Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
I have a very noob question and I hope this is the right place for it. I've been setting my first blog up all day today (http://www.gameswecrave.net/) -- The site is hosted from my main domain (http://www.deadendcrew.net) -- The problem I'm running into is that anytime I click a link, the path changes in the address bar to reflect the full path of the site.

I know this is simple to fix, but I'm really new at this and could use the tip!

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Bodhi Tea posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but if it's a wordpress site, check the "Site Address" setting under General settings. Change it to the URL you want to show.

I feel like an idiot. thanks a ton.

lwoodio posted:

Did you run the Wordpress installer inside of a folder in your main directory? Did you use Cpanel's create subdomain?

I didn't use the "create subdomain." Will this turn out to bite me later on?

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Finally starting to get somewhere with my blog. I think I have the base idea of it and I have a few posts in the queue scheduled for tomorrow.

My graphics guy is gonna get a logo/banner/favicon for me this week.

Does anyone have any constructive criticism? This is my first time really messing with wordpress or blogging in general.

http://www.gameswecrave.net

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Moniker posted:

I'd get rid of the admin stuff at the bottom and fill that with something that will help you in Google, personally. Anything helps.

yeh i was debating getting rid of that admin panel. anything specific you'd add? Now that I have the blog up and actually going, this week I'm gonna focus on just having regular updates and I plan to re-read this whole thread.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Moniker posted:

I've sort of turned this blog thing into a full time hobby. I try to make 1 microniche site a week and one blog that I will actually write solid updates for per month. I've also started doing offline hustling in terms of reputation management all because I read this thread. I'm so glad that I read this!

this sounds intriguing to me. I'm still on my first site and I'm trying to use it to learn more about WP and webhosting, etc in general. Also forcing myself to provide 5 or 6 updates per day is a hard thing to get used to.

I'm only getting like 50 uniques on a good day. But it is only maybe 2-3 weeks old. so I don't really know how to gauge my progress. any tips?

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Moniker posted:

Keep updating and wait. The site that makes me the most money (only $20/month) gets only 100 visitors per day. The way I look at it is if I have 50 sites just like that, then we're getting somewhere.

20 bucks a month for 100 visitors? do you have a link? I'm intrigued!

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Zapf Dingbat posted:

50? Man, I'm hardly getting any and I've been at it for a while. Been reading all the advice and guides and stuff. Maybe I picked a bad subject.

most days its like 20 so dont feel too bad. like i said, 50 on a good day.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Moniker posted:

To be honest, I don't use the articles to drive much traffic, but more to boost my search engine rankings for my targeted keyword. What is your keyword, if you're comfortable posting it.

I'd like you to look at mine too, if you feel like it!

I'm sort of wishy washy too. I use "esports" with the site gameswecrave.net

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Spelling. The word you're looking for is "cannon" not "canon".

how embarrassing. that was lifted from the youtube description.. fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

The Swinemaster posted:

If you're going for "esports" as a keyword, you're not really using it very often. I only see it twice on the page, and one of those is in a tag cloud, and in the title tag.

Your site seems really light on content. Each post rarely has more than a few lines of text. You have a strong focus on video, which is fine, but it's not backed up with original content. The videos themselves won't rank particularly well on their own accord, since they aren't original.

Are you doing much linkbuilding around "esports"? I did some checking, and I don't see any links at all?

I have not. This is my first attempt at any of this stuff, so I've spent the majority of the time getting the site the way I wanted and consistent updates. I'll start actually providing more content as well as featuring "esports" a lot more.

Thanks for advice though, it really is much appreciated.

• Locked thread