Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

Xarr posted:

Just a little extra; London Eater has updated their list of London's best, it really is a fine list of where to eat in London.
http://londoneater.com/2012/04/12/my-favourites-april-2012-edition/

With this little extra, you have bankrupted me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Can anyone recommend somewhere decent, but not too expensive to get lunch near the Science Museum (Kensington, I know, big ask...)? Failing that, what's the food like in the museum?

We're meeting some friends there who are making the trip from Nottingham so I figured we'd try for a good lunch.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Decent sushi outside of any major cities seems to be like gold dust. All you really seem to get is Thai/Malaysian places serving the odd bit of sushi and sashimi or Yo Sushi. I suspect it's down to non-city types being intimidated by the 'it's all raw fish' image sushi has unfairly ended up with.

I did find this though: http://www.misugo.co.uk/index.html

Might be worth seeing if they're still there? Seems to have a few decent reviews to it's name on Google.

I hope you manage to find somewhere suitably awesome.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that and that I didn't read this sooner. I feel your pain though, last year my birthday was awful because someone invited someone who was vegan (nothing against them mind), so we could only eat somewhere that served vegan food. Needless to say, I'm not vegan.

Time to make up for the disappointment over Christmas with plenty of food and booze? I can give you my recipe for festive gyoza... :D

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like we should make an OP with "Coming to London? We recommend these places: Hawksmoor, etc" at this point.

I'd like this, thought I think maybe aim it as places in the UK (main cities), but focusing on London. People do sometimes venture out of the capital and I can recommend some great places in the Midlands.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

(I'd be happy in a BrewDog or something but I have a few non-beery friends).

BrewDog do usually stock a selection of excellent wines too. I only mention this as recently one of my friends was dreading going to one as she's not big on beer, after she'd been she raved about how great the wine was there and how the staff could tell you anything/everything about it, just like the beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

Nah, just drinks.

My fussy friends aren't big on wine either due to its headache potential. One of them practically worships cocktails, though.

It's my birthday, damnit, and I want to both please people and actually have them come. This is stressful!

In my head I replaced 'fussy' with something else entirely that's slightly uncomplimentary. Really they should be trying to please you if it's your birthday.

Given the circumstances maybe a Tiki bar? If they don't love Tiki bars then there is something severely wrong with them. Rum fixes everything. There seems to be South London Pacific, Mahiki and The Sugar Cane; I haven't been, but now I want to...

Oh, and happy birthday!