't want. I don't know anything about the coilovers, but I think they might be made by KW for Racecomp? Car seems a bit too low, but hopefully the coilovers can get to a reasonable height. Well, and that black fender trim piece looks a little stupid.

So uh, bad idea or worst idea?

If you lowball him for like $23k maybe? He's asking for $2k for all those mods knowing warrantys voided. Problem is his base $26k is bs considering a brand new limited 2015 is that much for invoice (easily achieved on a brz these days as they don't move off the lot since its same poo poo that was released in 2012). A comparable used brz will get like $21 or 22k

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Paraphrased responses from the owner:
- selling because kids
- original fender trim pieces were stolen (is that a thing that happens to you guys)?
- <3k miles on springs, <2k miles on JSRC
- did the s/c install himself
- a shop did suspension and alignment

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Do you have the capability (Tools, space, skills) to diagnose and work on this car and its mods yourself?

If not, lol walk away.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The suspension is good stuff. Basically a KW V3, so good quality double adjustable shock, but with slightly different spring rates and valving. KWs come with an overly soft rear spring IMO, RCE fixes that. Rides well, will go a long time between services, can be rebuilt and re-valved by KW, RCE in the US with a pretty short turnaround. And it will go up to stock height or maybe a little more if you really crank up the spring perches.

Jackson racing guys do good work as well. If he's been driving it for 2k miles without it blowing up or lighting on fire it'll probably be ok.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 28, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hog Obituary posted:

Paraphrased responses from the owner:
- selling because kids
- original fender trim pieces were stolen (is that a thing that happens to you guys)?
- <3k miles on springs, <2k miles on JSRC
- did the s/c install himself
- a shop did suspension and alignment

He's right about one thing, that would make for a pretty decent track day car and all of them are pretty good from a glance. However the first rule of used cars is dont buy anything modded unless you are prepared to fix problems and spend money

The sub rule of that is "If it has boost where there was none from the factory, dont even think about it"

A home installed SC kit is a definate Run The gently caress Away

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Especially when the dipshit seller thinks their mods add value rather than subtract it. He's either stupid or being disingenuous, smart decision is to walk away.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wheeee posted:

Especially when the dipshit seller thinks their mods add value rather than subtract it. He's either stupid or being disingenuous, smart decision is to walk away.

Or he thinks (apparently rightly) there's people who'd be willing to pay extra for mods in this market?

Does the JRSC come with an intercooler? When I had my STV Focus, the JRSC kit didn't have an intercooler, while the next step up did.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kimbo305 posted:

Or he thinks (apparently rightly) there's people who'd be willing to pay extra for mods in this market?

Does the JRSC come with an intercooler? When I had my STV Focus, the JRSC kit didn't have an intercooler, while the next step up did.

Next step up being the Procharger? I don't recall an inter/aftercooled offering from JR for the Focus.

I do recall a bunch of idiots doing an IAT relocation/delete and running lean, torching holes in their pistons, however...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Geoj posted:

Next step up being the Procharger? I don't recall an inter/aftercooled offering from JR for the Focus.

I do recall a bunch of idiots doing an IAT relocation/delete and running lean, torching holes in their pistons, however...

Powerworks, which had an air-to-water intercooler. Roots sound >>> thermodynamic efficiency.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I think there is a (small) market of people who might even pay asking price for a car like this, but apparently its been for sale for 12 days.

I sold a turbo 95 Miata for $8k, so people pay for modzzzz.

I don't think home-install s/c necessarily means run away, it just becomes a wildcard. I figure a PPI at a good race shop would go a long way. From what I've heard the JRSC has been a pretty trouble free setup.

Anyway, probably won't jump on this, but it makes for interesting discussion anyway.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Put another way, if you're going to buy a used $28k car with no warranty and questionable future reliability you can do a gently caress of a lot better than a BRZ.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Put another way, if you're going to buy a used $28k car with no warranty and questionable future reliability you can do a gently caress of a lot better than a BRZ.

I going to agree with this guy, 28k gets you a new WRX or BRZ or any number of used sports cars with more power: STI, S2000, 350z/370z, insert your favorite v8 muscle car here. I only really consider that BRZ if I had a nice garage full of tools to work on it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
28k is almost into nsx territory, and if you get lucky/wait long enough you coud get one too. You could also buy an R32 GTR and have money left over

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Nodoze posted:

28k is almost into nsx territory, and if you get lucky/wait long enough you coud get one too. You could also buy an R32 GTR and have money left over
10 years ago, not anymore unless it's totally clapped out. I mean "if you wait long enough" you can buy anything

I'm not here to defend the 28k price really, or defend this car at all, but

Wheeee posted:

Basically means, "don't bother doing aftermarket FI on your BRZ because it's not worth it, shoulda bought a different car because $/hp :words:,"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Yea sorry it's not dollars per horsepower, it's dollars for the complete package.

The BRZ is an interesting new car, being the cheapest sports car on the market, but outside of filling a niche it's still just a shitbox Subaru. If you aren't getting a warranty or even the expected reliability of an unmolested new car why would you ever want one over a used Cayman for example?

Do what makes you happy, nobody cares, just be honest with yourself about your decisions rather than trying to rationalize.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It has nothing to do with $/hp, it's just not worth the money when you can get better for similar money or less money too

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Nodoze posted:

It has nothing to do with $/hp, it's just not worth the money when you can get better for similar money or less money too

My '07 Cayman with 68K miles sold for $19.5 before TTT, take that as you will.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I picked up a set of BLIZZak WS80's for winter.
t
The Enkei EKM3's look nice on my car. I had them in my attic from my old LGT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Enkei EKM3 are what mine wear in the winter too (with DWS all seasons, the WRX is what gets driven when the weather is bad.)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It's amazing how much a set of nice wheels does for these cars, especially when appropriately sized as above.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wheeee posted:

It's amazing how much a set of nice wheels does for these cars, especially when appropriately sized as above.

I actually like the stock wheels. There's much less of a difference between the Enkei's and stock than there was with my Legacy.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sigma X posted:

My '07 Cayman with 68K miles sold for $19.5 before TTT, take that as you will.

drat, I wish I could find a decent Cayman around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

oRenj9 posted:

drat, I wish I could find a decent Cayman around here.

Caymans are ridiculously, sublimely good-handling ill-tempered beasts at the best of times. Get an e46 M3 for less money and faster real-world driving with more power and practicality, more reliability, cheaper serviceability and 99.997% less chance of shorting out the front control module (and subsequent random cascading module failures) via the unforeseen act of detailing the loving car. Even disregarding the IMS ticking time bomb, the first gen Caymans are hot garbage. If you ever have to transport a cooler or suitcases or anything other than the regulation Porsche golf bags you will hate life.

If this is a track toy, disregard. Get a Miata.

• Locked thread