Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Is there an optimal ad type or placement area? I've got a website averaging 500 uniques/day and just slapped a leaderboard banner ad on it a few weeks ago - it seems to be performing ok, with a RPM of $6 but I'm just wondering if there's a better way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Just finished up my first month on AdSense with about $50 in earnings, on a RPM of $5.60. Not bad, considering I was making no money before!

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

laxbro posted:

Congrats! What kind of traffic are you getting and where are you placing your ads?

I just stuck 1 728x90 leaderboard at the top of every page on my site. I seem to be getting around 500-600 visitors/day.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Pierce and Pierce posted:

How do you have your ad settings? Image+Text, image only, interest ads or no interest ads?

I'm doing image+text.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

mcsuede posted:

This video is great because it scared people off FB PPC and the CPC there remains a complete steal. The truth is the guy's methodology was nonsense and there's a ton of money to be made on FB ads if you know how to target.

Do you have any particular targeting suggestions?

Does anyone know if there's a SEO benefit to regularly updating your blog posts?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Most niche-site creation guides recommend choosing a keyword with a CPC of around $1 and around 1000-5000 monthly searches. But could there also be a benefit to choosing a keyword with a lower CPC and a higher number of monthly searches? Assuming the same level of competition, wouldn't the higher traffic balance out the lower CPC?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I saw a big decline in traffic this weekend - took nearly a 40% drop in hits per day. I'm not sure if I was hit by some sort of Google algorithm update or what - I haven't done any blackhat SEO or really any linkbuilding in general, so it's a bit confusing.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

It shouldn't, though I'll have to check my backlinks to make sure I'm not getting any crummy links. The only major change I've made to my site recently is inserting an AdSense ad into all my blogposts, though I wouldn't think that Google would penalize me for that.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I make a few bucks a month off Amazon, but it's way less consistent than Adsense. I've been meaning to write a couple articles more explicitly targeted towards Amazon products and see how those do.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

How do you make money off AdSense? It just feels.. dirty. I've seen some stuff on eye-tracking and user focus behaviour and what I've taken away from it is that people are really good at subconsciously filtering out ads, especially those block AdSense ads and especially in the places people normally put them. So unless you're willing to seriously warp the presentation and quality of your content, and trick people into reading/clicking ads as if they were part of the content, it's largely just an eyesore.

I just assumed that everybody here was using AdSense. I only have experience with Amazon affiliaties and AdSense, but I love AdSense as it's a fairly consistent $3-5/day for me. It's also easy to find high CPC keywords to write articles on, with the keyword research tool.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

invision posted:

Anddddddddd ad deal #2 is done. I talk about it a lot but if you're not on social media connecting to business owners/marketing people and running ads on your site you're screwing yourself really hard. Adsense/whatever is barely worth it unless you have insane amounts of traffic, or you're into blackhat warrior forum sales funneling woo techniques.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you making from private ad deals? Is it based on traffic/clicks somehow, or is it a flat fee?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Looks like most of your hits are coming from Reddit (r/serialkillers), which would support a high bounce rate. Ads won't perform super well, as Reddit users generally use Adblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I've been running a niche hobby blog (coin collecting) for a couple of years now, and would like to explore the possibility of putting together an ebook from the blog articles I've written. Is there anything I should keep in mind when adapting my articles to an ebook? Any great guides for writing an ebook?

• Locked thread