Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Unless he's paying for advertisement I don't think it should matter much.

KetTarma posted:

After 2 months of getting at least 2k hits per day on one article from Facebook, I've suddenly found that I'm only getting 100 hits per day for no apparent reason. One day 3k hits. The next day 100.

I guess Facebook decided that enough people had seen my article. Is that a thing?

Are you paying for advertising? Are you posting from a third party? Has anything at all changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Nope, nope, and nope. I actually haven't done -anything- with the blog in the past week or two. I mainly have been posting on a different blog trying to get the traffic up.

Monday my 2k-4k average hits on an article dropped to 200 Monday, 200 yesterday, and 100 so far today. My normal ~2k Facebook referrals has dropped to 20-100ish. The article in question is debunking bad science, ironically enough and has had about 125k views to date.

Honestly it's probably something to do with their algorithm. They very well could be trying to get you to purchase more eyeballs so they're nerfing your reach. I guess it's your call what you want to do next but personally I'd wait it out and see if it changes.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

diremonk posted:

This is going to be a strange question, but has anyone setup a site that is designed to attract angry visitors, for example having a site that only has articles that are anti vaping, link to studies/articles about the negatives, and just generally troll the people that are in favor of the topic. I've got an idea for a site, not about vaping, but I'd rather not invest time/energy/money into developing it if there probably won't be any traffic or way of generating revenue.

That's actually an interesting idea. Sort of like the Howard Stern effect. More people who don't like him listen than those who do. I don't think that would work too well with a website though. But maybe it's worth a shot.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

diremonk posted:

Thanks for actually explaining it better than I did, but yeah that is my idea. I've already got unlimited hosting already so the only cost would be my time and the $12 for the domain. If it fails, then I'm not out too much.

I'm not sure if it would work, but in a way it's sort of the idea of "fake news". Make the headlines so sensational that people will share them if they agree or if they disagree. Just don't be an unethical oval office and I'm sure you'll do okay

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Careful Drums posted:

Hey, thread about blogging, I'm looking for some advice about blogging.

My day job is Software Engineering and I had the silly idea to buy the domain LiterateInternet.com. My idea is to start a blog with tutorials and writeups that explain to laypeople how certain aspects of the internet work. I think the world could stand to have better "internet citizens" - people that knew how to keep themselves safe online, how to talk to their kids about using the internet, and gave a poo poo about net neutrality.

Now I can write up and down all day long about these topics but where I'm stuck on is trying to get it in front of someone to get feedback from my writing. There isn't a 'Internet Citizen' subreddit where I can just start sharing posts. AFAIK I'm doing my due dilligence as far as SEO - linking out to relevant topics in posts, using wordpress for its built-in support for technical aspects of SEO. Where can I share my posts to get the search engines to even start indexing my content?

They'll start indexing immediately. Add your site to Webmaster Tools on Google and Bing and they'll start being crawled.

• Locked thread