Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

So I decided to jump in and start my own site, https://quickiosgames.com.

I'm not looking to compete against toucharcade or slidetoplay, just a simple review site focused on games that you can play while killing some time. I've got about a dozen or so reviews up, I'm just wondering what I need to do next.

I've got a reporter friend that will mention the site on her Facebook feed, but I'm not sure if that will translate into a stable base of readers.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Have a quick question about an issue I'm having on one of my sites. I using the Amazon Product in a Post plugin which was recommended earlier. But the text that it generates under the amazon image is compressed, like so.

The same thing effects a widget in the sidebar as well. I'm thinking I'll have to edit something but I'm not sure where to start.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Sancho posted:

Try Firebug browser plugin and see where that particular widget is pulling its css from.

Excellent, that solved it. Thanks so much.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks to this thread, I think I'm actually going to break even or even make a slight profit. Of course that is assuming that my time and effort is valueless.
But making $100 from Adsense and another $150 from Amazon isn't bad for seven months of work.

I've also been working on the social media side of my sites and between reddit, twitter, and stumble-upon my daily visitors are slowly increasing. Hopefully things keep getting better in the next year.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've been working on another site recently that I kind of stole the idea from Scotsman. Sorry about that.

It's a book order site that focuses on science fiction and fantasy series with links to the Amazon pages for each book. The site has about 90 or so series listed with me attempting to add one a day with most of the major series covered, or at least the ones I enjoy. :)

I've been following some of the tips and ideas that have been posted. I started posting to twitter whenever I added content to the site and followed some of the publishers and major authors. To my surprise, that account gets about one new follower a day. I've even set up a paid stumbleupon account that generates 10 hits a day or so.

But I'm not really seeing any organic hits coming to the site, with only about one a day or so. I know that it takes time and the field is somewhat crowded with goodreads, wikipedia, and even amazon itself to choose from.

So I'm thinking about going on Reddit's science fiction and fantasy pages and posting a link to my site. This might seem like a dumb question, but what is the best way to go about that? Make an account and hit every sub-reddit with a link to my site? Or take my time and gain their trust before I start hawking my site?

And if anyone wants to give me some criticism on the layout, I would really appreciate it. Or even a better way to generating the links to each book. I'm copying and pasting each link from Amazon by hand so anything to speed up the process would be nice.

Guess I should put the address too.

http://scifibookorder.com

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

This is going to be a dumb question, but can you just use the Genesis framework and create your own child theme?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Any recommendations for an Amazon affiliate plug-in? I'm using EasyAzon but it looks like the CTA image button is getting blocked by Ad-Blockers so I'm getting zero clicks. I could always go back to using a text=based link to Amazon but don't want to go through a bunch of pages to redo them and then redo them again if there is a better option.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

This is going to be a strange question, but has anyone setup a site that is designed to attract angry visitors, for example having a site that only has articles that are anti vaping, link to studies/articles about the negatives, and just generally troll the people that are in favor of the topic. I've got an idea for a site, not about vaping, but I'd rather not invest time/energy/money into developing it if there probably won't be any traffic or way of generating revenue.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Moniker posted:

That's actually an interesting idea. Sort of like the Howard Stern effect. More people who don't like him listen than those who do. I don't think that would work too well with a website though. But maybe it's worth a shot.

Thanks for actually explaining it better than I did, but yeah that is my idea. I've already got unlimited hosting already so the only cost would be my time and the $12 for the domain. If it fails, then I'm not out too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Moniker posted:

I'm not sure if it would work, but in a way it's sort of the idea of "fake news". Make the headlines so sensational that people will share them if they agree or if they disagree. Just don't be an unethical oval office and I'm sure you'll do okay

Yeah, I'm going to be careful about it if I decide to give it a try. I'd rather not be one of the assholes that generate headlines that are pure clickbait like the fake death ones I've been seeing. It would be more along the lines of this politican said this, but two months ago they said that, and then their spokesperson clarified, etc.

Then again, maybe I should just concentrate on my other established site and see if I can grow the traffic on it. Only getting 20 views or so a day, gotta be a way to improve that.

• Locked thread