Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I will be stepping off the train at St. Pancras in the second week of May as a rank tourist on a day trip from Paris. Looking for a decent pub with food (or food near it), possibly decent fish & chips.

Yes, I know I couldn't possibly get more touristy. Last time I was in London was 1977, and had many shandies (I was 14) at some frast old hole in the wall as well as my first shwarma at some place in SoHo that was amazing. So I'm a bit dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

therattle posted:

As far as I know the area near St Pancras is a bit of a culinary desert so you might have to go a bit farther. Great Queen Street in Holborn is excellent modern traditional English food (if that makes sense), in Holborn not TOO far from St Pancras. Probably not quite walking distance. The Eagle is the original British gastropub, not too far either. If you don't want to venture too far The Fellow in York Way is apparently quite good. The only good fish and chips I know is in Soho in Berwick Strteet.

Greatly appreciate this, thanks! Will likely hop a cab to these spots. English food is badly misunderstood, underrated and maligned. I'm really looking forward to a pint (or three) and a meal with my family.

My single best memory of London was wandering round on my own one day and getting fish & chips (sprinkled with proper malt vinegar) in newspaper from some hole-in-the-wall chip shop. One of the best meals ever, I remember it well these 35-years on.