Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Can anyone recommend a good way to find existing blogs to advertise on with affiliate/CPA links or banners? I have a store and an affiliate program but I don't know how to find blogs or sites to partner with. I know CJ and Shareasale have good ways of partnering up merchants and affiliates but I'd rather not front the money for their sign-up fees.

My store sells mens fashion shirts and my strategy right now (which I've just started) is basically searching google for anything related to mens fashion and emailing a bunch individually. I'm hoping there's an easier way. I also just started running targeted Facebook ads to find affiliates but I have my doubts that strategy will be that successful..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

My tiny terrible blog with no SEO got a search engine hit :ohdear:

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

My tiny terrible blog with no SEO got a search engine hit :ohdear:

Wait til you get .01 from Adsense! Then you've made it :D

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I made a blog a few weeks ago (http://www.puppyleaks.com), I started off well enough reading up on SEO and getting a handle on customizing a theme but now I'm lost. I have started getting visitors to my site but I have no idea how to turn this into something that makes money. I don't know if I want to do Adsense or not, I've submitted my application but for some reason I'm scared to activate ads. I think I started off with way too broad of an idea on a heavily populated subject, but for whatever reason when I saw the domain puppyleaks I had to have it.

I generally like the idea of becoming an amazon affiliate - since the blog is about dogs it seems I could easily integrate a product review section.

Perhaps I shouldn't even consider making money yet - with a brand new site is it wise to keep building up consistently before you add any of the money making aspects? I feel so overwhelmed.

The other dog blog/sites I've been looking at seem to have a lot of targeted advertising which leads me to believe that's a better strategy for this topic rather than affiliate marketing. I'd love to have my site be a dog news heavy site but for now I'm trying out a few general topics to see which ones are doing well on analytics.

If anyone has any suggestions on a what I should be focusing on at the moment I'd love to hear it. (I do need to apparently add an about me section - I wish people didn't find that part so important)

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
You need to add a privacy policy to your site if you've applied to Adsense. Just google for one and modify it appropriately for your site. I don't see any reason to wait to put up advertisements, you'd be restricted to 3 per page by Adsense anyways which I think wouldn't be overwhelming by any means for your page.

What does everyone use for subscriber lists? Aweber? Mailchimp?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mailchimp is fine of you have under 2k subscribers. Anything over then there's a monthly fee and it can get pricey.

I have a list with about 3k subs that I only mail to about 5 times a year. I use a wordpress plugin to manage the list and Dyn email to do the sending.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Would a niche with 12k local monthly searches, $2+ CPC and low competition be a good one to explore? I want to test this and see if I can break even on something, as an experiment for my personal blog

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As much as I hate godaddy their coupons for $1 or $2 domains are perfect for trying out new niches.

Also, the guy who bought my domain a few months ago let it expire so I'm going to snatch it up again and resell it :getin:

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Maybe I'm in the wrong thread - I'm looking for ways to make my Tumblr profitable. I'm an illustrator and designer and have developed a brand, I sell via Society6, Redbubble and DesignByHumans, and from experience, I see that promoting on Facebook has its limits, as stated here earlier. I'd like my Tumblr blog to become a better promotional tool, possibly with ads, if necessary.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Rad R. posted:

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread - I'm looking for ways to make my Tumblr profitable. I'm an illustrator and designer and have developed a brand, I sell via Society6, Redbubble and DesignByHumans, and from experience, I see that promoting on Facebook has its limits, as stated here earlier. I'd like my Tumblr blog to become a better promotional tool, possibly with ads, if necessary.

Image heavy posts and make sure you put the credit linking back to wherever you sell your prints (society6?)

Your actual tumblr page won't make much off ads no matter how big your following because most people wont leave their dashboard.

As far as getting followers so your stuff will go viral, following lots of people to get follow backs works well. Limit is 200/day and like 50/hr.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
How would I make something like this? http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/8-foods-to-avoid-at-all-costs.aspx

A blog post where each item has its own page. Is it a gallery? It looks like each item has its own page.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Trying to edit my sites to be a bit more professional and linked together. Ive run into a problem with Wordpress profile (so the bit that people can see about you after you make a post). I've tried to add my Linkedin profile address to it, but it gives a corrupt url since it forces the url to have linkedin.com/in/USERNAME which bears no resemblance to my actual profile address.

Any suggestions (I guess I could put linkedin profile in the website part?)?

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Scott Justice posted:

How would I make something like this? http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/8-foods-to-avoid-at-all-costs.aspx

A blog post where each item has its own page. Is it a gallery? It looks like each item has its own page.

In WordPress, you can just use
code:
<!--nextpage-->
to create a paged post. But a plugin like Theia Post Slider makes it a better reader experience. You can see it in action here.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
This thread has been really helpful to me in getting my blog moved over from blogspot to a private hosted domain. I'm still tinkering with it, and my friend is working on a logo for me.

http://whatlovelybooks.com

What do you think? I plan on making a youtube channel soon and posting videos as well.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
I'd add an email subscription list. They're tougher to get than social followers but they're also much much much more likely to get the person to come back to your site when you update. Facebook has made it extremely hard to reach followers without paying them, Tweets have such a short shelf life, and nobody's on Google+.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for the tip, I will install one and see what happens.

Yeah, I have facebook, twitter, goodreads, and bloglovin at the moment and a YouTube button soon.

I heard facebook is a bitch about advertising anything on their site.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Pierce and Pierce posted:

I'd add an email subscription list. They're tougher to get than social followers but they're also much much much more likely to get the person to come back to your site when you update. Facebook has made it extremely hard to reach followers without paying them, Tweets have such a short shelf life, and nobody's on Google+.

Even personal friends of mine that want to read all of my updates don't want to sign up for email updates. I have about 40 hits a day for 6 months and have never had anyone sign up for email updates.

In other news, I recently had someone that clicked an Amazon ad buy a high end digital camera. That combined with sponsored posts on other blogs made me hit the point where I've made more from my blog than I've spent. Hooray.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Is there an optimal ad type or placement area? I've got a website averaging 500 uniques/day and just slapped a leaderboard banner ad on it a few weeks ago - it seems to be performing ok, with a RPM of $6 but I'm just wondering if there's a better way to do it.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Ron Don Volante posted:

Is there an optimal ad type or placement area? I've got a website averaging 500 uniques/day and just slapped a leaderboard banner ad on it a few weeks ago - it seems to be performing ok, with a RPM of $6 but I'm just wondering if there's a better way to do it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ten-adsense-optimization-tips-2011-9

This refers to Adsense but will apply to any advertisements.

Inline ads (within the content) do the best for me, it's just a matter of finding a balance between making sure they see the ad without being obnoxious about it.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Zero Gravitas posted:

Trying to edit my sites to be a bit more professional and linked together. Ive run into a problem with Wordpress profile (so the bit that people can see about you after you make a post). I've tried to add my Linkedin profile address to it, but it gives a corrupt url since it forces the url to have linkedin.com/in/USERNAME which bears no resemblance to my actual profile address.

Any suggestions (I guess I could put linkedin profile in the website part?)?

Still looking for a solution to this problem. :/

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

Still looking for a solution to this problem. :/

Download .php or whatever file for that part of theme. Edit the code by hand in notepad, save, upload.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Download .php or whatever file for that part of theme. Edit the code by hand in notepad, save, upload.

So it's a theme thing not a wp thing? Bugger. The last time I edited stuff by hand it didn't go so well.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Figure out which file the code lives in (possibly something like social.php) then ctrl+F for "linkedin.com/in/USERNAME" and rewrite the URL to be correct.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I took the plunge because of you fabulous ladies and gentlemen. I have been bouncing this idea around for about a month now, and I think I got it all put together just the way I wanted it. I have a bunch of content planned, but I don't want to put it all up at once.

My url is http://languagepunk.com/ if anybody has any advice please, please, please do not hesitate to let me know. This is my first website, and it was a bitch to make. Thank you everyone for your help! :)

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Anyone have any advice for getting visitor search keywords out of analytics? For some reason I was able to get the keywords visitors used for a day and ever since I just get "unknown" for the keyword in the acquisition section of analytics.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I don't think google shows their keywords in analytics anymore. No idea where the random keywords come from, could be from other search engines. In any case you can see keyword search volume in google webmaster tools.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Google still shows keywords, you just only get them if the person's not on a secure connection. I just checked the last few months and I get the keyword they used 18% of the time.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

laxbro posted:

I don't think google shows their keywords in analytics anymore. No idea where the random keywords come from, could be from other search engines. In any case you can see keyword search volume in google webmaster tools.

Keyword data is trending toward zero as more browsers adopt secure search and Google does less and less about it. As a proxy indicator, check your Landing Page rankings and extrapolate out to each page's focus keyword.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Site: http://thewesker.com

Hey goons, I have recently got my site up and running again and I'm beginning to write content for it regularly. I'm super happy with the design I created with Squarespace, and I have a new drive to create content for it.

My issue is with Google. They don't seem to be crawling my site for articles, even though I have a sitemap setup for it. It seems like I have to submit URLs manually to get Google to look at it. Will Google eventually just pickup on it? Do I just need to be patient?

Obviously this isn't a business for me (I don't make much on the ads) so it's not a big issue but I thought I'd ask for some expertise on this. I've done all of the Google Webmaster Tools checks and everything seems to check out. SEO seems to be good as my articles show up decently with keywords I've tried, I just need to know if I'm missing something when it comes to getting Google to crawl my site.

I'm thinking Google prefers to crawl sites that put up content regularly, and if that's the case then it will just learn overtime now that I'm doing that.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 12, 2014

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Just a quick question, if I have a long blog post, at what point should I split it into excerpt > full post? Also if I include a video such as youtube, should I only put it in the full post, or is in the excerpt on the homepage ok?

yehdawg
Oct 2, 2013

Danger Extraordinaire
Sup goons! This is a great thread that made me finally create a blog for the Starcraft 2 Esport scene: http://yehdawgstarcraft2.com

Please check it out and let me know what you think of the layout and ad placement. I'm currently in the process of adding content.

I also had one question: I'm set up google analytics but the information isn't showing up for the past day at all. Is there a delay before analytics shows reports or did I do it wrong?? :X

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This should be interesting. I've been thinking on and off about starting a blog and today I finally bit the bullet and bought a domain. I think I'm lucky in the sense that an area I really love (Java Programming Language) seems to have quite a high CPC (Don't quite get it entirely, but >$1 should be good) and low competition.

I know it won't be easy but I'm kinda hopeful that it will pull in about $100~$200 a month to supplement my student payments from the government.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
It is a lot of fun, but the amount of money you make depends on how much effort you put in. A programming language blog seems like a great idea, try to find a niche that other blogs aren't filling. Like reviewing code, step by step tutorials, book reviews, job search tips for programmers, whatever you guys do. Having a narrow scope can get kinda boring but you will reap the rewards much more quickly.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

laxbro posted:

It is a lot of fun, but the amount of money you make depends on how much effort you put in. A programming language blog seems like a great idea, try to find a niche that other blogs aren't filling. Like reviewing code, step by step tutorials, book reviews, job search tips for programmers, whatever you guys do. Having a narrow scope can get kinda boring but you will reap the rewards much more quickly.

Yeah, I saw there were a couple of areas that needed help, particularly java tutorials and code specific.

Do I pick a couple of things on the one blog, like tutorials on several subjects (different parts of Java code, like online applets and concurrency) or am I meant to be laser focused on one area?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Use google keywords to look at the search volume for the various keywords associated with the niches you're thinking about. I think focusing on a very specific niche with a decent search volume will get you faster results. I've been kind of all over the place within my niche and it has definitely hampered my growth, but I'm also having lots of fun with it. You just have to find a balance that works for you.

Overall, if your goal is to make money, I would focus the first 6 months on churning out very specific niche content based on your keyword research. Start branching out when you start getting a sense of what else your readers are looking for.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Lord Windy posted:

low competition.

Is this low competition on the keyword tool?

Its been a while since I did anything like this but I remember misinterpreting 'competition' as referring to websites targeting the keyword, whereas in fact it means advertisers since the keyword tools intended use is to advise adsense advertisers. So competition refers to how often the ad will display and how cutthroat the bidding would be.

Am I completely wrong here?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Heskie posted:

Is this low competition on the keyword tool?

Its been a while since I did anything like this but I remember misinterpreting 'competition' as referring to websites targeting the keyword, whereas in fact it means advertisers since the keyword tools intended use is to advise adsense advertisers. So competition refers to how often the ad will display and how cutthroat the bidding would be.

Am I completely wrong here?

Oh, I meant in when I google search for certain things the only thing that comes up are forum posts and stack overflow.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Lord Windy posted:

Oh, I meant in when I google search for certain things the only thing that comes up are forum posts and stack overflow.

Ahh cool fair enough. Yeah it was a huge :cripes: moment when I realised I'd been misinterpreting the metrics while drilling down on a niche.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Heskie posted:

Ahh cool fair enough. Yeah it was a huge :cripes: moment when I realised I'd been misinterpreting the metrics while drilling down on a niche.

Don't worry, I think I got stupid lucky. I had an 'oh gently caress' moment when I realized the competition part was about buying ads after I bought my domain. But then I actually googled some of the phrases and it turned out alright.

I'll never get anywhere with just 'java tutorial' but 'java step by step' and certain topics are pretty barren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Just finished up my first month on AdSense with about $50 in earnings, on a RPM of $5.60. Not bad, considering I was making no money before!

• Locked thread