Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

cartooncart posted:

I am starting to rank on google which is nice. My blog is mainly just stuff about cartoons and I'm trying to rank for anything with best cartoons or top cartoons. Is it reasonable to try and do some affiliate marketing with amazon? Should I wait until I get a decent amount of traffic?

It usually doesn't hurt to start as soon as possible, unless you think your readers would be disgusted by the presence of affiliate links and instantly close the window (most people don't even notice them if they're well-implemented). There's a free plugin for Wordpress called Pretty Link that lets you easily rename your links. So instead of https://www.amazon.com/234234/?=2349871234/alksdjf982j34, you can make the link something like https://www.yoursite.com/product.

I read a post by a guy who had just started his blog and hadn't put any affiliate links or ads on it, though he was planning to later. One of his posts got picked up by a guy with a huge Twitter following and it drove a ton of traffic to his site, but since he had failed to monetize it, he didn't benefit much from it. The lesson is, if you're planning on monetizing, do it as soon as possible unless you think it's important to build up readership before you put ads on the site. Most people really don't care about ads though as long as they're not excessive and they don't "impact the user experience," as Google would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread