Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
I'm very interested in starting a blog and I'm sure I will post a whole bunch of questions further down the road but for now I'm just researching SEO.
When using the Google Keyword Tool and viewing the results, what does competition imply? The key words and phrases I'm thinking about using are marked as "Low" and "Medium", this is good I presume, but what does it actually mean? Is it a sign of how difficult it would be to get to the top spot for the search terms you want to target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
Is there anything stopping me from setting up a site with some affiliate links, a store or similiar for an american company like Amazon, even though I live in Sweden? Does it matter where the site is hosted or where I registered the domain?

Is there a suitable guide anywhere for somebody who has never bought a domain, paid for hosting or used wordpress before? How do I set it all up? I'm not completely lost when it comes to computers but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to begin here, but I'm really anxious to get going with my first blog.

I'm eventually looking at starting a second blog, what type of hosting should I look into if I want to maintain two blogs sometime in the not to distant future?

Edit: Added a few questions

beadgc fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 27, 2011

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

Moniker posted:

This is all in the OP, really.

Yeah, maybe I'm overthinking some things. I guess I'll just jump in and roll with the punches.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

Bodhi Tea posted:

Just quoting in case anyone missed this, but his site has a TON of a really good info for anyone wanting to get started with blogging/affiliate marketing.

This should be in the OP, can't believe I missed it :I

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
I'm currently writing stuff for an instructional blog I'm planning on starting and I'm probably gonna use wordpress. I'm really new to this stuff and I was wondering if it was possible to start working on the site, doing design and stuff like that, without it "going live" on the net? I'm in a bit of a rut when it comes to writing material, and I think I need to "define" my blog a bit more and start doing the layout and stuff to get myself motivated to finish it. Probably a stupid question, but there it is!

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

therealjon_ posted:

You can make your blog private, and then switch it to public whenever you feel like it. Or just don't install the SEO or submit to the search engines until you feel its ready.

Thanks man!

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
I've done a first, terrible, draft of what I'd like my blog to look like:

The colors aren't final, I just picked those at random!

First of all, is this a good design, layout-wise, for stuff like SEO and other technicalities? Is it any good overall?

Is there a Wordpress theme that's easy to use and setup to get this look?

Anything else I should keep in mind when building my site?

Edit: adding robots.txt seems to have blocked Google from my site, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

sim posted:

I think that looks alright, design wise. But you're killing your homepage's SEO by not having any post excerpts on the page. Are you planning to have so much content that each "topic" page will serve as a sub-homepage?

Yeah, pretty much. It's supposed to be a resource for beginners/novices at a martial art, and the page is supposed to be like an encyclopedia of different techniques divided into different categories.

• Locked thread