Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Looking through this thread, it seems Wordpress is overwhelmingly popular. But does anyone use static site generators (like Jekyll, Pelican, or Hugo) for blogging. I recently tried them all and tested hosting a Hugo site on Amazon S3, and it worked really well. You can do comments via Disqus and can do ads and all that. It is also really easy to just do all your posts in Markdown and it is dead simple to back up your site (just back up a directory).

Just wondering if Wordpress still offers enough advantages that it is worth sticking with a dynamic site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Moniker posted:

I host a personal non-money making blog on Jekyll and GitHub pages. I absolutely love Jekyll. Virtually unhackable, you can do pretty much anything with javascript, HTML, and CSS, and if you don't host on GitHub, there are tons of gems you can install to make Jekyll even more powerful

Great to hear it works well for you. I tired to get Jekyll to work and it was a royal pain getting the ruby environment to work, which was a shame because I really wanted to try it.
I finally gave up and tried both pelican and Hugo and both worked really well for me.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Moniker posted:

I assume you're on Windows? If so, Ruby is a pain to get working. Here's an article by Dave Rupert who switched to Windows as an experiment. He had a nightmare of a time and he's a high level guy. http://daverupert.com/2016/04/jekyll-on-windows-with-bash/

Anyway, I'm on a Mac so Ruby is installed by default. I'd suggest poking around Dave's blog to see if you can find anything that helps you because it's really the best CMS IMO. Shame you can't use it!

I actually tried it on Ubuntu 14.04 (knew better than to try on Windows), which has Ruby installed by default, but not version 2 which is what Jekyll 3 needs. Took forever just to get the right version of Ruby to cooperate with the installer, after which I could not get it to install all of the Jekyll dependencies I needed for even basic functionality. At this point, if I try it again, I will use a dedicated VM with the latest Ubuntu release and see if I get on better.

• Locked thread