Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Camo Guitar posted:

I've seen Black Friday pop up a few times on this site, for non US goons (and fellow Aussies) could someone please explain what the day is all about?

Here you go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_%28shopping%29

Basically its a day where a lot of people shop for holiday gifts. Retailers generally have big sales to try and lure customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Moniker posted:

Edit: I guess I am back linking my back links?

That's the gist of it. There's a lot of ways to do it. Search for "link wheel" on google images and you'll get tons of examples of how others are setting them up.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Omits-Bagels posted:

Well, I decided to change my theme on my travel advice site. I haven't gotten all the kinks out yet and I need to change a few things but I am pretty happy with the change overall. I'm finally going to write some more content as I haven't touched the site in a long time. Let me know what you all think or if there is anything I should change.
http://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

I'm a big fan of the site in general. Lots of good info since I'm hoping to spend 6-8 months backpacking in the next year or two.

My thoughts:
1) The image slider on your home page switches images way too fast. I can't even read the captions before it switches to the next image.
2) Do you have a mailing list? I couldn't find a signup form anywhere and I definitely would have opted in if you made one available. Depending on how much that Adsense ad in your sidebar is making you, it might be worth testing a version where that was replaced with an email opt-in form. Mailchimp has a free plan and Aweber is only $20/month.

-RTB

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Omits-Bagels posted:

I don't have a mailing list. What is the benefit of a mailing list and how would it make me money?

mcsuede posted:

Mailing lists are essential. The strength of your list is basically the strength of you earnings potential, very few people online get anywhere without really solid email marketing.

mcsuede summed it up nicely

More specifically:
1 - You can email your list every time a new post comes out. This helps you in two ways. First it brings more people to your site every month. Second, it makes you less vulnerable to the whims of Google. If you lose all of your search rankings tomorrow, you would still be getting traffic from your list.

2 - You can build a long term rapport with people. Show them repeatedly that you can provide them value and they will be more likely to refer their friends and/or buy affiliate offers you recommend. Want to write an e-book some day? Wouldn't it be nice to have a bunch of people who already love your content that you can sell it to?

3 - If you ever decide to sell the site, a double opt-in list (Mailchimp or Aweber) is a valuable asset and increases your sale price.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

SweatyE posted:

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but how often is everyone posting on their blogs? I was working on a post every three days, but after building up a backlog and putting out 3-4 posts in 4 days I've realized it's not a schedule I can maintain long term without content quality suffering.

I'm thinking either posting Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays or just Mondays and Thursdays might be better long term. By spacing out content it means I won't burn out, but hopefully I'll see more comments as each post will be top of the page for longer. I've noticed my traffic drops considerably on weekends so it makes little sense to post then.

I've been trying to follow the advice I found from Derek Halpern - Spend less time writing and more time connecting and promoting.
http://socialtriggers.com/why-bloggers-fail/

I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

How do I grow my Facebook follow-ship? My total monthly unique visitors are about 20x higher than my facebook fan count. Granted most of my traffic comes from referrals but my direct uniques are still completely out of whack with FB. I have slowly and 100% naturally grown my fanbase and I try to keep a steady stream of reposts and outside content flowing through my facebook feed in order to appease my fans but I am still disappointed with the numbers and I want to throw some money at it.

I have no interest in buying fans although, it seems like many of my competitors who have less site traffic are doing just that, unless I'm missing something like a snowball effect @ > 10,000 fans. I am trying to build recurring referral traffic and add credibility to my brand name which is beginning to extend outside of the blog.

Are there any case studies on using their internal advertising system? What other options are there? I have been considering give-aways as an easy way to generate new fans, is there anywhere I can read about a similar strategy?

Where do I start?

Here's a couple articles I found helpful
http://www.seanogle.com/entrepreneurship/facebook
http://www.seanogle.com/entrepreneurship/lifestyle-business-first-step

• Locked thread