Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

My mum's birthday is coming up and I'd like to take her out somewhere nice. Problem is she's a retiree and eats out all the time, her favourite is the Delauney but they eat there so often that it's not so special anymore. Other favourites are St Johns, Hawksmore, Terroir, Dehesa, Honey & Co and the Modern Pantry. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're going to have to be looking at places like Dinner or the Ledbury for a treat or go the complete opposite and take her to pitt cue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I went one of the street feast events about a month ago and it was great fun.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I went to the smokehouse in Islington on Friday. Huge, huge selection of beers on tap. The food was ok. It was tasty enough but just didn't have quite the depth of flavour i was expecting, apparently they do everything on a big green egg which is an expensive home smoker. The portions were pretty small too. I had sticky toffee pudding for desert and it was more of a brown sponge. Than said it was a decent meal and I think I've just been spoiled recently.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Korean is 100% the next thing. Great to hear good things about Busan is my parents house is right around the corner.

On the topic of new poo poo opening my brother is hoping to open a butchers/cook shop in march in broadway market. http://www.hot-dinners.com/Gastroblog/Latest-news/hill-szrok-master-butcher-cookshop-opening-on-broadway-market

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

About 3 weeks ago i went to the Holborn Dining Room in the new rosewood hotel. It looks absolutely amazing and i was super excited when we sat down but i have never been more underwhelmed upon opening a menu. A honestly look like a generic pubchain menu except with a zero tacked onto the price. The service was pretty iffy and the food was pretty mediocre, my rib of beef tasted crap. It was really tough and had almost no flavour. The price was absolutely astronomical for the quality food and it's the first time i've ever been in a restaurant and noticed the music (and really not in a good way). They were playing poo poo like rhianna far too loudly in a place that looks like this:

On another note my brothers butcher/cook shop has opened on broadway market:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b50db3ce-bac0-11e3-8b15-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2xvOhFHyU
http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/bars/broadway-markets-hottest-new-food-and-drink-spots-9237724.html

Please go and spend all you money there and at the three crowns on old street.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

sweek0 posted:

There are enough beer nerds who are about to read this.
If you're in E1 then Brewdog Shoreditch is very close. I also like Indo near Whitechapel quite a bit.
A bit more of a trek: Camden Town Brewery, Crate, London Fields Brewery, Bricklayer's Arms (Putney), Southampton Arms (Kentish Town) etc. etc.

Holborn whippet has a huge selection too

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

powertoiletduck posted:

The Old Fountain near Old Street (EC1V 9NU) always has 2 or 3 Kernel beers on tap amongst its 15-20 draft beers. About a 5/10 minute walk from your flat. It's my local - great roof terrace when the weather is good.

Then go across the road and eat in my bros place

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Anyone recommend a decent first date type restaurant, preferably Italian in London? Hilariously vague I know. I guess on the cheaper end of London prices.

Where in London?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

therattle posted:

500 on Archway Rd just near the station.

Archway's a bit manky for a first date

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

therattle posted:

True, true, but the restaurant is nice.

The only Italian places in central London i could think of are either expensive or crap.

Yeah i'm not sure what to recommend in terms of italian.

I think i've mentioned it about a million times but i'm a big fan of brasserie zedel. It's on picadilly circus so you can't get any more central, beautiful place and great food and extremely reasonable prices considering it's the same people who do the wolseley plus there's a really nice cocktail bar part of it though that isn't very reasonably priced

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm horribly spoilt having a restaurant and a butchers/cookshop in the family so haven't been elsewhere a huge amount recently. Was the italian suggestion because she likes it or because you just want a slightly romantic place to go?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Skeesix posted:

What's good in terms of restaurants that specialize in offal?

Probably a bit late notice but my brothers new place has a guest chef in tomorrow doing a 5 course offal dinner with 5 matched wines for £40

http://instagram.com/p/vGV9TKE4_W/

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Onion Rings posted:

Your Brother runs Hill and Szrok? I was just at Broadway Market last weekend. Great looking place and my friend bought a Ribeye too cook at home there from the Butcher. Looked great all around.

Yep! Between there and the 3 crowns I'm absurdly spoiled for food in London.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Five guys isn't even as good as an Angus from BK I really don't get the hype.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

I wouldn't go to Tayyabs these days. You'll be queuing forever and the food's not as good as it was.

I'd recommend Rasa in Stoke Newington. Hop on the 73 or 476 from kings cross, it'll take 30 mins or so. There's two opposite each other, one a vegetarian and the other not. Really good and interesting, and Stokey has a nice (gentrified) village feel. The Jolly Butchers is just by there as well, which stocks a good selection of beers.

definitely going to check this out

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

therattle posted:

T5 has a Carluccios. Could do worse. It's not plane side.

That's probably the best best. Its a total shithole for miles around Heathrow.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Most half decent butchers will do haggis these days. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen some in supermarkets, though I don't think I'd eat a supermarket one.

I get it from waitrose and its lovely

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Rimmer posted:

Went to Rita's on Mare Street last week and was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. Very average. Wouldnt go back.

Has anyone got any recommendations for decent value for money butchers/fish mongers in North/East London near Dalston? We've got Ridley Road Market nearby but the quality is questionable. Also got a few upmarket butchers, like Godfrey's, but I cant afford to be spending £30 for to sirloins very often. Would like to find something in between.

If people like cheap and cheerful Turkish, I can highly recommend Umut 2000 in Dalston. The mixed grill and meze for two could probably feed four and for £30 is an absolute bargain.

I'll pimp my brothers place as it's not far from you: http://www.hillandszrok.co.uk/

Tom the butcher used to work at godfrey's so some of the stuff is toward that end of the price spectrum though they do plenty of cheaper cuts of meat

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Not really 'eating' in London but this seems like the best thread for it. Does anyone have recommendations for independent shops where I can pick up decent roasted coffee beans? Ideally round the Holborn area, but most of central would be fine.

Prufrock on leather lane

I think union coffee is around holborn too

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Espresso Base on Bloomsbury Way (down the right side of the church) does Has Bean beans - nice guy and superb coffee.
http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/espresso-base-specialty-coffee-london

Free State does beans too I think.

Yeah he does incredible coffee

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah I'm going to open a pop up called 'the spoon' where you pay £20 for a bacon sarnie and cup of tea with 5 sugars in it and everyone speaks in a fake cockney accent

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I read that this morning. Ouch! biggest hack job i've seen from him in a while

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Thanks guys, I'm no stranger to getting and cooking a nice steak but we're out in London for a day soon and wanted to go somewhere nice. I think we'll go Hawksmoor, the communal table thing at Hill & Szrok will weird her out.

There's seats round the outside if you don't want to sit at the big butchers block

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Tasting menus make me think about The Fat Duck, and if there's a chinese takeaway in the same village that does an absolute roaring trade.

I was pretty full after the fat duck but yeah they can be beautiful but not very filling. Because of this when I went to Cellar de can roca we all decided it would be a good idea for a few chicken nuggets before hand which ended up being a terrible idea because dear god there was so much food

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Kalbi by Exmouth Market does the sunken table BBQ. It's pretty good.

Going to check this out.

Spotted a place called kimchee near Holborn the other day. Korean places are popping up all over the place

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

80% of the reason I'm visiting HK next year is food. :saddowns:

Passing through there in january. Wife has already booked 1 2 star restaurant :dance:. We're going to Lung King Heen until we spotted shark fins on the menu

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

It's called Queso Mantecoso. I had a feeling it would be difficult to find :(

If I can find a decent cheesemongers they might be able to help me find a similar cheese - it was hard but very creamy and buttery.

try la fromagerie in highbury barn

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Apparently you need to keep an eye on your bill as lots of random poo poo you didn't order or get tends to get put on it.

I've been a ton of times and so has my family and no one has ever had this problem

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Finally went to trullo in Highbury on Sunday. It was really loving good but a little spendy. For 3 of us, 3 courses a bottle of wine + coffee was 145 including service.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I'm heading beyond the Wall to the North. Any recommendations in the tiny forest town of Nottynghamm?

Oh man I missed this. Lived in Nottingham for a year and the food was great. Hope you found somewhere nice

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh absolutely. Nottingham's become quite upscale, almost hipstery, bordering on the Shoreditch.

I went to Taco Bell twice.

I lived on broad street so i was at the epicenter, it loving owned.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Best work lunch chain, go!

Gregs

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

pantsfree posted:

Steer clear of Mexican Express near Old Street station. It's like someone who had never eaten or seen a burrito described to them what one was over the phone.

You've got Burger Bear in the magic roundabout and Honest Burger nearby, there's a Bone Daddies opening soon near there too. Friends of Ours for brunch type dishes and v. good coffee though that might be a bit out of your way. I haven't been to Hill and Szrok yet but they have sub £10 lunch options and are meant to be great.

On a side note, I went to Rök Smokehouse in Shoreditch a little while ago for dinner and it was very very tasty.

You should definitely go to Hill and Szrok and spend all your money there

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

So slightly last minute request. Looking to book somewhere for next Friday evening.

It's a ten year (1st wedding) anniversary but due to work looking for places around Highbury/Finsbury Park type area though some travelling acceptable.

Anywhere particularly interesting that might have a table that people have been to recently?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Been to season before which was excellent and we go to bar esteban all the time but will have a look at those other recommendations. thanks chums!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Havent been for a few years but the hope and anchor very near where your staying used to be excellent on a sunday

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dotori has closed down :smith:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Walked passed it earlier today. Sign saying they'd decided to close it as they need a break and there are no plans to reopen in the future.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lunch at dinner. £35 a head at one of the top 10 in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, I guess you mean?

Can heartily recommend, it's probably the best meal I've ever had.

You might need to book a ways in advance though.

Yes. I've been 3 times for lunch since it opened and I've always been able to get a midweek table even with fairly short (<week) notice but maybe I've been lucky.