Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So would a blog rating DVD rippers be considered "Any other content that is illegal, promotes illegal activity or infringes on the legal rights of others."

I went through a huge hassle earlier this year getting my legal DVD library ripped and added to my computer for Xbox streaming. Id like to make an info blog about it, but not sure if Google would get upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I'm looking at a keyword for strategy for a certain video game, and it gets around 4,000 global searches a month (on EXACT settings), and low competition.

google insights for search lists this keyword phrase as a breakout category, and I think the market is ripe

Is this a good starting point for my niche blog?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mcsuede posted:

A good resource though I disagree that metatags should be used at all, there's growing evidence that the two major engines are using them as spam indicators in some situations. Growing opinion is that they should just be ignored and are a waste of time, possibly even harmful. Plugin guide is also somewhat out of date.

Friend of mine builds sites for a living w/a major web market firm. When I asked him about metatags being useful or not for SEO, he linked me to

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/

and told me yes, still very useful.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

cartooncart posted:

I'm very glad that I have began doing this later in life. By the way, Best Cartoons Ever has been hit hard by the new January change, but for some reason, Bruce Banner . Net is doing almost just as good as the other site within a month. I guess a very focused site, does help search results.

how many visitors a day are you getting on BB.net?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Is there any benefit to registering multiple URLs for a given set of keywords, then redirecting the traffic to your blog?

That is, say my niche blog url is bestgardengnomes.com because I see 2000 global searches/mo with a CPC of 1.87

But I also see other good keyword groups with high CPC and global searches like "top 10 garden gnomes" and "what garden gnome should I buy"

Aside from limiting the competition, is there any advantage to registering top10gardengnomes.com, then redirecting the traffic to bestgardengnomes.com.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Well I was thinking more in the sense of, owning the keyword matching URLs would help my SEO for those keyword terms, driving more traffic to bestgardengnomes.com

My blog would still be about "best garden gnomes", but I'd also be better able to target keywords like "top 10 garden gnomes" and the like if I register those keyword matching URLs as well and redirect to bestgardengnomes.com

**edit - I'm not explaining my thinking as well as I should.

Lets try this.

People searching for "best garden gnomes" will find my site because the URL has the keywords in it. However I'd also like to target for "top 10 garden gnomes" as well. The blog is optimized for that, but I was wondering if it would be optimized even higher if I set up a redirect to bestgardengnomes.com from a keyword matching URL like "top10gardengnomes.com".

That is, people will search for "Top 10 Garden Gnomes", my redirect page will rank high because the url will be "top10gardengnomes.com" and it will redirect to "bestgardengnomes.com" which has "top 10 garden gnomes" keyword matching content.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 12, 2012

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
That makes sense.

Ok, last one then I think I'm ready to go.

bestgardengnomes.com has a Local Monthly Search of 3600 and CPC of 2.86

top10gardengnomes.com has a LMS of 1300 but a CPC of 4.26

Which URL am I better off going for? More visitors with bestgardengnomes.com but higher CPC with top10gardengnomes.com

Obviously whichever I don't go with I'd make sure to optimize the site for.

By the way, thanks for this thread. It's fun to have a chance to put my excel Kung Fu to work.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 12, 2012

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Very low competition on both, weak front page for sure.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Anyone have any good premium themes to suggest? I like Heatmap a lot, but don't quite want to shell out $70 until I'm sure I'll be doing this more.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Define customization. Like, were you editing the CSS?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Well this thread has been a huge learning experience so far. I never realized how just how much goes into a professional blog of any kind. So very, very much more than "make sure to write every day".

Just thought I'd share this with everyone. How to secure your wordpress blog.

http://www.shareaschnitzel.com/how-to-secure-wordpress-wordpress-security/

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Crunchtime posted:

Finally starting to get somewhere with my blog. I think I have the base idea of it and I have a few posts in the queue scheduled for tomorrow.

My graphics guy is gonna get a logo/banner/favicon for me this week.

Does anyone have any constructive criticism? This is my first time really messing with wordpress or blogging in general.

http://www.gameswecrave.net

Every link needs meaningful anchor text. If you don't want it viewable, set it to text-indent:-9999px, but you need to include it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Crunchtime posted:

I'd like you to look at mine too, if you feel like it!

I'm sort of wishy washy too. I use "esports" with the site gameswecrave.net

Spelling. The word you're looking for is "cannon" not "canon".

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Woohoo, one week after launch and I'm only 3 spaces away from the front page of google results for my keyword group.

For some reason the 7th post I wrote out of the 17 that I have up so far is the one Google chose as my snippet.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

lwoodio posted:

Did you fill out your meta description?

Yeah it uses half of my meta description and half of my 7th post.

The 7th post is the one that hit the front page of yahoo search results the day I uploaded it.-

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rime posted:

https://www.sprainrelief.com

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Barely getting a hit a week, mixture of spun content and original writing.

What keywords are you targeting exactly?

I know I wouldn't google "sprain relief".

"Sprained my ankle" or "treatment for sprained ankle" definitely.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Woohoo, one week after launch and I'm only 3 spaces away from the front page of google results for my keyword group.

For some reason the 7th post I wrote out of the 17 that I have up so far is the one Google chose as my snippet.

Since this heady day, I took a steep, steep dive. I don't even chart for my keyword group on Google. I'm not surprised though, I have 0 backlinks aside from the facebook page tied to the blog. I'm working on some good cornerstone content that I should be able to farm backlinks with so hopefully that will improve things.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Well, after changing my target keyword and my URL to https://justbrewbeer.com, I'm actually doing pretty good. I've gotten to page 4 of Google after starting at page 18, and I'm starting to see actual visitors from search results. I'm up to 100 unique visitors per month from about 15 or so, too, and I've gotten a couple of ad clicks.

Of course I still need to do more. A death in my family had put me behind on posting, but I'm going to try to post every day now. Also, the link building has worked, but I really need to get cracking on that, too.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and thanks for the thread.

Im curious, what keywords are you targeting/ranking for?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Waroen posted:

Started this up for the Boston community and got some good traction from Reddit and inviting people to like and subscribe on facebook, but wondering if anybody has suggestions on how to increase traffic? It's kind of died down to a slow stream (same as guy who had issue above)

http://www.bostontipster.com

Your metatags are empty, and each page should have a meaningful url.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo/basics-of-search-engine-friendly-design-and-development

has nicely packaged good information.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I've been reading about website silo'ing and had something of an epiphany.

My URL structure sucks.

Like, it's clearly defined into index.com/category/post-name, but that doesn't tell search engines anything.

Looking at my competitors, I see that they all have my target keywords included in the URL structure

Say I'm going for "best commodore 64 games" (I'm not, but it's a good example)

My URL structure would be something like "commodore64.com/mystery/dick-tracy" while I'm competing against URLs with "commodoreheaven.com/best-commodore-mystery-games/dick-tracy" and losing, hard.

The thing is, how is this not keyword stuffing? Because if it's not, my link structure is about to significantly change.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DarthBlingBling posted:

Quick question. I've spied two keywords X and Y that I'm interested in working with. The domain name XY.co.uk has been bought by a cyber squatter but yourXY.co.uk is available. Will having 'your' in the title affect SEO?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard that Matt Cutts said Google will pretty much stop looking at keywords in the URL sometime in the near future.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So just a status report. I started an entertainment blog back in January after seeing this thread, and decided "Hey, I'd like to work on my SEO skills and improve my HTML/CSS chops."

I did the keyword research, found my keyword group and did all the background work (good markup, meaningful tags, etc). The best thing of all was the amount I learned about how much work goes into blogging. Going into this, I thought blogging was 95% writing, and 5% posting the content.

It's actually closer to the opposite. You have to expend a lot of effort behind the scenes making sure your content is meaningful to the search engines.

After many months of very little progress (I didn't bother with backlinks since I was really just focused on getting the markup right) I totally ignored the blog in order to work on a freelance gig that I got because of my newfound web skills. On a whim, I checked my analytics yesterday (3 months after abandoning it). I'm now #4 for my keyword group, and pulling in about 4k unique hits a month, just based on that keyword grouping.

So if you're frustrated with your inability to make it to the front page, give it time, and stick to the fundamentals. Eventually it will pay off.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Moniker posted:

I highly suggest making an account and adding good content to the subreddit. Like post and answer questions, give theories, ideas, etc. casually mention your site where you can and leave it at that. You'll see a lot more exposure from a post that lingers around in a semi-popular thread as opposed to one that you just spam out there all over the place and then they get down voted right away. Plus people will respect you more.

Also, it doesn't hurt to add some click-bait to your content. For instance, if you have a list of say "Top 10 Fantasy Novels", make it a good list, but add something believable, but not Top 10 quality, and rank it above some of the cherished series. Its the internet, people will fall all over themselves to comment about how you're wrong to rank a Piers Anthony novel above Robert Jordan.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FCKGW posted:

Try lists in something other than 10, like 9 or 12. They tend to get better click troughs. I hear 7 is the best number in fact.

Just take a look at Cracked.com, they specialize in "Top #" lists and nearly none of them are Top 10.

Im going to have to do that. My list items for my site usually require some original content for each one, so going with 7 instead of 10 is a lot less work.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zero Gravitas posted:

1) Choose a subject for your site that doesnt require constant updates like mine does, especially if you work long hours.

Man did I ever learn this lesson. Now I'm learning JSON/my first API so I can add some automatically updating content to my site to help fill the gaps between my content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Wow so had my first encounter with a current version WP bug. Mass update for all of my plugins caused my site to get stuck in maintenance mode. Had to delete the maintenance page from the file server to make things go back to normal.

Bless you Google for your crowd-sourced wisdom.

• Locked thread