Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Le Mercury is popular with locals though I only went a few times. Good neighbourhood joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Not London but has anyone here tried to get a table at Noma?

Ask Dane or HappyHat in the general chat thread

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

A friend of mine asked for healthy vege/lunch type places in East London around Shoreditch/Aldgate but I don't know that area - any tips? Thinking good falafel, light vietnamese, sandwiches, etc.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Not really London but I finally got down to Terre a Terre in Brighton. loving amazing, every single thing :) I need grana padana crusted fried green olives every day.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Going to Medlar in Chelsea in a few weeks for lunch. Pretty excited :) Weird name though.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Or for a nicer (and better IMO) curry, Rasa. There's one just off Oxford St.

Edit: whoops - not near Aldgate. Welp.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 16, 2012

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The one on Dering St?? D:

There was one further north near Goodge St that got converted I think..

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Da Mario "princess diana" italian over on Gloucester Rd is pretty decent.
http://www.damario.co.uk/

Khob Khun thai a few doors up is good too. Heavy on the chilli.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Medlar was really good. I don't even know what I ate but it was delicious. £30 prix fixe + wine. The wine is pretty heavily marked up so a long boozy lunch would be very expensive but with a bottle between four it worked out nicely.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

theunderwaterbear posted:

Hi thread. I'm going to be staying in a hotel on the south bank kind of between Clapham junction and Battersea park. Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants within walking distance? Or otherwise easily got to that would be worth the trip? Vege-pesce-tarian friendly please, and not too dear (say £20 a main course max?).

Post code? Brew cafe, Donna Margherita, Tom Ilic, Lola Rojo, Drafthouse, Medlar are in the neighbourhood.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

It's very good in my opinion, and not just the pizzas.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

A friend of mine raves about Kerbisher & Malt but I haven't been.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Bleh, all these all the meat all the time faux speakeasy cheap American diner food made spendy pits can gently caress right off. Koya however is excellent :)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

:mad: Worst service ever at Dishoom today. Table for six booked well in advance. We were seated at the back of the gloomy downstairs room, next to the toilets (when the restaurant was less than half full). Ignored for long periods of time, waiters exchanged and confused, ordering tablet thingy failed, half the order scribbled on one of our table napkins then random dishes arrived before the order was even sent to the kitchen (so probably a mistake) then ordered dishes appear intermittently with no explanation, again abandoned by waiter, powerful gusts of urinal soap stench from the toilets creating a delightful medley with the biryani and chai. Declined desert and again left to wilt. Finally got the bill, decided to pass on the 12.5% discretionary tip, waiter got pissed off and we fled. gently caress that.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Right, I'm going to get one. I dig their caramelized onion asparagus quiches too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

That Hare & Tortoise is pretty rubbish. Can't believe people queue for it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Just wander down Northcote Rd south of the station til you hit something. If nothing else you'll wind up at The Drafthouse which isn't awful.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Past the plough is ben's canteen. Have a beer bloody mary.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I will fight you. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get a table there on the weekend though and service is uneven.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Enjoy! I went last night.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Ah, glad you enjoyed it. It wasn't my thing at all. Much preferred the pre-dinner tapas at Fernandez & Wells :)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Beware spontaneously combusting laundry! I was just now looking to book Terre a Terre in Brighton for an occasion and it turns out their whole kitchen burned out a few weeks ago. They're closed until the new year :( The best veg restaurant I've ever been to.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Birdhouse in Clapham Junction is my new fave. Impeccable.

Brew on Northcote Rd also good but frequently rammed.

Nude on soho square (currently obscured by road construction poor bastards)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

peanut- posted:

My favourites:

- Lantana. Well known and the menu hasn't changed much, but I think indisputably the best. Every time I go I'm amazed by how good the breakfast is. Apparently they've opened a new branch near Old St called Salvation Jane?

- Workshop (formerly St Ali) on Clerkenwell Road. Worth going purely for the baked eggs.

Yep Salvation Jane is great - same Lantana menu, no queue. Workshop is a treat.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Raffles posted:

Is it a good experience or just a bit wanky and funded by posers with more money than sense?

They're selling exclusivity. Sounds horrid.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I really enjoyed Medlar in Chelsea last year. Would go back in a heartbeat.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The Old Brewery is pretty excellent albeit at the spendy end.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Coffee app sent me to "Leila's Shop" in shoreditch on Sunday, we arrived just before closing and just had hot drinks and a (fantastic) brownie but the menu intrigues me with items liek "fried egg & sage" and people were eating loving delicious lookin stuff like rye bread with a slab of gruyere and egg on top. Gotta go back there......

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Bad luck. On the other hand you got a sammich. Win. FWIW I will vouch for steak being a stand up goon and not likely to axe murderer anyone.

Went to Ozone for brunch today. It's a stones throw from Salvation Jane near Old St roundabout but different menu and setup. Seems to be mostly a roastery with a cafe built up around it. Beans were spilling out into the cooling tray while we ate. Coffee quality goes without saying, pancakes were double sided like a huge flat abelskiver with figs and I'm right this minute attempting to replicate the pistachio raspberry muffins. Good place.

http://www.ozonecoffee.co.uk/cafe-menu

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Eat at fujiyama, franco manca, federation be happy? I dunno vOv

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I really like Pizza East - interesting flavours and huge airy crust. Everything else on the menu is good too. But I live a few blocks from Donna Margherita so my usual fix is Neapolitan.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Had Shoryu Ramen on Regent St last night. Very very good - only one vege thing on the menu but I'm not complaining. Get the pickled mustard leaves on top.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Think they're still doing 50% off today at the new soho popup so any goons not put off by the Maggie festivities should go down today.

Yeah we would have gone to the soho popup to save some bux but it's on a reduced menu that's all meats.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

How long are you staying for Wiggles? Want to stay central or willing to explore a bit?

Take the victoria line down to Brixton for Franco Manca pizza and walk around the market(s)

Overground to Hackney Wick for Counter Cafe coffee & brunch. Canal and olympic stadium to the East, Victoria Park (especially nice in summer) to the West.

Walk south from Knightsbridge to Saatchi Gallery for a headfuck then gelato out front or cafe underneath. A few blocks west of there is the V&A, Natural History, and Science museums. Drink wine, coffee, eat peppers, manchego, cake, pig meats at Fernandez & Wells nearby at South Kensington. The Sampler is around the corner for additional wining.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

If you're looking forward to a particular exhibition, best to book tickets ahead of time. Pompeii in particular sometimes has a small allocation released but otherwise is sold out weeks in advance.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Rasa (Oxford St or Stoke Newington) for curry. Fernandez & Wells in South Ken for coffee / wine / nibbles. Loads of places central for good coffee.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

TorpedoFish posted:

2. Microbrews. Preferably, a bar/pub with a wide selection of micro/craft brews and a kitchen that can serve something both tasty and meat-free. If I can't have both, I'll take a place where I can try at least a couple unconventional new beers.

Probably a tonne of places I don't know about but Brewdog is a good standby. They have lots of other beers in addition to their own (excellent) line up. The Camden branch is less rammed so better for food. The vege pizza option is interesting (in a good way) or there's plenty nearby eg Hache. Also Craft Beer Co in Angel has an excellent selection of beers but not sure about food (again, plenty of options nearby).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Anyone been to The Shed near Notting Hill Gate? Stumbled in late on a Wednesday night recently and had a drink since the whole place was booked for dining. Not bad for being open 6 months. Must be doing something right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Yep hache burgers are good. They have kind of a purist ethos so I reckon you get a taster burg by loading it up with all the extras. Falafel stilton fried egg burger? Hell yes.