Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Glad to see another blog thread - thanks, sim!

I currently have 4 blogs. Two of them are not monetized and are used to promote different parts of my main business (photographer). The other two are monetized and consist of a personal blog about a smattering of different things (https://www.browniebites.net) and a brand new, painfully naked one with photography and photoshop tips (https://www.pixel-tips.com).

Very interested to see what kind of info shows up in this thread, and I hope to continue to grow my traffic numbers. Don't we all have the same pipe dream of being able to blog for a living? Or is that just me?

Oh, and my piddly stats:

Brownie Bites - averages 200-250 hits a day, with spikes as high as 800-900. Currently using CPM advertising.

Pixel Tips - no traffic stats yet as this one is literally only a few days old. Currently using Google Adsense and probably some affiliate marketing that will be implemented in the future

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

All this talk of affiliate links has inspired me to add a widget to the bottom of my upcoming crafting posts on Brownie Bites.

I'm thinking about grouping together supplies needed to complete the project so that readers can get what they need all at once. I'm planning on having several posts go live next week using the widgets so I'll post about my results once I have some numbers!

Also, I know this is a hard question to answer, but does anyone know how long it takes Google to spider a site? My Pixel Tips blog has only been live for about 12 days, but Yahoo seems to have already picked it up. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have anything that was making Google shy away from including it in the index. :ohdear:

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Bodhi Tea posted:

Have you added the site to Google Webmaster Tools? If not, do that, and then submit a sitemap.

Ahh right - forgot to add the new one to GWT. Just did that, and now I need to install the Google XML sitemap plugin. Thanks for the reminder!

I second Scotsman's advice to blog about what you want or what interests you. Keeping a blog loaded with fresh, new content can be a hell of a commitment. If you have no interest in the topic you're blogging about it'll show in the quality of your posts and make it easier for you to burn out and quit.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Agent 99 posted:

So has anyone used pinterest yet as a traffic driver?
I'm not exactly in the norm as my blog is quite new and not intended to make money (yet!) but I've found a great deal of my traffic comes from there. Interested to hear if anyone else has had any experience.
Is it kosher to try to add my blog to the main post even though it's not quite a 'blog for bucks'? (google adsense shows a good old $1.15 after about 6 weeks)

I also get a great deal of traffic from Pinterest. My posts about recipes or any other "do it yourself" project seem to get the most pins. It's been great for backlinks since the photo that is pinned becomes a link back to your post, and then there's another link with your URL underneath it.

For you food bloggers who can take decent photos, https://www.foodgawker.com and https://www.tastespotting.com are awesome for extra traffic. I get an extra 1,500-2,000 pageviews (spread over a few days) for every photo that's accepted, and most of the users of that site pin photos to Pinterest, so I continue to get residual traffic from those as well.

• Locked thread