Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

When I lived in London, I used to go to this German style bar place called Katzenjammers all the time with a few friends. They serve typical German sausages and meats, cheeses, etc., along with a great selection of wheat beers sold by the stein. The St. Thomas was always a good one from what I remember, and pretty drat strong. A stein of beer is around 8-9 quid, which is around two pints worth.

Not too bad for price either, with food at around £10 for a hearty dish of meat and sides. It's by no means fine dining, but it has a really cool atmosphere for hanging out with a group of people, and I've never seen it too busy. The kind of place to spend an afternoon drinking beer and having some rich food. I'd usually go for the sausage platter where you can pick from a selection of German sausages, served with fries and sauerkraut.

http://www.katzenjammers.co.uk/

Double Happiness posted:

Also, not sure if it really counts as London but does anyone know any good places to eat in Kingston-Upon-Thames? Just moved here and dying to find somewhere good to eat!

I love Kingston! Grab some fine chicken from Dallas or CFC? I jest. :D

But, yeah, Kingston is a good place to live. Obviously the Rotunda has the regular chain places to eat, but there is a Tony Roma's there, one of only two in England, which can be quite decent if there's a voucher around. They tend to do a lot of BOGOF vouchers so you can eat there quite cheaply if you find one. Again, not amazing, but good if you've got a hankering for a big ol' toasted sandwich, slab of ribs or cheeseburger.

Satori in the top of Bentalls is decent, and I know there's a retro-ish burger diner place up there too, although I've not eaten there. There used to be a Satori sushi conveyer belt style restaurant in the Rotunda which was absolutely amaaaaazing and did an all-you-can-eat on a Monday, but that's gone. :(

There's a pizza place near The Mill that does gigantic 22 inch pizzas. I've never eaten there, but I've heard they're good and fairly priced. Then obviously you have Jamie's but I've never eaten there, and there's GBK, La Tasca, Byron etc. in the same area. Thinking back, I never realised how many drat chain restaurants there are!

yung lambic fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Owithey posted:

West London goon here (Acton), another good place in Kingston is El Peyote. Pretty good Mexican food and excellent Mojitos. I loved Tony Roma's when I was in Japan, but the Kingston one seems a little hit and miss, sometimes the ribs come out super tender, other times really tough.

I used to live on the same road as El Peyote. Walking past there one night I saw them cutting a Mini down in half for the decoration :D Never got to try the food though. It always looked pretty packed on weekend nights though with music and lots of boozing. There's an hilariously bad looking cocktail bar next door too which advertises as 'very smart casual only' :D

Double Happiness posted:

Thanks for the help! Do you have any idea what the pizza place near The Mill is called? :)

This is the one! Took me a little while to remember. My mate bought a pizza from there which was absolutely huuuge! http://www.alfornokingston.co.uk/

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Moving to Uxbridge to study at Brunel, any good places there? Have a friend visiting, I think pub food, pizza or Mexican. Also good take aways, will probably want Chinese before I get shopping in.

Used to work in Uxbridge. Can't recall of anywhere brilliant. Baroosh has an alright selection of beers and OK pub food. And there's a newish burger place near the Chimes that they claim is influenced by 'Man VS. Food', and they do all sorts of challenges... http://www.redironburgers.co.uk/menu.php My colleagues said it was good.

So I'm afraid it's not excellent. But then again, you can jump on the Metropolitan line and head into central. :)

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

We're looking for a new watering hole around London to go to this weekend? What's a good shout? Emphasis on lots of decent beers...

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

drat, you guys are brilliant. Thanks. I'll make a note of these.

We've been frequenting Katzenjammers on our London trips for the last few years, but it's just gotten too drat noisy on a Saturday night. (Plus we're sick of weissbier.)

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Kingston's getting a Five Guys?! Just saw it advertised outside the Odeon.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Agreed. More surprised that they chose to open up in Kingston. I live there and am happy that I can get a better than average burger now!

But MeatMission/Liquor burgers... Fuckin' A. Though I get more excited by their Monkey Fingers.

Has anybody tried Patty & Buns? I got a pretty good burger there the other week.

loving burgers burgers burgers everywhere!

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Does anybody know a central place of information on where I can find out what's opening or trending in London?

I work for a catering company and I've just got a new boss who's asked me to keep an eye out on the London scene. But I'm poor. Really poor. And I can't afford to go out eating in London every week! :'(

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Man, Uxbridge really has nowhere good to ea-

loving YES.

This is brilliant. Although Baroosh was a nice bar. Uxbridge = gets Five Guys, loses its only decent bar. Heh.

I used to spend four hours a day travelling across London to commute there to my last job. Eurgh.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

It's my boss's birthday on Friday and we're planning a lunch. Where should we go?

We work in the City so not too far from there. Dirty food is preferable! And price doesn't matter too much.

Thanks in advance.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

xcdude24 posted:

Hey guys, is Huy Fong brand Sriracha sauce hard to find in London? I was going to try to pick up a few bottles while I'm over there.

My local Longdan's in Kingston sells this brand. They've also got shops in Shoreditch and Elephant & Castle.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Anae posted:

Yeah, go next door to Peckham if you can, where you can take your pick from:

Artusi (modern italian)
Mr Bao (taiwanese - arrive early as no bookings and v popular)
Ganapati (unreal 'proper' indian)
Forza Win (buzzy pasta/italian on long benches, good deals on wednesdays)
Miss Tapas (incredibly good tapas)
Peckham Bazaar ('pan-balkan', very good cooking, something a bit different)
Yada's (Kurdish, absolutely delicious, incredibly reasonable pricing)

I've eaten multiple times at all of these and they never disappoint. Artusi probably the 'fanciest' if that's what you're after, Mr Bao and Peckham Bazaar the most unusual food, Forza Win the trendiest, Ganapati and Miss Tapas just top class examples of that type of food, Yada's for that ramshackle 'hidden gem' feel.

Edit: also Banh Banh if you like Vietnamese, though I haven't been since they've become a 'proper' restaurant, their cooking was always good as a pop-up though.

Edit2: also afterwards go shoot some zombies together at Four Quarters, and go for a cocktail before (or after) at Franks if you want to complete the Peckham checklist. It's intensely popular but the views are genuinely special, no matter how cliché it gets.

This is where I now live. I didn't realise it, but I basically hit the jackpot when I moved here. Aw yeah! Plus you're a 10 minute walk to Camberwell for SIlk Rd, FM Mangal, Nape, and a 20 minute bus journey from awesomeness in Brixton (market, Nanba, PopBrixton for Donastia Social Club and so on.

If you're looking in Lewisham, do check out the Street Feast next to the Lewisham centre on a Saturday evening though.

(All my colleagues are convinced that North London is the place to be. Jeez.)

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

On the topic of Mexican food in London, head to La Chingada (YEP, they called it that) at Surrey Quays. It's a proper hole in the wall (literally), but the tacos are so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Go to Mountain. For the love of god, go to Mountain. One of the finest eateries in London.

The food was insane, smoky small plates, and the wine was delicious.