Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Junior G-man posted:

Hey London types, can you help me out?

I'm going to be in London (staying just NW of Kensington Gardens) in the last week of february for 3 days.

I'm looking for two recommendations; one Indian (my mum's favourite) and one British/pub/gastropub.

When I was there I looked around for good gastropubs, and bam, one with a Michelin star out of nowhere. It's called The Harwood Arms, and one of the owners has a rifle license and he shoots the deer that end up on the menu.

It was one of the best meals I've ever had.

First course was snails with garlic and smoked bone marrow, and it was awesome. Entree was a fallow deer chop along with a fallow deer meat pie. Now, I ordered this, and they didn't ask me "How do you want that cooked?" so I was slightly concerned but figured they knew what they were doing, and when it came out, it was *perfect*. Dessert was a quince cake with a mead-and-raisin ice cream.

If you're looking for a gastropup in London, hit this place, it's in Fulham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh, loving DEATH to restaurant websites built in Flash. And who decided PDFs were to be the standard for displaying menus?

Slate had a decent article on why restaurant websites generally suck. Summary: The people who run restaurants are just the sort of pathological control freaks who think auto-playing music and Flash are good presentation tools.

Thankfully, it seems like they're starting to wake up to what a bad idea all that is, the awareness just doesn't seem to have spread to Europe yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Bill Bryson has a great bit in 'Notes from a Small Island' about how the interest threshold at Stonehenge is about 11 minutes. You can't go up to it, you can't touch it, so you just look at it from about 100ft away and... pssh, that's it, really.

It's still pretty damned cool.

Your feathered sacred self by Phanatic, on Flickr

With the ghosts and the ancient stones by Phanatic, on Flickr