Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance

Lady Gaza posted:

I think the Bree has gone downhill lately, last few times I've been I've found their beer disgusting. Not a fan of the Tap either, it's always rammed and there are better pubs for ale. I'd recommend the Harp near Trafalgar Square. It gets busy too but their selection is amazing.

I haven't done the Bree since ~2009 when it was my local. I guess I've been blessed with nights at the Tap when we found a place to perch outside/downstairs and it wasn't too crazy.

But now living on top of old street tube; I give my beer/gin money to Nightjar, the Fox and Anchor, The Eagle, the Old Fountain and occasionally the Craft Beer Co if I want to spend £4 on a half pint...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Junior G-man posted:

Hey London types, can you help me out?

I'm going to be in London (staying just NW of Kensington Gardens) in the last week of february for 3 days.

I'm looking for two recommendations; one Indian (my mum's favourite) and one British/pub/gastropub.

When I was there I looked around for good gastropubs, and bam, one with a Michelin star out of nowhere. It's called The Harwood Arms, and one of the owners has a rifle license and he shoots the deer that end up on the menu.

It was one of the best meals I've ever had.

First course was snails with garlic and smoked bone marrow, and it was awesome. Entree was a fallow deer chop along with a fallow deer meat pie. Now, I ordered this, and they didn't ask me "How do you want that cooked?" so I was slightly concerned but figured they knew what they were doing, and when it came out, it was *perfect*. Dessert was a quince cake with a mead-and-raisin ice cream.

If you're looking for a gastropup in London, hit this place, it's in Fulham.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
On pubs:
I loved my meal at the Harwood Arms, it's the first (only?) pub in London with a star, and whilst there may be others also worthy of one, I'd say it is deserving of this status.
However, you might have problems getting a booking in February now, unless you're happy with a very early/late sitting.

Back up suggestions would be Anchor and Hope near Waterloo
http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/82726/Anchor_and_Hope
(No reservations except Sundays so just turn up and wait for a table).

Or, I consider the Prince of Wales in Putney a bit of a hidden gem.
http://www.princeofwalesputney.co.uk/
I think their chef worked at the Harwood Arms. Have had 3 great meals there, from a casual lunch of scotch eggs and shared starters, to a dinner with grouse.

On other stuff:
Glad to see some love for Opera Tavern. I love that place, sitting at the bar taking time over a few dishes.

I went to The Ledbury recently and have to concur with many ratings/reviews I've seen. The food is absolutely fantastic. We went all out on the tasting menu, the service was incredibly friendly and welcoming, which might surprise given the location. They gave me an extra dessert for free (quite common I think but still appreciated!), and the wine options are reasonable. A £30 bottle did the job. £270 all in for two for a special meal was worth it in my opinion. The "cheese on toast" with truffle was just divine.
It contrasted hugely with Locanda Locatelli where we had dined a couple of weeks earlier, found the service unfriendly, snooty, and the food nothing memorable.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cool this thread is back!

Been to a few places recently but can't be arsed to recite them so just posting to say i'll be going to Dinner on wednesday for lunch and i am so loving excited.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Recommending Navajo Joe in Covent Garden if you like Southwest American food

http://www.navajojoe.co.uk/

Really nice vibrant atmosphere, impressive interior, good mojitos!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Went to Morito a few weeks ago, they don't take bookings, and was in Farringdon (it's in Exmouth Market). Strongly recommended. The spiced lamb thing was amazing and totally delicious, as was the pork belly type thing. And all pretty goddamn cheap. Also the cheeseboard was £9 and SO MUCH CHEESE.

Bit cramped though, sitting on the bar! Plus my boss walked in halfway through my dinner which was funny (even though our office and both our houses are nowhere near there.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Beasteh posted:

Recommending Navajo Joe in Covent Garden if you like Southwest American food

http://www.navajojoe.co.uk/

Really nice vibrant atmosphere, impressive interior, good mojitos!

Ugh, loving DEATH to restaurant websites built in Flash. And who decided PDFs were to be the standard for displaying menus?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Phanatic posted:

When I was there I looked around for good gastropubs, and bam, one with a Michelin star out of nowhere. It's called The Harwood Arms, and one of the owners has a rifle license and he shoots the deer that end up on the menu.

I ate at his other place, The Pot Kiln, in January. And it was pretty damned good, including the first pork terrine I've ever liked and some excellent braised Hare as well as the venison.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh, loving DEATH to restaurant websites built in Flash. And who decided PDFs were to be the standard for displaying menus?

Yeah, the website is awful but don't let that put you off.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The_Doctor posted:

Slate had a decent article on why restaurant websites generally suck. Summary: The people who run restaurants are just the sort of pathological control freaks who think auto-playing music and Flash are good presentation tools.

Thankfully, it seems like they're starting to wake up to what a bad idea all that is, the awareness just doesn't seem to have spread to Europe yet.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I can't remember which restaurant it was, but I recall when I was trying to pick a place for my graduation dinner, there was one that was recommended to me but every time I tried to use the website to find out menu, prices, location I got so angry that I shut the tab a few moments later!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

powertoiletduck posted:

..and occasionally the Craft Beer Co if I want to spend £4 on a half pint...

Closer to £4.50 when I was there on Friday.

I men, incredible selection of beer and all, but I could go drink in the White Horse in Parsons green for cheaper than that and actually get to sit down.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
For an affordable Turkish I like Tas on Borough High St.

Haz near St Paul's is a bit more upmarket version of this but if your not into that they have a Cafe style place next door that's a bit more chilled out, well worth going if you are in that area for lunch.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
For Turkish you should go to Harringay. Anywhere on Green Lanes is pretty fantastic. Antepliler is probably one of the best ones out there.

Also there's a great one in Dalston, which does amazing breakfasts. I can't remember the name of right now, but Neris should know.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I don't think Anteplier is THAT good - the one in Islington? It was okay and good value but I don't know it's all that amazing. Maybe though!

Anyway the one in Dalston is called Evin. Nice review here. . You HAVE to order the sucuklu menemen if you're not a veggie that is!

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Neris posted:

I don't think Anteplier is THAT good - the one in Islington? It was okay and good value but I don't know it's all that amazing. Maybe though!

Anyway the one in Dalston is called Evin. Nice review here. . You HAVE to order the sucuklu menemen if you're not a veggie that is!

I'm prtty sure they're completely separate restaurants and just have the same name. The Harringay one is very good. :)

cooking_j
Jan 31, 2012
If anyone is looking for really good but basic Italian food around Euston try Pasta Plus. It is run by a middle aged couple who are amazingly friendly. They hand make their pasta every morning and their sauces are great. Not to mention i am pretty sure they have the best tiramisu in all of London!

http://www.pastaplus.co.uk/

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Another prospective first-time visitor to London here. This thread is great! My girlfriend recently turned vegetarian and Mildred's will definitely be on the program. Any another places you would recommend for veggie goodness? We are staying on the South Bank if that helps.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Refried Noodle posted:

Another prospective first-time visitor to London here. This thread is great! My girlfriend recently turned vegetarian and Mildred's will definitely be on the program. Any another places you would recommend for veggie goodness? We are staying on the South Bank if that helps.

I can't think of any other great veggie-only restaurants, but compared to the US and most of the rest of Europe, almost all restaurants in London are very veggie-friendly and will have numerous good veggie dishes, all clearly marked on the menu as well. It's almost never just a token pasta.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Refried Noodle posted:

If you want to splash out, Vanilla Black is rather good.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Refried Noodle posted:

Any another places you would recommend for veggie goodness? We are staying on the South Bank if that helps.

Wagamama is pretty good for veggie/vegan and they have branches everywhere.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

sweek0 posted:

For Turkish you should go to Harringay. Anywhere on Green Lanes is pretty fantastic. Antepliler is probably one of the best ones out there.

A hundred times this, I used to live 2 minutes from Green Lanes.

Hala is very good but kinda grungy inside, Diyarbakir is amazing. And So. Cheap.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

therattle posted:

If you want to splash out, Vanilla Black is rather good.

Man, I have heard nothing but bad things about Vanilla Black. Have you eaten there yourself? What did you reckon?

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Neris posted:

Thanks guys, this is inspiring me to make the odyssey in search of real Turkish food.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Man, I have heard nothing but bad things about Vanilla Black. Have you eaten there yourself? What did you reckon?

I have eaten there twice and enjoyed it both times. It isn't quite successful at doing what it sets out to do, but it comes pretty drat close. Decent reviews on london-eating and from newspapers.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Refried Noodle posted:

The Gate in Hammersmith.
http://thegaterestaurants.com/

Pied à Terre has a ridiculous looking veggie tasting menu.
http://www.pied-a-terre.co.uk/vegetarian-tasting-menu

Also, check out Rasoi for their Indian vegetarian tasting menu. I can confirm that their food is loving delicious.

angor fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 8, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

The Gate in Hammersmith.

Also, check out Rasoi for their Indian vegetarian tasting menu. I can confirm that their food is loving delicious.

W had dinner at L'Autre Pied, Pied a Terre's more casual sister, and my wife had a vegetarian meal which was absolutely sensational. Better than the veggie option at The Ledbury. I can't remember that much of it, except that the main was one of the best dishes I've eaten, veggie or non.

The Gate is very nice too, good call.

El Parador on Eversholt St is a tapas place with an extensive and fairly imaginative veggie menu (although I have not been there for years, to be sure).

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
Heading in a Surrey direction (ie willing to be outside of the tube network.

Wimbledon:
The Lighthouse https://www.lighthousewimbledon.com Fresh modern French/fusion food done really well.
Cote (chain)http://www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/ This is all over southwest london doing good value french food, always need to book.

New Malden
Su La: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=su+...=h&z=16&iwloc=A Korean restaurant which I visited with some Korean clients, they were impressed.

Surbiton
The French Table: http://www.thefrenchtable.co.uk This is the best French food I have had in this country.

I am even further out in Guildford, if anyone wants any further Surrey suggestion give me a PM.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

therattle posted:

El Parador on Eversholt St is a tapas place with an extensive and fairly imaginative veggie menu (although I have not been there for years, to be sure).

Have eaten there a few times, and I used to bloody love it but the last time I went I was so disappointed, most of the food was pretty bland. :sigh:

I need to go back to Asa Kusa, sushi place next door. The service put me off but EVERYONE seems to love it.

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe

Neris posted:

Went to Morito a few weeks ago, they don't take bookings, and was in Farringdon (it's in Exmouth Market). Strongly recommended. The spiced lamb thing was amazing and totally delicious, as was the pork belly type thing. And all pretty goddamn cheap. Also the cheeseboard was £9 and SO MUCH CHEESE.

Bit cramped though, sitting on the bar! Plus my boss walked in halfway through my dinner which was funny (even though our office and both our houses are nowhere near there.)

Next time anyone's on Exmouth Market, come see me at work in Bincho! I've heard raelly good things about Morito, haven't had the chance to go yet though. Caravan's good for a nice cup of coffee, and if you like drowning in butter, get the crumpets.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Sticking posted:

Next time anyone's on Exmouth Market, come see me at work in Bincho! I've heard raelly good things about Morito, haven't had the chance to go yet though. Caravan's good for a nice cup of coffee, and if you like drowning in butter, get the crumpets.

My dad works on mount pleasant so i've eaten at caravan a fair bit and tbh i think their breakfasts are really really overpriced and overrated. would much rather go to the cafe on the corner. My brother is a bar manager at the Eagle which is great as its been my ads local for years and now i get cheap food whenever i'm in the area. Best thing about exmouth market is the thai curries for lunch followed by an eclair from the nice french lady. Will come check out Bincho soon though.

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
The nice French lady? Is that Sweet, or one of the market stalls?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Sticking posted:

The nice French lady? Is that Sweet, or one of the market stalls?

market stall

danafish
Oct 6, 2009
Manna in Primrose Hill is good for creative vegetarian/vegan/free-from-stuff-that's-bad-for-you food. Not particularly cheap but you can spend all that money you've saved by not buying meat:

http://mannav.com/

For regular people who eat everything, the restaurant at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm is off-the-scale good. We always get a bunch of small plates to share, and I've never had anything there that was less than fantastic.

http://www.madeincamden.com/MiCv2/content/index.php

danafish fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 12, 2012

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

angor posted:

The Gate in Hammersmith.

To follow up on this: we had dinner at The Gate last friday. It was a good experience, with some great starters and not too expensive. May want to stay away from the caesar salad though, as it's essentially a garlic nuke.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Went to Ed's easy diner. Food was OK, waiting staff acted how someone trapped in a 1950's nightmare would act. Shakes are the only thing worth going for really.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

reality_groove posted:

Went to Ed's easy diner. Food was OK, waiting staff acted how someone trapped in a 1950's nightmare would act. Shakes are the only thing worth going for really.

I went to Ed's in Soho once, horribly hung over on a Sunday afternoon, and the barman told me about how he was still right that minute climbing out of a K-hole. Good times. Their burgers are passable, and the baked cheesecake is pretty good.

On the burgers front, I still want to go to Lucky Chip in Hackney.

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Oh my god, why did I take the whole bottle of pills?

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

On the burgers front, I still want to go to Lucky Chip in Hackney.

I saw somewhere on Twitter that they're following the Pitt Cue Co example and opening up a place in Soho, some sort of Slider bar if I'm not mistaken

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I went to Ed's in Soho once, horribly hung over on a Sunday afternoon, and the barman told me about how he was still right that minute climbing out of a K-hole.

lmao.

Anyone been to any good supper clubs recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Well, London goons, I'm in the middle of booking a short-term studio apartment in Shepherds Bush for the end of June/early July. Hopefully we'll be well clear of your fair city before the Olympics crap gets in full swing.

Since I'm obsessive about travel plans, I'll probably comb through this thread and find something near every one of our destinations. Which my husband will promptly ignore and steer us toward whatever eatery smells the best from the outside :rolleyes: