Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
So does anyone still blog for bucks? I'm thinking about starting a little side hustle and blogging about it as a side side hustle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Every little bit helps.

My thought is to start doing bike restorations along these lines sort of as a hobby. Possibly as a service for other bike people or more likely buying bikes on CL and flipping them after fixing them up and bringing the bling back. I don't anticipate making a lot of money off of that but I like doing it already, it might be a hobby that actually breaks even.

For the blog side, I'm basically wanting to do what this guy is doing but do it better. I feel like I might have good luck with affiliate links or something along those lines by advertising for vintage bike parts makers such as velo-orange etc. There seems to be somewhat of a renewed interest in vintage bikes (and anything vintage I guess). Or maybe I'm just getting into vintage bikes lately so it just seems like other people are interested too.

I think I have decent photography skills and can write better than the guy I linked above. Plus the posts will be pretty easy to come by by making updates to ongoing restoration projects, lots of pretty pictures. No programming experience but I'm confident I can learn.

This is all in the very early stages, just kicking around ideas.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 31, 2016

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks for the good advice, that's the kind of mindset I'm going for. It seems like the best blogs (not necessarily the highest earning but the ones I most enjoy reading) start as people documenting their hobby in high quality content and slowly build a following before experiencing a sharp growth in readership due to either some exceptional post or people sharing the site with others.

But yeah, in it for the long haul seems to be the biggest key to success.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm writing my first blog post on wordpress.org, should I be embedding my photos via flickr or uploading them to the wordpress media library? I realize I have limited hosting space so it seems like linking to flickr is better in the long run for a photo heavy blog. But I'm a total noob to having my own website so are there any gotchas I hadn't considered? Sorry this is so basic I'm almost embarrassed to even ask.

• Locked thread