Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Groghammer posted:

Great OP, Strider's letter was a :master:

But who's "that kermit the frog looking DUMBASS" in Nova's intro?

I'm guessing Skrull cause he's green and has a ball super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I hope Wesker gets tourney banned :colbert:

When playing against Wester my FUN rating drops far more than against other characters.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Yay top 100 in ranked win streaks! Sure it was against really terrible players but yay.

Is the character usage screen bugged? Because no character is listed at above 30% and I'm not that diverse in my selection.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

His forward m allows you to combo of the ground and all of his trick shots allow you to otg into gimlet.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

chumbler posted:

Tremble, mortals, before the might of Goolactus. (They play the actual game at 11 minutes in.)

The best part of this video is noticing that Gootecks account has been downgraded to silver for ragequitting.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

AlphaTM posted:

Everyone starts at silver before they play any matches.

Really? Oh well. Its still the best video they've put out in a while that didn't have a guest.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Raserys posted:

Sometimes I wish you could set posts to be user-viewable only.

I think if you have platinum you can go into ms paint slap the code in there and then attach it so only goons can read it. It most likely won't cut down on people taking it without posting but v:v:v

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a metatag for people who are bad at this game and just like playing suboptimal bullshit like theme teams and 3xRandom? Failing that, anybody who like that kinda nonsense can just add me. I like playing MvC but I can't motivate myself to actually practice.

GT: GoodCitizen 3cX

There is this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjPiHyPK7d8ZdHlSWlRJMTQ2LVM4dTlvLWJWS25MS1E&hl=en_US#gid=0 and also the irc in the OP has some players if they're paying attention to it.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get by Taskmaster not wearing some sunglasses and copying Wesker's power boost :colbert:

The power up super Taskmaster needs is watching a vhs in fastforward so he gains a speed boost like in the comics.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

eSKAObar posted:

Can you please explain how they work then? I know that they land on parts of the screen varying on the strength of the move, but it's still really ambiguous if you space it right. Every skrull player I have seen will eventually just go for it out of the blue and it's a coin toss if you're locked down or doing something

As long as you're not doing something your character will face the direction Skrull is landing so you have time to react. Also if you are backed up to either side of the screen and walking backwards it'll never hit you unless you're in the corner. Careful when trying to punish it cause an inferno is almost certainly on its way.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How the hell do you follow up after Nova's corner Rocket Punch combos? I can never seem to follow up after his Rocket Punch L with the right timing. Also, why does my combo after a forward + H relaunch sometimes let the opposing character tech out?

I don't know what specific Nova rocket punch combo you're trying to do but I find its easiest to wait before jumping after standing S so that you have more room to airdash down into after the rocket punch. 6h will whiff if your air S doesn't get enough hits in so try omitting a button or two in your last air combo.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Fereydun posted:

She-Hulk was a top tier character because people place top 8 consistently in tournaments with her.

Is Viper a bad character because so few top players used her?

Is Zero a bad character because so few top players used him?

Poor She-Hulk. Why did they do that to her, why? :smith:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Chocolate America posted:

I found that funny too and I also found it funny that ChrisG didn't think to just spam Hidden Missiles. I'm almost certain they come down too high to get reflected by Solar Flare.

No they get reflected too but since he launches an even number they just get canceled out.

Regarding her reflect does Ammy gain meter from reflecting projectiles/ does the person shooting the projectiles gain meter like they would if she was blocking or do they not get anything?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I dunno, if you build a team around Wright you can have success with it (Poltergust won that weekly at ArcadeUFo with Wright/Hulk/Doom), and Hsien-Ko still has a top-tier assist.

I don't know what to say about Tron or She-Hulk though.

During that Japanese UMvC3 tournament wasn't somebody making Tron look like a worthwhile point character? She-Hulk on the other hand :smith:. Actually I didn't get a chance to watch WNF last night did Combofiend make her look like a character again?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Heath posted:

How the hell are you even supposed to counter it? It seems to be impossible to punish because you pretty much HAVE to guard the whole time.

If you're a character whos bnb takes you a long distance horizontally like spider-man or taskmaster they'll fall harmlessly behind you. Or if you have a beam super or something just chill out and super whenever you hear him get called.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

iolo_the_bard posted:

I seem to remember there being some website somewhere that had a series of articles or blog posts that went through each character's alt colors and costume and explained the origin of each. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Here you go

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/marvelcapcom-final/image-feature/index.html

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Nerf everyone, I won't be happy until this is Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Cripple Edition.

She-Hulk for God tier but without getting any buffs :unsmigghh:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

AXE COP posted:

Gene??? :swoon:

I wanna empty quote this forever. Take all my money Capcom.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Eeevil posted:

I hope it's real and they make the UI worse again.

A giant X with three arms displaying your team's life and the last showing your x-factor. It pulsates the entire match, spins, and takes up more screen than the X on the teaser poster.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

So is an update really not happening, or is Capcom lying through their teeth, the way they always do when their plans are leaked early?

What was the web address that leaked the new characters? We should see if they were dumb enough to do that again.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Archenteron posted:

Does that Heros & Heralds mode that lets you use 3 of the same character let you pick different/assists for them? Because an all-Doom(bot) team would be cool.

No. You don't actually play a team of one character, you play one character 3 times.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

They should buff the bad characters instead of making the good ones worse!

Also please make Iron Man top tier Capcom, thanks.

Sorry they heard he won a few games they've decided to take away flight.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Wouldn't Zero go back to being the good but not OP character he was in Vanilla by making his special moves not buster cancelable. Maybe make it like 5 frame startup or something too idk.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

They said that when you ragequit your little star would get downgraded to a skull but I've never seen anything less than silver and that was only in the first week.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

AXE COP posted:

Morrigan is fine.

So was She-Hulk :ssh:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there any interest in having another goon tournament?

I'd be down. I missed the first one and I was hoping there would be more.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

5 million goons want to play tournament but 0 goons want to actually make one.

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/jnsr5dsavr

:itjb:XBOX:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/mfptdh42fr

I've never made one before so take a look and tell me where I went horribly wrong.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Fun posted:

Am I supposed to be signing up with my SA name or my PSN name?

Using your PSN name would speed things up but you can put both if you want.

FSLink posted:

I'll sign up for the tournament, I'll be on the XBL side.

Anybody gonna stream matches for it? I'll do it if nobody else is.

That'd be neat if you did

Does anyone have an idea on when the best time to have these, Weekday vs. Weekend that sort of thing. 9 or 10 eastern is probably the best time of night so people are off work but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

You probably want to remove entrants 2-16. Just saying.

My bad I thought people could edit in their names like I could.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Kuvo posted:

signed up, is there a date set for this yet?

Not yet, waiting to hear a couple more people's opinions. It'll probably be next week to give people a little bit more a heads up. But let me know what dates do and do not work for you. It won't be much of a tournament if only 3 people can play.

Also nice challonge avatar you jerk :argh:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Smeego posted:

I guess that would be up to the newly appointed Mayor of Goon UMvC3 Tournaments, Ybrik, but I don't see why not.

Plus, if they won, they could receive a fabulous :catdrugs:Something Awful forums account, and be on the bleeding edge of Internet witticisms! Whoa!:catdrugs:

poo poo now I feel obligated to play Haggar. If the prize of them winning is becoming goons then I don't see a problem with it. But if they they don't want to join then lets keep is SA only ok?

:siren:Since no one has thrown out anymore suggestions for when they would like it to be I'm gonna go ahead and set it for Thursday the 24th at 9pm EST/6PST. Please let me know if this works for you and if this becomes a regular thing we can always alter the days so more people get to play.:siren:

VVVVVVV
Edit:
For you anything

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 16, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

After hearing you all out I've decided to ignore your terrible opinions stay the course and run it on Thursday the 24th at 9Est/6Pst. Don't worry though as the next one, whether 1 or 2 weeks after, will be on a Wednesday and if all goes well we can throw Hawaiian Shirt a bone and have a Clean Shaven tournament some weekend afternoon.

I'll be taking role in irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3 at the listed time, please join IRC with whatever name you signed up to Challonge with. If you're in the room under a different name and I mark you absent you'll be sol.

I would like to ask for one or two people to volunteer to help with the brackets in case I miss something while playing a match or in the unlikely event that I get hit by a bus on Thursday.

We have two people who volunteered to stream for Xbox FSlink and Kuvo. They can decide which of them wants to stream by deciding who has the better equipment/flipping a coin. Right now we have no one to stream any PS3 matches so if someone is able and doesn't mind that would be neat.

I think thats about it so go get some practice in and lets have a good time on Thursday!

:itjb:http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/mfptdh42fr:itjb:

:spidey:http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/jnsr5dsavr:spidey:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Um Jammer 6096 posted:

Do we have a streamer for the PS3 tourny yet? Or even someone that can record and upload it?

No one has volunteered so far.

Edit:VVV
If you didn't mind that'd be appreciated. Though some people might prefer to play off stream until the end :ninja:

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 22, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

:siren:Tournament tonight 9est/6pst :siren:

Kuvo posted:

So I'm streaming the tournament tonight and have two questions.

- Theres 21 people in the 360 bracket and I believe the UMVC lobbies max out at 8 people. Should I just stick to one side of the bracket and spec all those matches or should I try jumping around to try to show everyone playing?

- Is anyone good at commentary? I could try my hand at it but it would be a pretty dry play-by-play. The other option is to not have any but that seems kind of boring. Shout out in the thread if have any ideas

I'm actually not sure. I'd go with a five man lobby. So that there's a good flow of people being in the room without downtime and extending it to a six person room when your matches are up. If you want you can try to get everyone on stream at least once but I'd stick to winner's bracket after a round or two. Also post your stream url FSLink you too.

NoMoneyDown posted:

I'm signed up on PSN. Hope I didn't miss like a deadline or something.

The only deadline is being in IRC BEFORE 9est/6pst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3 join the room with whatever you signed up as lest I accidently mark you absent. I'm gonna take role and thin out the brackets before it actually starts

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

So based on this thread the 360 tourney is a bunch of people who haven't played in months and Nidhogg. The practicing I'm doing now is the first time I touched the game since February. For those of us where it's different should we be in the IRC under our SA name or our GT?

Whatever you entered as. Since you did both you're fine.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

:siren:brackets:siren:
the brackets mean nothing :shepface:

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 25, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

:siren:Tournament Results:siren:

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/gooooooonss
Winner:Tabs Taskmaster/Trish/Hawkeye Ryu/Iron Man/AKuma
Runner Up: WalrusWhiskers Wolverine/Sentinel/Spencer
Third Place: Disease Arthur/Vergil/Dr. Strange

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/whyyyyyyyy
Winner: Um Jammer 6096 Spence/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath
Runner Up: Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Third Place: Bomper Dante/Doom/Sentinel

Good poo poo everybody. Things didn't go especially smoothly at first but it worked out ok. Special thanks To Kuvo for running the Xbox stream and FSLink for the PS3 stream.

It was a lot of fun and I think the people want more so the next one will be Wednesday May 30th 10pmest/7pmpst. This gives people who weren't able to compete this week a chance to get in there and show us what they got. No brackets this time until tourney day when they will be posted in IRC at 10/7 and the tourney will start at hopefully 10:15

Let me know what you guys thought and think should be changed/kept. :)

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 25, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

theguy2687 posted:

I'm sad I missed the tournament and I don't think I can compete in the next one because it starts too late for me. I have to be up for work in the morning. Could it start at 9:00est or is the time set in stone?

I want to start next weeks a little later cause 6 is pretty early west coast time. But don't worry I plan on alternating it from week to week with a weekend tournament thrown in occasionally.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

So yeah there is another tourny tonight so get in IRC by 10est/7pst if you want to play. irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I guess its close enough to post the Challonge links.

:siren:Tourny Brackets:siren:
PS3
:spidey:http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/j7cmhxztyu:spidey:

Xbox
:itjb:http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/5qhjbnq42y:itjb:

Join the irc and get ready it starts at 10:15 est/7:15 pst so get signed up and in the room before then irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 31, 2012

• Locked thread