Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dosvidanya posted:

I've been playing for the last couple of days, and, as everyone I've played with in the past can attest to, I'm pretty bad.

I've settled on Nova/X/Strider for now with Doom being the obvious second there. I know not everyone has their hands on the game yet, but I just can't figure out a good second. I've tried Frank for shopping cart/level 3-4 combo attempts, but TACing isn't reliable enough for that and Frank has a hard time opening people up with the strider assist I've found since there's only the one hit so his roll can't cross up.

So, I'm rather stumped as to what'd give my team some synergy. My inner chen says to take Felicia for her rolling buckler assist since hit block or miss it makes air human rocket punch pretty safe while at the same time setting them up for a follow up combo on hit.

Anyone have any other ideas that I can flail uselessly around with? :shobon:

Keep in mind I have no scene here and I play online :twisted:

I thought you meant X as in Zero with the megaman skin... I think this is a sign, you know who you need to use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Not... really... With the only real known anchor character being Dark Phoenix, who deeply suffers being on point.

Of course she does, you can't put her on point. You can put Phoenix on point though, and that's not always a horrible idea if you know what you're doing. They are two seperate characters, they have been the whole time, and the sooner people realize it the better. Starting to see more regular Phoenix play in the last few months of original marvel's lifespan, hopefully that continues into ultimate.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sade posted:

Here's a fun little tidbit: Firebrand's j.qcb+M and H, while they act basically just like an 8-way airdash, really just count as a special move that move him a certain way. Who cares you say? That means Firebrand is now the only character in the game that can block after an airdash!

I just spent like 3 hours messing around with Firebrand in training mode. He owns. He owns!!!

I thought spidey was the only one

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Revitalized posted:

Is there any specific timing to doing a crossover counter, or is it just as soon as you're blocking (any time that you could be advance guarding) that you just press the partner button?

also: new tier question: WHICH SIDE OF THE COVER ARE YALL USING?

the flipped side of course. I like my nemesis EXTRA hideous

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have the loose framework of a team but I need some input on the second character and which assists would go good together. Right now I have Ghost Rider as the opener and Nemesis as the anchor and that's pretty much set in stone but I'm not sure for the rest of it.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah after actually getting in there and trying some stuff out you guys were right about Nemesis. I had some assumptions about him that proved wrong, still interested in the character but I don't think he'd be a fit for this team, or probably any of the big guys really.

So then I have Ghost Rider for sure, and I keep going back and forth between Morrigan and Storm for the second slot. I played a lot of Trish in vanilla so I like that floaty keepaway style and I think it'd be a good contrast to Ghost Rider's ground game, but I'm still not sure about the anchor slot.

Part of me is thinking another zoner would be good for that third slot, I had a lot of success with Arthur in that position back in vanilla but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so I was thinking a rushdown guy might be good to mess with people's expectations a bit. Play keepaway for a while then get in their face. I tried a bit of Zero and he's fun but he seems pretty fragile and I'm still new to the rushdown thing so I'm not too sure about that. Deadpool can go back and forth between the two styles pretty seamlessly and he was one of my mains in vanilla but I want to try some new people out.

So with all that in mind who would you guys recommend now?

Also the slot positions aren't set in stone, I'm not too sure about GR as an opener now so feel free to shuffle it up a bit.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hawkeye works, you might want to consider Nova as well if you're going for team arrogant douchebags.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hey all, I have a code for the strider/doom/sent/akuma costume pack for the PS3 version. Please only use it if you intend on maining one or more of these characters, I want these doll costumes going to a good home!

B74P-A9ND-TFQK

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Rokstar posted:

Congrats, some unregistered pubbie took that code within 6 nanoseconds and your goonerocity was all for naught :smuggo:

I guess next time you'll have to be quicker on the draw. I hope whoever got it enjoys it! :D

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Duck and burger posted:

God, I'm so bad at this on a fundamental level. I just end up blocking till I make a mistake and get comboed, repeat till death. Only person I could beat was someone who put Phoenix on point and spammed fireballs with Amaterasu and even that was giving me trouble. I just get hit by poo poo over and over. Anyone on 360 wanna help me not be TERRIBLE some time?

I too am quite terrible, I'd love to have some terribly terrible matches with you sometime. Gamertag is MundaneLlama

That goes for anyone else as well. No mic at the moment but I'm hoping to get a new one soon.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iolo_the_bard posted:

Is the guide for this game worth picking up if I don't plan on investing a whole bunch of time in this game? Does it have lots of character and stage art sprinkled around, or did they go the "pages upon pages of tables with frame data" approach?

The second one.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
gently loving caress these socalers!!!

stop running away schemdrik what does it MEAN?!?!

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Disease posted:

I think a big part of this is having a team that can actually handle zoning. As an Arthur main in both vanilla and ultimate, I don't have much sympathy for people running Frank West or Nemesis on point or Wolverine/Sentinel teams. Bad team construction can lose the match for you before it even starts. Consider a team where you can hold down assist buttons before the match starts for a different order that is more effective against rushdown or zoning, I've had a lot of luck with this myself.

Also after you have a good team set-up, keep on using it! There seems to be a wide-held belief by online people that players that zone are just "spammers" that suck at the game and zoning is the only way they can win. An online player match sometimes starts with the other person raging at me on their mic when getting zoned out. Then the next match they come at me with Hawkeye/Doom or Morrigan and proceed to still get outzoned, OR, they switch to Dante or Vergil assuming as an Arthur player I've never seen anyone teleport behind me before and will have no way of overcoming this elite strategy. People that zone heavily are no likely to be better or worse than rushdown players, for some reason a lot of people have trouble with that idea.

This is reasonable, what are you doing in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
and people thought that move was useless

• Locked thread