Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, unless you’re directly around Canary Wharf, Docklands is still mostly devoid. Especially the Excel area where it’s all ridiculously expensive. It’s just as quick to come back into central London for good food.

My Chinatown recommendations:
Wan Chai Corner - great for dim sum (Gerrard St/Gerrard Place)
Wong Kei - venerable institution based over several floors depending on the number of people in your party (Wardour St)
Four Seasons - really nice dishes (Wardour St)
Misato - Japanese, but huge portions and very affordable (Wardour St)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, you recommended Misato to me some years ago and I have been 3 times now, I love it. Never had Chinese in London so far though, so one of those places you mentioned is going to be it. I know where 2 of those are, but only ever walked past. Gonna change that this time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Hopper posted:

I'll be in London next week for a few days, does anyone have Tipps regarding:

- which Chinese restaurant in or around Chinatown to go to? (or somewhere reasonably near, my Hotel is in Mayfair and I have no problem walking a bit or taking the tube if it is worth it). Doesn't have to be expensive, I'd rather have authentic everyday food than a fancy affair.

- where to eat near ExCel? Is there anything in that area worth trying or should I rather look elsewhere?

Around the ExCel there's Nakhon Thai which I can vouch for, at least from a visit I made maybe six-seven years ago, I don't think there are many options outside of the overpriced shite you'll get inside the center. The Windjammer pub to the south is supposed to be good and close as the crow flies, but a 30 minute walk or 15 mins with a bus because it's the other side of some water.

Got to try the Four Seasons, but also want to see what Wong Kei's is like after their refurbishment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hopper posted:

Thanks, you recommended Misato to me some years ago and I have been 3 times now, I love it. Never had Chinese in London so far though, so one of those places you mentioned is going to be it. I know where 2 of those are, but only ever walked past. Gonna change that this time.

I would also recommend Coco Ichibanya for Japanese curries if that’s your bag. It’s a beloved chain in Japan, and it’s got a couple of outposts in London now. It’s so good. There’s one in Great Newport st by Chinatown, and one in James St near Bond Street station.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So many places, so few days...

The plan is tomorrow either Mei Mei/Chinatown, Monday Kanada Ya, Tuesday Chinatown/Mei Mei depending what I did Sunday, Wednesday reservation at Dishoom Canary Wharf and no idea if I can cram dinner in on Thursday before flying home.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Good choices :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Have you done a Dishoom breakfast? Those are fantastic, and you should definitely get the chai.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No haven't done the breakfast, but I am lucky to be staying at a really nice hotel with breakfast included.

Trip report: Day 1 was a mess, we decided to fly today instead of tomorrow so we would have an additional half day but nothing went our way. Problems with airport security lines, delayed flight, problems with the tube (track issue on district line interrupted) etc.

We arrived 2 hours late, checked in dumped our bags and immediately beeline for Mei Mei. Got lost trying to find it thanks to an idiot security guy who pointed us the absolutely wrong way. We found it 5mins before closing.

They were out of Curry but Hainanese chicken rice and Nasi Lemak were really good. We preferred the Chicken rice as it was the more coherent dish, the Nasi Lemak was tasty but felt lke a loosely assembled platter of things.

While we were eating Borough market closed down around us, bit of a shame as we haven't been there before.

We went to Kanada Ya for dinner, the Spicy Yuzu ramen is soooo good.

And we checked out the places in Chinatown for one of the other evenings. Since we are just 2 we will probably go for dumplings rather than four seasons. It looks great but also more of a group thing where you share a lot of dishes which isn't ideal for our small group.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Have you done a Dishoom breakfast? Those are fantastic, and you should definitely get the chai.

I haven' tbeen to London since December 2019 and am heading out in a couple weeks, Dishoom has always been on our "once a trip" list - they've held up the last few years?

Right now I think we're planning on hitting Sea to Sea, Noble Rot, Brat, Dishoom, Luca, and NoMad.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hopper posted:

No haven't done the breakfast, but I am lucky to be staying at a really nice hotel with breakfast included.

Trip report: Day 1 was a mess, we decided to fly today instead of tomorrow so we would have an additional half day but nothing went our way. Problems with airport security lines, delayed flight, problems with the tube (track issue on district line interrupted) etc.

We arrived 2 hours late, checked in dumped our bags and immediately beeline for Mei Mei. Got lost trying to find it thanks to an idiot security guy who pointed us the absolutely wrong way. We found it 5mins before closing.

They were out of Curry but Hainanese chicken rice and Nasi Lemak were really good. We preferred the Chicken rice as it was the more coherent dish, the Nasi Lemak was tasty but felt lke a loosely assembled platter of things.

While we were eating Borough market closed down around us, bit of a shame as we haven't been there before.

We went to Kanada Ya for dinner, the Spicy Yuzu ramen is soooo good.

And we checked out the places in Chinatown for one of the other evenings. Since we are just 2 we will probably go for dumplings rather than four seasons. It looks great but also more of a group thing where you share a lot of dishes which isn't ideal for our small group.

Kanada Ya is so great, I haven't been in way too long

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Fists Up posted:

Speaking of laksa does anyone have any other good recommendations? I've been craving this since moving to London and haven't really found many spots.

I haven't lived in London for 5 years but laksa from Phat Phuc in Chelsea was my favourite payday treat.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Dishoom was fantastic, and thanks to a flight cancellation just an hour before we were going to the airport, we get to stay an extra night in London.

Dinner at Coco Ichibanya it is.

I am surprised to see there are only 2 Pie Minister left, and not in this area. Sad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Dinner at Coco Ichibanya it is.

I am surprised to see there are only 2 Pie Minister left, and not in this area. Sad.

Enjoy! :toot:

There’s still a Pie Minister on Leather Lane, I think. My friend used to work there, and I worked nearby, so I got to try a ton of their pies for free.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hello friends. I am drunk in London Bridge, where should I get deliciously terribly takeout from?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bao is still open in Borough Market, if you wanna go there. Otherwise, get you a lot of McDs to absorb some alcohol.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Oooh. Thankyou. Bao is worth looking for. My nose led me to steak sammiches, but that does not preclude dumplings

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Wheres the go to Vietnamese place in Shoreditch these days? Not lived in London for ten years but the office I work remotely for is in the area and I go down once or twice a year.

It was definitely Song Que before, but been a while.

Actually any general recommends, especially lunch spots would be welcome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Wheres the go to Vietnamese place in Shoreditch these days? Not lived in London for ten years but the office I work remotely for is in the area and I go down once or twice a year.

It was definitely Song Que before, but been a while.

Actually any general recommends, especially lunch spots would be welcome.

Honestly anywhere in that strip of Vietnamese places won’t be bad. Song Que is still there, and Tay Do is pretty good too.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Fists Up posted:

Speaking of laksa does anyone have any other good recommendations? I've been craving this since moving to London and haven't really found many spots.

Laksamania near Holborn, also here are some more Malaysian places which are rated:-

Sambal Sheok Highbury and Islington
Rotiking - Euston
Hawkers kitchen - King’s Cross (more Indian than Malay, if you compare both you’ll see what I mean)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I should open a mamak stall in the aldwych quarter, would make a killing given the universities there - the people who opened a bubble tea store on Strand were getting insane footfall

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Haven't visited but jay Rayner just did a thing on Med Saleh in bayswater that sounds pretty good as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Was good to be back in town. After years of being there 1-2 times a year, this was an odd break from Christmas 2019.
Dishoom still slaps and I only wish I could have fit breakfast in.
Mei Mei was great, they have a huge space and their fried chicken was a standout.
The ramen place across from Mei Mei was also solid and had yuzu coming out of the wazoo.
Noble Rot is going strong, though they were out of some stuff pretty early in the evening.
NoMad restaurant is finding its legs. They did some way more inventive stuff than I expected a hotel restaurant to be going for.
Luca's menu feels like it has barely changed since they opened and they just really execute it well.
Dusty Knuckle had some great sandwiches.
Sonora tacos were fine, but I guess "fine" by London standards is stellar as its been missing.

I'm missing a few lunches and cooked in at my sisters one night, but definitely cannot let this much time pass before my next visit. The food just continues to get better year after year and its at the point where if we come for a week there aren't enough meals to go to our favorites and try new places.

Two standout new things I tried this week, Tayer + Elementary cocktail bar was so good I think we went 3 separate times for a pre dinner drink - including once on the way to Lyoness which has its own outstanding cocktail menu. My joy for this may be because they have a yuzu marg that spoke to me. The other was The Sea The Sea, which does a weird seafood omakase/tasting menu that is a top 3 meal of my life. Stayed well after it ended chatting with the chef/somm and doing shots. Two dishes were plays on things I usually find boring and were annoyingly good, and their scallops with egg yolk is a dish I will be recreating at home. Well worth the money if anyone is on the fence.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Was a few weeks ago, but had a birthday meal at Zedel and it's still great.

It often comes up that London doesn't have much good Mexican food, I feel like it's more like we're one of the places that tries but are held back by there not being much of a Mexican community here. In any case, I went to Homies on Donkies in Leytonstone and it was really good! Well worth a look.

I had a really good Lebanese meal at Layalina in Billericay, there's a handful of them around London so probably worth a look as well.

There's signs of life at the site of Mercato in Ilford again, maybe they're actually going to finish it now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I was slightly saddened to see the Hawaiian burger place off Carnaby Street has closed down. I’d never been, but I always intended to go one day. :smith:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Was that Kua Aina or something similar? I went there a couple of years ago and the burger was great and unusual, mine had pineapple on it, shame they had to close.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Was that Kua Aina or something similar? I went there a couple of years ago and the burger was great and unusual, mine had pineapple on it, shame they had to close.

Yeah, that’s the one. It always seemed to be busy, so I wonder what made it close up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Odd, their website is still up and mentions none of this. Are you sure they are not remodeling or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Possibly they are! The place was being gutted and there were a bunch of Westminster Council papers on the doors, so I didn’t examine too closely. I may just be making assumptions and they’ll be open again in a few weeks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd check back, Google says temporarily closed. Not sure how accurate Google opening times are, but you never know. It is definitely worth the detour to get one of their burgers if they open again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hopper posted:

Odd, their website is still up and mentions none of this. Are you sure they are not remodeling or something?

Restaurant websites are kind of known for not being updated in a timely manner, tbf.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Lol if anyone working in or managing a restaurant even thinks about a website

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Had a chicken burger and tatertots at Thunderbird beside Charing Cross a little earlier, really nice stuff.

Also if you're in Greenwich and after Pizza can recommend Madre Pinzeria Italiana, on the north face outside face of the market building.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
time to check in here again!

south of the border catered at a work event and i ate four of their refried bean tacos in as many minutes. iirc they're based on leathermarket st but they do catering and their owner is the soundest guy ever. puff puff ministry also catered at a work event and i DIDN'T GET TO TRY ANY because they were so popular that i just couldn't get to them in time. i also can't recommend jamaica patty co. in covent garden enough - tried their vegan patty a few months back and it was so buttery and flaky and savoury.

my favourite vietnamese place closed down over the summer, so if anybody has recommendations for good vegan friendly places, let me know. i loved roll baby but they do nfts now so i will be buying my summer rolls elsewhere from here on out

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I’ve got an unexpected evening to myself tomorrow after a platelet donation near Oxford Circus, before I need to catch the train back to deepest darkest Kent.

Any recommendations around the west end or London Bridge area for places that:

-serve food reasonably quick
-are not too fancy
-are OK for a solo diner
-don’t require bookings
-aren’t Italian

?

Maybe £30-40 max total is what I wouldn’t mind spending. I was thinking of somewhere like Coco Ichibanya, that’s been on my list for a while. I also thought Shoryu but have been there a few times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

I’ve got an unexpected evening to myself tomorrow after a platelet donation near Oxford Circus, before I need to catch the train back to deepest darkest Kent.

-are not too fancy
-are OK for a solo diner
-don’t require bookings
-aren’t Italian

?

Maybe £30-40 max total is what I wouldn’t mind spending. I was thinking of somewhere like Coco Ichibanya, that’s been on my list for a while. I also thought Shoryu but have been there a few times.

Coco Ichibanya is great, do that.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nephzinho posted:

I haven' tbeen to London since December 2019 and am heading out in a couple weeks, Dishoom has always been on our "once a trip" list - they've held up the last few years?

Hah, I'm planning on doing the same. Got the OK for last-minute time off and I'm rereading the thread for ideas. Finally going overseas for the first time since the pandemic and a Dishoom breakfast is mandatory for me (thinking about the Big Bombay since 2016).

I asked in the travel subforum, but I thought I'd ask this before I get other ideas: is there anything special for the holidays I should look into? My itinerary is still flexible but I'm planning on being around the first half of December and it's the first time I've been pretty much anywhere this time of year. I realize that sounds a little vague, but I just thought I'd ask.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lady Gaza posted:

-are not too fancy
-are OK for a solo diner
-don’t require bookings
-aren’t Italian

?

Maybe £30-40 max total is what I wouldn’t mind spending. I was thinking gvof somewhere like Coco Ichibanya, that’s been on my list for a while. I also thought Shoryu but have been there a few times.

Coco Ichibanya is worth a visit if you like Japanese curry, as the Doctor said, alternatively I'd suggest Kanada-Ya Soho for Ramen.

With coco expect a queue though, we were 2 in June on a Thursday and had to wait for a good 25 minutes.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 7, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lady Gaza posted:

-are not too fancy
-are OK for a solo diner
-don’t require bookings
-aren’t Italian

?

Koya
Blacklock
Both might be busy but could probably fit a solo diner in. The problem is that the good places get full.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bunsik Korean corn dogs are opening in Stratford Westfield next month, if anyone wants to go to a shopping centre in December. They have a few locations now but might suit some, it's in the ground floor food hall with Popeye's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks, I don’t mind a bit of a wait for a table. Once I’m in though I just don’t want to be sitting around for ages waiting for service. The cafe/canteen style places are probably a good bet.