Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The_Doctor posted:

I had lunch at Yoshino on Shaftesbury Ave. 12 gyoza for £3 is a steal.

Hell yes I'm going there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah I really don't believe that. If a restaurant gave an expensive wine to another table and tried to make me pay I'd have flat out refused and called the police if they kept insisting

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I don't see that it's really that complicated. I hate those communal bottle holders that some restaurants have. It wasn't near us, it was near them.

We were having cocktails, when we said let's have the wine now, they were like you drank it. We said nope. Waiter wrangler appears and says we're making things up. We end up having to buy second bottle. They absolutely would not give in nor acknowledge that they made a mistake.

Edit: As loving lol at calling the police over a) a bottle of wine and b) during what was supposed to be a happy party.

You said it was expensive? Lol if you just roll over and take that

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

I wouldn't threaten to call the police so much as tell them they're welcome to if they want me to pay for the wine.

Yeah this is what I was getting at

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

OP maybe you were in a big group and just don't realise how many glasses are in a bottle?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

For tenpanyaki there's sen nin on upper street. I want a few years ago but i remember it was decent and significantly less expensive then benihana

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I went to Alain Ducasse last month, it was extremely expensive and to be honest I had better food at other places. Had a celebratory dinner at Marcus just recently which was probably the best.

Yeah my friend went to Ducasse at the dorchester with his family and was extremely dissapointed.

Two amazing meals i've had recently:
- The fordwich arms (ok not really london but it was really loving good and an hour from st pancras)
- Pollen street social

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

My local chippie is nice but I’m in South London so probably doesn’t count. I even refer to my commute as ‘going into London’.

Fixed

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Hopper posted:

The time has come. Flying to London on Monday till Thursday. I did some research and have some things I want to do/eat, but I am still looking for tips on these, ideally near Circle or Jubilee line:

- a real pub (no chain stuff) with good pub grub at reasonable prices

- a good place to just stroll and check out street food/low key dining other than Covent garden market/Mayfair/chinatown area

Broadway market on a Saturday is pretty great

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah leather Lane is great, as is nearby exmouth market

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Has anyone else been to Galvin La Chapelle? Took our dad there for his 80th recently. It was loving incredible, not just the insane food and wine but the whole experience. I went once before a number of years ago and I honestly had forgotten how good it was.
Then again I've not been to many really nice restaurants so I could be over egging it. But if anyone is looking for a great place to go for a special occasion it's one to bear in mind. Also not too crazy expensive if you book set menu places.

Yeah me and a friend had a very decadent night out a few months back which involved barafina for first dinner and La chapelle for second dinner and yes absolutely loved it. Thought it was really fantastic food and great service so can definitely second your recommendation.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pollen street social is superb and I'd highly recommend it but might be a little above your budget (was fortunate enough to not see the bill when I went)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Anyone know of a decent spot near Kew Gardens - preferably British/European as it's for my mum and she's very unadventurous

There's a couple of really nice pubs along the north side of the river on stroud on the green. All do perfectly decent pub food and ales and it's a nice walk to get to them.

City barge and the bulls head were my two most frequent haunts when I rowed near there.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I've booked a restaurant! It's for June but oh my god it feels so good to think about being in a packed room with the sound of cutlery on plates.

Edit: should probably say where, Brat.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 23, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Disastrous news everyone, the company that owns Zedel (and the Wolsley and a bunch other restaurants) is filing for insolvency

Oh no!!! The Delaunay was always my treat for breakfast before a major exam or interview and zedel is such a fantastic spot in town.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Badgers Nadgers posted:

Afternoon!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonably priced, reasonably quick lunch near Shaftesbury Avenue on a Saturday?
Any type of cuisine.

Taking my wife to see Les Mis tomorrow (after a 2 year delay due to the pandemic).
I know that given the location we might be spoilt for choice, but we're trying to avoid the standard grab a burger/sandwich and find something a bit more interesting.
TIA.

Brasserie Zedel is my default recommendation for central London. Also look at Wun's Tea house which I absolutely love and another option would be Noble Rot Soho who do a brilliant value set lunch.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oof, prices have all gone up at Zedel. The Formule meal has gone up from £20 to £27!

Yikes, there goes it's position as the default recommendation for a good value meal.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

I'm going to be near Notting Hill for about a week. Looking for cozy & romantic date-night spots. No dietary restrictions, but we are new yorkers so not really interested in common American-esque foods (pizza, mexican, hamberder). Definitely interested in things done particularly well in London that New Yorkers can't seem to get right (e.g. I have yet to find a taco better than 3/5 in NYC, whereas any street cart in LA is fantastic).

I do love some fish n chips. Which are the overrated/tourist-trap spots to avoid? Any well-respected joints?

Fryer's delight might be a good shout for fish and chips if you find yourself in central london, particularly if you visit the british museum. It's about as traditional a chippy as it gets and still frys in beef dripping.

Re: cozy date night spots you've got tons of options near notting hill. On portobello road near the underpass there's a collection of italian and tapas places that are lovely when the weathers good. There's a kricket in white city which is a short trip away and does fantastic indian small plates.

Other places I'd suggest looking up would be
- noble rot
- the ledbury has reopened (£££)
- core (also £££)
- andrew edmunds
- taking a walk along the canal and brunch at daisy green
- Jamavar (again an expensive recommendation but my american friends always love it)
- brasserie zedel/wollesely/delaunay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

distortion park posted:

Recommendations for somewhere fancy, not noisy (white table cloths sort of atmosphere but the table cloths aren't strictly required) with lighter food/set menus? Any cuisine is OK in theory but ideally something approachable. Trying to organise a meal to commemorate my father's mother. Bonus points if there is nice outdoors seating as it'll be in June.

Noble Rot does a great set menu and isn't noisy (actually the Mayfair one can be) but no outdoor seating. Along similar lines would be Andrew Edmunds in Soho.