Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Repostin' dis:

:megaman: UMVC3 LAUNCH DAY TOURNAMENT :megaman:

:itjb: Xbox sign-up! :itjb: | :spidey: PS3 sign-up! :spidey:

We're running it on both consoles at the same time (10PM Eastern) - we'll be organizing from the IRC channel listed on the sign-up pages

Rules and other stuff are also on the sign-up page. It doesn't cost anything to sign-up and play! Lightning Kimba and Zexerous have offered to put up prizes! First place in either tournament gets you a free forums upgrade of your choice! (up to a $10 value) - Any questions please just ask, either here or in the IRC channel (if you don't already hang out there anyway, come join us).

By popular request I have added a rule requiring at least one new-to-UMvC3 character be a part of your team at all times for the 0-day tournament. Goons willing, we'll have a stream for one or both tournaments up for everybody to watch so you can still expect to have some fun watching (GET HYPE) even if you get knocked out early or just want to hang out and watch! Plus there's all the lobbies for casuals that are sure to spring up. Get at this!

Trykt fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
:catdrugs: THIS GAME CAME THE gently caress OUT TODAY :catdrugs:
:catdrugs: AND WE ARE HAVING A TOURNAMENT FOR IT :catdrugs:

Trykt posted:

:megaman: UMVC3 LAUNCH DAY TOURNAMENT :megaman:

:itjb: Xbox sign-up! :itjb: | :spidey: PS3 sign-up! :spidey:

We're running it on both consoles at the same time - 10PM Eastern - we'll be organizing from the IRC channel listed on the sign-up pages.

Rules and other stuff are also on the sign-up page. It doesn't cost anything to sign-up and play! Lightning Kimba and Zexerous have offered to put up prizes! First place in either tournament gets you a free forums upgrade of your choice! (up to a $10 value) - Any questions please just ask, either here or in the IRC channel (if you don't already hang out there anyway, come join us).

By popular request I have added a rule requiring at least one new-to-UMvC3 character be a part of your team at all times for the 0-day tournament. Goons willing, we'll have a stream for one or both tournaments up for everybody to watch so you can still expect to have some fun watching (GET HYPE) even if you get knocked out early or just want to hang out and watch! Plus there's all the lobbies for casuals that are sure to spring up. Get at this!

You can still sign up! Brackets aren't locked until start time!

:getin:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brosnan posted:

So, online is still lovely.

Your avatar continues to be quite fitting.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Cuchulain posted:

Got mandated for a late shift tonight. Wont be able to make the tournament. :(

It's cool, thanks for the notice. I took you off the sign up list.

To anyone missing out on this launch day tourney, don't worry, we will run lots more! I'd do one next week if it wasn't Thanksgiving, but I will set one up for the week after and we'll try to run them regular every week while the hype keeps up!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bouncyman posted:

UPS truck just pulled up to the house. Installing now. Have never used IRC before :( how do I join the server/channel?

Easiest thing is just go to mibbit.com and type in the server/channel info from the sign-up page. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Live brackets for those interested:

PS3: http://goons.challonge.com/ggumvc3ps3_1

XBL: http://goons.challonge.com/ggumvc3xbl_1

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

ApeEscape posted:

With the release of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, I want to start training to get into EVO next year. I'm not saying I'm great at this game, but I am trying to be with match experience and by putting work in the lab.

Any chance you goons out there can be my online training partners or even just get in matches and all that? I could really use it since my friends aren't at the level where it'd be like facing tourney caliber players. Hell even some casuals are better than my friends at this game. I have the Xbox version of the game and my GT is DeeApeEscape.

I'll also be streaming my matches and setting up endless lobbies while I'm at work. If you want to tune in to my progress or even to see my get my butt kicked just check out twitch.tv/deeapeescape.

You should definitely hang out in the irc channel, #goonsgarden on irc.synirc.net

We got people in there all the time and some of them are pretty good players, plus plenty more (like me) who aren't great at the game yet but wanna get better.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

FighterKnuckles posted:

Yeah, I'll most likely go, sounds like a good time.

Back to Marvel, how does anyone get used to holding a charge shot with Zero using a pad? It seems pretty much impossible for me to do anything offensive and still hold the charge.

You might try remapping a shoulder button to Light Attack so you can hold it without cramping pad space.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

NecroMonster posted:

Doesn't seem to reach far enough, and frank isn't any better an anchor than sentinel, in fact, probably worse.

I'd find that Cinroth quote about just putting Doom on your team for this, but I'm lazy. Just pretend like I did anyway and put Doom on your team.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dren posted:

He's a zoning character

I'm not Nidd but I'd like to comment here. I personally don't think any characters in this game fit squarely into the "always be zoning" ideal (just as even the most rushdown-oriented characters have zoning elements built-in). And in general those that are the closest to fulfilling that ideal tend to be among the worse choices in the game (Arthur, Hsien-Ko).

To me Deadpool playing a pure zoning gameplan won't work for a lot of reasons, some of which you listed (lots of things beat guns, teleporting away isn't reliable), but he does what many other characters game do well, which is control space well enough to wait for rushdown opportunities. His teleport is good enough for that, at least. His chainable cr.l and decent overhead also suggest he wants to get in and Do Stuff.

quote:

with mediocre combo damage who needs a strong assist in order for his zoning game to work.

This describes a lot of characters in the game to me, especially without the "zoning" descriptor. IMO these kinds of characters tend to make good point characters, where their strengths with assist usage can be fully exploited and if nothing else they can act as meter builders/x-factor level fodder for the stronger characters waiting in the wings.

My current "main" team I'm working on is Chris/Spencer/Strider - so far it seems very strong (even if I'm not as a player yet) but I'm sure I could replace Chris with Deadpool or Rocket Raccoon and be good at many of the same things and even better at others. I just happen to like Chris a lot :3:

Anyway that's how I see Deadpool, not sure if Nidd sees more in him than I do!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

PunkBoy posted:

Isn't his flamethrower decent anti-air? Or did they change that?

It was never good anti-air. It has some situational uses in that department but that's the problem, all Chris's anti-airs (flamethrower, landmine, stand S, air throw, j.buttons into combo, ground shotgun) are situational. The bright side is he tends to get great damage when they work.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

FauxCyclops posted:

Chris/MODOK/Dorm seems to be shaping up nicely. :) However, as I suspected, I'm having a little trouble stuffing teleporters with Chris; suggestions?

The guide has a tidbit about Chris's prone position causing him to stand up in an invincible animation when the opponent gets behind him. Apparently you can use this to punish teleporters by getting up into an immediate throw (which Chris gets a full combo from).

Of course this depends on how well they've covered their teleport with assists/other projectiles.

The above suggestion to anticipate the teleport and cover your position with your own assist sounds like a better general option though. IMO you should consider Sentinel for any team that includes Chris since drones seems to help his gameplan a LOT, and would also work great for the teleport counter-tactic since it stays out sooooo long. Besides which Sentinel is a pretty strong character on his own and has good DHC synergy with Chris!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
In the guide they mention a trick with Ironman where you can make them block an attack and then fly or unfly, causing him to not go anywhere because his flight mode starts up incredibly fast and cancels his momentum in any direction. Can Sentinel do the same thing? Seems like that could be a good variation on the above mix-up.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
According to the guide Jill's position change command grab only scales to 70% as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Hey guys I'm getting into this game again, decided to go with a Dante/Dorm/Akuma team this time around. If someone could sperg a bunch of protips for those characters or the team as a whole I would read it like a million times and also appreciate it a bunch. Thanks!

Re: my current skill level, I can do the intermediate Dante BnBs from the SRK thread just fine (although I'm still working on consistency), I'm not a complete marvel babby. I have no idea how to use my assists to extend combos at all currently though and I need to learn basically everything there is to know about Dormammu.

• Locked thread