Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TCR and Cecil Court/St Martin’s Lane, and apparently there’s some in the city too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My dude, head to North America and try Mexican/Tex-Mex food there. Then you’ll be disappointed over here forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, I’ve found out about a couple of places in London that do birria tacos, so I’ll have to give them a go soon. One’s a stall in Camden Market called Meat Head Mexican, so hours can be funky. The other is on Edgware Road, and is called Birria Taco. They do a full menu, including birria ramen! That one is definitely getting a visit soon. :dance:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’ve done free ice cream for as long as I can remember, but brown butter seems above and beyond!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They did Mexican week on Bake Off this week, and apparently it was a dismal failure because most people have never even seen a taco.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I had the sudden desire for pie and mash today, so I might have to look up places soon. I remember Manze in Bermondsey being good, and the one at the top end of the Portobello being alright.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My favourite restaurant growing up was Poons on Leicester Street, Bill Poon shuttered all his restaurants back in about 2005/6, but his daughter Amy has a pop-up on Charlotte Street doing lunchtime wontons at the moment. It’s not even nearly the same, but I’ll try it soon.

I just want that sweet and sour crispy wonton dish again. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you want tacos, London is not the city for you.

For fish & chips, Poppies is pretty good. Go to the one by Spitalfields, not Old Compton Street.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve found out about deep dish pizza place Japes on Dean St. They claim to do Chicago style deep dish, but every photo of them looks nothing like it to my experienced eye.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I now live in Chicago and that is neither Chicago deep dish or the other, superior Chicago pizza type.

Lou Malnati’s or Giordano’s?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh the thin crust? Eh, I can take it or leave it. Maybe I’ve never had a good one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, unless you’re directly around Canary Wharf, Docklands is still mostly devoid. Especially the Excel area where it’s all ridiculously expensive. It’s just as quick to come back into central London for good food.

My Chinatown recommendations:
Wan Chai Corner - great for dim sum (Gerrard St/Gerrard Place)
Wong Kei - venerable institution based over several floors depending on the number of people in your party (Wardour St)
Four Seasons - really nice dishes (Wardour St)
Misato - Japanese, but huge portions and very affordable (Wardour St)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Thanks, you recommended Misato to me some years ago and I have been 3 times now, I love it. Never had Chinese in London so far though, so one of those places you mentioned is going to be it. I know where 2 of those are, but only ever walked past. Gonna change that this time.

I would also recommend Coco Ichibanya for Japanese curries if that’s your bag. It’s a beloved chain in Japan, and it’s got a couple of outposts in London now. It’s so good. There’s one in Great Newport st by Chinatown, and one in James St near Bond Street station.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Have you done a Dishoom breakfast? Those are fantastic, and you should definitely get the chai.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Dinner at Coco Ichibanya it is.

I am surprised to see there are only 2 Pie Minister left, and not in this area. Sad.

Enjoy! :toot:

There’s still a Pie Minister on Leather Lane, I think. My friend used to work there, and I worked nearby, so I got to try a ton of their pies for free.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bao is still open in Borough Market, if you wanna go there. Otherwise, get you a lot of McDs to absorb some alcohol.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Wheres the go to Vietnamese place in Shoreditch these days? Not lived in London for ten years but the office I work remotely for is in the area and I go down once or twice a year.

It was definitely Song Que before, but been a while.

Actually any general recommends, especially lunch spots would be welcome.

Honestly anywhere in that strip of Vietnamese places won’t be bad. Song Que is still there, and Tay Do is pretty good too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I was slightly saddened to see the Hawaiian burger place off Carnaby Street has closed down. I’d never been, but I always intended to go one day. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Was that Kua Aina or something similar? I went there a couple of years ago and the burger was great and unusual, mine had pineapple on it, shame they had to close.

Yeah, that’s the one. It always seemed to be busy, so I wonder what made it close up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Possibly they are! The place was being gutted and there were a bunch of Westminster Council papers on the doors, so I didn’t examine too closely. I may just be making assumptions and they’ll be open again in a few weeks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

I’ve got an unexpected evening to myself tomorrow after a platelet donation near Oxford Circus, before I need to catch the train back to deepest darkest Kent.

Any recommendations around the west end or London Bridge area for places that:

-serve food reasonably quick
-are not too fancy
-are OK for a solo diner
-don’t require bookings
-aren’t Italian

?

Maybe £30-40 max total is what I wouldn’t mind spending. I was thinking of somewhere like Coco Ichibanya, that’s been on my list for a while. I also thought Shoryu but have been there a few times.

Coco Ichibanya is great, do that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Conversely I’ve never had to wait at CoCo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Update, Coco Ichibanya was great. I had the pork katsu curry. It was nice to pick the spice level.

It’s really good there. If I move back to London properly, I’ll work my way through the menu.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A 5 minute walk away is Rinkoff’s Bakery, who do delicious bagels, cronuts and more. My mum used to do their books, and they’d absolutely load her down with goodies every Christmas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lloyddy posted:

As a North London not Jew I thought it was Carmelli (Golders Green) for bagels and B & K (Edgware) for salt beef but I may be wrong.

Both of these, yes!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

There is so much great food to get in London, bagels are not amongst them.

Why not? The bagels are great and part of the great food tapestry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A jargogle posted:

At a loose end today passing through london, any recommendations for lunches in the vicinity of, or a few tube stops from, blackfriars station?

You’re very close to Borough Market, which is literally full of delicious places to lunch. Have a wander and a munch!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I used to work at Guys and St Thomas, and whenever I was over at Guys, Borough would be my port of call for lunch, hoovering up my pay.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Passing through central London tomorrow morning and taking the opportunity to have breakfast at Dishoom for the first time in years. Very much looking forward to it. :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

Any recommendations near Kings Cross? We'll be staying a few nights later this year and have no clue what's good

There’s a Dishoom by there! Have both dinner and breakfast. Also, King’s Cross is central London, you’re walking distance/couple of tube stops from everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Passing through central London tomorrow morning and taking the opportunity to have breakfast at Dishoom for the first time in years. Very much looking forward to it. :toot:

Threw out my usual order and went for the Big Bombay. Might have made the wrong decision. It’s still good, but I don’t think I wanted this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tarbrush posted:

I'd eat it. But I would like more eggs and less beans

:hmmyes:

I ate it, but regret my decision. I always got the kejriwal (eggs on chilli cheese toast), and I should have had that this time too.

Also I went to pay with cash, only to be told they don’t give change. Like, no, you’re not getting a £14 tip on top of the service charge. The waiter seemed slightly put out when I took my cash back and took out my card.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Having a landlord for over 150 years is wild.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My favourite dim sum place in Chinatown, Wan Chai Corner has closed! :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nando’s? I jest.

You’ve got Borough Market right next to London Bridge station, so lots of choice. Bao, Padella, Katzenjammers. Yen Burger looks quite interesting, I’d like to give that a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

reality_groove posted:

There's a Flat Iron on Tooley Street. That's my go-to.

My go-to on Tooley Street used to be Space Adventure, but that was a while ago.