Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
On pubs:
I loved my meal at the Harwood Arms, it's the first (only?) pub in London with a star, and whilst there may be others also worthy of one, I'd say it is deserving of this status.
However, you might have problems getting a booking in February now, unless you're happy with a very early/late sitting.

Back up suggestions would be Anchor and Hope near Waterloo
http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/82726/Anchor_and_Hope
(No reservations except Sundays so just turn up and wait for a table).

Or, I consider the Prince of Wales in Putney a bit of a hidden gem.
http://www.princeofwalesputney.co.uk/
I think their chef worked at the Harwood Arms. Have had 3 great meals there, from a casual lunch of scotch eggs and shared starters, to a dinner with grouse.

On other stuff:
Glad to see some love for Opera Tavern. I love that place, sitting at the bar taking time over a few dishes.

I went to The Ledbury recently and have to concur with many ratings/reviews I've seen. The food is absolutely fantastic. We went all out on the tasting menu, the service was incredibly friendly and welcoming, which might surprise given the location. They gave me an extra dessert for free (quite common I think but still appreciated!), and the wine options are reasonable. A £30 bottle did the job. £270 all in for two for a special meal was worth it in my opinion. The "cheese on toast" with truffle was just divine.
It contrasted hugely with Locanda Locatelli where we had dined a couple of weeks earlier, found the service unfriendly, snooty, and the food nothing memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
To add to the above, also near St Johns is North Road, which is worth considering for scandanavian cuisine, although it always seems to be criminally empty so maybe not good for atmosphere.
I also thought the Modern Pantry was pretty good on my recent visit.
It is quite dead round there on the weekend though.

But my reason for posting is this place:
http://tetsusushi.co.uk/
Tucked down Jerusalem Passage next to Modern Pantry is a new sushi restaurant. It's been open 6 weeks now and so far I haven't seen it in any papers or getting too much attention, but I suspect that may change.

I've not been to Japan (one day...) but this is presumably one of the most authentic places in the country.

The restaurant seats only 7 people! There are two tables at the front but these are for people waiting to be seated at the bar.
It's a husband and wife team - the chef previously worked at Nobu - and they were both very welcoming.

We had the 9 nigiri + 1 maki roll menu (£38 a head). I don't have much high end sushi experience to compare to but I thought it was very good. It was also a great experience watching the chef work the fish, with the occasional blowtorch where required :)

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has been, or if you like the sound of it, give it a go soon as I imagine they could become quite busy...

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

theunderwaterbear posted:

Hi thread. I'm going to be staying in a hotel on the south bank kind of between Clapham junction and Battersea park. Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants within walking distance? Or otherwise easily got to that would be worth the trip? Vege-pesce-tarian friendly please, and not too dear (say £20 a main course max?).

If you want to walk somewhere with a few options Battersea Rise / Northcote Road is probably your best bet. Lola Rojo mentioned above is a modern Spanish which won Gordon Ramsay's best local Spanish restaurant a couple of years back.
I'm sure it's not the best Spanish in London but it's not bad.

Other options in that area include Entree which does a pretty good set menu, I think it's £20/£24 for 2/3 courses.
http://www.entreebattersea.co.uk/

A few doors down is the sister to the popular Terroirs, called Soif. It's as much a wine bar and I didn't think the food was particularly great but it has good reviews and also a few seats outside if that's of interest.
http://terroirswinebar.com/news.htm

There's a few places along the river, probably heading West is better than East. The Ship pub by Wandsworth Bridge is popular for food but it's usually heaving with pretentious toffs so I haven't eaten there.
My go to place is the Prince of Wales pub in Putney which is a bit of a walk ~45mins but I like the fact it's not too busy and does good food.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

sweek0 posted:

Oh yeah do go to the Ship for their Scotch eggs but avoid the rest of the clientele. The staff there are nice though.

The White Horse on Parsons Green is a nice pub with great beers as well, but again full of toffs.

This reminded me of The Sands End pub. It came up when I searched top scotch eggs in London on Google and it's only a short walk for me. It was indeed good and I must get back there some time. Prince of Wales also do good (chorizo) scotch eggs.
So yeah I'd recommend this instead of The Ship.
http://www.thesandsend.co.uk

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

Vlex posted:

I have a few hours to kill waiting for a train in Clapham junction next week. Late afternoon/early evening. Does anyone know any decent (read: not 'spoons) pubs or bars within shambling distance of the platform?

Since I live nearby, some suggestions. Not sure if food was a factor...
If you turn right and walk up St Johns Hill you'll find Powderkeg Diplomacy. A fairly new bar, part of a small group who also run Lost Angel in Battersea. It's a prohibition era bar, cocktails and not bad bar snacks.
You'll also have passed the Plough getting there, recently refit and nice enough to sit and kill a couple of hours but I didn't like the food.

As mentioned above, Northcote Road is probably your best bet, but you may want to turn left up Battersea Rise just before Northcote Road and take a look at Soif, sister to the well known and popular Terroirs near Trafalgar Square. Can get busy but again offers some bar snacks.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
I really need to post here more often!

Victoria is short on decent places to eat, Picante is good for a Mexican lunch as the queues testify. Think it's been mentioned before.

Street places have been well publicised in the past year or two but they're still relatively few and far between. South bank tends to have some other than Pitt Cue especially on Summer, but things like Big Apple Hot Dog near Old St you could easily walk past or dismiss on appearances.

Some foodie news I've read recently that people might find find interesting:
- Shake Shack (extremely popular New York burger joint) is coming to Covent Garden this year, Spring I think. Looking forward to a peanut butter milkshake :)
- Jason Atherton is looking to open a second place that will be more affordable than Pollen Street.

Have just booked Hedone in Chiswick (first visit) and The Harwood Arms (second visit, loved the first time) for the girlfriend's birthday :) Always nice to have a reason to splurge on food! Will report back here after the event.

I'd like to get to Dabbous this year but the popularity of some restaurants these days is insane.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
If anyone's interested, some thoughts on my recent meals...

Hedone, Chiswick. This is a Michelin starred place that's only been open a couple of years. I think the head chef was a food blogger/amateur chef prior to this.
It reminded me a bit of noma, perhaps not surprisingly given it's a Scandinavian restaurant. Bare wooden tables, brick walls, open kitchen etc.
It was the girlfriend's birthday so we went for the £85 a head "carte blanche" menu. This is an unseen menu where the chef chooses the dishes.
There were some good and unusual dishes including a nice big oyster, and "seaweed custard". Things seem to veer more on the seafood and fruit side of things. Quite light desserts including a decent apple mille feuille.
If you're looking to try something a bit different at the high end, this isn't a bad option. Although for the cost I'd recommend other tasting menus first such as The Ledbury and Pied a Terre.

The Harwood Arms, Fulham. I wanted to get back here since the first visit 2/3 years ago. It didn't disappoint. Everything just has great flavour (I had partridge then pheasant). It's a relaxed environment, describing itself as a pub although I wouldn't want to stand around in there having a beer, it's a restaurant really.
They even brought us both a free additional dessert after a misunderstanding with the side orders :)

The Malt House, Fulham. Having been to the Fox and Grapes in Wimbledon and being completely unimpressed, I wasn't sure what to expect of Claude Bosi's second pub.
The food was pretty good overall. Beetroot salad followed by rabbit pie, but the winner was malted ice cream with salted caramel :D The girlfriend had a chocolate delice with bay leaf ice cream, which was interesting in it being almost savoury. At least they're offering slightly unusual things.
If you're in the area looking for somewhere I'd recommend stopping by.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

iMop posted:

Thanks for the recommendation on the Malt House -- I got a load of marketing material that it was opening, but have spent so much time in the US recently that I've missed going. Did you need a reservation?

We did book but only a few days before. It was a Saturday night and looked full - they removed a couple having a drink from our table when we arrived. I imagine midweek you'd have no problem turning up. If you're not local, best to book just in case.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Quick trip report. Was taken to the River Cafe by the girlfriend for my birthday. Have wanted to go there for a while but never made the effort.
It's a well oiled machine, one big room with open kitchen results in a buzzing atmosphere on a Friday night.
The food was generally good (antipasti of crab, another of buffalo mozzarella), and very good (slow cooked veal with lentils - the veal was sublime). The spatchcock pigeon main seemed to lack depth. Roasted almond ice cream was as creamy, thick and luxurious as you'd expect of gelato in a place like this.
My biggest problem with this, and other high end Italians I've tried in London, is the prices. I'm not sure why they all seem to insist on charging around £15 for anitpasti and over £30 for the mains.
Still if money is not the main factor, I'd certainly recommend it, especially in the Summer when the tables are moved outside.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
A couple of SW reviews...
Lamberts in Balham last night turned out well. Decent prices £6-9 starters, £15-19 mains) and some good choice. Pigeon Wellington was tasty with decent pastry although the concept doesn't really work since a pigeon breast is too small to hold that sort of shape! Chocolate fondant was very good but the accompanying stout ice cream was very average and lacking the flavour I expected.

Took a walk to Brixton today and having never eaten in the market I think I lucked out. Queues at Franco Manca and Honest Burgers led us to take a seat at The Joint.
WOW. They only offer pulled pork or slow cooked chicken, both in a bun or wrap, and about 5 sides. But that's fine because it was the best pulled pork I've ever had. And the buns are vanilla and olive infused brioche made on site. It was fantastic! And it's bring your own. I highly recommend checking it out.

Edit. This thread needs more photos. Tell me you don't want to try this!:

Muga fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 25, 2013

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
I thought Brindisa's pork belly was pretty good.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Heads up, Shake Shack opens in Covent Garden on the 5th July. I'll be heading there for a peanut butter milk shake!

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

angelicism posted:

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting to Shack Shack at, like, 7 or 8am on Friday to grab a burger before I head into work. Anyone have even remote insight as to whether there will be a line up, and how bad? Maybe I'm the only one jumping the gun?

Shake Shack opens at 10am on Friday.
I'm a bit concerned about the queue in the evening, it's had a lot of press coverage recently. Still intend to pop down though.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

angelicism posted:

You don't think there will be any morning lineup at all?

\o/

There may be, but I was more pointing out the fact that it doesn't open until 10am so you can't go there at 7 or 8am :)
Having said that, my girlfriend works in Covent Garden and saw people with Shake Shack food today, they gave out vouchers to local companies, so anyone working in that area might want to try their luck tomorrow, you never know they might let you in!

Regarding Picante, I'm also a Victoria goon, seems there's a few of us! Was there today for the first time since it reopened - if you don't know, the flat above them let their bath overflow and ruined the whole restaurant, particularly the basement kitchen :( I was chatting to the owner a couple of weeks back. They run on a small margin and obviously rely on the lunch time trade, so make sure you go regularly and support them!

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
There is only one pub in Victoria as far as I'm concerned. Cask. Monthly guest breweries plus a decent burger.
OK it's kind of in Pimlico but well worth the walk.

Actually there's two pubs I frequent since we have a subsidised bar in the office. £1.50 a beer, yes please :)

I might as well add a recent review since I'm posting.
Bonnie Gull just north of Oxford Street is recommended if you want some seafood. Several oysters plus lovely fresh razor clams then we shared four starters, salmon tartare, blowtorched mackarel and some other bits, all nicely cooked and flavoured.
They also did a surprisingly fantastic chocolate brownie.
And it's just round the corner from The Green Man, a decent ale/cider pub.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Bread and Wine is not quite the same as the main St John restaurant near Smithfield. It sounds a bit more geared towards breakfast and lunch and a casual snack whereas St Johns is well regarded for dinner. I haven't actually been to Bread and Wine though.

I need a recommendation in a similar area... anywhere to grab a quick lunch near Old Broad St, basically between Bank and Liverpool St stations?

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Cask is a good option for amazing beer variety and reasonable noise levels. Food is limited to (pretty good) burgers though. It's also in a relatively boring area.

Speaking of burgers I finally got round to Shake Shack last night. Aside from the peanut butter milkshake which I love, I couldn't recommend it. It came out to £15 for a burger, fries and shake. There's better options around for that price.

Now for a high end recommendation
- Restaurant Story near Tower Bridge. Went last Saturday for the ten course £75 tasting menu. Five amuse bouches including a crispy cod skin, and a savoury Oreo lookalike came relentlessly, then some very fresh and creative dishes. I'd wager this is the closest thing to noma in London (I think I said that about Hedone but Story is better), Tom Sellers did a stint there and it shows.
Ignore the slightly pretentious "bring a book that tells your personal story" aspect, the service was great, the setting minimal and cosy. I'm not surprised to see they have been awarded a Michelin star today after only six months service!

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Yeah, Rolled Cabbage if your Mum hasn't been to the Ledbury I'd recommend there. There's also Operea Tavern and Salt Yard in the same family as Dehesa but they could be too similar.

Perhaps also consider Galvin at Windows which tends to slip under the radar but I've found good for celebrations. If there's enough of you in the group you can get one of the two tables right by the Hyde Park window view.

Took the other half to Flesh and Buns. Is there a restaurant with worse acoustics? Unbelievably loud, I'd hate to be sat on the central communal table and try to have a conversation. The food was quite good though. Even the basic asparagus starter was nicely charcoaled for that burnt taste.
Then went to The Greenhouse as part of our post engagement celebrations. Typical Mayfair upper end, pricey but the grouse was superb and every dish had flashes of Michelin style creativity. Arnaud Bignon even came out to personally wish us congratulations. With less top chefs even attending their kitchens these days this was a nice touch. Philip Howard was on the next table too :D

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Although Hedone is in Chiswick - not exactly the sticks :) - it's very accessible on the tube and if you fancy it then why not go for it. There's not a lot of similar Scandinavian options that I know of. Restaurant Story is one of them which I thoroughly enjoyed recently but you're unlikely to get a table.
It's a shame North Road closed down, that place was great but no one seemed to know about it and/or want to eat there.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Santa Maria is a fair old walk from CJ. But it did win Gordon Ramsay's best local steak on TV a few years back so I assume it's decent.
The only other option I can think of is La Pampa grill which is much closer and also on the corner of Northcote Rd / Battersea Rise where you have plenty of pubs and other restaurants if you do want alternatives. I've only been there years ago and it was ok but I don't think it's going to wow you. They also had the Top Gun sound track on very loud so make of that what you will :D

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Went to Ollie Dabbous' new (no reservations) joint The Barnyard on Charlotte Street today.
http://www.barnyard-london.com

It's a brief menu of small plates. Suckling pig with a little bowl of celeriac; beef on toast; crispy chicken wings.
It was simple but tasty food executed very well, and definitely worth trying. The popcorn ice cream with smoked fudge sauce finished things off nicely :)

Of course the problem with these places is the waiting list starts to build from about 6:30 each night. It's relatively under the radar currently so if you fancy it I'd say try and get along soon before all the critics reviews come out. Or try a Sunday lunch - it was half empty at all times today.

Edit: And it had a five star review in today's Time Out so the queues will be getting worse...

Muga fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 1, 2014

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
You've got a big choice within 10-15 mins walk round there. The aforementioned Barnyard or many other places on Charlotte Street - Roka for example? Pied a Terre for fine dining.
I quite like Hare and Tortoise which has a place in the Bloomsbury Centre. There's also Burger and Shake if you're looking for a casual burger place.
Lots of choice! Maybe narrow down to a budget or some preferred cuisines.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
I find the hot dinners new restaurants provides a nice brief summary and they're all listed on one page for easy scanning

http://www.hot-dinners.com/Features/Articles/new-and-recently-opened-london-restaurants

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
There seem to be some decent offers around due to the tube strike. I would highly recommend Opera Tavern and their sister restaurants, half price is a steal! No idea if they have tables available. Last time I went to Opera Tavern it was no reservations so you might be able to still just turn up tomorrow.

http://www.hot-dinners.com/Gastroblog/Latest-news/take-advantage-of-the-tube-strike-to-grab-a-seat-at-london-s-best-restaurants

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
I had a nice area in The Swan At The Globe for a birthday. They did nice pizzas great for sharing round a big group.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to eat near South Kensington station? No particular style, the guy I'm going with loves all food.

Have you been to Brindisa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Opera Tavern is good for sharing if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.