Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Yay, love these threads!

Google Analytics is brilliant at seeing what's working and what's not, especially in how people are reaching your blog and which words their using - refer to it often as you might be suprised at what's your most popular post or update and then you can use that to create more relevant content.

I wrote a humourous guide about who's who on Storage Wars on a whim at the start of the year and it's my number one post with 9,886 views so far. Number two is about Mazda engines in non mazdas and it's trailing behind...at 1,287 views. Sometimes it's the things you don't think will be as popular that end up being a big hit. The traffic sources section of Analytics can also be amusing when you find terms like 'Brandy Schultz Boob Size' somehow got someone to your page.

(Also Sim, could you please change the name of my blog in your list from The Almigo Independant to 'Almigo's Adventures'. My site died a nasty death after it caught some rogue script that kept sending everyone to a Turkish site that sells Kayaks and I had to rebuild it, hence the new name. Cheers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Looking at setting up another blog through Lithium but I'm not so cluey when it comes to the technical side of the net (my current is hosted through a friends company but I'd like to have a site that I have complete control over when it comes to building initially - and Lithium seems to be a much better deal) - what plans are people using for their blogs and any necessary extras that I should factor in as well?

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Oh I'm fine with Wordpress, I use it daily - it's the hosting side of things I'm not cluey with. Ie space needed, which plan suits most blogs, any other features I'll need to purchase to ensure smooth sailing. Hence asking which plans with Lithium other goons are on to host their blogs.

Up until now a friend has been handling the hosting and setup but it's time to branch out..

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
I've seen Black Friday pop up a few times on this site, for non US goons (and fellow Aussies) could someone please explain what the day is all about?

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
^ You're missing an e in that link mate - https://www.onegallonhomebrew.com Cheers :)

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

My tiny terrible blog with no SEO got a search engine hit :ohdear:

Wait til you get .01 from Adsense! Then you've made it :D

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Well it's taken a few months but I reckon I got my first sale through Amazon Assoc. I say reckon because suddenly I had to fill out some tax forms suddenly 'So we can pay you'.

Although they might have just realized they didn't have the proper details from me yet and just decided to ask..

If true though and someone bought the Nissan Cube dress up parts I posted then I'm up for...er..about $6.

SCORE! :D Now to plug a few more body kits..

EDIT: No, they just wanted my tax details. Oh well..

Camo Guitar fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Royal Jeans - could you paste a link to your paper.li? I was just reading about it this morning and it looks really interesting and worth a go, I just wanted to see how someone here uses it. Cheers

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Love IFTTT personally - set and forget and because it's on my phone, it lets me know when its backed up a copy of my post on Evernote in case something happens to the site.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Royal Jeans posted:

For everyone here I highly suggesting submitting your blog to alltop.com. Just go to the bottom of their page under submissions and pick your niche, link your feed, and wait. I've been accepted with two blogs now, both within a few hours of applying.

This is awesome! Took about an hour for my page to get the welcome aboard email. Now to flood with content..

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Trying Stumbleupon at the moment - people are clicking the ad alright but the likes are pretty slim. I had a look at the Cars section where I was targeting and it's all about multi million dollar dream machines - not so much about a $550 Subaru Vortex I found for sale in my town. Oh well, five days to go so it might turn around and if not, it's only the price of a coffee and a sandwhich :)

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Anyone know of a preferably free pop up wordpress plugin that you can configure to say 'Hi you like this stuff, subscribe by putting your email details here etc etc' with the forms in the pop up?

I'm using WP Popups which links up Facebook, Twitter and Google+ via shortcode but I can't figure how to add subscribe forms, just like the ones on the sidebar. Cheers.

P.s Finally reached enough adsense revenue to get a second payout at the end of the month. A big thanks to the poster who suggested ads in the middle. I'm up to $266 now after years of ranting, I'm ballin! :cheers:

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

prinneh posted:

When using amazon affiliate links, does it automatically correct between UK and US users or should I add two links, one labelled US and one labelled UK?

EasyAzon is a pretty good plugin as it gives you the option to plug in Amazon tracking ID's from not only the US and UK but also Canada, China, Brazil. everywhere. Plus it'll switch amazons depending on where you're based. It's a little bit of work to setup but very handy once you're done.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Curious question - has anyone here taken/recycled some of their blog posts and sucessfully transitioned them to a epub book that they sell through Amazon or such?

Obviously this would be for general interest blogging more than targetting a keyword - (something similar to Jeremy Clarksons books: a bunch of his previous newspaper and magazine articles spanning a range of topics). Curious to see if anyone has attempted this and how they went?

Just thinking out loud as I have a lot of previous posts that could be reworked and given a second chance.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I was following the blog creation instructions in the OP but I seem to have hit a road block. I've registered a domain name and have bought hosting from LIthium Hosting, but now when I attempt to use Wordpress it seems to be asking me to map my domain to use it as my site's address for $13? Did I take a wrong step somewhere?

You're not going through wordpress.com are you?

From memory you log into cpanel through lithium, install wordpress through one of the options and go from there.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm literally beginning to feel sick, I'm going to need to take a break. gently caress me. (Please help)

Okay you're probably going to hate this on account of all the time you've spent working on it, but if you're with Lithium there's an easier way. Take a deep breath, pour your favorite drink and lets begin.

You've got your domain, you've got your hosting, now it's time to tell your blank bit of the web what you want to run on it.
- In https://lithiumhosting.com/billing/clientarea.php you'll see 'Your active products/services' (Usually Somethingawful Lurker V2 and then the domain you've registered.) Click on that domain link.
-On the page that lists all your new website details, scroll halfway down the page until you see Login to CPanel
-Down the very bottom of the page you'll find the one-click installers. Select Wordpress.
-It won't take long before wordpress is installed on your domain. Sorted! (no need for FTP and everything else you've been driving yourself insane with)

From here on in you might have to work out the next process yourself (or it'll talk you through it) as I'm not keen on trying to install a new version of wordpress over the one I've already got running and customized. What I can tell you though is when it's all installed to get in and start blogging your little heart out, it'll be your domain name and /WP-ADMIN

So in my case I registered http://driveanotherday.com

To log in and update my posts I need to go to http://driveanotherday.com/wp-admin

Hopefully this cures what ails ya :) Any questions sing out (and if any goon wants to chuck in anything I've missed that'd be great.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

So does anyone still blog for bucks? I'm thinking about starting a little side hustle and blogging about it as a side side hustle.

I still write on occasion but also branched into doing Youtube stuff to add an extra element to my car blog. While it's early days so far the revenue from Adsense for both streams (blog ads and video) has been roughly the same - not much :D (But better than nothing!)

• Locked thread