Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Oh look - a list of vegetarian restaurants! :sirens: Although Vanilla Blacks appears on it and I'm so terrifically skeptical of that after the reviews I've read.
http://londonist.com/2012/05/londons-best-vegetarian-restaurants.php

Anyone know anything about these places other than Mildreds? I swear 'what's good veggie restaurants' is one of the main things that get asked.

edit: btw what's the best manky Chinese food in soho? I went to one yesterday in desperation after critical mass which was £4.95 for all you can eat but it was pretty dire. Would be good to know one which is still kind of gross greasy takeaway style but a step up from that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

therattle posted:

The rule is never go to buffet restaurants unless it's the Carlton Beach in Cannes. :colbert:

New World is decent for dim sum, and Yauatcha is fantastic - although neither cheap

We were broke, exhausted and starving! I stand by my decision :colbert:
Although one hilarious thing is they didn't "sell" tap water. "We only have still mineral, is that okay?"
I'm so glad I said no because it was loving £3.50 a bottle!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh cool, glad you enjoyed it! Super cheap innit? (You're Hannah, right?)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

50% off in Tapasia "pan-Asian tapas" on Old Compton Street until June 24th.. if anyone wants to eat cheap this weekend!

"This new asian tapas joint is from the same people behind tsunami. Expect dynamite beef skewers, octopus with mango and walnuts, lobster shu mai, and lamb cutlets with kimchi. Soft launch - 50% off food - till June 24." (from Hot Dinners)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Kentish Town/Gospel Oak where it is isn't exactly a shining example of London cuisine though there is some passable stuff, certainly nothing you should go out of your way for. Lovely pub though. Although I can't drink anything they sell because I suck and it's all too strong and sour!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh yeah, best chips in London so I hear. I keep meaning to try it! Plus then you can go for a stroll on the Heath after.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

How far are you willing to go? Finsbury Park? Highbury and Islington? I've had plenty of recommendations for places on Stroud Green Road (a 5m walk from Finsbury Park station) and I know quite a few on Upper Street but as for Tottenham goes... kinda stuck there!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

:confused:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I know - I used to live in Camden but they're all horrific dire places that I would seriously advise avoiding, unless it's that specifically amazing falafel place somewhere deep into the stables area.

I was just baffled a bit someone would recommend it :psyduck: Maybe things have change. (Probably not though.)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

The food in Market is pretty good but high end, and La Caponata is sometimes really quite good though has been disappointing recently.

You can get a drat good gastro-pub style roast in the Lord Stanley up the road, but it's expensive. I've also really enjoyed the food in the Blues Kitchen, but can't vouch for it since I don't eat tex-mex-y style stuff very often.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I would go to Covent Garden, it's really nearby - what sort of thing are you looking for, foodwise?

The Opera Tavern does really lovely tapas, for instance, but it's a bit pricey. There's also Polpo, Spuntino and all those italian-y shabby chic places.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

:siren:
@hotdinners - "Don't forget Polpo Smithfield opens today - 50% off the bill today & tomorrow. Walk-ins only at dinner."

This could be really good (and dead loving cheap) if anyone's in the area - right next to Farringdon! But it'll be busy.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I'd say for Kentish Town, it's gonna stand out a lot as a nice destination restaurant, so I would advise checking it out. The main issue people have with Pizza East, I find, is that they employ (at least in Shoreditch) stuck up hipster twats who relish making you wait for a table when there isn't one. I'm not the only person who's had issues with them either. Maybe it's nicer in K-Town!

Also, I think London has finally, finally gotten a little bored of the whole sloppy-amazing-burger trend. The level of excitement for this place compared to what it would have had last year is kind of tiny. After the small plates trend before this I'm interested to see what's gonna be the next huge deal.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

If you're in North London, the new Kentish Town trifecta of Pizza East, Chicken Shop and Dirty Burger are doing 50% food today because it's opening.

(Not my photo)

edit: Chicken Shop's not open till Tuesday, whoops!

Neris fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 22, 2012

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Tried Seasons in Stroud Green the other night - loads of potential but the food just fell flat, although my miso-glazed aubergine was really wonderful, the blackberry eton mess had far too little meringue, and the starter of beets and goat curd had too little cheese and too many watery beets.

Had a very decent dinner in Kulu Kulu the following day though, although I've still not managed to replace my favourite long-lost central sushi joint, Okawari :sigh:

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

No, I didn't! I have to say I liked the atmosphere a lot though, and the staff were very friendly. It's just a pity that they aaaaaaalmost had it right, only for it all to fail at the final hurdle.

That said, I wouldn't rule out going back there, though would be interested in trying the other restaurants in the area, like that Lebanese place across the street or Cat's (which is Thai I believe..)

I'm still absolutely in love with Vagabonds coffee in the area by the way, I highly recommend it if you're in N4 and need to pass some time or get some much needed caffiene. I go every weekend now (spending way too much money on coffee, the middle-class-20-something-London way)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

^^ Awesome, loads of people ask for fish and chip recommendations and so few people have any to give! I'm terrible for advice on fish and chips as well, the only thing I'm after with my chips is that they are soggy, soaked in salt, vinegar and ketchup and wrapped in paper - then I'm happy.

therattle posted:

I think between my wife and I we go to Vagabond every day! The hot choc is amazing too, as are the warm cookies. The pastries could be better.

Seriously, you guys should look out for me on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Red hair, ear piercings, on my own, probably smoking or reading. Goon coffee shop meet! Say hi to me sometime. I basically go to chat to the locals (and the hot baristas) anyway!

Agreed about the hot chocolate.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

This is pretty cool and looks useful!. I can't try it though since my iphone got stolen out my back pocket in May

"You are craving for pizza but you don't know where to go? London is a big town and now you can easily find your way to proper pizza using your iPhone."

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

:negative:

God I wish I had money to eat out. I still haven't been to Koya, Spuntino, Meat Liquor, etc... it's all gonna be old hat as gently caress soon too.

Edit: Contentwise, I really enjoyed this post on North London local restaurants. Still badly need to go to 500 as well, on top of all the rest. Argh.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh yeah, the Hawkmoor burger is the stuff of legends. Have a good one. Take meaty pictures. In fact everyone should post more food pictures in this thread.

I'm really keen to try out that sushi place, Dotori, in Finsbury Park. Anyone advise for or against?

Spuckuk posted:

Honestly, I live in Highgate, and nearish to The Bull and Last

This is weird but you're not called Andy are you? :psyduck:

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys. I am mental about Korean food as well so I'll have to try to make a point of going there the next time I manage to save up my pennies to eat out!

Spuckuk posted:

Er, I am, yes...

:tinfoil:

Edit: Is this Hanka?

No man, it's Nancy. Well, that's loving random as poo poo, posting in my food thread. :D

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

(Spuckuk, I thankfully got a massive headcold two days later and was justified in working from home, which I rather seriously needed. Maybe see you at the one they've just announced on the 21st in December!)

I tried to go to Koya last night, on a Wednesday at 9pm and there was a loving 30 minute wait. I am SO SICK of this no reservations thing. Honestly. I am never going to eat to try any of the restaurants I want to eat at unless I am fortunate enough to have days off where I can pop in for late lunch or whatever. Ugh.

Anyway, in its place, I had a very pleasant, cheap and speedy (and BYO to boot) dinner in Viet just down the road on Greek Street [I swear Greek Street has so many good restaurants] - I had the bun noodles, which are cold with hot toppings including lovely crunchy spring rolls, my friend had the pho and we also had some rice-paper wrapped pork lovliness, and it was only £19 for both of us. Absolute bargain! Love Vietnamese food.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

This is awesome

(click for big)

Neris fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 15, 2012

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I've not been to Bubbledog but it does sound basically like a ~*zany gimmick~*.

I took this threads advice and have a table at Dotori tonight, so here's hoping! Quite excited at the prospect of Korean food. It's been over a year since i've had anything other than Bibimbap!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Trip report:
Dotori in Finsbury Park was actually loving brilliant, oh man! So busy for a Thursday night, couldn't get a reservation until 9, but it was really good value, nice service, affordabe and the food was absolutely delicious.

We ordered the Set A, Korean and Japanese food, £26, was almost too much food for two. The maki rolls that came,usually as part of a set have cucumber or avocado or something, had actual tuna and salmon, and tobiko. The yukhui bibimbap (raw beef) was delicious and the tempura prawns were MASSIVE.

Only downside was the poor amount of beef, I think, in the beef noodles, but honestly, everything was delicious. Great place, really recommend it.

(Very yellow lights in there though!)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Oh poo poo, this reminds me. I went The Cube Electrolux thing for a work lunch (the most amazing treat in the world) the other day and it was ASTOUNDING. This extrodinary glass building shoved on the side of the Royal Festival Hall looking over the river. Shame the weather was pissing it down.

Look at the menu!

Apparently it's worth £175 a head for a lunch like this. The chef kept coming out and talking us through the food, the wines were matched, the waiter would crouch and explain to us all why the tastes suited one another and why.

The best part was easily the salmon, my god. I spent forever working my way through that beautiful thing.

(Problem with a six course taster menu with matching wines and champagne on arrival is by the time you get to pudding you're so lashed you can't really taste it though.)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

peanut- posted:

Also, from reading through the last couple of pages this thread is like a Kentish Town goons convention.

Lol, this amuses me so deeply. Pint in the Torriano? (Best local in the area, imo.)

I haven't been to chicken shop but some diehard Nandos devotees (yes, they exist) in my office were MASSIVELY unimpressed. Probably says more in favour of Chicken Shop though, tbh. Sounds like I might have to give it a shot.

I went to Wigwambam last night for the opening thing, on top of the Queen of Hoxton in Shoreditch. Very very high wanker % but INSANELY good food - pulled pork and roast venison and boar sausage in a bap with really lush gravy (£4) in a giant teepee on top of a pub, with smoke and firepits and smores and a lovely view and lots of covered areas to smoke. Really cool.

I recommend the hot buttered rum, in particular. Apparently they're going to be doing hot chocolate with absinthe too (none on offer yesterday) though steer clear of the lemon whiskey fudge thing, tastes like lemsip.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Pretty daycent post on Mexican food in London here. As of yet, I'm not convinced by anything I've tried so far, but I think there's a good chance I simply don't like Mexican.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I mentally confuse that with the Slug & Lettuce all the drat time. I was wondering why people were hyping such a terrible chain of bars!

Also I have to admit I am just fine with Nandos, as I'm just fine with Wagamamas and any other medium-level chain. I like their peri peri salt and their free-for-all policy on condiments :ohdear:

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I honestly think for Bibimbap, 'Bibimbap' on Greek street in Soho, for £6.95 does a loving GREAT beef bulgogi or chilli chicken. Honestly, I go there so often it's ridiculous.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I'm probably going to make an effort to swing by there for a cocktail now, thanks guys! Seems cool.

By the way, this is either quite brilliant or utterly stupid. Someone should go and report back. I love DJ Yoda though.

quote:

World famous spinner DJ Yoda will be releasing his brand new album this month. Aptly titled Chop Suey, the British mixmaster will be celebrating the release with a special week long take over of Dumplings Legend restaurant in London's Chinatown.

From Monday 5 November, Dumplings Legend will feature an exclusive DJ Yoda menu for three weeks with a range of special edition dishes, each one inspired by a different track featured on Chop Suey. “Happy”, collaboration with Boy George, is represented by Boy George's Karma Tofu Vegetarian Platter while “Sega Rip” featuring Scroobius Pip is recreated as Scroobius Pork Belly. After sampling the range of culinary delights on offer, diners can also purchase Yoda's new album.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

He's playing in the Forum on saturday.

And that menu concept is so loving bizarre, that I'm going to do my best to get down and eat it.

When are you thinking of going? I might join you seeing as we were caravan buddies already!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Caravan as in the seriously over rated and over priced breakfast place on exmouth market? Give me The greasy spoon on the corner any day.

No, it's actually a literal caravan in a holiday park at a music festival called Bangface, hahaha. I had no idea Spuckuk was a goon, let alone a goon who would post in my GWS thread :eng101:

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

:psyduck: You ATE at Bangface???

Probably cannot do Saturday as I have someone over, unfortunately, but please do post a trip report of DJ Yoda food. It sounds mad.

Tried out the new Pizza East up the road in Kentish Town with my sister. Last time I went was in Shoreditch in early 2009 and I wasn't impressed - tiny portions, and not very flavoursome. This one has a different menu, and I was much happier this time with the size and taste of the pizzas - lovely crust. (I had anchovies and capers, she had proscuitto and ricotta I forgot the name of. )

Also, this is going to sound impossibly demanding, BUT, are there any decent mid-range central-ish restaurants that you can more or less fairly solidly walk into (or call ahead by 20 minutes) on a Saturday night with a group of four or five without booking? I have to look after some people this weekend but it's being hard to get anyone to commit to booking anything, and the last thing I want is to lead five exhausted people from Greek Street to Frith Street to Wardour Street finding nothing...Hix??? Wright brothers? I don't know.

edit: :siren: 50% off ramen for the soft launch ( 7/11 - 17/11) at Shoryu Ramen on Regent Street, 11am-7pm . Looks good!

Neris fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 8, 2012

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Arianna II is really popular as a small neighbourhood restaurant, though I haven't been.

Also MsMarmiteLover's underground restaurant is around there - you should check it out. Again, I haven't been but I love the social aspect of supper clubs!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Laminator posted:

I'm in London for about another week or so. Been reading through this thread but it's hard to keep track of all the good stuff when you have only a basic understanding of the different areas of London... I'm staying in East London near Liverpool Street station - any good places in this area?

We're going to Hyde Park tomorrow evening, are there any good fish and chips near there? Or any other good and reasonably cheap (less than £15 ideally) near there?

Don't restrict yourself to one part of London depending on where your hotel is. A local wouldn't do it - you have the entire city at your feet thanks to the tube and busses so definitely head out and see different parts of London anyway.

What sort of food do you like or are interested in trying? There's good everything, really, but are you limited by your budget?

Finally as for the fish and chips thing, people ask in this thread all the time about it and it's not something you can really suggest. The thing you're mostly looking for is a manky-looking place that says FISH BAR or something above it, (not chicken) where you drunkenly buy a soggy mass of chips and eat them in the rain with a wooden fork while drunk.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Bone Daddies is INSANE popular right now so I'd imagine it's drat good, because the entire foodie scene in London is crazy for it.

I imagine it's pretty hard to get a table, I wandered past about two weeks ago on a Tuesday evening or something and there was a shitload of people queuing in really freezing weather.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I went to Leong's Legends last night on Macclesfield Street - is this the one that was recommended in the thread? Ordered the wind dried turnip, which was delicious, but also the "casket" from the dimsum menu, which sounded interesting but didn't do it for me, plus some tofu and aubergine.

Mainly though, they forgot to make our loving seafood dumplings and service was terrible. In retrospect, I could have ordered better but ugh :sigh:

Failure! I might console myself with a visit to Dirty Burger at lunch.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Ooh, I'd definitely suggest Le Mercury in Angel. Cheap, but really nice 'date' atmosphere, and the food is totally acceptable. Check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

That's a heap of great coffee place suggestions - thanks guys. I'll try to update the OP with that tonight!