Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
So I was looking at this thread here in SA mart about hosting. Is there any reason to buy more than the cheapest, most basic plan if I want to just have a simple blog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Just out of curiosity - how successful does a blog have to be to actually make a significant amount of money? Will X amount of page views a day necessarily translate into an approximate amount of profit if you set up advertising, or does it depend? Picture one of those well known blogs that does well, whether it is politics, humor, etc. Are those blog owners making a living?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

invision posted:

If you run a site that allows for it, don't be scared to contact companies asking to review their products. So far I've done (and received and are mine to to keep) a camera and a book, I have another camera, a set of extrication gloves, and a helmet light coming. Thats close to a grand worth of free stuff, and all I have to do is review them. Plus it opens the companies up allowing you to review more of their stuff, especially when they launch a new product.

Whoa. This is pretty cool. How big of site do you have? Is it dedicated to reviews?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Can someone point me towards - or provide - a very, very basic walkthrough on switching from a wordpress.com free hosted blog, to paying someone for web hosting and using wordpress so I can monetize the blog and have my own domain name?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Two questions, one of which I may have asked here before, so forgive me:

Are free Wordpress themes really that bad? Is this Goon consensus?

What's the best way to get pictures to use for articles? Like let's say I would want to write a blog about a tech topic, like Asus laptops or Apple products - random example. Where would I find pictures I could use? I can't just google them, right? They have to be stock?

Edit: Also, should I start my blog out with monetization, or should I add it later?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

The Swinemaster posted:

For images I use http://photopin.com/. They are CC, so free with attribution. It can take some digging to find good pictures, but they are on there.

Thanks, this is a great site. I just wonder if there is a better, more subtle way of attributing the photo than pasting their whole thing at the bottom of your post.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

What the heck, adsense turned me down and won't tell me why. First I applied when I only had one post and they told me I should wait until I have more content and then reapply. So I put the blog together and had like 9 posts, and the whole sidebar done, etc. And it looks totally fine. It's a tech blog. What gives?!

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 22, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was just listening to a podcast the other day and they were interviewing this guy who apparently had a lot of success as an Amazon affiliate. He said something interesting, which is that he saw almost no sales from widgets. The majority of his sales were from links inside his posts. In other words, he would post a link to a product on amazon that matched what he was talking about. Pretty interesting, although it kind of seems a bit shady. But I guess it's really not. Kind of like when radio hosts do those spoken ads. He said that people seem to trust and be more drawn to something personally written by the author, rather than something that is clearly an ad.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Does any who has a facebook page or twitter account for their blog have any suggestions about how to get a logo, or a picture for using? Is this pretty much something I am going to have to pay up for?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

So I wanted to start a blog about Google, but I don't know what to do about the domain name, because I don't think I should use the word "Google" for legal reasons - but how can I have a blog about a subject without mentioning that subject in the domain name? i saw that the only sucessful blog about this topic is a blogspot blog, so they get around that issue that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I can't get Google to approve my site for AdSense, I'm not sure why. It's a blog with probably 30 or so posts, decent length posts where I usually reference news articles about the blog topic and write about them. I am not sure what to do. Do I need traffic? Does it have to be older than a few months?

I may just give up on it and try to get adsense onto a blogspot blog I have. Is there any way to do this? Right now my AdSense account is associated with the first site, which is not being accepted.

• Locked thread