Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Will switching my site from .net to .com a few months down the road hurt my SEO at all? The .com is $350 so I want to make sure I am into blogging and making a small profit before I throw down that much money for a .com TLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
What do you guys put in your sidebar? I'm thinking Mini bio, popular posts widget, social icons but can't think of what else to put in. I read somewhere that the sidebar is poo poo for ads. Any truth to that?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Great I think I'll add the email subscription tomorrow and ads when I start getting more traffic. Do you use mailchimp? Are there better services out there for email subscription?

My site is https://www.fruitfanatic.net. I launched it about two weeks ago and have been slowly working on it. I only have five blog posts so far and am sitting on page 20 for google search results on the keyword I chose. Any tips or criticisms are welcome.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
What is a good recommended posts widget? I have the popular posts widget but I would like to be able to point my first time readers to my best and most important articles.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Great, thanks!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
How do you guys write for keywords? I find that my writing starts become a little robotic if I actively try to write around my keywords. I've been writing my articles naturally then going back in to squeeze in keywords when I can. Is using my actual keyword once or twice ok? I use related words or parts of the keyword throughout the article it just seems kind of forced if I used "healthy fruit smoothie recipes" more than a few times in a 400 word post.

Anyone have any backlinking tips or want to trade backlinks with a food related blog? I'm currently getting all of my traffic(20-40 clicks/day) through a related niche forum that I've been posting at. I've started with pinterest and foodgawker but it seems like I'll have to wait until I get my new camera to get any value out of those sites.

Anyways, got my first ad click yesterday, $3.16 so far!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Thanks! Makes me feel much better about just writing and letting people come to me through promotion rather than keywords. I'm a peace corps volunteer so I feel like it is much more interesting and fun to write my recipe posts with the peace corps twist rather than just stuffing in keywords.

The niche forum I'm on has a recipe section so I have just been posting a few of my best recipes there with a link to the full blog post at the bottom. It's a pretty dead part of the forum but it still brings me about 10-40 views a day currently which is basically all I am getting at this point.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Why does AdSense show I earned two cents today with no clicks? I got a click earlier this week worth 3.16, was hoping for a few more of those.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I have pinterest, Facebook and g+ pages going. Also put $15 down for a stumble upon campaign. Should have a new camera soon which will help a lot seeing as I blog about fruit recipes.

grenada fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 25, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

KetTarma posted:

What's with the big grey box at the bottom?

Google ad, I need to make the background match the rest of the page.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Anyone use rich snippets on their site. I tried using a wordpress plugin for it but it added an ugly box tot he bottom of my posts with all the structured data. Seems like I'll have to do the markup myself if I just want the content that is already on my page to be displayed next to my search result.

edit:

Looks like google authorship is what I want. Sort of confusing to set it all up but I think I was successful.

grenada fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 12, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I am new to this but maybe you could also have images, YouTube videos AND quality content.

What is your plan for building back links? I can't seem to figure out a good place to start.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

FCKGW posted:

In other news I flipped a $60 domain I bought from GoDaddy's domain expiration auction in October into a $800 sale on Flippa last month. Put on a wordpress blog with mostly pictures, no back link work and it ended up getting around 100-200 uniques/day.

Buying expiring domains can be great because they're generally bought from the registrar before they drop so they preserve their age. The one I bought was regged in 2011 which I think helped a lot.

Great tip! What do you look for when buying an expiring domain?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
So my primary blog is off to a nice start but since its a recipe blog I can only really do one post a week since it usually is an all day event to make one post.

I can have up to 5 addon domains with my lithium plan so I bought a few more domains to experiment with.

I recently bought an expired domain with a healthy amount of backlinks and want to know if ripping content off reddit is a viable method for building initial blog content. For example, will google penalize me for having duplicate content from reddit? I plan to ask the authors for permission and offer a permalink to their sites but was wondering if there were any reasons not to do this.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

FCKGW posted:

Doing a straight up repost of word-for-word content will get you penalized pretty quickly. Also, if you think about it, you will never rank higher than reddit for whatever keywords you're looking for so even if they didn't penalize you then the original reddit post would always come above yours in search rankings so what's the point.

Now if you were to expand on the original post, add an intro and conclusion, don't copy the entire thing just select quotes or passages and maybe dress up the article with some pictures and include a source credit I think you would be fine.

Great thanks for the advice! I felt kinda lame just copy and pasting content but now I have a clear idea of the direction I want the blog to take.

I bought the domain creepylittlestories.com btw. I'll focus on having my blog more about reviewing and critiquing horror stories. I'll just quote the opening paragraph of the story and then link to the content at reddit or wherever else I find stories. Then I'll follow up with a critique of the horror story. Could be a good opportunity to work on my own writing as well.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I definitely like the first one better. The tomato picture itself is great but it looks really cluttered as a header.

Just made a squidoo page in like 30 min. Hopefully it will give some link power to this post I have that is currently sitting 4th on the front page of google for a low traffic keyword.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea I felt the same way, but I bit the bullet and got a new one and I'm super happy with it. Remember, once you own a theme you can load it on as many sites as you want. Any most hosts offer addon domains. So all you really need to do is buy a few more domain names to have a couple of blogs to play around with.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
What program should I use to make infographics. Would it be best to get photoshop or are there good programs specifically designed for infographics? How should I incorporate them into my blog? Use them for facebook/pinterest promotion?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

dhrusis posted:

e: sorry, you said infographics... those are typically much more advanced than simple words-as-an-image. Photoshop probably is one of the better tools, but I bet there are some resources who have like.. graphics/snippets/ways to represent data that you could grab and re-use.

Yea I found some simple infographic programs using Google, just wanted to know what was best. As far as blog pictures go I used vsco for my android tablet and it gave me decent pictures. Recently got a canon s110 which takes pictures in RAW so I might end up getting photoshop anyway. The problem is that I'm currently in the Peace Corps so my house, plates, stove, utensils etc are all lovely so it's hard to make pretty pictures.

I have a health/recipe blog centered on fruit. It's fruitfanatic.com if you want to check it out. Only getting about ~10 vistors a day after about two months. Need to start adding a little more variety since making a recipe post takes so much time. Let me know if you want to swap backlinks.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

dhrusis posted:

We are down to backlink for sure. Anything to get the readership up! In the past 30 days we've had 3500 visits, 5000 page views according to Google Analytics. Thats with running a giveaway last week. We'll be running giveaways for the next month and a half..

I really like how you set up your blog, will definitely use your layout as a model. What is best practice for backlinking? Do I just slip a link into one of my posts that relates to what your site is about?

How did you set up your articles pages? Did you use a plugin or is it a feature of your theme? edit: nvm figured out how to do it.

grenada fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 11, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I'm in the same boat, but I think it just takes time unless you're actively promoting and back linking every day. 2.5 months in and getting a consistent average of ~10 visitors a day on my main site. An interesting thing about my blog is that two-thirds of the traffic is international due to my blog being about tropical fruit. Once I return to the states I will start blogging about local American fruit.

Started a second blog yesterday. Made a bid on it at an expiring domains auction on godaddy. $155 was definitely more than it was worth, so I learned a tough lesson about only making bids if you really want the item. Will keep on slapping some content up there. The keyword I'm aiming for has about 1,100 visits/month and not much competition so hopefully I can get it to rank decently.

Also made a website, https://www.campglowgrenada.com for a peace corps project some other volunteers are working on.

So overall I've sunk a decent amount of money into this. Would have been pretty cheap if I hadn't made stupid impulse buys on things like facebook and stumbleupon advertising. Luckily I can spare the money and it has been a great learning experience. A really great way to pass the time, and any money I make in the future will be a bonus.

grenada fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 15, 2015

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Not sure what your fruit blog is, but for the tropical stuff you might want to do articles on growing tropical fruit in the US. I say this because I'm growing some pink banana trees and there are tricks to get the seeds to sprout that aren't on the instructions, but people in communities that grow bananas and other fruit trees know them. Heck bananas and oranges both have diseases threatening to wipe out entire crops, and the orange debate has moved into GMO territory in an effort to find resistant types.

Great idea! Will look into that.

The best way to get your seedlings to germinate is to wrap them in a wet paper towel and put them inside a ziploc. Put the ziploc near a window. Then replant. You can also try seedling kits which are pretty cheap from home depot or wherever. Check out tropicalfruitforum.com for more in depth discussion on how to get your poo poo to grow. Also might be able to get people to send you actual saplings.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Is it worth it to block certain categories or ads on AdSense to increase earnings? My last few clicks have been only around 20 cents. Would it be better to try to only display the highest paying ads that AdSense can offer for my site or should I trust that AdSense is putting the best ad up?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I don't think google shows their keywords in analytics anymore. No idea where the random keywords come from, could be from other search engines. In any case you can see keyword search volume in google webmaster tools.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
It is a lot of fun, but the amount of money you make depends on how much effort you put in. A programming language blog seems like a great idea, try to find a niche that other blogs aren't filling. Like reviewing code, step by step tutorials, book reviews, job search tips for programmers, whatever you guys do. Having a narrow scope can get kinda boring but you will reap the rewards much more quickly.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Use google keywords to look at the search volume for the various keywords associated with the niches you're thinking about. I think focusing on a very specific niche with a decent search volume will get you faster results. I've been kind of all over the place within my niche and it has definitely hampered my growth, but I'm also having lots of fun with it. You just have to find a balance that works for you.

Overall, if your goal is to make money, I would focus the first 6 months on churning out very specific niche content based on your keyword research. Start branching out when you start getting a sense of what else your readers are looking for.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Ron Don Volante posted:

Just finished up my first month on AdSense with about $50 in earnings, on a RPM of $5.60. Not bad, considering I was making no money before!

Congrats! What kind of traffic are you getting and where are you placing your ads?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
What is the best way to get followers on twitter?

Also, how would I place adsense ads inside articles?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
oops seems like I got my website shadowbanned from reddit for submitting too many articles to the same subreddit. Sucks to lose the high traffic source but it will force me to build up more lucrative sources like twitter and pinterest.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I submitted 4 articles over two weeks. The last 2 or 3 articles were within a few days of on another. I also submitted them from the same account and I rarely post on reddit so I might have gotten dinged for their 10-1 content - blog post rule.

Will try to see if I can message a mod in a few months and get unbanned. I hardly get any clicks, but the sheer amount of traffic means I make a few dollars per post from views on the ads. Those pennies ad up quickly when you're getting a couple thousand views per article submitted.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Is it permanent? Could I just submit it as a text submission with the link in there to get around it? I wasn't necessarily spamming my site, I just never post on reddit so I must have triggered their spambot since 4 of my last 7 posts in 2-3 weeks were links from the same site.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

mcsuede posted:

This video is great because it scared people off FB PPC and the CPC there remains a complete steal. The truth is the guy's methodology was nonsense and there's a ton of money to be made on FB ads if you know how to target.

Are you promoting your blog through FB ads or do you have a service/product you are advertising through CPC?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Very interested, this thread really slowed down. Would be great if we could get some discussion going again! I check out flippa from time to time but I can't justify putting such a large amount into an existing website considering I'm still deep in the red with my previous random blog associated purchases.

I bought an expired domain for $155 off godaddy 4-5 months ago. Ignored it for 2 months and recently have been putting a lot of work into it. Averaging $20 a month by submitting articles to relevant subreddits. My CTR is about 1% but my CPC is averaging .25C. I have some good content up so now I am focusing on SEO so that I can increase my CPC and get some juicy organic traffic. Also started a mailing list last week and already have 9 signups without offering any incentive!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
You should be able to dig yourself out of the hole within a year at max with the income you're making from your new site. Really interested to see how quickly you can boost the earnings. Also, 400 articles is a lot even if they are lovely. Don't those usually go for $5 a pop on fiverr? So you got $2,000 worth of content that is already earning a small profit. Improving the quality of the articles will increase the value of the site by a lot for Google and when it comes time to flip it.

Yea reddit is a good foundation to build on and I'm lucky that my blog fits into two large subreddits that don't mind the occasional blog link or self promotion. The downside is that the bounce rate is ridiculously high (85-90%) and I'd like more consistent traffic. Right now I'm focusing on building twitter/facebook/pinterest traffic as well as improving my SEO. There was a good link posted earlier in this thread about focusing 80% of your time on intelligent promotion and only 20% on content building. My end goal is to self publish a novel on Amazon and use my blog and mailing list to promote it.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
At what point should I start sending emails/content to my email list? I only have 10 subscribers so I'm not sure it's worth the effort yet. Should I wait until it gets a little bigger?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

sim posted:

If anyone is interested in buying a "turnkey" website, I've listed my Fiat 500 Abarth blog on Flippa. Reserve is $216, buy it now for $500.

Looks like your reserve was met, with 15 days left to go. Nice job!!

teeris posted:

Just read through this thread and made a black friday deals site. Looking to hopefully make some money/learn about wordpress blogging and online marketing in general. Thinking of content to put up for a deals site in the first half of October so I've just been browsing the web seeing whats out there right now. If anyone has any tips fire away. It's https://findblackfridaydeals.com

I think the theme is actually pretty good, but you need to have some consistency with your posts featured on front page. They should all have properly sized images as well as titles. Right now it looks pretty disorganized. Some posts have small images which causes the text to wrap weirdly. Other posts have no images, other posts of no images or titles. Looks pretty sloppy. You really only want your best posts with nice glossy photos and catchy titles to show up on your front page. Also, the airline tickets deal seems a little out of place on a black friday deals site. I'm sure most people are looking for consumer tech type stuff. Finally, those two white bars above Recent Posts, does something go there? Looks a little out of place.

Good start!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Amazon has their own, the aStore.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Saw a big spike in organic traffic this weekend. Did some sleuthing and I'm now ranked 15 on a keyword getting 18,000 searches a month. It will be near impossible to get into the 5 top spots which are held by 2 large subreddits and a couple other sites that do what I do but much bigger. But spots 6-14 are lovely top 10 type lists (4 of the spots are held by cracked.com articles). Hopefully I can make it onto the front page in another month or two. Pretty happy with my progress over the past 4 months.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
http://searchengineland.com/google-targets-sites-using-private-blog-networks-manual-action-ranking-penalties-204000

Seems like some of the big dogs in SEO got dinged for using private blog networks with scammy content to boost up their important sites. Not sure if that would affect you or not.

edit: a good, in depth article on the topic http://www.viperchill.com/private-link-network/

grenada fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Glad to have you back. Enjoyed reading your posts from earlier in the thread. So you're relaunching your old blog under a new domain? Mind sharing a URL?

• Locked thread