Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

The Swinemaster posted:

If you're going for "esports" as a keyword, you're not really using it very often. I only see it twice on the page, and one of those is in a tag cloud, and in the title tag.

Your site seems really light on content. Each post rarely has more than a few lines of text. You have a strong focus on video, which is fine, but it's not backed up with original content. The videos themselves won't rank particularly well on their own accord, since they aren't original.

Are you doing much linkbuilding around "esports"? I did some checking, and I don't see any links at all?

I have not. This is my first attempt at any of this stuff, so I've spent the majority of the time getting the site the way I wanted and consistent updates. I'll start actually providing more content as well as featuring "esports" a lot more.

Thanks for advice though, it really is much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Crunchtime posted:

I have not. This is my first attempt at any of this stuff, so I've spent the majority of the time getting the site the way I wanted and consistent updates. I'll start actually providing more content as well as featuring "esports" a lot more.

Thanks for advice though, it really is much appreciated.
Try and get 500 word articles in there now and again. Hit about 3% for the keyword that you're targeting. That way when you actually do link building, the ranking will stick.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Moniker posted:

Try and get 500 word articles in there now and again. Hit about 3% for the keyword that you're targeting. That way when you actually do link building, the ranking will stick.

So, I've done some googling around, and I can't really come up with a consistent definition of "link building". What do you mean by that in general terms?

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So, I've done some googling around, and I can't really come up with a consistent definition of "link building". What do you mean by that in general terms?

Link building is getting links from other sites back to your own site. You can go about this in a "legit" way, or by "black hat" methods.

Here's a good resource for someone just starting out:
http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got a $100 Adwords credit I'm going to chuck if any one wants it.
New accounts only, needs to be used by March 31st.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I got a $100 Adwords credit I'm going to chuck if any one wants it.
New accounts only, needs to be used by March 31st.

I could use it. My SA username @ gmail.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lwoodio posted:

I could use it. My SA username @ gmail.

I'll email it to you when I get home.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Woohoo, one week after launch and I'm only 3 spaces away from the front page of google results for my keyword group.

For some reason the 7th post I wrote out of the 17 that I have up so far is the one Google chose as my snippet.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Woohoo, one week after launch and I'm only 3 spaces away from the front page of google results for my keyword group.

For some reason the 7th post I wrote out of the 17 that I have up so far is the one Google chose as my snippet.

Did you fill out your meta description?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

lwoodio posted:

Did you fill out your meta description?

Yeah it uses half of my meta description and half of my 7th post.

The 7th post is the one that hit the front page of yahoo search results the day I uploaded it.-

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
As I previously mentioned, I started doing a bit of off line marketing that sort of spawned directly from this thread. I have two meetings set up for Tuesday afternoon that could potentially net me $1,600! All of the knowledge in this thread will have hopefully paid off!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.sprainrelief.com

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Barely getting a hit a week, mixture of spun content and original writing.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

Rime posted:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Barely getting a hit a week, mixture of spun content and original writing.

If you're depending on organic traffic:
"sprain relief" has less than 10 local monthly searches according to Google Keyword Tool.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

^^^^^ also this

Rime posted:

A quick search also shows 0 backlinks. How are you intending on promoting this website?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Here's a blog I write for a local mobile phone company. The main aim is to just write interesting articles that customers can read and have a feeling that we know what we're talking about.

http://www.freedom-mobiles.com/blog

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

DarthBlingBling posted:

Here's a blog I write for a local mobile phone company. The main aim is to just write interesting articles that customers can read and have a feeling that we know what we're talking about.

http://www.freedom-mobiles.com/blog

Personally, I think it's pretty tacky to remove the credit line on free wordpress themes. Especially for legitimate businesses.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/lightword

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

The Swinemaster posted:

Personally, I think it's pretty tacky to remove the credit line on free wordpress themes. Especially for legitimate businesses.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/lightword

No idea, I just write the blog. They run the site, I'll point this out though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moniker, how is your Smart Dogs website doing? I'm thinking of relaunched a couple of my niche sites and your default layout and ad placement is what I'm thinking of running on all of them.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Moniker, how is your Smart Dogs website doing? I'm thinking of relaunched a couple of my niche sites and your default layout and ad placement is what I'm thinking of running on all of them.

To be honest I've been slacking on it due to starting the offline marketing business. However, when I had good SERP ranking it seemed to generate pretty good clicks. I need to get that ranking again now that I think about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zapf Dingbat posted:

It's been helpful since the last time I built a web site was in 1994 (with notepad!).

Don't laugh, that's how a lot of us still write. Ok, sure I use Coda and not Notepad specifically as it offers many advantages (live remote editing, keyword colouring etc) but I'd much rather start with a blank canvas in Notepad than a fresh Wordpress install any day of the week. I think Wordpress and most of the other CMS platforms just end up producing identikit websites... fine if all you want from your site is a cash flow, but I enjoy customising the hell out of my sites and trying new things each time. Not sure what SEO tools the CMS' have in their libraries, but when I was running that Goon TV site, I was hitting front page/top 5 hits on things like 'Name of Show s01 e03' and the like, as well as various people's names (reality TV shows, decent niche but there's no way in hell have I got the tolerance to cover it myself!)

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I find it strange that you value search engine optimization, but wouldn't consider optimizing your development time with a CMS like Wordpress. There's nothing WP does that you can't do yourself with a hand-coded site and vice versa, so your SERP results aren't surprising.

The key is that using Wordpress as a starting point gives you so much more in just a few minutes of work. It is still up to you keep it from being identical. I use Sublime Text for my editing.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Wordpress is incredibly customizable. There is nothing you can't do re: SEO with Wordpress. It can be annoying to implement some modifications of the core files with filters, but anything else is cake.

Vim 4 life btw!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Sancho posted:

Wordpress is incredibly customizable. There is nothing you can't do re: SEO with Wordpress. It can be annoying to implement some modifications of the core files with filters, but anything else is cake.

Vim 4 life btw!

I used Wordpress for my offline marketing site and you would never tell that it's a Wordpress backend in a million years.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rime posted:

What keywords are you targeting exactly?

I know I wouldn't google "sprain relief".

"Sprained my ankle" or "treatment for sprained ankle" definitely.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Since this heady day, I took a steep, steep dive. I don't even chart for my keyword group on Google. I'm not surprised though, I have 0 backlinks aside from the facebook page tied to the blog. I'm working on some good cornerstone content that I should be able to farm backlinks with so hopefully that will improve things.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
I want to start a blog that encompasses all of my interests and activities. Would it be smarter to have 4 or 5 small blogs or 1 multi-niche' "my life" style blog that would have more interesting content then the individual single niche' blogs?

I would also like to incorporate a marketplace on the site for my glass creations, which would relate to one of my main blog topics.

Input and advice appreciated.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Onta vasa posted:

I want to start a blog that encompasses all of my interests and activities. Would it be smarter to have 4 or 5 small blogs or 1 multi-niche' "my life" style blog that would have more interesting content then the individual single niche' blogs?

I would also like to incorporate a marketplace on the site for my glass creations, which would relate to one of my main blog topics.

Input and advice appreciated.

Definitely different niches IMO.

Agent 99
Oct 25, 2005
If any SA food bloggers are interested in trading blog roll links let me know. I'm getting about 1000 views a month but it's growing. I have PM's.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Agent 99 posted:

If any SA food bloggers are interested in trading blog roll links let me know. I'm getting about 1000 views a month but it's growing. I have PM's.

Is this your food blog? If so I have a kitchen appliance blog that would be considered related by Google, I'm sure. I'll trade. If you're interested, PM me your anchor text.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Can I get some advice?

Im planning to get one site off the ground fairly soon, a blog about news from some linked high tech industries, but the close keyword match domains are all taken. If Ive got genuinely insightful posts and try to make up for the lack of domain name by some hard SEO using meta tags, article names and keyword dropping in posts will I be able to claw some of that disadvantage back?

If it goes south with regards to revenue then I've chosen the subject as something that will pay to have industry knowledge about after I finish my degree.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Zero Gravitas posted:

Can I get some advice?

Im planning to get one site off the ground fairly soon, a blog about news from some linked high tech industries, but the close keyword match domains are all taken. If Ive got genuinely insightful posts and try to make up for the lack of domain name by some hard SEO using meta tags, article names and keyword dropping in posts will I be able to claw some of that disadvantage back?

If it goes south with regards to revenue then I've chosen the subject as something that will pay to have industry knowledge about after I finish my degree.

The domain name really kills with SEO, but if you optimize on page, headers, meta, H1, and make sure you have a site map, submit your RSS, etc. Essentially everything else SEO to the best of your abilities, then you'll be fine. I would, however, target your domain name to SOME keyword in your general field. I'd use the Google keyword tool in order to find one with high search results and low competition; this will help you naturally rank higher in that keyword so you will not have to work very hard to get traffic from that keyword alone.

I have a blog about a musical instrument and found a keyword that gets about 9k/month searches and I got an exact domain match and with little to no effort, I've been ranking 3-5 for months. I pull in like $25/month for doing literally nothing with this site. So to sum up, I'd find an exact keyword domain for something rather than nothing, and work on your on page SEO to target that. The rest of the natural keywords will come.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Moniker posted:

The domain name really kills with SEO, but if you optimize on page, headers, meta, H1, and make sure you have a site map, submit your RSS, etc. Essentially everything else SEO to the best of your abilities, then you'll be fine. I would, however, target your domain name to SOME keyword in your general field. I'd use the Google keyword tool in order to find one with high search results and low competition; this will help you naturally rank higher in that keyword so you will not have to work very hard to get traffic from that keyword alone.

I have a blog about a musical instrument and found a keyword that gets about 9k/month searches and I got an exact domain match and with little to no effort, I've been ranking 3-5 for months. I pull in like $25/month for doing literally nothing with this site. So to sum up, I'd find an exact keyword domain for something rather than nothing, and work on your on page SEO to target that. The rest of the natural keywords will come.

So basically if my preferred keyword is XY but I cant get it I should try for a website like Xinsight.com or XIndustryY.com ?

Also is there any good source of free images? I dont want to use a photo of something and then have somebody come along claiming to be the author and slapping me with a demand for cash that I dont really have.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I have my blog, https://www.mrtrifecta.com which gets a few thousand visitors a month, about 1/4 of those are unique. I'd like to drive more to my blog. Anyone mind taking a look and giving any recommendations? Using two WP SEO's, the all in one and the platinum SEO.

Been trying to back link on other websites as well. Content is updated daily. Ideas?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Affiliate sales can become so addicting.

I've made it a goal to update my personal blog at least 6 days a week with either an article or video from Youtube.

Occasionally I'll recommend or review something and plug in an affiliate link to the product.

This past week, I've made $300 doing nothing outside the ordinary.

Might as well put up my blog - http://dclaiborne.com

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Zero Gravitas posted:

So basically if my preferred keyword is XY but I cant get it I should try for a website like Xinsight.com or XIndustryY.com ?

Also is there any good source of free images? I dont want to use a photo of something and then have somebody come along claiming to be the author and slapping me with a demand for cash that I dont really have.

foter.com in the OP is a good site.

Basically for domain names it's all about targeting something. I mean some of the most popular sites have domain names that have nothing to do with their industry, but if you're blogging to make money, I suggest finding something that matches directly. All of my direct matching domains draw more traffic.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I have my blog, https://www.mrtrifecta.com which gets a few thousand visitors a month, about 1/4 of those are unique. I'd like to drive more to my blog. Anyone mind taking a look and giving any recommendations? Using two WP SEO's, the all in one and the platinum SEO.

Been trying to back link on other websites as well. Content is updated daily. Ideas?

I'd lessen your tag cloud to a few specific keywords so it will up the keyword density per page. Also add more text. For example:

quote:

Pompano Park Results 4/30/12

The wet weather really made the entire card unpredictable which caused for alot of confusion and alot of horses who normally wouldn’t win, win this evening. We did hit one nice winner and one nice exacta, but that was about it. It certainly helped our ROI.

If you are targeting the title keyword then use it in the actual blog post.

quote:

Pompano Park Results 4/30/12
The wet weather really made the Pompano Park Results 4/30/12 an entire card of unpredictability! That weather caused a lot of confusion and a lot of horses who normally wouldn't win to win Pompano Park. Results 4/30/12 did prove that we did hit one nice winner and one nice exacta...

See how I got the title in a few more times? I'd make sure to stretch those words out a lot. Try and write a couple of hundred words per update and it will help in draw traffic from Google for sure. Also target your keywords consistently.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone want a $100 adwords credit? New accounts only, must be used but June 30th, blah blah blah.

PM me

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Moniker posted:

advice

Thanks! Will put that to use.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Moniker posted:

I'd lessen your tag cloud to a few specific keywords so it will up the keyword density per page. Also add more text. For example:

If you are targeting the title keyword then use it in the actual blog post.

See how I got the title in a few more times? I'd make sure to stretch those words out a lot. Try and write a couple of hundred words per update and it will help in draw traffic from Google for sure. Also target your keywords consistently.

Now when I update, I generally do two a day. First one generally has a few hundred to a thousand words and the second is purely results. When I use WP SEO, I generally only toss in say my first paragraph as I was under the assumption you can only put in roughly 160 chars, is that correct?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Now when I update, I generally do two a day. First one generally has a few hundred to a thousand words and the second is purely results. When I use WP SEO, I generally only toss in say my first paragraph as I was under the assumption you can only put in roughly 160 chars, is that correct?

I am not sure. I don't use WP SEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Maybe I'm dumb, but somebody help me. With the keyword search tool in the OP, it talks about finding words with 1000+ searches and $1+ CPC... but I can't seem to find where the CPC is when I do a search for like, Video Games, I get the various related searches and can see and sort the unique clicks and local whatsits, but I cannot see anywhere where it lists the Costs per Click.

Can someone screengrab what I want to find? Here's what I'm staring at now: (click for big)

• Locked thread