Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Where on earth is all the cheap greasy Mexican food over here? I heard there was a taco bell somewhere in England but apparently in Manchester. :smith:

Somewhere that does relatively inexpensive takeouts, and hopefully somewhere near central so I can quench my fiending stomach without having to travel too far.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, you want American Mexican which doesn't really exist over here. I lived in the US for 5 years and I miss my Taco Bell infusions, so I know how you feel.

There's a TB waaaay the gently caress out at Lakeside, which seems a particularly daft place for it. There's also a Chipotle on Charing Cross Rd which offers a decent fast foody burrito, if not exactly how Chipotle do it back in the US (refried beans! It needs them!).

Yeah I've had some pretty shady Mexican food here the few times I've found it. Nowhere seems to do enchiladas either. I'll try out chipotle since it's pretty close to where I usually am. Any ideas about restaurants or anything? Or like you said is it all just crappy imitations of American Mexican?

EDIT: On second thoughts after looking at the chipotle menu it doesn't seem too great. Maybe I'm poo poo out of luck. :smith:

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 10, 2012

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, the Chipotle is a sad shadow of its American siblings. But that's the problem, aside from that and the couple of Taco bells that have turned up like some staggeringly lost tourists, the tex-mex you and I want just isn't here. Not even just crappy copies, it barely exists in the first place.

Of course, London being the great gastronomic city it is, you can get proper real Mexican at places like Wahaca, but not the pale imitation you actually desire.

Oh well, I'll somehow have to cope, extremely sadly. At least I know a place that does a drat good Philly cheese steak though. That will satisfy the american hunger at least for a little while. Either way food is just way too expensive in London for what you're getting. I'm going to have to find more time to cook my own food in the future.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Really? I love me a Philly cheesesteak, where's that?

Right next to Camden town station at night times open until around 2am there's a little hole in the wall that sells amazing cheesesteaks for like 3:50. When you're drunk and in camden there isn't much better.

Neris posted:

I dunno man, the £5 falafel from Maoz with the amazing refill salad bar is pretty excellent value for money. You just have to know what you're doing, and you can eat really well.
What sort of prices are you used to?

It's embarassing to admit but I've never really tried falafel more than once or twice. What I was getting at though is that paying 7 or 8 quid for a burrito is really a loving rip-off and it's just a horrible thing to do.