Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moniker posted:

Would anyone be willing to look at http://toptensmartestdogs.com and see if they see any type of ad placement that violates the TOS for Adsense? I think I only have three per page, if that, but are affiliate links added into that mix? Or are those not included?

Google's TOS states no more than 3 Adsense ad banners/boxes and 3 Adsense link units. In fact, Google's adsense javascript won't even allow more than 3 to be shown. You can have as many other affiliates on your page as you want, however having too many may affect your Google rankings. Your site is fine, you just don't want the number of ads to outweigh the amount of content.

Your Adsense ad colors don't match though, you may want to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Google's TOS states no more than 3 Adsense ad banners/boxes and 3 Adsense link units. In fact, Google's adsense javascript won't even allow more than 3 to be shown. You can have as many other affiliates on your page as you want, however having too many may affect your Google rankings. Your site is fine, you just don't want the number of ads to outweigh the amount of content.

Your Adsense ad colors don't match though, you may want to fix that.

Yeah I'm fixing that right now. Jumping between computers is so annoying. I created them quickly and did not do a good job. I'll update the colors and hope for the best. I'm nervous that I'm gonna make money then get banned. :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moniker posted:

Yeah I'm fixing that right now. Jumping between computers is so annoying. I created them quickly and did not do a good job. I'll update the colors and hope for the best. I'm nervous that I'm gonna make money then get banned. :(

Most people getting banned for adsense get banned for click fraud, not for simple TOS violations. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Most people getting banned for adsense get banned for click fraud, not for simple TOS violations. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

I'm just stressed about being banned 10 years ago and now changing ownership of my site to my girlfriend. I don't know if that's against their TOS some how.

cartooncart
Oct 21, 2011
If you were banned a few years ago, can't you just ask for their forgiveness?

That way you don't have to stress over it, because they might tell you if your websites are good or not.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

cartooncart posted:

If you were banned a few years ago, can't you just ask for their forgiveness?

That way you don't have to stress over it, because they might tell you if your websites are good or not.

I did. They said no. They never let anyone come back from invalid click activity. It sucks because I was just young and immature then. :(

cartooncart
Oct 21, 2011
I'm very glad that I have began doing this later in life. By the way, Best Cartoons Ever has been hit hard by the new January change, but for some reason, Bruce Banner . Net is doing almost just as good as the other site within a month. I guess a very focused site, does help search results.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

cartooncart posted:

I'm very glad that I have began doing this later in life. By the way, Best Cartoons Ever has been hit hard by the new January change, but for some reason, Bruce Banner . Net is doing almost just as good as the other site within a month. I guess a very focused site, does help search results.

how many visitors a day are you getting on BB.net?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So after monetizing with Adsense and getting it all squared away with style and such, I'm pulling an average of a dollar a day. It might seem silly but I was making a penny a day with other advertisers. :D

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I been reading the thread and wanted to share a blog that me and a few others work on from time to time. http://www.revlim.it It's an automotive blog running off of tumblr. If it wasn't for the follow and join button on the top right corner, you'd never guess it was a tumblr blog. It's certain that as the site increases in traffic, the more I will be willing to transfer to a hosted server.

We do get a steady flow of traffic and use Google Adsense. One month we hauled in over 70$ then took some time off from the site due to college and work. We just recently started again and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 11, 2012

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Question,

If I am looking for a phrase in a domain but it's not taken can I buy a partial url and make the page name the ending? For example, "How to play basketball" is my phrase. However, howtoplaybasketball.com/net/info/org are taken, and so are all variations of it. Can I do something like https://www.howtoplay.com/basketball and will it help?

I found a niche that has 6,900 searches monthly and a $6.97CPC value! But obviously every domain is taken! I'm trying to find a way to do get it in the url!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kolta posted:

I been reading the thread and wanted to share a blog that me and a few others work on from time to time. http://www.revlim.it It's an automotive blog running off of tumblr. If it wasn't for the follow and join button on the top right corner, you'd never guess it was a tumblr blog. It's certain that as the site increases in traffic, the more I will be willing to transfer to a hosted server.

We do get a steady flow of traffic and use Google Adsense. One month we hauled in over 70$ then took some time off from the site due to college and work. We just recently started again and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Make your ads blend in with your site more, color wise and I'm sure you'll not only get more clicks, it'll be more pleasing to your readers.. The black box with white text stick out like a sore thumb

Moniker posted:

Question,

If I am looking for a phrase in a domain but it's not taken can I buy a partial url and make the page name the ending? For example, "How to play basketball" is my phrase. However, howtoplaybasketball.com/net/info/org are taken, and so are all variations of it. Can I do something like https://www.howtoplay.com/basketball and will it help?

I found a niche that has 6,900 searches monthly and a $6.97CPC value! But obviously every domain is taken! I'm trying to find a way to do get it in the url!

You can, but google will rank the root URL a lot easier than the subfolder.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Is there any benefit to registering multiple URLs for a given set of keywords, then redirecting the traffic to your blog?

That is, say my niche blog url is bestgardengnomes.com because I see 2000 global searches/mo with a CPC of 1.87

But I also see other good keyword groups with high CPC and global searches like "top 10 garden gnomes" and "what garden gnome should I buy"

Aside from limiting the competition, is there any advantage to registering top10gardengnomes.com, then redirecting the traffic to bestgardengnomes.com.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Is there any benefit to registering multiple URLs for a given set of keywords, then redirecting the traffic to your blog?

That is, say my niche blog url is bestgardengnomes.com because I see 2000 global searches/mo with a CPC of 1.87

But I also see other good keyword groups with high CPC and global searches like "top 10 garden gnomes" and "what garden gnome should I buy"

Aside from limiting the competition, is there any advantage to registering top10gardengnomes.com, then redirecting the traffic to bestgardengnomes.com.

I think Google will not give you any benefit. It will act as if those are the same domain?

The best bet would be to create the other two, do some SEO, write some original content and maybe embed some links to the other two sites. This way they're related, and can help each other out? If you optimize correctly, you could have all three sites on the first page, and get most of the traffic. Who cares what site it's to?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Well I was thinking more in the sense of, owning the keyword matching URLs would help my SEO for those keyword terms, driving more traffic to bestgardengnomes.com

My blog would still be about "best garden gnomes", but I'd also be better able to target keywords like "top 10 garden gnomes" and the like if I register those keyword matching URLs as well and redirect to bestgardengnomes.com

**edit - I'm not explaining my thinking as well as I should.

Lets try this.

People searching for "best garden gnomes" will find my site because the URL has the keywords in it. However I'd also like to target for "top 10 garden gnomes" as well. The blog is optimized for that, but I was wondering if it would be optimized even higher if I set up a redirect to bestgardengnomes.com from a keyword matching URL like "top10gardengnomes.com".

That is, people will search for "Top 10 Garden Gnomes", my redirect page will rank high because the url will be "top10gardengnomes.com" and it will redirect to "bestgardengnomes.com" which has "top 10 garden gnomes" keyword matching content.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 12, 2012

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Only IF top10gardengnomes.com was an already established domain/website that Google trusted, and you were forwarding that domain to bestgardengnomes.com. Otherwise it would add practically no value.

You would be much better as Moniker suggested, to purchase top10gardengnomes.com and then build a small site on it. Use that to both rank for "top 10 garden gnomes" and also pass some link juice onto "bestgardengnomes.com".

Although most importantly - focus on making bestgardengnomes.com rank for phrases like "top 10 garden gnomes". What you could do is create a sub-section of your website bestgardengnomes.com/top10gardengnomes/ and then look at that almost as a website of its own, and plan SEO separately for it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
That makes sense.

Ok, last one then I think I'm ready to go.

bestgardengnomes.com has a Local Monthly Search of 3600 and CPC of 2.86

top10gardengnomes.com has a LMS of 1300 but a CPC of 4.26

Which URL am I better off going for? More visitors with bestgardengnomes.com but higher CPC with top10gardengnomes.com

Obviously whichever I don't go with I'd make sure to optimize the site for.

By the way, thanks for this thread. It's fun to have a chance to put my excel Kung Fu to work.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 12, 2012

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Whats the competition like for each? Doesn't matter what the monthly searches or CPC is if you can't get in the first page.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Very low competition on both, weak front page for sure.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011
I have been reading every post in this thread since it was presented to me Monday. I am not sure how capable I am at keeping up a blogging site, but I have a couple ideas that I want to get rolling.
I have a personal everything blogspot one right now, yes I know it is the inferior platform, but I do not think I want to pay for hosting for that one anyhow. I do want a specific url though that is in use and it seems as this guy has given up on it. What happens if he is completely unreachable? I suppose the url is just lost and I have to chose something else. I guess if I wanted to get it from him, what would I offer for a site that has ~20 unique posts since 2005 with little or no returning visitors? I am sure not very much, but I could not offer nothing right?

BTW all of the information volunteered in this thread is great, and definitely helps me, and obviously others, understand this whole interwebs thing just a smidge more.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Check when the domain expires - http://www.whois.sc - you might get lucky and will be able to snag it for reg fee. If it's coming up soon I'd just leave it and get it when it expires. If it's not for awhile - just do everything you can to contact him. But nothing you can really do until it expires.

As for price it depends largely on the niche, domain, rankings, backlink portfolio, any earnings etc. From the sounds of your post you don't think it's worth a lot but you just never know. Basically how much would you be prepared to pay for it? It just depends how badly you want a domain. I've paid $xxx-$xx,xxx more than what a domain is worth simply because I know how important the domain would have been to my motivation, brand ability etc.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I modified my ad colors on http://www.revlim.it It does blend better now.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 14, 2012

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Friend of mine builds sites for a living w/a major web market firm. When I asked him about metatags being useful or not for SEO, he linked me to

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/

and told me yes, still very useful.

Interesting, though I don't do any FB marketing. Good to know for blog clients though. I'm going to keep ignoring them on my sites for aforementioned reason.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Anyone have any good premium themes to suggest? I like Heatmap a lot, but don't quite want to shell out $70 until I'm sure I'll be doing this more.

cartooncart
Oct 21, 2011
I'd check out the free themes at http://www.woothemes.com/themes/free/

I'm not a big fan of heatmap but that's mainly because I find it looks "spammy"

Nozz-A-La
Jul 28, 2006
Is there any negative to using a hyphenated domain name? I think I found a pretty good niche but the main phrase I'm looking to focus on has already been taken by a generic spam site.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Nozz-A-La posted:

Is there any negative to using a hyphenated domain name? I think I found a pretty good niche but the main phrase I'm looking to focus on has already been taken by a generic spam site.

My kitchen appliance site ranks second or third for the phrase kitchen appliance reviews and it has hyphens in it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone have any good premium themes to suggest? I like Heatmap a lot, but don't quite want to shell out $70 until I'm sure I'll be doing this more.

I really like http://www.newwpthemes.com and http://www.web2feel.com.

Both those sites' themes are 100% free. You can pay $20 if you want to remove the very minor footer links on some of them.

[chavez]
Dec 21, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I'm looking at a specific set of keywords that generate 4400 local searches per month, with 'low' competition, but the CPC is estimated at .38c, and only .01 estimated clicks per day - is this a waste of time? I know the initial guide for this thread said to try and stay above $1 per click. The only reason I ask is because of the # of local searches, plus (as a side note) the exact URL for this phrase is available.

Additionally, for people that run news type blogs about specific hobbies of theirs, how do they manage image rights? Do most people just steal images, or are there specific services they use to purchase images relevant to their blog theme?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Pro tip: you actually want High Competition in the Google Adwords Keyword Tool for most niches as that tells you there's profit to be had. Ideally you find a cluster of keywords with high competition but without any one site dominating the niche or top sites which are badly optimized / lack quality backlinks and can be knocked off their pedestal.

As to your second question, legit people use creative commons commercial allowed images and attribute or they buy them from places like istockphoto. However most niche marketers aren't all that ethical and just steal. Don't do this it's slimy, support photographers.

[chavez]
Dec 21, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

mcsuede posted:

Pro tip: you actually want High Competition in the Google Adwords Keyword Tool for most niches as that tells you there's profit to be had. Ideally you find a cluster of keywords with high competition but without any one site dominating the niche or top sites which are badly optimized / lack quality backlinks and can be knocked off their pedestal.

As to your second question, legit people use creative commons commercial allowed images and attribute or they buy them from places like istockphoto. However most niche marketers aren't all that ethical and just steal. Don't do this it's slimy, support photographers.

Thanks, that's good information. I've been in the design game long enough that I'd never steal imagery; but having never really had to source images outside of istock/getty/veer, I wasn't sure how people go about getting images when doing blogs about recent sporting events, etc.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

http://www.sxc.hu/

This what I sometimes use. Most times you just have to email the photographer and get their permission.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
All of my sites on the dog site are from Foter. I was shocked by the amount of pictures they had.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

"[chavez posted:

"]
I'm looking at a specific set of keywords that generate 4400 local searches per month, with 'low' competition, but the CPC is estimated at .38c, and only .01 estimated clicks per day - is this a waste of time? I know the initial guide for this thread said to try and stay above $1 per click. The only reason I ask is because of the # of local searches, plus (as a side note) the exact URL for this phrase is available.

It depends what your goals are. The low CPC will probably prevent this from making money from AdSense right now, but that doesn't mean it won't become trendy in the next 6 months, or that you can't find a better source of profit. Just keep your goals and investment reasonable.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
I was thinking of blogging this novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo slowly over the course of a year, but I have no idea how to do the keywords thing for a blog like that.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Anyone planning on having their websites go black today in protest of SOPA and PIPA? I installed a ready to go blackout plugin for wordpress which makes it easy (if you're running a Wordpress install). I feel like if this stuff goes through, Harper and his cronies will be quick to introduce similar bills here in Canada :canada:. Most of my traffic is US based so hopefully it'll have an impact on some voters in the States.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So I have been reading more and more about SEO and I am trying to get a grasp of it.

Basically

(lots of small web 2.0 profiles and posts)
|
|
|---->(main web 2.0)
..........|
..........|
..........|--->(money site)

Sorry for the horrible "diagram." I am on my iPad and it's all that I currently have. But the idea would be 20 or 30 little 2.0 profiles linking to one 2.0 profile, which links to my site. Repeated over and over. Is this a good start to SEO? That along with a lot of original articles in article directories.

Edit: I guess I am back linking my back links?

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Moniker posted:

Edit: I guess I am back linking my back links?

That's the gist of it. There's a lot of ways to do it. Search for "link wheel" on google images and you'll get tons of examples of how others are setting them up.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

RTB posted:

That's the gist of it. There's a lot of ways to do it. Search for "link wheel" on google images and you'll get tons of examples of how others are setting them up.

Mind = Blown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
Yeah, link wheels are an old technique that I think most would advise against since Google is wise to the simple varieties.

I think what still works is a bunch web 2.0 properties that are randomly interlinked with a few pointing to your money site.

Bodhi Tea fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 18, 2012

• Locked thread