Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
I have a homebrew blog that I write as a hobby.

I recently redesigned it and need to step up and keep writing more.

http://www.onegallonhomebrew.com

I'm trying to monetize it a bit more and I'd like to put a CPM banner on there. That means I get paid a small amount per impression, right? I'm starting to generate some bigger traffic numbers from stumbledupon and a lot from search engines - this has generated some Amazon affiliate monies (although not enough for them to send me a check yet).

Despite not touching the site since September, it has probably gained 50% more unique views every month. I'm hoping that more content and promotion and link building will take it to the next level and make this an legit small source of income that can help fund my hobby, if nothing else.

Anyone want to share links that doesn't already?

vvvv Thanks vvvvv

Disciple of Pain fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Moniker posted:

The problem with link sharing is that (from what I've been told) it doesn't really help unless the sites are closely related in content. I've tried trading links with a few guys on here and no one seemed interested. I can't see how having 12 people with 12 incoming and outgoing links could hurt our SERPs but maybe it would.

The best bet is to offer to guest post on other, more related blogs in exchange for a link plugging your blog at the bottom. Another good idea is write a solid 550 word article and submit it to ezine articles, and a ton of other article databases. A list of them located here After you submit those, work on answering some questions on Yahoo answers. You can't add anchor text, but it's still back links to your site.

I've had my site up for less than a month and I'm finally starting to show up on Google. I am on the third page for my targeted keyword right now and slowly working my way up. It's great. It's a ton of work, but it's paying off.

Unrelated to your post:
Also I am in the process of buying my first dog, so I decided to document it with a website. I targeted a search that doesn't have much competition and ended up buying Top Ten Smartest Dogs.com I think this one is better than the Kitchen Appliance blog because it's actually something that I like writing about and it's almost unlimited content because dogs are hard work!

I would have never guessed that answering questions on Yahoo would be that great of an idea, but I can totally see how it could be beneficial now that I think about it. Those things are always on the front page of google (I just personally avoid them when trying to find info).

• Locked thread