Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

I might give that a shot, I know some good books I could recommend on the topics I write about.

Yeah, try Amazon. You are sure to get some residual sales just based off your numbers alone.

Are there affiliate programs with magazines like the Economist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Anyone have any ideas about how I can improve my "backpacking in Europe" blog? https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

I haven't updated it for well over 18-24 months but my traffic continues to grow. I'm not making a ton of money but I'd like to start making more. I'm just not sure what else I can add or how to grow the traffic.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Edit: Posted this in the wrong thread...

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 21, 2012

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Arsenic Life Form posted:

Here's my blog on using everyday items to remake famous outfits from TV, movies, and the web. It's still in early stages -- just publishing a new post each day and building up the content for now. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

http://carboncostume.com

This is a pretty fun idea for a blog. Are you making many sales yet? I notice your amazon links are automatically directed to the user's country. What are you using to do this?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
How much traffic do I need to get before I can start making money from private advertisers (ie non-adsense ads). How do I go about finding advertisers?

Also, does anyone have a forum on their site? I was thinking about adding one to my site but there is nothing more depressing than a forum with no community. Anyways, anyone have any recommendations for forum software/providers?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Zero Gravitas posted:

ADVICE FOR PEOPLE LOOKING TO START THIS NOW - AKA dont copy me!

1) Choose a subject for your site that doesnt require constant updates like mine does, especially if you work long hours.

2) Choose a direction that allows you to make good clickbait titles - I know I'm purposely handicapping myself by refusing to give in to the same horseshit that other space news sites do by intentionally misreporting findings for the sake of good headlines.

Yeah, I've resisted adding clickbait articles but I think I might finally give in. My site's traffic has started to increase (despite of me not updating my site) but new "clickbait" articles will probably help increase my exposure.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Well, I decided to change my theme on my travel advice site. I haven't gotten all the kinks out yet and I need to change a few things but I am pretty happy with the change overall. I'm finally going to write some more content as I haven't touched the site in a long time. Let me know what you all think or if there is anything I should change.
http://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

RTB posted:

I'm a big fan of the site in general. Lots of good info since I'm hoping to spend 6-8 months backpacking in the next year or two.

My thoughts:
1) The image slider on your home page switches images way too fast. I can't even read the captions before it switches to the next image.
2) Do you have a mailing list? I couldn't find a signup form anywhere and I definitely would have opted in if you made one available. Depending on how much that Adsense ad in your sidebar is making you, it might be worth testing a version where that was replaced with an email opt-in form. Mailchimp has a free plan and Aweber is only $20/month.

-RTB

Good idea about the speed of the slider. I'll look into slowing it.

I don't have a mailing list. What is the benefit of a mailing list and how would it make me money?

Thanks for the tips!

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

I would switch your comment system over to Disqus if possible, I've seen it increase responses on comments on some of my sites because you readers and respond with disqus/facebook/google/twitter logins. It will import all existing comments for you as well.

Your mobile theme looks good too.

I had Disqus but I think it was slowing my site down. I'll have to give it a shot again.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

mcsuede posted:

Really impressive start. Since '07 my main sideline has been consulting with travel bloggers and you're already ahead of the curve. It's Friday at 4:30 so it's crunch time before the weekend but I'll give you some more detailed feedback next chance I get.

edit: Ran a quick audit, read my advice on Page 17 to Verskans about image optimization. Your images are about 90% heavier than they could be if lossless compressed. More detailed feedback later, might not be until Monday.

Well, the site has been around since 2010 so it isn't exactly new but it has been dormant for about 2 years. But I would love any feedback.

And about the image optimization... I had the smush.it plugin but for some reason it recently stopped working. Not sure why.

EDIT: They updated smush.it today and now it works.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 23, 2013

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

RTB posted:

mcsuede summed it up nicely

More specifically:
1 - You can email your list every time a new post comes out. This helps you in two ways. First it brings more people to your site every month. Second, it makes you less vulnerable to the whims of Google. If you lose all of your search rankings tomorrow, you would still be getting traffic from your list.

2 - You can build a long term rapport with people. Show them repeatedly that you can provide them value and they will be more likely to refer their friends and/or buy affiliate offers you recommend. Want to write an e-book some day? Wouldn't it be nice to have a bunch of people who already love your content that you can sell it to?

3 - If you ever decide to sell the site, a double opt-in list (Mailchimp or Aweber) is a valuable asset and increases your sale price.

I think I never considered a mailing list because I always envisioned my site as a travel resource and not a blog. I don't post new content much but I'm thinking about changing that. Thanks for the tip.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

mcsuede posted:

Omits-Bagels:

A bit more feedback, took another quick look while watching a progress bar.

1) Add a Read More link instead of the elipsis after excerpts. Why this isn't standard on every theme I have no idea.

2) You need to rel=nofollow and mask your affiliate links ASAP. You also need to have a page with a disclaimer about affiliate links and a privacy policy. Not only does Google look for this information, the FCC requires it by law.

3) Try to lower the number of sitewide links you have in the sidebar in the "article archive" section. Or, at the very least, rel=nofollow all of the links in that section. Personally I'd eliminate that section and move all of that content into the top menu, using child menu items where appropriate.

4) Add more text content above category archives like http://thesavvybackpacker.com/category/travel-tips/. Turn "Money Saving Tips, How To Avoid Scams, Solo Traveler Info & Tons Of Great Advice" into 250-500 words. Every category archive, especially how you use them, is an opportunity to feed Google more contextual information. Co-citation is super important now.

5) Strip /category/ from your URLs in WordPress SEO. There's no reason for it--you're not trying to rank for the phrase category and having /category/ in the URL doesn't provide anything useful to a human. While you're at it Follow, Noindex your Tags, Author, Format taxonomies if you haven't already.

6) Increase the number of excerpts shown on the front page to 15. The default 10 you're showing now means you're running out of post content being shown before you run out of sidebar. That's unattractive and people aren't afraid to scroll. This is in the general WordPress settings under Reading.

7) Add additional calls to action in your footer. Like on Facebook, Click Here for Our Great Content in your Email (list submission form), etc. When people hit the bottom that's another chance to convert them. Right now it's just...empty.

8) After your post content you have doubled up calls for social shares. Ditch one or the other. I recommend using Digg Digg and enabling both the floating bar and buttons after content, ditching whatever you're using now. Async all the buttons in Digg Digg and reduce down to only the networks you want to be active with. For travel, I suggest Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Pinterest. You should be posting all content to a G+ Page (to get it indexed super fast) but whether or not you include the +1 button in your social share options is up to you. The goal is not to overwhelm with choice.

...and said progress bar is almost done, that's all the free advice for this moment.

Wow. Thanks a ton. I've started implementing many of your suggestions. So far I've done 3,5,7 and 8. I've started working on #4.

I want to write more content but I'm not really sure that else to write about. Any ideas?

On a side note: My bounce rate when from about 3% to 50% with my new theme. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, I've been getting hit hard with this for the past week or so. I installed a wordpress plugin that limits log-in attempts. I just set it to two attempts and then it bans the IP address for one week. Hopefully that stops them.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

It will not, it's massively distributed so you have hundreds of thousands of IPs trying to log in.

It appears to just be using "admin" or "sitename" accounts, so if you change the admin account and move the login page from the default that will stop the automated attacks.

Better WP Security can do both of those things for you.

Thanks for the tip. I just installed it.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I have a duplicate content question.

A majority of my visitors are from the US but about 40% come from the UK, Canada and Australia. I have one page with a lot of affiliate links but they all go to the US amazon site — so I'm sure I'm missing out on a bunch of sales from non-US visitors. I'd like to recreate that page about three times and change the affiliate links for each of those three countries. I'd hate to rewrite all the content for each page but I also don't want to get penalized by google. Any ideas?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

the mattness posted:

Download the Amazon Links plugin and register for each separate country's amazon affiliate site (yes it is a ball ache and no, amazon have no plans to change it), the plugin will check the geolocation of each visitor and display the relevant country's amazon affiliate link - woo!

Yeah, I looked into that. The problem I'm facing is that some Canadians prefer to order from the US site because the prices are sometimes less than the canadian site. And Amazon doesn't operate in Australia so I'd like to tailor those links to an Australian retailer.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

cartooncart posted:

This is going to be a long post. Hopefully, it makes sense.

Link Theory

I'm not going to lie. I flirt with black hat & spam, but I'm also very paranoid when it comes to algorithm & manual penalties. I strongly believe that you need to accept that link building is and should be considered a sketchy and risky activity.

I try to simulate "white hat" link earning. I focus more on simulating natural processes than building an unnatural amount of links in a short period.

The first step to any campaign is studying the biggest and most reputable sites in the niche I need to work in. I mainly look at their backlink profiles and recent history.

It's pretty easy to classify links into three types. A link profile is kind of like a t-bone steak. You have the fat which is spammy links like directories, squidoo lenses, hubpages, ..., the bone which are the huge authority sites like BBC & Mashable and the meat which is everything in between.

I know that it's impossible for me to get links on the huge sites with such a small budget and spammy links can be more trouble than their worth. In any case, I try to replicate the meaty links for my clients. For example, if I see most good sites in a niche get around 15 to 16 new links from new domains a month, I'll try to get 20 or so.

I still get a positive impact from this because new content is always created with my link. I have never gotten a link on an old page. If I'm having trouble, I may get a link on a page that is a few months old but it's rare.

I only resort to crappy links if I do not begin to see enough of an impact or competition is still using that technique exclusively. In both cases, I'll ensure that I don't do it as much as the competitor.

On a side note, I do pay strong attention to making sure my anchor text is a mix between branded/non-branded. I also make sure I have a good balance between home vs. sub-pages vs. deep links. I tend to just use my instincts for the percentages and often let the author choose his own anchor text. If it's really bad, I'll tell them to change it.

In Practice

I use a lot of automation tools for researching/prospecting but I essentially take the top 50 Google, Yahoo, Bing results / find lists of niche blogs / use Xenu to get list of profiles for forum users / etc. I'll use SEOGadget to grab the emails / contact pages and I send emails to everybody without even verifying their site. The only check I do is to make sure they weren't classified as spammy, PR is ok and their isn't too much discrepancy between PR and DA.

You might think that this is super spammy. I'd just like to say out of 200 websites, I may only get 100 emails and I usually get maybe 10 replies and 10 error messages. I rarely get "gently caress off messages" because I'm legitimately giving people money.

Once I get replies, I'll do a basic check of the site to make sure it's relevant to the niche, isn't crappy, doesn't look like it will be getting penalised soon, doesn't talk about SEO/Advertising too much, etc. If all is good, I'll pitch an idea, mention news, etc. If they are chill, I'll build a relationship and use them for other clients.

If I don't think I'd be proud to show it to my client, I won't get the link. I tend to apologize/offer tips to people I refuse. Sometimes this gets me "gently caress you, my seo guy said it is good to comment as car repair washington on an autoblog selling ipods."

How To Attract People Like Me

- Have a nice site that doesn't talk to much about ads/SEO/etc.
- Post frequently
- Have your email easily accessible on your home page, about page, or contact page. I have only used contact boxes for one client in a really SEO savy niche.

For Those Who Want To Do This

Concentrate on making good content first. There is nothing harder than trying to link to a site that only sells products, unless you want to pay $$$. If you actually have good content, you might get lucky or get away with a anonymous guest post...

How much do you pay for links? I'm trying to find ways to monetize my site. I'm not in love with the idea of selling links but I also have to pay for my wife's student loans... my site is thesavvybackpacker.com

Additionally, how much do your services run?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Wow, thanks. I'll read over this advice and see what I can do.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
My travel site's traffic has taken a dive over the past week. Hopefully this is a seasonal thing since is about planning travel to Europe (and most people are actually traveling at this time).

My traffic exploded in May so it is a bit disheartening to see it drop this month. I guess I need to work on producing content to bring visitors all year long.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Doghouse posted:

I was just listening to a podcast the other day and they were interviewing this guy who apparently had a lot of success as an Amazon affiliate. He said something interesting, which is that he saw almost no sales from widgets. The majority of his sales were from links inside his posts. In other words, he would post a link to a product on amazon that matched what he was talking about. Pretty interesting, although it kind of seems a bit shady. But I guess it's really not. Kind of like when radio hosts do those spoken ads. He said that people seem to trust and be more drawn to something personally written by the author, rather than something that is clearly an ad.

This is what I do and it works pretty well. The widgets suck — don't waste your time on them.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Does anyone have tips for improving my adsense revenue? My site isn't really "optimized" so I'm sure I could be making a little more from adsense.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

SweatyE posted:

I came across an official adsense video a few days back that suggested that wide ad units (leaderboard, large rectangle etc) perform better than tall ones due to the way we read horizontally opposed to vertically. Apparently some sites have had a massive profit increase (40%+) but switching to slightly wider ads - all of the ones they recommended show up in adsense as "recommended sizes" which makes sense. Not only are they more eyecatching, but as they are most commonly used there are more advertisers using those sizes so more competition!

Yeah, google has been pushing me to use wider ads... unfortunately the main content area of my site isn't wide enough to fit the ad unit they're recommending.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

mcsuede posted:

Adsense revenue is largely a factor traffic, but you can also multivariate test different adsense blocks to figure out what really works.

Test things like:

Turning on or off particular advertisers
Changing Text Ad colors
Running only Banner or Only Text blocks

You should also multivariate test ad location. Typically the best spots are right after the title and right before the comments. The third location is typically embedded (float right) within the first content paragraph, but not everyone likes that location as it's pretty obtrusive. On most of my sites I put the third ad in the sidebar, but so that it's aligned with the first line of actual content. However what works for you should be tested, not assumed.

Is there a way I can automate this so I don't have to go through each page and change the ads?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I just happened to run across something that said Amazon will be dropping affiliates in Missouri at the end of the month... which is where my main bank accounts are. Amazon accounts for about 90% of my blogs' income. Luckily I just moved states for school so I switched my amazon payment to my local bank but this sucks.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 15, 2013

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

mcsuede posted:

Manage your ad inventory with a system like ad injector, ad rotator, oio publisher, etc.

Thanks. Just set up ad injector so we'll see how it goes.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

mcsuede posted:

Some monetization sites that may come in handy:

clickbank.com
shareasale.com
cj.com
skimlinks.com
linksynergy.com

As for closer 'adsense replacements': http://www.adpushup.com/blog/google-adsense-alternatives-top-11/

Thanks again. I've been using CJ.com for a few things that Amazon doesn't do well. I really like Amazon because of the random sales you get from it and it has relatively high commissions. I've switched my account over to my new state so it should all be fine. If not, I will have my wife sign up to be an affiliate and switch all my links over. It will be a pain in the rear end but should only take a few hours.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

mcsuede posted:

Manage your ad inventory with a system like ad injector, ad rotator, oio publisher, etc.

Woah, just noticed that ad injector is making my site do some funky things. For whatever reason, some of my posts don't load — well, everything loads but the content of the post. It is strange because not every post has this problem. Of course it made one of my main "money" pages not load. I think it is all sorted now but it took me a few days until someone left a comment on the page. I did see in increase in my adsense earnings though.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Throw your poo poo up on pintrest and make sure your pintrest image looks nice. I'm getting a good deal of traffic from there.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
How do you get backlinks? I have a lot of good content and do decently with organic searches but hardly have any backlinks. The top results in google don't have as good of content as I do but they have a crap load of links.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Bobx66 posted:

How do I grow my Facebook follow-ship? My total monthly unique visitors are about 20x higher than my facebook fan count. Granted most of my traffic comes from referrals but my direct uniques are still completely out of whack with FB. I have slowly and 100% naturally grown my fanbase and I try to keep a steady stream of reposts and outside content flowing through my facebook feed in order to appease my fans but I am still disappointed with the numbers and I want to throw some money at it.

I have no interest in buying fans although, it seems like many of my competitors who have less site traffic are doing just that, unless I'm missing something like a snowball effect @ > 10,000 fans. I am trying to build recurring referral traffic and add credibility to my brand name which is beginning to extend outside of the blog.

Are there any case studies on using their internal advertising system? What other options are there? I have been considering give-aways as an easy way to generate new fans, is there anywhere I can read about a similar strategy?

Where do I start?

yeah, i bought some fake likes on fiverr. I think I got like 3k but about 2.5k of them went away within a month or two. I did see an increase of real likes though. I don't think I would do it again. What is your blog again?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Black Friday niche blog was a big success.

I also made a few hundred from SkimLinks as well, I'm really digging their system. Any link to one of their retail partners is monetized, no special links or coding is required.

I had to watch the site constantly and upgrade my VPS 4 times, ultimately going to a 12 core 32gb system to handle the spikes and load. I think I'm going to put some of this money into having someone build me a new site for next year and maybe moving off wordpress.

I just wish this lasted more than 2 weeks out of the year.

Nice! I was wondering when you would post. How exactly does SkimLinks work? It looks interesting.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Skimlinks takes a couple days to tally affiliate sales so the total doubled since I last posted.

I wonder if I can turn off Skimlinks for just Amazon. I do pretty well with Amazon already so I'd be worse off if they took a 25% cut. But for other sights it would be nice.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Yes, you can. In fact, it's off by default, you have to tell it to rewrite Amazon URLs if you want.

You also have to remember that they take a cut of the referral fee, but they can also get a higher fee than and individual affiliate might be able to negotiate. So a 25% cut of the referral fee may still be more than whatever lowest fee you can get from Amazon. If you start making enough sales to be in the 6.5%+ range then you're probably better going direct.

Nice. thanks. Yeah, I'm making more than 6.5% on Amazon. I need to look more into this.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Setting up your own website/blog isn't too difficult these days and it ins't even expensive. You can buy cheap hosting for $10/yr and get a domain name for $12. If you start getting visitors to your site you'll probably make enough off Adsense to pay for those costs.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
loving Wikihow.... They're ranking for my top keywords and content on the page sucks.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
So my blog about backpacking in Europe has been slowly dropping in the ranking. This summer I was bouncing between spot 3-5 for search terms like "backpack europe" and backpacking europe" but now I'm hovering around spots 9 to 11. However, the top spots are now wikihow, a crappy huffpost article, about.com articles and a few other pretty worthless articles. Any ideas what I can do?
Here is my site: http://thesavvybackpacker.com

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Zero Gravitas posted:

So the logic goes, people see the increased number of followers (even if they are just cardboard cutouts) and think the site is worth following instead of seeing only ~25 people following the site now and thinking "its too small to bother with".

Alternatively, it might be worth paying for advertising or paying a very popular twitter user for some sponsored tweets.

I tried buying FB fans. I got something like 3000 fans for $5. They were all gone about a month or two later. I'm not sure if it helped raise my street cred but it could have.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

snagger posted:

Have you checked your site on a mobile device? Likely candidates would be breaking your responsive design, bad HTML, or including media that wouldn't display on a mobile device.

Mine went from 5 to 4 and then back to 5 about a week later.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

I Am Hydrogen posted:

I started my first monetized blog on Monday. It's been going well so far. I've been hammering social media, getting some organic traffic from google, and have also posted some paid ads on bing because I had $100 in coupons there, so it's free traffic.

I get about 20-30 unique visitors a day. Average time spent on my site today with 15 visitors so far today as been 1m 10s. My problem is that no one is clicking on my google ads. I have a top banner ad and then a large square ad at the top of my sidebar. I have the banner set to picture ads only, and the sidebar ad is pic and text ads. I've had 15 clicks on my affiliate links, but no one has purchased anything.

Is this something that just takes time/requires more visitors? I have seven posts so far and about 1-2 affiliate links per post. I'm considering adding an in-post text ad from google, but don't want to appear too spammy, especially while I'm still trying to grow my audience. It's a dog blog where I post tips for dog owners, how to advice, and my own personal experiences with my dog if that helps for context.

EDIT:

Try stumbleupon as well. I get some traffic from there, though not much yet.

As warheadr mentioned, it's fine as long as you add some commentary of your own. Maybe provide some additional insight, or your response to the post. I haven't reposted people's posts on my social media other than retweets, but I do try to reply to people's posts on their blog with my website attached to my post.

I also read that adding the #RT hashtag increases retweets by something like 70% according to some small study. I'm trying to find the source again. I also post pictures of my dog with something funny/cute with a link to my blog/post if you're able to do something similar. People retweet them way more often, and I've gained a bunch of followers that way.

I get 1,500-2,000 uniques a day and still only get a few clicks. It just takes a ton of volume to make anything off adsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

KetTarma posted:

Im worried that my affiliate links are messed up somehow. Amazon says that 50 people have clicked on them so far. One person bought something a while ago. Yesterday, one of my regular readers told me that he bought something through an affiliate link (though it wasnt the item I had posted, he bought something else). I havent seen it show up on my feed yet. Does this indicate something is wrong?

I'm not worried about the lost revenue so much as having it misconfigured for so long.

Amazon has a link checker tool thingy that will tell you if your affiliate link is phrased correctly.

• Locked thread