Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I would just like to thank the Londoners in this thread for their dedication to sussing out the best places to eat. I have a one-day conference coming up at UCL in May, and I intend to make good on the day I have before it to go to (at the very least) Wahaca. Been looking for good Mexican forever, and the only thing that has kinda-sorta come close has been Bodega in Birmingham. That being said, their ropa vieja is much better than anything 'Mexican' they produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Went to a Nepalese place - Great Nepalese Restaurant - right by Euston Station (specifically Eversholt street), which a senior colleague was raving about being some of the best "Indian" in London.

Was pretty underwhelmed, but that may have been due to his extreme enthusiasm falling short of reality. Anyone else been to this place care to tell me why I'm wrong, or is a menu that is fairly identical to every other Indian place in the world fairly common? I was somehow expecting something different, at the very least.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

sweek0 posted:

Mid-tier chain dining discussions are required to have Wahaca mentions, JFYI.

Wahaca is pretty good. Not authentic in any way but then again the whole striving for authenticity thing is also a bit silly.

I've had Wahaca recommended to me in the same breath as Mestizo by actual Mexicans (plural, on separate occasions). Make of that what you will, I love the place.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I have a few hours to kill waiting for a train in Clapham junction next week. Late afternoon/early evening. Does anyone know any decent (read: not 'spoons) pubs or bars within shambling distance of the platform?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for the pub suggestions fellas, I might make a crawl out of it.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Breakfastchat is great and all, but someone asked about Richmond on the last page and as it happens, I'll be spending a lot of my time there in the coming months. Any ideas beyond the pubs already suggested?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Asking for my dad, who recently moved to Putney Bridge area (he's on Brewhouse lane): any good places nearby? Part of his job is wining and dining people, so while fancy is good, overall excellence in food is better.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Snipeo posted:

Chez Bruce is fairly nearby

Looks about right, thanks!. Any great non-Michelin restaurants, of any cuisine, in case he wants backups?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Anae posted:

Hi all. I'm moving to London next week. Will be living in Putney and working in Farringdon. On that note, do any of you learned foodies have...

a) Recommendations for dinner in Putney? Have heard good things about Prince of Wales and Ohayo Sushi.
b) Recommendations for lunch spots in Farringdon?

I love any and all cuisines so fire away.

Late, but The Putney Canteen does a mighty fine breakfast and has its own in-house butchery. The huevos rancheros are a perennial favourite of mine.

So it looks like I'm also moving to London in the new year. The recommendations in this thread aside, how do you lot keep up with that is buzz-worth in terms of new places to eat/food-related events across the city?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I went to Yauatcha's City location on Friday for my birthday. I believe the Soho location is the Michelin-starred one, but the menus are identical and Soho was almost completely booked out on Friday, so no big deal.

Honestly, probably the best Chinese food I've ever had, if a tad pricey. We went with the "signature dim sum menu" @ £45 each + a £34 bottle of wine. I'm not that great with seafood and fish, but I wolfed down everything they brought out. If you're looking to splash out on somewhere for a special occasion, you could do much worse. Next time I would probably order a la carte, however. Crispy duck is insanely delicious.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for places to eat in the Brixton area? I know there's plenty in the Brixton market to look for, but maybe people know of good places outside of it too?

KaoSarn in Brixton Market is excellent Thai food. If you're looking for outside the Market, the White Horse is a short walk straight up Brixton Hill and does well-above-average pub food in a pretty nice setting.

But really, the market is where it's at food-wise in Brixton in my experience.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

caberham posted:

Waiting in line in Koya hopefully it's good. But man soho is so gentrified now and kinda cool!

There's also gourmet burger kitchen next door. Man all these restaurants going global

GBK is from London originally, although the founders were from New Zealand.

What is the London goon opinion on places that do High/Afternoon Tea? Looking to treat my SO on a day out, but the choice is bewildering.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Seeing a show with partner and partner's parents this weekend at the Royal Albert Hall. I work in Bloomsbury and pretty much only go to that side of town for the NHM. Where does one take someone to impress them but not bankrupt them in that area?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

We went to Zakia and got the theatre menu. It was very good, but obviously not the real good stuff, so I want to go back.

Best chicken and waffles in London: go!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I'm going to Assado in Waterloo next week, anyone been? I'm not paying, which is nice. Goan/Portuguese/Brazilian sounds a little busy.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

IMHO no Mexican restaurant in London is better than Mestizo near Euston, and also everyone seems to be confusing Tex Mex and Mexican.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'm going to Tayyabs, any unmissable dishes?

Mixed grill platter.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

It's my partner's 30th this weekend, taking her to see Hamilton and staying overnight in London Friday to Sunday, near Great Portland Street.

I have pre- and post-Hamilton wrapped up (Dishoom by request and the Bar Americain at Zedel because I've been talking about it for years), but what is easy and good around Fitzrovia? Avoiding having to queue is a big plus.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I love Josephine’s on Charlotte Street. It’s a Filipino restaurant, and I’ve never had a bad meal there.

Sell me on it - I have very mixed experiences with Filipino.

edit: not that it really means anything but the first review when i google it is 1-star.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Doesn’t sound like it’s worth justifying it to you, honestly.

Sounds like you might be the owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I love Brasserie Zedel and specifically the Bar Americain, but after a day walking around and seeing a show yesterday we didn't feel up for queueing for (an admittedly very nice) cocktail. Love their negronis.

Had dinner at Honey & Smoke in Fitzrovia, highly recommend the meze.

Edit: we both followed the meze with the grilled lamb chops and :drat:

Vlex fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 22, 2019