Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
As long as you treat it like a legit business, yes. If you don't make much money at it though the IRS is likely to call it a hobby and disregard those deductions. There's literally nothing to do to start be a sole prop you just start doing poo poo and file a schedule C at tax time. File quarterly once you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Bodhi Tea posted:

Just quoting in case anyone missed this, but his site has a TON of a really good info for anyone wanting to get started with blogging/affiliate marketing.

A good resource though I disagree that metatags should be used at all, there's growing evidence that the two major engines are using them as spam indicators in some situations. Growing opinion is that they should just be ignored and are a waste of time, possibly even harmful. Plugin guide is also somewhat out of date.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Friend of mine builds sites for a living w/a major web market firm. When I asked him about metatags being useful or not for SEO, he linked me to

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/

and told me yes, still very useful.

Interesting, though I don't do any FB marketing. Good to know for blog clients though. I'm going to keep ignoring them on my sites for aforementioned reason.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Pro tip: you actually want High Competition in the Google Adwords Keyword Tool for most niches as that tells you there's profit to be had. Ideally you find a cluster of keywords with high competition but without any one site dominating the niche or top sites which are badly optimized / lack quality backlinks and can be knocked off their pedestal.

As to your second question, legit people use creative commons commercial allowed images and attribute or they buy them from places like istockphoto. However most niche marketers aren't all that ethical and just steal. Don't do this it's slimy, support photographers.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Bodhi Tea posted:

Yeah, link wheels are an old technique that I think most would advise against since Google is wise to the simple varieties.

I think what still works is a bunch web 2.0 properties that are randomly interlinked with a few pointing to your money site.

They still work you just need "shield sites".

You have your money site, you build links to it on 10-20 other sites / posts. Then you blast THOSE sites / posts with cheap backlinks.

Not something I'd recommend for a client contract but for the affiliate niche game it still works bananas. The better you are at having variations in the anchor text the better you'll do as well.

This technique is detailed in smart passive income's niche challenge from last year, which is worth reading if you want to play the niche affiliate or ppc game.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Question for those of you earning full time or good wages from niche / affiliate / adsense: have you incorporated under an llc or are you just functioning as a sole-proprietor? If you have formed an llc (or s-corp or whatever) how easy has it been transferring your assets into that company and have you had any difficulties signing up for affiliate programs under the company name (or "on behalf of")?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
I work as a WordPress consultant and pinterest has been driving a lot of traffic for clients. Benefits mainly my travel blog clients but really anything photo intensive with original content works well.

There have been about 8 million posts about pinterest in the seo community lately but it basically boils down to make it easy for people to pin content and curate as many of your own boards as possible (within reason), making sure to embed links (link to content, don't link just to front page). If you're clever you can also do pinterest syndicates like you'd do a stumbleupon syndicate (collection of people who pin or stumble each other's content on a regular basis to seed numbers).

The other thing to be aware of is pinterest will stick it's own affiliate links into your links if you don't already have an affiliate tag of your own in a link. That's lost opportunity and is their "hidden" profit model.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 26, 2012

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Digg Digg

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
SERPs are all localized now. In order to compete in it you need to learn local seo/geo-targeting. Targeting global is still valid as it has a lot of weight but service results will be skewed strongly towards local companies, especially local companies on G+ and even more so if 5+ G+ reviews.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Keywords are just starting points. Relevancy and authority are the goals.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Depends on what you mean by tag. If you mean metatags...don't bother using them. If you mean tags in wordpress, something like Astronomy News should be a category not a tag. Tags are for cross-referencing not for organizing.

Basically, build sites to be as human use-able as possible, but make sure your navigation points (categories mostly) target relevant keywords effectively. Jamming a bunch of keyword tags into a post isn't going to make much of a difference in search. Linking pages/articles/posts to each other with appropriate anchor text, within the CONTENT of the page/articles/posts is much more effective. This is also why people use "Related Posts" at the bottom of a page or post (as it's good for Users AND Engines).

Users first, search engines second.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 13, 2012

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
As I said, organize Categories for Users, not for Google.

The Keywords section you're talking about in WordPress SEO, are you talking about the meta keywords section or the Focus Keyword section?

Neither are used to feed Google anything -- meta keywords are ignored by Google and Focus Keyword simply tells WordPress SEO's internal SEO metric (via LinkDex) what you're attempting to target with your post/page so that it can check that you're using them in appropriate places (like alt tags). It doesn't get passed through to the browser in any way.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
He's actually referring to Tags in the WordPress taxonomy system.

Shouldn't hurt your SEO not display Tags (most sites don't) as long as Google/Bing have plenty of other ways to crawl your site and find your content. As Tags are anchors they can give a bit of context to engines but it's very minor.

My general rule is Categories for structure, Tags for cross-reference. As long as your structure is crawl-able spiders don't need the Tags. If the Tags aren't useful to your users, don't bother displaying them.

Now, some people do the opposite and that's fine though weird (Tags for structure, Categories for cross-reference), as long as you stick to one or the other.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 28, 2012

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Alfalfa posted:

So from reading the past 2 pages or so, I take it that I shouldn't worry about tagging my blog posts if the main reason I was doing it to begin with was because I thought it would help boost SEO?

If you're talking about WordPress Tags, then yes, don't bother if you aren't using them for some form of user navigation benefit (cross-referencing, generally). In fact, you should check the box "follow, noindex" for Tags in WordPress SEO.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Are you running WordPress SEO and filling out metadescriptions for every post? FB will pull the metadescription...

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Also do what I call echo posting -- post the same tweet a few times, at different times of day. I also set up repeat echoes for evergreen content, as much as a few months apart, more frequently (but at different times of day) for really good evergreen content. Automation is happiness.

I use hootsuite or Buffer to do this, I also use those tools (and a few others) to find the optimum times to Tweet. Twitter is all about timing.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Man-Thing posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm willing to bet the fine folks of this thread will have encountered this particular situation before:

So as part of my nebulous duties working in a small office, I manage my (fairly active) company's forums. These are forums for our service that random customers post in. We have every post manually reviewed by me. Most are insufferably boring (what's it like working at such-and-such company? how much did you make?) and get approved and posted.

Recently, though, we've been getting bizarre spam-posts. Posts where the subject line is the first 128 characters of the post, and the post is nonsense. Things like:
Their name is always a random string, and the IP shifts (or is spoofed), so we can't just IP ban. Our forum doesn't cover the topic of abortion at all, so this is a completely irrelevant topic to be posting about.

Our tech team has been theorizing about this, that they're salting the mis-spellings to be able to google them later and see if their fakeposting is getting through.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? What are your suggestions (either to solve this or to seek help elsewhere)?

If you're on WordPress, install Antispam Bee, grab a Project Honey Pot API Key, enter that key in the Filter tab of Antispam Bee settings.

A combination of Akismet, Antispam Bee, Cookies for Comments and CloudFlare will eliminate a ton of spam on even the heaviest traffic'd sites.

If you're not on WordPress...yeah, I don't know :P. Forums aren't my strong suit.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
SU drives an insane amount of traffic to some of my blog clients. It works really well on image-heavy blogs in the niches that also do well on pinterest. Fashion, food, travel, home decor.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
It's worth noting here that Google has de-emphasized EMDs (exact match domains) and they really aren't something to chase for SEO reasons anymore.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Organic Search Traffic are the numbers that matter and any serious buyer will want to be added to your google analytics to verify anything. Keyword rank means nothing unless the keyword actually moves traffic.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Arsenic Life Form posted:

Here's my blog on using everyday items to remake famous outfits from TV, movies, and the web. It's still in early stages -- just publishing a new post each day and building up the content for now. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

http://carboncostume.com

Really great idea, I hope you're working it into natural comments all over the loving internet. Reddit and cosplay forums, in particular, obviously. I would use automated scraping tools to find targets, then filter them for value using Excel for SEO and make manual comments. Google and Twitter alerts, working the url in anytime it makes sense in absolutely any cosplay conversation.

It's a solid idea and the execution is good, it has potential if you can get the snowball rolling.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
It is kind of cute that you think a massive market segment would be too small. As FCKGW says, it's way too big. It's the kind of segment you can only take on with a large team and a fat bankroll. A more appropriate segment would be something like "Feminist Literature in the Edwardian Era".*

*Obviously I'm just picking a random thing here, do the market research...

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Be careful, automation is an easy way to get panda slapped.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Scotsman posted:

Yes I would stay away from blog automation, serving content from other websites etc etc.

Really - you WANT a site that requires a lot of updating. That is - if you want to make money. You want a site where you can sit down and come up with 100 content ideas without even doing keyword research at all.

For all you guys starting out - content rich sites, both in terms of quality and quantity, are the way to go. Most of my sites are content rich, and I launch them with about 30 articles to start with, then add a minimum of one per day.

My latest site(that I'm working on with my brother in law who is new to this so we're keeping everything super basic) is http://www.betnhl.ca - launched about 3 days prior to the NHL season starting this year. We had 20 articles upon launch, then add one article per day just for the tips of the day, then in addition to that we add more articles - usually 3-5 per week.

If you can't spare an hour a day to write for your website or work on it, or if you can't take a few hours downtime on the weekend to work on your website and its content for the next week - you really should just forget about making money online with websites.

And I mean I do this full time - but my brother in law runs his own pizza business and is crazy busy during the day etc with the business and his family. But he's always finding ways to write - be it on his iPhone during breaks or slow time, then during his off days he'll sit down and write etc. If you're really driven to make money from these sites you'll find the time.

Why Headspace SEO over WordPress SEO? The later is much better, imo. Also why the non-pretty URLs?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Are you using a post calendar? I'd highly, highly recommend you have scheduled posts in place before you go anywhere. You might miss some immediate news but the site won't be stagnant and most people won't really notice.

Along the same idea, you should be using something like Buffer to spread out and time your twitter posts, to achieve similar goals (and to "time" your audience, to hit your peak audiences instead of just posting whenever you're around and maybe missing peak audience).

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Scotsman posted:

I use different seo plugins on different sites. I'm not sold by any yet as a "must-use"

Non-pretty urls?

website.com/category-name/this-is-a-post

instead of

website.com/untypablejibberishnonsense13123?=iisrel=?34234morewords.php

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Scotsman posted:

I know what pretty/non-pretty URLs are. I mean where are you seeing those on the site?

http://www.betnhl.ca/tonights-tips/february-26th-2013-nhl-betting-tips.php

Now, that's not terrible, but there's no reason to have a file extension in a url anymore.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Scotsman posted:

Nah it's fine. I had issues previously with /%category%/%postname%/ in regard to the SERPs and GWT was bringing up errors about seeing the posts as a category base. I added the extension and it sorted everything out. Now that was years ago and obviously isn't an issue these days, but it's a personal preference that doesn't affect anything positively or negatively.

SEO wise it doesn't, but UX wise it does. :shrug:

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

PrivateEyeball posted:

I'd been using a Wordpress.com blog for a while, and I plan to keep using that for my freelance writing portfolio (as small as it's been lately). Yesterday, I started up a general advice/bettering yourself/positive thinking blog, something I've been posting more of on my WordPress site. I'm currently using one of the default WP theme (Twenty eleven, I believe), and I don't really want to spend more money until I know I'm going to stick with that blog. At the same time, I'm considering opening up a second blog for a more niche topic, if I can think of one.

What would you guys think is more important: Spit-balling ideas to see what sticks? Or focusing solely on one and see where it takes me?

Both. One is a website that might be useful if you find audience (advice...but general advice is NOT going to get traction) while the other is personal branding / jobbing. The later won't get traction either but it helps control your personal SERPs if you're out there looking for work. They're completely different animals.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Scotsman posted:

We'll agree to disagree :)

Never! I'm so bored at work...

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
The answer to both is: depends on the niche. Sometimes you want high competition because it indicates a hot audience, sometimes you want low because you really found something that can make profit off just a dozen visits a day. You need to go look at the SERPs and see which spot you can reasonably jump into for different keywords/long tails with X amount of work. Sometimes the SERPs are really weak and you can skip right to the top, despite high competition. Sometimes everything is super locked down by SEOs. Pull the top 7 results (without personalization) and run competitive analysis on each to find soft spots.

URL means less now that EMD doesn't really confer a bonus, so use something that makes sense to you and fits your perception of the site. Either quirky or generic can work, depending on what's better for that audience. If you're doing FOREX, generic is fine. If you're affiliate linking capri pants for cats, quirky is probably a good call.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Well, the first four violate the Google Laws of the Universe, but are still done frequently. #5 is the most innocuous but most annoying to visitors. #4 is a variation on "guest blogging" and is acceptable grey hat, while 1-3 are just straight up link buying which I would highly discourage.

Prices are determined by your traffic, niche, and domain authority. They vary wildly. Aim high, they'll negotiate down. Basically, they're looking to buy a backlink off you to get some of your sweet sweet SEO juice. They don't really care about traffic from the link, just the juice.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 7, 2013

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Thanks for the info, it definitely helps. What is considered high? To put in perspective, website gets roughly 1600 a month and has gone up to 3600 before. The sponsor is sports betting of some sort. It does relate with my content. Are there any guides or websites out there that explain how to price things properly?

As with any negotiation, try to make them name the price first.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Waroen posted:

I originally attempted to create a blog that had a good keyword but just wasn't that interesting to me. I had little success so decided to go ahead and just make a blog to write about random travel/credit card/points/money ideas or thoughts. It's been a hell of a lot easier to write entries and I've done 19 entries in the last 5 weeks and getting 10-25 hits per day right now. Want to see where continued effort goes but at least this is easier to write.

Blog is:
http://www.verskans.com

Add a Read More link to the end of your excerpts on main page, kill the social share buttons after each excerpt (after/beside actual article is fine, I like Digg Digg with asynch turned on). Add a navigation menu up top. Kill the random post and tag cloud widgets, instead use a text widget to make a "Best Of" section with your best converting posts. Or, use nrelate popular posts to do it for you (and their related posts after content while you're at it). Kill the captcha before your comments (install akismet, antispam bee, cookies for comments). Kill the Powered By WordPress and Live Wire in your footer.

It's a single-author blog, so noindex/nofollow your author page if you haven't already, and install caching if you haven't (assuming shared host, I like Hyper Cache).

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Also I like the length of your posts, it's good, but avoid those galleries that take people off-page. Install something like jquery colorbox to avoid that, or better yet avoid galleries entirely and use a social hover plugin. Your call.

Oh, the end of each post should have an Author Bio, which a Gravatar and a blurb with links to your social properties, using this as a way of embedding G+ Authorship (no follow it all though).

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Waroen posted:

Thanks again, made all those changes and more. How does it look now? (http://www.verskans.com)

Read more was a pain, rather than trying to find a plugin to fix it I edited the functions tab adding this:
http://wpmu.org/daily-tip-replace-default-wordpress-excerpt-ellipsis-with-read-more-link/

Looks a lot better. If you want to take advantage of Authorship change your G+ link in your author bio to include rel=author and add your blog to your Contributor To section of your G+ profile. You'll get a lot more conversions if you use an actual headshot instead of a logo for G+, though. Eye line should lead to the search result (so, looking right).

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
A few more because I do audits when I'm slow at work:

a) Brand your titles -- i.e. Room 77 Review for Room Concierge -> Room 77 Review for Room Concierge - Verskans.com

b) Image optimization. First, don't serve scaled images (don't resize images with HTML). WordPress does this when you insert an image into a post. Create custom image thumbnails for the common image sizes you will be displaying in pages and insert those thumbnails instead. I.E. create a thumbnail that's full-width to your post content, etc. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/simple-image-sizes/ Second, use lossless image compression on your images. This can be automated in WordPress using the WP Smush.it plugin, or better yet if you have server root access, the CW Optimizer plugin or smushykid. Doing these two steps will cut your image load down by more than 50% from what you have now.

c) Minification. I see you're running supercache, but supercache doesn't minify, only cache. Install and use Better WP Minify. As I mentioned I prefer Hypercache to Supercache on shared hosts/low-resource hosts but YMMV.

d) Facebook's .js is loading synchronously, make it asynchronous. I think that call is from Digg Digg and turning on asynchronous in Digg Digg is super easy.

e) Take advantage of free CDNs. Sign up for a WordPress.com account, install Jetpack, turn off most of it's features but turn on Photon. Blam, free image CDN. Next, go get a free CloudFlare.com account, install (install the CF plugin for WP as well), blam, free security and caching CDN.

f) Install Use Google Libraries. If it breaks your js, turn it back off (it shouldn't if your theme/plugins are coded properly using enqueue).

g) It probably goes without saying, but if you do any affiliate stuff, make sure to mask and nofollow the links. Banner ads should also be nofollowed if you get into those.

Now go write more content for your editorial post and social calendars ;).

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 15, 2013

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
The only drawback I've run into is if someone hits their security challenge and is actually legit, gets confused, and leaves...but I typically set the challenge threshold to low to prevent that.

Otherwise I see a roughly 50% rate of content being served from CloudFlare cache instead of off the host, which is a massive speed increase. It also does DNS level analytics which is an interesting look hits your site is getting (as you'll see all the robot hits and such that google analytics doesn't report, as it's not actionable/useful/human visitors). On small business websites you aren't going to run into challenge issues much as most of your traffic will be localized (most challenges get thrown because the visitor is from a shady IP block in some tiny country known for spammers).

I did have one client who's site passed some invisible threshold and CloudFlare told us we needed to start paying or leave, but she had a very, very image heavy blog and high traffic.

edit: Oh, certain hosts can have an issue with Cloudflare but if they do, that means the host is terrible and you should get a better host :P.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 15, 2013

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Omits-Bagels posted:

Well, I decided to change my theme on my travel advice site. I haven't gotten all the kinks out yet and I need to change a few things but I am pretty happy with the change overall. I'm finally going to write some more content as I haven't touched the site in a long time. Let me know what you all think or if there is anything I should change.
http://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

Really impressive start. Since '07 my main sideline has been consulting with travel bloggers and you're already ahead of the curve. It's Friday at 4:30 so it's crunch time before the weekend but I'll give you some more detailed feedback next chance I get.

edit: Ran a quick audit, read my advice on Page 17 to Verskans about image optimization. Your images are about 90% heavier than they could be if lossless compressed. More detailed feedback later, might not be until Monday.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
smush.it breaks all the time because Yahoo is terrible (MARISSA PLZFIXKTHX). CW Image Optimizer or Smushykid are better solutions but require root (or convincing the server admin to install littleutils / smushykid).

Mailing lists are essential. The strength of your list is basically the strength of you earnings potential, very few people online get anywhere without really solid email marketing.

• Locked thread