Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
All of my sites on the dog site are from Foter. I was shocked by the amount of pictures they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So I have been reading more and more about SEO and I am trying to get a grasp of it.

Basically

(lots of small web 2.0 profiles and posts)
|
|
|---->(main web 2.0)
..........|
..........|
..........|--->(money site)

Sorry for the horrible "diagram." I am on my iPad and it's all that I currently have. But the idea would be 20 or 30 little 2.0 profiles linking to one 2.0 profile, which links to my site. Repeated over and over. Is this a good start to SEO? That along with a lot of original articles in article directories.

Edit: I guess I am back linking my back links?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

RTB posted:

That's the gist of it. There's a lot of ways to do it. Search for "link wheel" on google images and you'll get tons of examples of how others are setting them up.

Mind = Blown

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Bodhi Tea posted:

I was meaning to post that site, it's a great resource:
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/how-to-build-a-niche-site/

and the backlinking post specifically:
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/the-backlinking-strategy-that-works/

This should be in the OP

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Just download all of the files and install them on a new blog. That will answer your question.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Rerun posted:

So I started a blog about a week ago about a certain set of fitness products. I put a store section on my blog with a bunch of links to amazon with my affiliate link.

Every day I write an article reviewing a product or I write an article about the genre of fitness that I'm targeting. After I publish the article I upload it to 3 article sites with a couple links to my website. I made a facebook page and twitter account and put up links to the new article. Is this a good strategy for creating back links and making a successful blog? I see mass article submitters and things but they are crazy expensive.

I think you want the articles that you submit to be original content and not copies of what you write on your site. Then link to your site and submit to those.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

Can I get some advice on a simple question. I've been asked to write a weekly article on a mobile phone blog that's part of a webpage that sells second hand mobile phones. Every week I'll wrote an article of my choosing relevant to mobiles and I'll also be asked to write reviews for phones when requested.

They are asking how much I'd expect to be paid for my services. I've not got a clue what to say. I don't want to prove myself out nor do I want to be ripped off.

What would be a good price to offer?

Scotsman is right. I just paid a guy $20 for 10 500 word articles that I'm going to spin and turn into a million different articles. They're not very well written but they're keyword dense and perfect for article directories. If I wanted well-written articles, I'd be paying much more and I'd be happy to pay it.

Edit: Has anyone had any luck with Fiverr? I just posted a couple of gigs that are SEO related. I got one gig last night. To spin 4 articles for $5. It took me about 45 minutes which isn't that great, but hey, it's extra cash I guess.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Scotsman posted:

I'd stay away from all the SEO stuff on Fiverr. I generally use it to get 400+ Twitter Followers/Facebook Likes etc. Not that them by themselves mean anything, but people are just more likely to "Like" a facebook page with 1500 followers compared to 12 etc.

There's a lot of gold on there, like the videos and all that that you can get done. I got this done on Fiverr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl6mwK7f5K4

I'm talking about selling not buying

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I was excited to see that I got a PR of 2 when Google updated their page rank. That's pretty cool. :-)

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I started a blog about super bowl commercials in hopes that by this time next year I'll have it ranked.

It's funny the site that makes me the most money is one about the recorder. Yes, the woodwind from 4th grade. :D

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I have a site about super bowl commercials too, I'm looking forward to taking you down punk (good luck)

Aw man :( Haha. Is yours ranking right now? Also is it an auto-blog or are you just posting original content? I haven't had much luck with any type of auto-blogging software, so I'm just writing my own content.

Edit: I took to article writing on Fiverr and I've already made $268. I'm just going to use this money to invest in SEO programs like Scrapebox and the like. I wish SENuke wasn't so expensive. :-(

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

https://www.superbowlads.org

It's an autoblog. All it does is scrape youtube for specific keywords and posts the video and comments on the site. I set it up the day before the 2010 Superbowl and haven't touched it since. It's pretty rough and it ranks for some real specific keywords, but it's not on the first page for "super bowl commercials" or anything.

I'm sure if I had any original content on there I could do better but I just haven't put any work into it in the last 2 years. Right now it just makes me a quick hundred or two during the super bowl and week after then lays dormant the rest of the year.

What kinda traffic do you get around the super bowl?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Has anyone successfully held a first position rank? (Or a really high rank)

I was ranked number three for a keyword with 10k+ searches per month and I was getting about 120 visitors a day just from Google alone. I checked earlier today and it was ranked on the 4th page. I just got home from work and now it is on the 3rd page. I'm gonna give it a day or so and see what it does. But how on earth do you successfully rank something in a noncompetitive niche? Jeeze it's not easy.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Crunchtime posted:

Finally starting to get somewhere with my blog. I think I have the base idea of it and I have a few posts in the queue scheduled for tomorrow.

My graphics guy is gonna get a logo/banner/favicon for me this week.

Does anyone have any constructive criticism? This is my first time really messing with wordpress or blogging in general.

http://www.gameswecrave.net

I'd get rid of the admin stuff at the bottom and fill that with something that will help you in Google, personally. Anything helps.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I've sort of turned this blog thing into a full time hobby. I try to make 1 microniche site a week and one blog that I will actually write solid updates for per month. I've also started doing offline hustling in terms of reputation management all because I read this thread. I'm so glad that I read this!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Crunchtime posted:

this sounds intriguing to me. I'm still on my first site and I'm trying to use it to learn more about WP and webhosting, etc in general. Also forcing myself to provide 5 or 6 updates per day is a hard thing to get used to.

I'm only getting like 50 uniques on a good day. But it is only maybe 2-3 weeks old. so I don't really know how to gauge my progress. any tips?

Keep updating and wait. The site that makes me the most money (only $20/month) gets only 100 visitors per day. The way I look at it is if I have 50 sites just like that, then we're getting somewhere.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Crunchtime posted:

20 bucks a month for 100 visitors? do you have a link? I'm intrigued!

100 per day. The keyword I targeted gets 10,000 searches per month and I rank number 3.

I'd rather not give the link because I don't want some jerk to compete with me.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Zapf Dingbat posted:

No, I mean I have 13 total over 3 weeks. Today I'm going to take a look at my keyword use and see if I can improve anything.

What the heck? Go write a few articles and submit them to ezine, hub pages, and the like. Also do some link building or guest blogs! With minimal work, you could get 40 people a day. That takes almost no maintenance.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Yeah, I did the article thing, spent about 4 hours on it this week. When do you usually see some results from that?

I'll work on other link building techniques.

To be honest, I don't use the articles to drive much traffic, but more to boost my search engine rankings for my targeted keyword. What is your keyword, if you're comfortable posting it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Crunchtime posted:

I'd like you to look at mine too, if you feel like it!

I'm sort of wishy washy too. I use "esports" with the site gameswecrave.net

Word Count Density
2012 11 3.10%
march 11 3.10%
place 10 2.82%
game 8 2.25%
team 8 2.25%
teams 6 1.69%
series 5 1.41%
star 5 1.41%
games 5 1.41%
play 5 1.41%
final 5 1.41%
esports 3 0.85%
uses 3 0.85%
8220 3 0.85%
8221 3 0.85%
league 3 0.85%
ross 3 0.85%
8217 3 0.85%
title 2 0.56%
participating 2 0.56%
best 2 0.56%
power 2 0.56%
dota 2 0.56%
season 2 0.56%
note 2 0.56%
prize 2 0.56%
mike 2 0.56%
finals 2 0.56%
offline 2 0.56%
gootecks 2 0.56%
online 2 0.56%
quantic 2 0.56%
tekken 2 0.56%
australian 2 0.56%
finally 2 0.56%
counter 2 0.56%
professional 2 0.56%
moonglade 2 0.56%
crave 2 0.56%
episode 2 0.56%
mousesports 2 0.56%
claim 2 0.56%
head 2 0.56%
gamer 2 0.56%
call 2 0.56%
fighter 2 0.56%
street 2 0.56%
fnatic 2 0.56%
asia 2 0.56%
sltv 2 0.56%

Use the phrase way more in order to even think about being considered for that keyword. I don't know anything about this stuff, really, but you're not adding the keyword nearly enough.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Crunchtime posted:

I have not. This is my first attempt at any of this stuff, so I've spent the majority of the time getting the site the way I wanted and consistent updates. I'll start actually providing more content as well as featuring "esports" a lot more.

Thanks for advice though, it really is much appreciated.
Try and get 500 word articles in there now and again. Hit about 3% for the keyword that you're targeting. That way when you actually do link building, the ranking will stick.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
As I previously mentioned, I started doing a bit of off line marketing that sort of spawned directly from this thread. I have two meetings set up for Tuesday afternoon that could potentially net me $1,600! All of the knowledge in this thread will have hopefully paid off!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Moniker, how is your Smart Dogs website doing? I'm thinking of relaunched a couple of my niche sites and your default layout and ad placement is what I'm thinking of running on all of them.

To be honest I've been slacking on it due to starting the offline marketing business. However, when I had good SERP ranking it seemed to generate pretty good clicks. I need to get that ranking again now that I think about it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Sancho posted:

Wordpress is incredibly customizable. There is nothing you can't do re: SEO with Wordpress. It can be annoying to implement some modifications of the core files with filters, but anything else is cake.

Vim 4 life btw!

I used Wordpress for my offline marketing site and you would never tell that it's a Wordpress backend in a million years.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Onta vasa posted:

I want to start a blog that encompasses all of my interests and activities. Would it be smarter to have 4 or 5 small blogs or 1 multi-niche' "my life" style blog that would have more interesting content then the individual single niche' blogs?

I would also like to incorporate a marketplace on the site for my glass creations, which would relate to one of my main blog topics.

Input and advice appreciated.

Definitely different niches IMO.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Agent 99 posted:

If any SA food bloggers are interested in trading blog roll links let me know. I'm getting about 1000 views a month but it's growing. I have PM's.

Is this your food blog? If so I have a kitchen appliance blog that would be considered related by Google, I'm sure. I'll trade. If you're interested, PM me your anchor text.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Zero Gravitas posted:

Can I get some advice?

Im planning to get one site off the ground fairly soon, a blog about news from some linked high tech industries, but the close keyword match domains are all taken. If Ive got genuinely insightful posts and try to make up for the lack of domain name by some hard SEO using meta tags, article names and keyword dropping in posts will I be able to claw some of that disadvantage back?

If it goes south with regards to revenue then I've chosen the subject as something that will pay to have industry knowledge about after I finish my degree.

The domain name really kills with SEO, but if you optimize on page, headers, meta, H1, and make sure you have a site map, submit your RSS, etc. Essentially everything else SEO to the best of your abilities, then you'll be fine. I would, however, target your domain name to SOME keyword in your general field. I'd use the Google keyword tool in order to find one with high search results and low competition; this will help you naturally rank higher in that keyword so you will not have to work very hard to get traffic from that keyword alone.

I have a blog about a musical instrument and found a keyword that gets about 9k/month searches and I got an exact domain match and with little to no effort, I've been ranking 3-5 for months. I pull in like $25/month for doing literally nothing with this site. So to sum up, I'd find an exact keyword domain for something rather than nothing, and work on your on page SEO to target that. The rest of the natural keywords will come.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Zero Gravitas posted:

So basically if my preferred keyword is XY but I cant get it I should try for a website like Xinsight.com or XIndustryY.com ?

Also is there any good source of free images? I dont want to use a photo of something and then have somebody come along claiming to be the author and slapping me with a demand for cash that I dont really have.

foter.com in the OP is a good site.

Basically for domain names it's all about targeting something. I mean some of the most popular sites have domain names that have nothing to do with their industry, but if you're blogging to make money, I suggest finding something that matches directly. All of my direct matching domains draw more traffic.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I have my blog, https://www.mrtrifecta.com which gets a few thousand visitors a month, about 1/4 of those are unique. I'd like to drive more to my blog. Anyone mind taking a look and giving any recommendations? Using two WP SEO's, the all in one and the platinum SEO.

Been trying to back link on other websites as well. Content is updated daily. Ideas?

I'd lessen your tag cloud to a few specific keywords so it will up the keyword density per page. Also add more text. For example:

quote:

Pompano Park Results 4/30/12

The wet weather really made the entire card unpredictable which caused for alot of confusion and alot of horses who normally wouldn’t win, win this evening. We did hit one nice winner and one nice exacta, but that was about it. It certainly helped our ROI.

If you are targeting the title keyword then use it in the actual blog post.

quote:

Pompano Park Results 4/30/12
The wet weather really made the Pompano Park Results 4/30/12 an entire card of unpredictability! That weather caused a lot of confusion and a lot of horses who normally wouldn't win to win Pompano Park. Results 4/30/12 did prove that we did hit one nice winner and one nice exacta...

See how I got the title in a few more times? I'd make sure to stretch those words out a lot. Try and write a couple of hundred words per update and it will help in draw traffic from Google for sure. Also target your keywords consistently.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Now when I update, I generally do two a day. First one generally has a few hundred to a thousand words and the second is purely results. When I use WP SEO, I generally only toss in say my first paragraph as I was under the assumption you can only put in roughly 160 chars, is that correct?

I am not sure. I don't use WP SEO.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Man-Thing posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but somebody help me. With the keyword search tool in the OP, it talks about finding words with 1000+ searches and $1+ CPC... but I can't seem to find where the CPC is when I do a search for like, Video Games, I get the various related searches and can see and sort the unique clicks and local whatsits, but I cannot see anywhere where it lists the Costs per Click.

Can someone screengrab what I want to find? Here's what I'm staring at now: (click for big)

They changed the default search to "Ad Group." See where it says "Search?" Click "Keyword Ideas" right below it then you'll see it. I don't know why they changed it to that setting but they did.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Man-Thing posted:

I'm not actually searching for final fantasy (that was a placeholder) but good to know that that's how search terms work.

EDIT for content/question: What's the upper bound of the number of local searches you're looking for in a target?

The site that makes me the most has 9900/month and low competition and depending on how much SEO I do, I rank 1-5.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Man-Thing posted:

OK, I've mostly got everything good to go, all plugins installed and analytics going. I've even got an older blog of mine to pillage some content from (since deactivated and saved locally) to fill up the topic.

Amazingly, the twitter, tumblr, FB and G+ page names were all available, so I've got cross-promotion up the wazoo.

The only thing I'm not 100% on the tech of, is installing AdSense code in my site. Since it's a WP site, where is the code going? Is there a spot on the WP admin panel to edit raw HTML? (I can follow instructions on actually adding/editing, but actually knowing my way around WP is another story)

There are plugins you can install just to paste the code, but you can just go to Appearance -> Editor -> then look for Header.php.

Search for this code:

code:
<head>
<meta charset="<?php bloginfo( 'charset' ); ?>" />
<title><?php woo_title(); ?></title>
<?php woo_meta(); ?>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php bloginfo( 'stylesheet_url' ); ?>" media="screen" />
<link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo( 'pingback_url' ); ?>" />

<?php wp_head(); ?>
<?php woo_head(); ?>

</head>
and put it right before </head>.

Edit: You meant Adsense, not Analytics. Sorry.

For Adsense just put the code in to a widget and place it in the proper area.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Fluue posted:

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so let me know if I'm wrong.

I run a fairly successful pokemon tool online ( http://wyncorporation.com/pokemon ). It's pretty simple (only 2 pages) and I've been having trouble monetizing it. I am the first listed for "random pokemon generator" and top 3 for "pokemon generator." I have some amazon ads and a play-asia affiliate ad on the results page, but I honestly haven't made that much money for the traffic I'm pulling in. I get about 25k uniques per month, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions for what to do ad-wise?

Google Adsense.

Or you could look into a content locker. Where people have to complete some sort of enrollment before gaining access to your content. Like sign up for a trial of some service. But that would deter people away in a lot of cases although they do work in some forms.

I'd throw a text only type of ad at the very top. So it would look like
code:
link      link     link     link    link
and people may click them.

Then maybe another below the form and above the generate button?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
$100 Adsense coupon up for grabs. PM me. My only stipulation is that you keep track of your stats and share if it converted or not once it's all done.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So I've been reading about website silo'ing and had something of an epiphany.

My URL structure sucks.

Like, it's clearly defined into index.com/category/post-name, but that doesn't tell search engines anything.

Looking at my competitors, I see that they all have my target keywords included in the URL structure

Say I'm going for "best commodore 64 games" (I'm not, but it's a good example)

My URL structure would be something like "commodore64.com/mystery/dick-tracy" while I'm competing against URLs with "commodoreheaven.com/best-commodore-mystery-games/dick-tracy" and losing, hard.

The thing is, how is this not keyword stuffing? Because if it's not, my link structure is about to significantly change.

Change it for sure. Keyword stuffing, afaik is adding them into an article far more than needed. There's no reason not to have your keywords in the URL of your pages.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Anyone have any experience setting up a forum through wordpress? Any recommendations on plugins?

I'm no expert but I would assume that the best thing to do would be to install a forum and find some sort of plugin that wold use the username/password fields from WP to register for the forum. Or to use the forum database to allow users to "sign in" to your blog. I don't think there is anything that allows you to install a forum from a plugin?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Just look up code for robots.txt to stop crawling and basically no one will visit your site because they will not know how to get there.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
You need way more text. Do a little thumbnail and 100 characters or something. Make sure the post titles are on the page and stuff. You're not gonna get any traffic driven to your home page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I have a .info site that ranks top three in a pretty competitive niche. (other than the OP blog) so take that for what it's worth.

• Locked thread