Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

FSLink posted:

So is there a Google Doc or something of XBL/PSN info of goons who are going to play UMvC3?

Sure, I'll make that again. Can't think of anything else worth adding in there...

:siren:

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 GOON LIST!!!

Spreadsheet:
http://tinyurl.com/umvc3goons

Entry Form:
http://tinyurl.com/umvc3goons-new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Now I see why nobody pre-ordered with Bestbuy. Preordered, paid in full, got the email confirmation to pick it up today; get there and they not only don't have it, they haven't even ordered it. After an hour of them not knowing what the gently caress and me having to call their customer service line to get my refund.

So looks like no preorder costumes for me. :negative:

Which is probably related to the fact that there are ZERO Best Buy preorder codes on eBay, tons of Amazon codes, and one Gamestop code.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Revitalized posted:

Wha?! I'm going over to my best buy now! :ohdear:

Also my best buy wouldn't let me pay in full besides the $5 down. Hope it comes through!

Same here, even though I tried. I'm not going until 6:30ish, let me know if you can't get it either!

edit:

chumbler posted:

Off the top of my head he has the short range judgment cut, his dp, and his berserker barrage/slash. The last one is probably what you'd want, but I doubt it's very safe apart from just being fast.

On a side note, the guide's Chun Li section is amusing. From what they're saying she got a ton of juice but is by far the hardest character in the game because of how demanding her execution is. I'd like to see some top player pick her up and go crazy, but as usual, why bother when you could just pick Wesker, Ryu, or whoever else.

Wait, what? Moreso than C.Viper or Jill? Like the above guy I just dashed in and kicked people a lot. She seemed pretty easy to use, if a bit weak.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

cumtini... on ice posted:

I have this for ps3. my PSN is CosmonautLaika. I want to play. Anyone on now?

Another reminder about this list:

ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 GOON LIST!!!

Spreadsheet:
http://tinyurl.com/umvc3goons

Entry Form:
http://tinyurl.com/umvc3goons-new

(my job blocks this address so I can't actually look at the lists but I presume they're still working alright)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Whoever maintains this can you fix my PSN ID? There should be three Z's in nodozzze not two :doh:

Done!

iolo_the_bard posted:

There should be a "level of skill" field. I've never really played any MvC game before, but after a couple rounds through Arcade, I decided to hop on XBL and fight a random dude. Promptly got my rear end handed to me, I never had an opportunity to attack. Basically, if I play against goons, I'd like to play against similarly new goons, and not "will completely combo all 3 of my characters in 12 seconds" goons.

I did the lists for SF4, SSF4, and MvC3 also, and I had that on there... and no one used it/people said it didn't matter. So I stopped adding it! But when I use it I just talk to the people and they're pretty nice about understanding that I suck. Maybe I should've added a "own a microphone" field...

That said, I can add it anyway, but it's too late now that a lot of people put their info in. Oops.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

I'll say it again, you want a braindead easy way to get level five Frank? Skrull's Supernova. It hits 99 times when mashed. And lasts long enough to get a camera shot in.

So how do you do this? THC and pick a hyper for Frank that ends quickly?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Hey guys help me. I forgot that I sucked at MvC3 and stopped playing it. That happened long ago enough that I thought buying UMvC3 would be a good idea.

Now a Frank jumps me in the corner, knocks me around, slams me down, clubs me up again, MMHS again, picture+Dommaru black hole's me back up again, hits me a few times, then shopping cart hypers me.

I guess what I'm asking is: why does it look like the pros are playing a different game than I am? I take a hit which leads into a long, long combo, while it seems that they trade smaller volleys much more often. Am I just bad at defense? I guess I do forget to pushblock a lot...

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

40 OZ posted:

Helpful things.

Thanks 40 OZ and other helpful guys. As you guessed, I'm a SF4 player primarily, so the adjustment here is pretty large. And, yeah, I'm frustrated, but that feeling will go away in time I'm sure. Thanks for the advice!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'm now one and fifteen online in ranked. You guys talk about how bad online is but no one online drops a combo against me. Ugh. Everyone I play online is amazing at this game. My only win was against another guy who had never won before - and I destroyed him. There are very large skill tiers here.

Ugh, I've never had a "I need to walk away and not look at this game for a week" game. I understand salty.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Remember that ranks are reset, so all those losses you are getting are probably from high-ranking online players. Maybe you should try fighting some people you know, get a chance to improve your game if the online losses are getting you that salty.

Yeah, you're definitely right. Ranks will stabilize one day.

As for friends, I can beat them pretty reliably. It just seems like 90% of online players are savants.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'm playing Wright(Witness)/Doom(Missiles)/Chun, mostly because Wright and Doom work well together and Chun-Li is my best character.

My main issue is the fast crowd - Zero, Wesker, and Nova. Zero's diagonal-from-above attack avoids my Turnabout Phoenix assist, and all of his attacks put me in a ton of pressure - even blocking and pushblocking I feel like I can't keep him off of me long enough for Chun to do anything about it. Same with Wesker - intense pressure, and hitting a teleport with missiles isn't enough to deter them. Nova's good because he can prevent me from getting any evidence with his single-hidden-missile-like attack which comes in faster than I can look for a single piece of evidence.

I definitely need to learn Doom better, I pretty much only use him as an assist right now. Are there individual Assist Me-type videos for Ultimate MvC yet? I only saw a few and they've all been new characters, like Iron Fist.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a metatag for people who are bad at this game and just like playing suboptimal bullshit like theme teams and 3xRandom? Failing that, anybody who like that kinda nonsense can just add me. I like playing MvC but I can't motivate myself to actually practice.

GT: GoodCitizen 3cX

Add me because I've lost all but one ranked game I've ever played. If you see me on feel free to send me a challenge!

GT: Skychrono

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

No not really, sentinel was only a "no-brianer team choice" because it was still the first week of the game being out and people hadn't figured out how easy it is to play around him. Sentinel didn't need a nerf.

I'm not sure about that, honestly. Seeing him used in XF3 form with a couple bars and chipping characters to death on their way in... still frustrating. Giving him lower life, meaning more incentive to snap him in, is something that helps.

e: Wow, a lot of responses since I pressed reply. I guess my opinion is from a Fighter's point of view so you can disregard it. I'm also the kind of player who is afraid of Dorm so maybe that's rare.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

My first rage quit. :) Followed immediately by my second. People really hate the invincible Wright assist and/or losing a Ranked streak.

Wait, where'd my records go? :smith:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

Do the DLC characters have 6 colors without further DLC? Wondering if the card allowing 3x of one character is why.

Every character has six. The DLC characters have their seventh for free though, yeah.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Heroes and Heralds patch is live. Phoenix Wright lost invincibility on Turnabout assists. Went from near-useless gimmick to outright useless.

:smith: I hope they drastically increased his Turnabout time or something to compensate...

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

When it comes to balancing, the only change noted so far is that Phoenix Wright's assists are no longer invincible in Turnabout Mode. Phoenix Wright also had a voice change, he now says "Take that!" instead of "Take this!", mirroring fan demand. Also Maya's Shield comes out faster giving him more protection during evidence gathering.

(event hubs)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

edit: ^^^^^^^^^ what he said

So I am definitely getting better - I haven't been kicked from 9th Lord back to Fighter, at least - but I still get stuck getting beat up by dumb things.

I play Hulk(Gamma Wave)/Chun(Legs)/Doom(Beam). I get beat up a lot by stupidly cheap things, as Hulk mostly. For instance, Ghost Rider's jH (or is it jS? The jumping downward chain) over and over - it's like fighting a Dalshim that can do a long combo afterwards. It comes out faster than my Hulk or Doom can react/beam. Chun Li can jump over it and dash a few times generally, but if they're good with assists I'm stuck. I have a similar problem against Nova - his air-to-ground fire missile spam is faster than my beam characters so I'm stuck inching forward and put into a bad situation.

Any advice?

Also, aside from the above reason, characters I hate fighting:
* Virgil
* Dante
* Frank
* Zero

Mostly because their combos last forever, even through blockstrings, meaning that can eat up a huge chunk of your X-Factor time once you trigger it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

And while I'm complaining about minor over sights, why when I create a game do I not get an audible alert to tell me someone has joined like pretty much every other game does?

Not a perfect solution, but I just press A to ready up and presume the other person will ready up if the connection is good enough. That way the music changes on the character select screen automatically.

• Locked thread