Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Went to Hoppers in Soho for lunch today, can confirm it totally lives up to the hype. All the food was incredibly spicy, rich and unctuous. The stand out dishes for me were the bone marrow varuval (sorta like a bone marrow curry) with an extra roti to mop it up with and the black pork kari. I'm already planning on going again soon.

A word of warning: there was a 30 strong queue outside at 11:45am for 12pm opening and it's only a tiny place. Service was really quick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Or if you're in a real hurry, Ribman has a stand at Euston now.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

I didn't necessarily mean off the wall, just something a bit unusual that you probably wouldn't find in a little town. For example I have been looking at Kopapa because it has an interesting take on the idea of fusion food. Or there are places that have unusual views - I've been to a restaurant near London City airport where you could see planes taking off. Just something that has a uniqueness to it, not necessarily a weirdness.

Kopapa and its sister restaurant Providores are off the hook, love them.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I had a donut from the yellow door on Columbia Road a few weeks ago, was epic.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
£60 for 2 G&Ts and 2 Old Fashioned's inc service. Dear is right. Nice bar though.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Heard good things about Meat Liquor's burgers, though on the one occasion I went there I had a chicken burger, which was incredible so I could believe the rest of the menu is up to that.

It's not, the chicken burgers are way better than the others.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So slightly last minute request. Looking to book somewhere for next Friday evening.

It's a ten year (1st wedding) anniversary but due to work looking for places around Highbury/Finsbury Park type area though some travelling acceptable.

Anywhere particularly interesting that might have a table that people have been to recently?

Tasting menu at Heirloom in Crouch End is wonderful for the price (£45).

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Any goons been to Caravan in King's Cross for dinner? I've booked, but the sheer amount of reviews saying the service is poo poo is putting me off.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
So I went to Caravan last night and the food was pretty good. Really enjoyed the crispy pork belly and beef carpaccio small plates, the service was good, the only weak point was my pavlova- I think the addition of sorrel ruined it. Sort of pricey for what you get but I'd probably go again and definitely want to go back for the brunch.

Next up: Rok Islington

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Went to Rok in Islington last night with a friend and the food was excellent! I had pork with smoked apple which was delicious but the stars were the sides- Swedish potato gratin with anchovy was out of this world and charred cabbage with cheese and nori rice sounded pretty gross but was delicious. Pickles and peach dessert deserve a mention too. We were sat at the back near the kitchen and it was very warm (only skylight windows) so on a hotter day it'd be pretty uncomfortable.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I went for Hello Kitty afternoon tea at Cutter and Squidge in Soho this afternoon and it was delicious and cute and totally worth the £40pp.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

tentish klown posted:

I've just moved to half way between Old St and Shoreditch High St stations, about 3 mins walk from Dinerama. What's good and cheap to eat around, where should I get my affordable take away dinners?!

If you're spending that amount on rent can I recommend....cooking?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Dotori has closed down :smith:

WHAT

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Walked passed it earlier today. Sign saying they'd decided to close it as they need a break and there are no plans to reopen in the future.

Considering how popular it was they can probably retire now but drat, that sucks.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Oddly, the best steak I've had in recent memory was from The Lighterman in King's Cross. It's not a steak restaurant but the rib eye was even better than Hawksmoor.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Lots of good options around St Pancras. Dishoom, Caravan and German Gymnasium all do fantastic food from breakfast right through to dinner. My pick would be Dishoom for breakfast.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Fortnum and Mason do alright coffee/tea but you're almost certainly better off grabbing a bag from Caravan.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know how much longer it's around for, but pop up supper club Chicken of the Woods at Hornsey Town Hall blew my socks off tonight. Seven courses, a G&T and a couple of glasses of wine for £55 inc service. The food was spectacular and the menu changes every week depending on what is available.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Anyone recommend a decent spot for a blind date near Waterloo-ish? Thinking coffee... The map in the OP doesn't have anywhere particularly close.

Scooter Cafe near Waterloo is cute and laid back. Also has cats!

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The Hotel Chocolat on Monmouth St?

This.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
YES

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Last autumn I went to a pop up supper club run by some chefs from a very good neighbourhood restaurant near where I live and yesterday I got an email to say they're putting it on again in a slightly different format:

https://www.chickenotwoods.com/

The food is exceptional and reasonably priced and it's running every Friday night from early September at a cafe in Muswell Hill.

:getin:

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Hey, that looks cool. I like Flesh & Flour, it's my preferred local coffee place.

I've never actually bought anything from there but I might give the coffee a try when I'm up there this weekend!

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Had brunch at Ester's in Stoke Newington today (French toast):

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
In my experience even when you do have reservations they ram you into the bar for an hour anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Anae posted:

Good restaurants around NW1? I'm pretty broad in tastes/styles, just generally seems a bit barren.

Re: Penge/SE - absolutely loads in Peckham that I've blathered about before. Artusi, Miss Tapas, Mr Bao, Yadas, Banh Banh, Cravings La Careta, JD's, Taco Queen, Peckham Bazaar, Oi Spaghetti, Forza Win - it's legitimately harder to find a bad meal at the moment

ROTI KING