Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Went to "Flat Iron" in Soho yesterday. Absolutely fantastic. Great steak, Bearnaise sauce. Menu is simple, but it's clear that's so what they do cook is cooked well.

I recommend the roasted aubergine, too.

I adore Flat Iron, so delicious and such good value.

Speaking of which, I did the express menu (£26 for three courses) at Hawksmoor Seven Dials on the weekend and holy poo poo I need to go back ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

dcgrp posted:

I'll be chaperoning a small group (8 ish) of american high school kids near the covent garden area. Any recommendations? They probably won't be interested in spending too much. They will probably be interested in food that is stereotypically British.

Regent Street Tesco has a fantastic range of overpriced ready to eat pizza and the pavement right in front of the stairs down to Piccadilly Circus tube has a really nice atmosphere for eating and chilling in large or small groups.

Brand New Malaysian Wife fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 26, 2014

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Can anyone comment on how good Foxlow is? Menu looks good but I've read some pretty bad reviews about it.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Hmmm thanks for that, will have to give it a try I think.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Time Out doesn't say anything about how good/bed a place is now- just really basic info and a vague star rating.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

O'Neill's Muswell Hill
It’s a bit out of the way to the north and not near any underground stations. It’s a long walk from Highgate, East Finchley, Turnpike Lane, or Hornsey on the Overground. It’s accessible by quite a few buses though. This place is a former church that has been converted into a restaurant / bar. The atmosphere is great, the interior is spacious, and it has billiard tables that are free even on a busy night. The menu and food looked good but I was only there for drinks which were good but limited.

Of all the pubs in that area, you went to the worst one.

Also if you liked Sainsburys it's lucky that you didn't discover Waitrose because it would have blown your mind.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I'm off to Little Social for my birthday- anyone from here been? Good?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

_Dav posted:

Just throwing this out there:

Gokyuzu on Green Lanes is fantastic. Really top notch Turkish food, can't recommend it enough.

Fun fact: There is also a Gokyzu in Wood Green now!

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Little Social was wonderful. Great food and ambience as well as music. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to Primal Scream while I devoured all the deliciousness.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

reality_groove posted:

Outside of Bodeans there's Duke's in Haggerston. More expensive and a smaller menu but what they do, they do very well.

I went to Made in Italy just off James Street this week. It's one of a small chain of maybe 8 restaurants around London, I've also been to the Earls Court one. They do pizza by the metre, and it's pretty authentic stuff. Seemed to be staffed by Italians and there were other Italians eating there. Ordered more pizza than we could eat, took it home and had it for breakfast the next day. Amazing. Made up for their surprisingly disappointing tiramisu.

I went to this branch about six months ago with a large group and when a couple in our group left early and tried to pay for what they had (the set menu price and a couple of drinks) the waiter and manager absolutely lost their poo poo when these people declined to pay the service charge (no idea why they didn't want to, this was going on at the till downstairs while the rest of us were still eating/drinking) and started interrogating the rest of our group quite aggressively until we assured them that we would pay for the service charge for everyone, including the two that declined. The pizza was good but I wouldn't go back due to the ferocity of the staff. The service was basic at best anyway.

Brand New Malaysian Wife fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 29, 2015

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, in my experience 'optional service charge' is rarely optional.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

therattle posted:

I just had extremely good tapas for lunch in Crouch End at Bar Esteban. I think it's the best Spanish food I've had in London. We just had V dishes: pan con tomate, tortilla, fried aubergine with honey and walnuts, crispy chickpeas, spinach with pine nuts and raisins. Everything was absolutely delicious. With a coffee and service, the bill was £24. Really really good. We are DEFINITELY going back. They also do weekend brunch.

This is around the corner from my house so definitely going to give it a go.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Brasserie Zedel near Piccadilly Circus is alright?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Went to Dishoom in King's Cross tonight. Was good but had to wait 45 minutes for a table after we arrived at 6pm.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Went to Herman Ze German in Soho yesterday, place is incredible. Cheap and tasty currywurst with a £2 glass bottle of really nice German cola. I already look forward to going back.

Agreed!

I went to Max's Sandwich Shop in Crouch Hill and had a bangin beef brisket sammich today. Highly recommend.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

therattle posted:

Just tried La Fabrica on Stroud Green Rd. Very disappointing. Most dishes were mediocre to poor. Decor is ok; modern industrial trendy, inoffensive and pleasant enough but unimaginative. The food was not good though, and the tortilla was downright poor. Pimentios Padron also seemed lacking in freshness. Bar Esteban in Crouch End is leagues better and probably about the same price. No comparison between them though.

Was going to try this place but think I'll go with Bar Esteban instead. Thanks for the heads up.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Have been to Max's a couple of times now and can confirm it's really good. Four choices of sandwich, all you can drink Allpress in lovely mismatched cups, no plates (sandwiches come wrapped in greaseproof paper), decent booze and quick friendly service. Both times it has been busy and I think it's going to do well.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Had a cheap dinner at bunnychow in Soho tonight, basically a load of curry in half a hollowed out loaf of bread. Was awesome and dirt cheap, like a tenner including a drink.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

Is there any particular time that it's best to call Dotori or are they just terrible at answering the phone?

Can confirm that they're poo poo at answering the phone but persistence is key and totally worth it. God I love that place.

Anyone had brunch at Modern Pantry? That's next on my list.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Going to Foxlow for dinner soon, has anyone from here been?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

That chocolate cake looks like Wetherspoon's finest.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Where can me and the girlfriend go for a good steak in a nice place without me spending £150 for the pair of us in gaucho again?

http://www.hillandszrok.co.uk/

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

drat yeah a tenner for a steak is really good if its tasty

Can confirm, it is really tasty. However you'll either be faced with a long wait or communal tables depending on which branch you go to.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
You can't book at either of them, Beak Street has communal tables, Denmark Street doesn't, they're both stupidly busy unless you go outside of peak meal times.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Brunched at Modern Pantry today, the best brunch in recent memory for sure. Also excited to hear they're opening a sort of tapas style place next month.

Had lunch at Chick N Sours in Dalston yesterday and holy poo poo it was good. The chicken was the best I've ever had but they serve this picked watermelon rind that I actually cannot stop thinking about. Must go back ASAP.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Any goons been to Kitty Fisher's or Som Saa yet? I'm planning on going to Som Saa next weekend and I guess Kitty Fisher's whenever I can get a reservation....

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Months, supposedly although it may have calmed down a little bit now. Also you have to call them, no online reservations.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I went to Som Saa tonight and it was fantastic- really fresh flavoursome northern Thai food. We arrived at 5:30 and had a drink at the bar until they started seating people at 6pm and it was completely full by 6:10pm.

Everything we had was brilliant but my favourites were the smoky aubergine dish and palm sugar ice cream with banana. Definitely worth a try if you like Asian cuisine.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
If you eat fish and eggs you'll be ok but if not I wouldn't bother. Then again the people next to us brought along their child who is allergic to nuts and chilli (what a waste of a table setting)?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

NLJP posted:

Have you been to The Heron? If so, how does it compare? Som Saa does sound more flash but the Heron is the best northern Thai I've had so far, though it's a bit weird now they've redecorated

No, but I've heard it's gotten more expensive and the quality has dropped a bit. Probably still worth a try when I eventually get around to it.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Definitely go Modern Pantry or Kopapa (be sure to book), I was at Dishoom for brunch a couple of weeks ago and while the food was good, the service was poor.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Anyone here been to Paradise Garage yet? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks for the tasting menu....

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Went to Shotgun BBQ for their soft launch and was quite impressed. We had the combination plates (£19 inc 2 sides Boston Butt, pork belly and Iberico ribs) with potato salad, green salad and coleslaw as well as some duck breast. Their sauces to accompany the meat were decent although the hot BBQ sauce could have done with a bit more of a kick. Greengage sauce to go with the duck was inspired. LOVED the slaw as it wasn't drowning in creamy dressing. I wasn't drinking but the cocktails looked delicious and their blueberry limeade was really really tasty. Decor is really nice and atmosphere cosy.

Desserts were excellent, pecan brownie was one of the best I've ever had and their soft serve ice cream was as smooth as the stuff made by that liquid nitrogen ice cream place in Camden, Top notch.

This weekend, very excited to be trying the tasting menu at Paradise Garage!

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I'm glad I went but they've got some stiff competition.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I'm going there for the tasting menu tomorrow for a work party. I'll let you know what my experience is like.

What's the verdict then?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Right sorry, it became a very late night afterwards and I had to go to Nottingham at 730am with a rotten hangover Thursday after getting home at 330. Back in the game now.

Paradise Garage itself was nice - being in a literal former train garage the industrial-chic aesthetic is interesting. There's some construction going on across the street so the view is currently either very authentic or a bit poo poo depending on your point of view.

Overall I think the tasting menu had some real highlights - the lamb main was delicious, and it came with lamb fry as well, which I know can be a few different organs, but I'm pretty sure it was a testicle. It was crispy and tasted good though, and now I can say I eat balls which is a solid bonus.

The bread and butter are also really good; they serve a whiskey infused smoked butter that's made in house, which was quite good. I did, however, go through a fair amount of it because the portions on the tasting menu are, as expected, quite small, and I left hungry after (which made me glad I wasn't the one paying £45 for it). There was a fish course which was excellent as well, perfectly cooked with a great texture.

I was lucky enough to have a pescatarian with a small appetite beside me, so she also gave me some nibbles from her plates including the cockles which tasted like eating the sea, in a good way.

I enjoyed the meal quite a lot, and there was no course that I didn't enjoy, but at the end I'm not sure if I'd pay that amount again for what I got. It wasn't outrageously expensive by any means, but it was also only very good and not actually amazing. Worth a try though.

We ended up postponing our visit as the other half had some friends staying this weekend so based on your review I think I might suss out something else for Date Night.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Had a lovely roast dinner at Heirloom http://www.heirloomn8.co.uk/ last night, their treacle loaf was to die for. Keen to go back and try the tasting menu now.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Where's the best fruit ice cream in London? All the supermarkets are pushing vanilla / chocolate / caramel or B&J marshmellow cookie dough junk. Where can I get a good raspberry ripple (or blackberry, blueberry, apricot, boysenberry (!) ripple for that matter)

Riley Ice Cream Cafe in Crouch End is good (albeit wildly overpriced) and as someone else said, Ruby Violet.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Apparently you need to keep an eye on your bill as lots of random poo poo you didn't order get tends to get put on it.

Brand New Malaysian Wife fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't been, but a friend has had it happen three times (she works nearby so goes there for business lunches sometimes).