Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I really don't think we want to start another tipping discussion on SA. Not even about UK-specific tipping.

I went to 8 Hoxton Square this week and it was pretty excellent. Really simple meals, not much fuss, lovely service and great wine at reasonable prices. So yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Can anyone suggest somewhere good for cocktails near bank?

Two caveats: Partner will be coming straight from Eurogamers (and will look like it) and I am gimpy so nowhere that is standing room or has horrible furniture.

Went to Brasserie Zedel bar a few weeks ago and it was full of oligarchs on a stag night (not sure why they'd escaped their city/kennsington prison, but hey...), their perfect manhatten is perfect though.
Merchant House, which is expensive but has amazing rum and gin. I also really like the gin bar in the Barbican. A little further afield: Hawksmoor in Spitalfields (their full fat old fashionends are amazing) or Happiness Forgets in Hoxton.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

ineptmule posted:

Koya is very good but I also really like Tonkotsu, just down the road. It's not Japanese-run but it is authentic and excellent. Ramen rather than Udon and the menu is smaller, but it tastes awesome.

Tonkotsu is really drat good! Really like their Haggerston restaurant

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Go to Chick n' Sours. Just go, and eat all of it. Make sure you get the sticky wings.

Also somehow just had free lunch at Dishoom after they messed up our order.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
I've only been to the Old Street Lantana but had a really nice brunch there. Their avo on sourdough is excellent and the coffee is pretty good.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I read that this morning. Ouch! biggest hack job i've seen from him in a while

It's not quite up there with his Beast review, but it's good.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
You've got some good suggestions already. I'd also add Dishoom to that list for good Indian food. http://www.dishoom.com/covent-garden/

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Noooo OP noooooo! I went there twice in the first two weeks of opening and still had to queue up before opening time. Don't tell people about it or I'll never get to go back!
It's just excellent. And I don't even like fried chicken.

I;ve walked and have gotten a table no problem. To be fair I've only been there late, after 21.30.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

kim jong-illin posted:

Other breakfast/brunch suggestions - Long White Cloud in Hoxton, Counter Cafe in Hackney Wick (my personal recommendation - the vegetarian breakfast is stunning), Workshop in Clerkenwell (their Aeropressed coffee is outstanding, the French toast fantastic), St John in Spitalfields (just get a bacon sandwich, they do insane things to pigs), Caravan in Exmouth Market, and Kopapa in Seven Dials (pricer than all the other recommendations)

Went to Counter Cafe and had that veggie breakfast yesterday - thanks for the recommendation! Excellent food, amazing poached eggs, great coffee, and really nice vibe.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I'm going on a first date tomorrow evening in south London. I was recommended a pub called Cable near Oval, which looks cute, but if it goes well and we want to grab a bite to eat or something afterward are there any places anyone would recommend between Oval and Tooting Bec (so Vauxhall, Brixton, Clapham, etc all fine) which is

- casual but not takeaway casual
- good value but not cheap
- interesting and cool but not over the top risky/inaccessible for a person whose food preferences I know nothing about

I don't know, anything worthwhile. Very open to suggestions. If there's some must-visit pub that you would recommend over Cable in basically all of south London for a first date (talkable volume level) I'd also be interested to hear.

Seven at Brixton in Brixton Village, or one of the many other places around there really, would work well for a first date.

http://www.sevenatbrixton.com/

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

pointsofdata posted:

The Tiffin Tin is by far my favourite Indian delivery.

Any other suggestions?

Bombay Munch in Dalston is excellent if you happen to be near here. And not greasy at all.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 30, 2015

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Go to Hoppers on Frith Street, which is the new place by the Ghymkana team. Deal with the fact that you'll have to wait for a table and can't reserve. Order one of everything of their amazing Sri Lankan menu and one of their Colombo gin and tonics. Thank me later.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

reality_groove posted:

Any recommendations for a restaurant in Angel, party of ten. Something lively and not too expensive? Party includes some vegetarians so goon favourite Rodizio Rico is off the table.

The Gate is good for vegetarian food, and Le Mercury (1 and 2) do very good value French cuisine. Zilouf's is good as well and very lively.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

caberham posted:

Ledbury full went to the Punjab curry with an ex London goon and went to a few bars. I'm not that impressed when it comes to finding a good stout or porter here. I still need to visit Sam smith for a decent oatmeal stout

There are no decent beers in Sam Smiths. Go to anything mentioned by Kaiho here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054&userid=70149&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post449130974

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

angor posted:

Drinking at Oriole today and SOFUCKINGEXCITED!

We want something relatively quick/cheap but delicious near Farringdon and were thinking about Apulia. Thoughts?

Oh a friend of mine is playing there tomorrow and I'm planning on going along. Let me know what it's like!

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

angor posted:

Oriole was fantastic. I like the atmosphere there more than Nightjar. Feels a little more relaxed and open which is nice. Drinks and service are both excellent. The sharing cocktails say they serve 4-6 but we got 10 drinks out of each one we ordered which was really nice.

Alright, thanks! :) Am really looking forward to it. What drinks did you have and what stood out for you?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Mmm, Oriole was alright but not great. They didn't have a sound engineer which didn't help the band, and the service just wasn't good, at all. They did eventually give us a free round in return for the fact that they had messed up three of our 9 drinks in total. I was surprised because when we talked to the waiter, she said she's been working at Nightjar for five years.

Cocktails themselves were good. I forgot all the names but we had one spectacular sharing one with dry ice which was a lot of fun, and the whisky and tobacco liquor one I had really stood out as well. Just gonna say that I do prefer Merchant House if you're looking for that kind of atmosphere, where the staff really know their stuff.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Out of those chains I like POD and Itsu the most I think. POD's really quite good.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Again POD and Itsu for that kind of stuff. Out of the salad places I quite like Tossed. I've tried 5 Guys' bunless option and thought it was pretty awful. Wrapping a burger in bland icecold lettuce leaves... ugh. GBK's bunless options are much better.

Also Tortilla is better than Chipotle.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thought Itsu was mostly fairly high carb, all rice dished and noodles?
They've got a number of dishes without rice. They've got a chicken and avocado dish, a poaches salmon one and a tuna salad that are all pretty good and low carb. Plus the sushi (and sashimi obviously) is relatively low carb.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

Any recommendations for date spots around Soho or Covent Garden? Ideally somewhere where conversation is possible 6-8pm on a Thursday?
Drinks or dinner? Hawksmoor on Air Street or in Covent Garden works for both. Air Street one will be quieter.
The French House is fun, too. For drinks that is.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
More and more places do mark their gluten free options. You should be absolutely fine when it comes to breakfast, lunch and dinner options. Just look at the kind of places you're interested in and look at whether their online menus indicate it. I've never cared for afternoon tea and wouldn't know about that, though.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yeah Camden Blues Kitchen is alright and gets some pretty good acts. Prices are high but it's basically to compensate for the free live music.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
When in Soho, go to Milroy's. Always go to Milroy's. But don't tell everyone because it's already bloody busy.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Hopper posted:

By sheer luck and knowing the right people, my stay in London in June has changed and I will be spending my 3 nights in a very fancy 5 star hotel in Mayfair.
However, I don't want/can't to afford paying for dinner in that hotel and know next to nothing about that area in terms of eating. Are there any reasonable chippies and other takeaway/sit-in joints in the area to grab dinner?

You wouldn't want to be eating in the average hotel restaurant anyway, not even in Mayfair. But you're not far away from Soho which is full of cheaper and mid-priced restaurants that are good.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

pointsofdata posted:

Best work lunch chain, go!

Itsu or Tossed for me. Or Wok to Walk if there's one near you.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Crossrail Roof Garden is supposedly pretty good. Food-wise there's not much there, though, apart from the usual chains. You can walk up to Whitechapel for a good curry?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

peanut- posted:

By the end of 2018 brisket, pulled pork and chicken wings will be the only dishes left on restaurant menus in London.
These trends will always come and go, and a few of the good ones will stay. I think we're over the burger craze now, thank God. Also can the mac 'n' cheese as a side thing please end?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

captain poopfister posted:

I suppose the other one gathering momentum is good fried chicken like chicken sours
The popularity of that lead to this amazing Guardian article on working class teenagers trying posh fried chicken.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2016

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yes go to the Bull & Last for a roast, but make sure to book well ahead.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anywhere good in Croydon? Might be moving there

Hey I just moved here! It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Whilst I've barely eaten here so far, there are definitely a couple of nice little hipster coffee shops (St. Matthew's Yard is great, and does excellent brunch), and there's a huge Spanish tapas place that's very fun and friendly on the High Street - I ended up there last weekend.

So eh, let me know if and when you do find something.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
E Pellici does the best breakfast/brunch. It's the most amazing cafe I've ever been to.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

tentish klown posted:

I've just moved to half way between Old St and Shoreditch High St stations, about 3 mins walk from Dinerama. What's good and cheap to eat around, where should I get my affordable take away dinners?!

How cheap? Voodoo Ray's is pretty drat good and I think it's half price on Mondays. Or maybe that deal is only on in Dalston? I often have dance classes in that area and try and go to the Itsu half an hour before closing to pick things up at 50% off.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Fine dining + Chinese would be places like Hakkasan. Their tasting menu is fantastic.

If you're actually looking for fine dining and money isn't an issue then it really is worth looking at the Michelin starred ones. I'd go for the Ledbury, personally.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

angor posted:

London goons I need help!

Meeting some friends in London tonight. Doing drinks at Hawksmoor Seven Dials then dinner. We were planning on going to Native for dinner, but we're going to be 6-7 people and they only have room for 4 tonight. I live somewhere where culinary creativity barely exists, so I was looking for something interesting around that area for 6-7 people. Smoking Goat was on my radar but I'm vegetarian (the only one in our party) and that will have almost nothing for me. Was thinking maybe Dishoom but trying to stay away from Indian. Any other ideas?
Hmm, make your way up to Fitzrovia and try Foley's for example. That are tends to be a little less busy.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

mmm11105 posted:

Any particular recommendations for moderately-priced (~10-20 pounds/plate) restaurants within a 25 minute walk of the City? Particularly somewhere that would be suitable for not very adventurous eaters.

There are so many options. What kind of cuisine do you have in mind? You can easily walk up to Shoreditch and Hoxton in 10 minutes which have plenty of good restaurants.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yep, Caravan. And Noble Espresso is great for an on the go coffee around King's Cross.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Bollock Monkey posted:

Ideas for an affordable (cheaper than, say, Rotorino or Bocca) but special-feeling Mediterranean place? Anniversary time is coming up but it's been an expensive year so we can't justify a splurge. Preferably North/Central/slightly East. Bonus points for affordable cocktails.

e: I say Mediterranean as a deliberately broad category as we usually end up doing some sort of Asian cuisine and fancy something else. Probably not Turkish though as we're in Harringay so have that a lot as well.

Berber & Q is fantastic for that food, but might be no reservations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Spuckuk posted:

edit: Read the independent review, it's terribly written, and no idea how they ended up with a bill that big, you just order the mixed mezze for however many people you have and loads of wine, then die from too much food.
That's exactly how it works and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
I'd say Hoppers for that kind of budget.