Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I will never get tired of reading Vergil's description, great OP.

It's infinitely better than the serious attempt I gave it. Good show, Brosnan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Rirse posted:

I have a question, what DLCs from the old game carry over? I see the two DLC characters and the alt costume page shows the lone one from MvC3, but do you still have to buy them, or they are included?

If you purchased Shuma and Jill in MvC3, you will have them in UMvC3. You will also have their alternate costume right away as well, no extra charge.

If you purchased the 6 alternate outfits released for MvC3 (Ryu, Chris, Dante, CapAm, Thor, and Iron Man), you will have those in UMvC3 as well.

If you purchased none of that stuff, you have to buy it to have it in UMvC3.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

While we're still on page 1, BradyGames is putting out the UMvC3 strategy guide, and it will be fantastic. The MvC3 guide was so good that people called it 'The Bible', and the UMvC3 guide is even better. It helps that high-level Marvel players like Buktooth and clockw0rk helped out on the guide. You can check out 4 sections of the guide (Ryu, Strider, Wolverine, and Dr. Strange) as a free teaser at this link: http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog/2011/11/11/ultimate_marvel_vs_capcom_3_gets_an_ultimate_guide

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's a Youtube Channel with about 30 minutes of casual matches and 9/12 Mission Modes for the new dudes, although the guy doesn't necessarily complete all the missions: http://www.youtube.com/user/HeartlessOmega

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

TaurusOxford posted:

No Items
Wesker Only
Training Stage

Heh, no items, just another nerf for Hsien-Ko.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

https://www.youtube.com/user/deelaneejah

That channel has several Vergil-related UMvC3 videos, including the Isedelica combos redone in HD, Vergil vs. Dante intro and win quotes, and showing off that the "Crown of Thorns" Spiral Swords formation goes away on hard tag or aerial exchange.

Also, here are a couple Firebrand combos including a Luminous Body relaunch combo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha6aLZAXywA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_oBE48Rzp8

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 13, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dosvidanya posted:

I just figured it was fairly linear aside from the timer on turnabout. Well, good to know.

You can switch freely between Investigation and Courtroom stances with down down S. Once you get into Turnabout, you're in there until the timer runs out or you land a level 3 hyper, whichever comes first.

Anyway, those parts about the judge hyper destroying bad evidence and the Maya hyper hitting low on the last hit both sound pretty nice.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

More Vergil combos for the Vergil combos gods: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hINFQ1r41JA

These combos are really flashy, though. A lot of them involving comboing into Spiral Swords and then into the formation change. Vergil looks like tons of fun.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

For the Frank West fans in the thread, here's a big post by Chrisis (Cali Viper player, I think he was at both Ultimate NorCal vs. Capcom events) talking about his experience with Frank so far and his thoughts: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/ive-covered-wars-yknow-frank-west-thread.148405/page-17#post-6122969

Basically, he seems really impressed with Frank and thinks he'll be pretty good.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's a neato Frank combo and also a neato Iron Fist combo. Neato. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqN_v3P_1BM&feature=player_embedded

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's two videos with new intro quotes, with subtitles on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vRIjdSgV4Jk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oQ2QVSXYxE

They basically all own.

Edit: Oh yeah, Spooky and NerdJosh are playing UMvC3: http://www.twitch.tv/nerdjosh
Also Justin Wong and Floe are driving somewhere and having an eating contest or something? I dunno: http://www.twitch.tv/eg_jwong/

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 15, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Broken Loose posted:

Turnabout is somehow more broken than Dark Phoenix.

Nah, no teleport.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Firebrand has neat combos utilizing Sentinel Drones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76EhvczQzA&feature=player_embedded

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

nogic posted:

Maybe this is a facet of the game I missed from vanilla, but it seems like almost all the new characters I've seen, their j.S at the end of a super jump/air combo will cause a ground bounce, and they can pick the other guy back up for another air combo. I know Frank and Firebrand can do this, and I feel like almost all of the new characters I've seen can do this.

Both those examples aren't actually j.S. Frank's is j.qcf+H and Firebrand's is a down+H dive kick. Nemesis's j.S can ground bounce, but not in a super jump combo.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

My copy arrived and is installing, hooray! But my local Gamestop didn't have the guide in. People who got it from Best Buy, do you know if they were carrying the guide at all?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Rokstar posted:

Wow, it's really not that hard at all to get to Frank level 5 in a single combo with a Nemesis THC and a good multi-hitting assist like Chun or Dormammu. As much as I figured he'd be the lamest character in the roster by far before the game came out, Frank may actually be my favorite character right now.

Funny that you mention that, because I was practicing with Frank/Nemesis/Dormammu just a little bit ago, trying to get down a Frank combo that builds one bar for the THC. It was surprisingly more difficult than I expected, but I guess that's just how meter gain in general is going to be from here on out.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Rokstar posted:

If you end your first air series with the qcf+H ground bounce move and follow that up with a relaunch, the combo builds a second bar just in time for you to need it. Here's a video I put together of a Frank/Nemesis/Chun combo that does basically the same thing, and I'm assuming Dorm would work the same way although I haven't tried it specifically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAacPnOV_-k

e: I just tried it with Dormammu, and it seems like you should be able to do the same thing to build the one meter with him too, except the timing is a whole lot stricter and you have to use c.H into S during the dark hole because you don't have enough time to get a standing H off. Also dark hole only does 9 hits to legs' 10 and my combo juuuuuuuust barely gets you to level 5, so you may have to play with throwing a few extra hits in there somewhere (and dealing with the extra scaling that results).

When I was doing the same basic thing as your combo, I was just missing out on getting that full meter built for the THC. Here's what I came up with that worked with Dark Hole:

s.M s.H c.H S sj.MMH XX qcf+L, sj.M XX qcf+L, sj.MS, land dash once call Dorm slight pause OTG Camera into the assist, dash S sj.S, land THC.

This has the benefit of easily getting to Frank Level 5, at least. I'm still not entirely happy with it, though, so I'll probably continue to play around with it, maybe also using a Nemesis assist in there or something.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Somehow I didn't think of this until I read the idea on SRK or somewhere, but Tron Lunch Rush DHCed as soon as the bullet connects into Frank's QCB super (whiffs) gives him time to take three photos (midscreen, at least, maybe not in corner), guaranteeing Level 5 Frank. Of course, Tron might not end up being usable enough to be worth the easy setup.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Veev posted:

There are so many characters Frank can do this with that tron isn't really worth using unfortunately.

Most of the characters Frank can do things with rely on Team Hyper Combos, not DHCs, meaning you have to start with dumb bad Level 1 Frank on point and score the first hit. This setup lets you start with him second, serving the dual purposes of not having to use Level 1 Frank and also having access to his Shopping Cart assist.

As far as DHCs go, there actually aren't that many that stay active when DHCed out of. Of the ones that do stay active, you also have to be able to whiff the QCB super. As an example, Storm's Hail Storm stays active when she DHCs out, but if she's too close then Frank's QCB hits, and Shopping Cart super lasts too long. Even if you do DHC it into the whiff properly, Frank only gets one picture before the Hail Storm ends.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cuchulain posted:

Triple Arrow into Gimlet. :v:

Really though, magic series to air magic, freeze arrow OTG, slide, relaunch, air magic, Gimlet is pretty beastly for how easy the execution is.

After the second air magic series you have to OTG with air Poison Arrow (done after a qcb+L just like the freeze arrow OTG), as Gimlet does not OTG by itself.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Metrohunter posted:

Oh, of course. How silly of me.

Does the Nemesis + Frank THC work outside of the corner? I haven't tested it extensively yet but when I tried it midscreen, they popped out after Frank's super finished.

Yes, it does. When Frank lands, dash in right next to the prone opponent before you do the Team Hyper Combo.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Those are drat cool, but I don't know how I would feel about running that team with that setup in actual matches. I kinda think Frank needs some sorta long range projectile assist (longer range than Dorm Dark Hole) to be effective.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dr. Strange looks like a super fun character: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMBl1qLv2Q&feature=player_embedded

Also, the idea of landing Impact Palm and raw tagging in gives me even more (exceedingly obvious) Frank West ideas.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Razeam posted:

The guide has a combo with seven Impact Palms where they say Strange is gunning for Magneto in the "I use one move a dozen times in the same combo" department.

Yeah, lot of these combos have at least seven Impact Palms, and I think they beat the guide in terms of damage. Also, I forgot to link this video from the same guy that he made prior to the one I linked in my previous post (it shows more basic solo Strange stuff): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWRUyksIwVE&feature=player_embedded

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Seizure Robot posted:

Nova's resets are seriously godlike. Here's a cool video to watch.

Particularly the javelin reset, I'm scared.

That combo to get Frank to Level 4 is pretty nice. If I get fed up with how different Tron feels and how neutered her combos are, I might have to give Nova a try instead.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cat Machine posted:

You're playing... Tron?! :stare:

I was messing around with the concept, because like I mentioned before, any Tron combo into Lunch Rush whiff DHCed into Frank's qcb super gives him time for three camera shots, guaranteeing Level 5 Frank. Nova can only get Frank to 4 with the combo in that video, but Nova is most likely far and away more playable on point than Tron is so it might be worth the difference.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Vengarr posted:

Right. With the Doom buffs and the Iron Man nerfs, Unibeam assist no longer justifies his existance on any team.

Sadly. :qq:

This isn't 100% true. The one vital difference between the two beams is that Iron Man's will leave a grounded opponent still grounded, meaning it has some obscure utility in that regard. As an example, Frank can start a combo while charging back and use Unibeam to combo into his H grabby zombie.

Anyway, I'm now putting some training room time into Nova, the character I thought I would enjoy the least out of the new 12, and he's pretty cool with his funny H fly H unfly H relaunch and everything (does this work on small characters midscreen? I couldn't get it on RR). I guess that's just how fighting games, especially the Marvel series, can be.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 21, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Merton Blask posted:

How's Strange treating you guys? I just swapped him into my squad on point in place of Spidey, and I'm having a blast so far.

I've got a while before I'm comfortable taking him into a real fight, but he's suddenly tied with Nova for my favorite character to spend hours in the lab with. I just got the hang of Strange's jump loops, and my god they are satisfying. I found a video that sets up the loop with a post-crumple fly instead of Graces, so that's what I'm using for now.

Haven't really experimented much with Graces, haven't seen a huge need outside of the OTG in the corner. I've only seen them used so far in tandem with a teleport, and M Daggers kinda seem to do the same thing.

Note that I haven't tested this, but I am thinking that 2 Red Graces then Flames for the OTG explosion might do more damage than the fly combo after crumple.

As for the Yellow Graces, the benefit to them is that you can place multiples of them pretty quickly, then super jump and Flames and go into your teleport mixup, whereas you can't do both M Daggers and teleport in the same super jump.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I gotta look up real stuff for strange only things I know is j.M(M)H6H loop all day, and that you can set it up off of 623L. That and that double laser assist makes me so happy.

The funny thing is that you can do pretty well with Strange combo-wise just with that jump loop. There are some slightly more damaging things you can do, but for the ease of use and meter built, going into jump loop is a real solid option.

Just as a reference, here's the combo I've been practicing:

s.MH f+H XX M Grace, M Grace, slight pause then Flames for the OTG explosion, f+H XX L Mystic Sword, (j.MMH f+H)x3, s.H f+H slight pause S sj.MMH f+H pause S, land M Daggers lateXX SoV

You can instead opt to start the combo with 1-4 c.L's into Impact Palm, and you can also go into this off of a 2 Yellow Graces or M Daggers teleport mixup. After the third iteration of the loop, you can actually do j.H f+H delay S, land f+H S, but I tend to drop that part so I leave it out. Also, if you don't want to place Graces for whatever reason, you can get to the jump loop by doing dash in c.H f+H XX L Mystic Sword or by doing some sort of fly combo into Impact Palm, I would imagine.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 22, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I just do crumple, dash red graces,2H,IMPACT PALM, 623L,j.MMH6H,land j.MMH6H,land,5H6HS,jump,MH6HS,OTG explosion,6H,S,j.6HS,super...I don't have time to land if I want it to hit most of the time.

That's fine for a corner variant, I would imagine.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Man, I can't believe I didn't think of this before with the Nova/Frank combo I was talking about previously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvxJo7CYUY&feature=player_embedded

In other Nova news, here's a funny XF3 loop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzOvs3tEP20&feature=player_embedded

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Blinn posted:

I'm playing Nova/Strange/Wesker but I'm thinking of changing to Nova/Frank/Wesker- I think I can get an instant level 4 Frank off a Nova BnB too, and that shopping cart assist looks tight. Any thoughts?

I don't have any thoughts about ditching Strange, as the team I'm currently putting time into is actually Nova/Frank/Strange, but I wanted to point out that you can actually get to Frank Level 5 after the Nova BnB, provided you have Nova's ground bouncing dive kick assist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvxJo7CYUY

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Nova can build a bar with c.M s.H S sj. H fly H unfly H land s.H S sj.MHS land f+H S sj.H XX Super Nova (DHC to Survival super). If you start with either c.L or something like a airdash j.H, you have to omit the M in the second superjump sequence, but you still build a bar, so it's not like you'd have to have Nova second just to build bar with a point for this setup.

Honestly the H fly/unfly thing into relaunch isn't all that bad, it just takes practice to get used to the timing.

I don't know how I'd feel about Nova/Frank as the second and third characters. I think I'd be worried about a scenario where you lose both your point and Nova and are then saddled with solo Level 1 Frank.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dosvidanya posted:

I'm just talking about doing the swap to frank. Basically the requirement is "be high up" and while it's possible to do otg cent l into super into frank whiff super into camera, it's really annoying.

I'm still not understanding why you wouldn't just do OTG f+H, S, sj.H XX Super Nova instead.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Oh, I see, I wasn't actually aware that f+H wasn't guaranteed all the time after sj.S. That's what I wasn't understanding.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Blinn posted:

Time now for me to learn some Frank level 4 and 5 beastly combos to dish out the damage.

I don't know if these are necessarily optimal, but they're at least a good start:

Midscreen:
s.M (3 hits) c.M(3) s.H(like... 5 hits?) c.H S sj.M(3)M(3)H S land OTG qcf+H S sj.M(3)M(3)HS land [Snapshot OR H Roundhouse Kick] XX qcb super

I haven't tested this, but after the ground bounce from the qcf+H you might be able to get a regular jump loop or two of j.M(3)M(3)H land S.

Corner:
s.M(3) c.M(3) s.H(5) XX qcf+M, forward jump j.M(3)M(3)H land forward jump j.M(3)M(3)S land S sj.M(3)M(3)H XX qcf+L, M(1)S land [Snapshot or H Roundhouse Kick] XX qcb super

For this one, I have a lot of trouble landing the M(1)S in the air at the end, so I either try and leave out a few hits on the preceding sj.M before the sj.H XX qcf+L, or I just wuss out and cut the qcf+L entirely.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Xuuel posted:

Are you sure? It seemed to be doubled to me regardless of what level of x-factor I was using, like his objection would do 240k instead of the normal 120k. Outside of turnabout mode those damage numbers seem right though.

Stupid question here, but is it possible you were in training mode and changing the Dummy Settings' X-Factor level instead of the Player Settings' X-Factor level?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I would think that if you're far enough away and DHC Dante's Million Dollars into Frank's QCB super right as the last normal bullet comes out, Frank would recover with enough time to take a picture off the spinning knockdown that Million Dollars causes so that the super big bullet hits at the end.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's something I found on SRK for the Frank players in the thread:

A video with a whole bunch of Team Hyper Combo options that give Frank the time to take at least one picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4i-po4V40&feature=player_embedded
A cool Level 1 or 2 Frank solo relaunch utilizing his air qcf+L to bring them back down to the ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Vbz0rCUqg&feature=player_embedded

Moving along, Rogueyoshi put up a couple insane Doctor Strange corner combos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3_Ia5I00IU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUj_2zJcyps&feature=player_embedded

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

flatluigi posted:

He finds a good amount of stuff himself, man.

He does. In this particular video, though, most of the glitches and things were found by others and just aesthetically compiled by Desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If the streamchat is to be believed, the commentator in question is Steve Scott, a Tekken player from St. Louis.

• Locked thread